Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Febreeze posted:

I debated doing a speedo version but I had already done most of it when I thought of it

maybe I'll update it if they keep going in the playoffs

EDIT: if they make the super bowl I'll change the 3 teams to the 3 they beat to get there and put Jaxson in a speedo

Go Jaguars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Outta curiosity, 49ers fans, between the Packers, Seahawks and Lions, who did you want to play most, middle and least?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1613147487224885248?t=Czr9HBy2e_w1GehSAaZAIw&s=19

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1613206581516156929

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Now I'm curious what's the longest career of a running QB. Steve Young?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It blows my mind that Jason Meyers got an all-pro.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

kiimo posted:

Him or Elway? Although Rodgers has as many career rushing yards as Elway at this point and I'm not sure I'd consider him a running QB.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yeah Elway was a great runner when the play broke down but I don't really remember a lot of designed running plays especially after Terrell Davis was a part of the mix but I have burned away a lot of brain cells over the years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Quinnen and Sauce got robbed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Him or Elway? Although Rodgers has as many career rushing yards as Elway at this point and I'm not sure I'd consider him a running QB.

Randall Cunningham

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
One thing about Lamar, he runs more than any notable QB I can find in the modern era. He has 70% more attempts per game as Vick. I worry that since he's gotten hurt and missed multiple games the last two years, especially with this year being a knee injury, that his career might be 2 franchise tags, then either traded or picked up in FA on a worse team and his career just dies there.

Codependent Poster posted:

Remember that Andrew Luck looked Invincible for a few years too before all the hits started catching up with him.

I'd be worried with Allen constantly taking hits on his runs.

Fun fact, Allen also runs more often than Vick did a full 1 carry more per game. He's a .5 carries per game behind Cam Newton, who also eventually got worn down despite a great start. I also worry that Allen's career might be shortened unless he cuts down on runs at some point.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

just a bunch of bullcrap bullies

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Allen also worries me because he's a big guy and when I watch the Bills it seems like he runs inside a lot and takes hits like a running back. I just get Luck flashbacks to how he rarely avoided contact and sometimes even sought it out.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1613216587040825344

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Allen also worries me because he's a big guy and when I watch the Bills it seems like he runs inside a lot and takes hits like a running back. I just get Luck flashbacks to how he rarely avoided contact and sometimes even sought it out.

The homer perspective I have is that those inside runs occur maybe once or twice in a regular game; he's a bit more judicious about taking the bone crunching hits unless it's a big/close game.

Cam is obviously the closest analog to Allen as a rusher and I'll just tell myself that the Panther's offensive staff was less cognizant on protecting Cam for the long-term. No easy way to quantify it as far as I know, so I can keep living this possible delusion for a while!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Interesting to see the NFL return to byes for the top 2 seeds

(it is good that Tua is not going to have his brain thrown into yet another blender)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MJeff posted:

Outta curiosity, 49ers fans, between the Packers, Seahawks and Lions, who did you want to play most, middle and least?

Packers, Lions, Seahawks most to least. Too much chance for bullshit in a divisional matchup. I'm going for Packers as most because LMFAO, we've had their number since before Kaepernick clowned on them. I'd feel bad about putting the Lions down, but I'd rather do that than go against a Pete Carroll team in the playoffs again.

e. I also see a lot of Kordell Stewart erasure in running QB chat, he was a player ahead of his time.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Quinnen and Sauce got robbed.
I don't think we should take it too seriously. It's just the player's voting.
https://twitter.com/D7_Reed/status/1613210824415367169
https://twitter.com/D7_Reed/status/1613211221661974528

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MJeff posted:

Most: Detroit. It would have been nice to see them in the playoffs.
Least, probably Seattle cuz divisional opponent and all that. Realistically, they are the easiest of the three. The 49ers have pretty much owned them in both games this year though the score doesn't show just how badly.
It looks like rain on Sunday which gives Seattle a massive boost. They have no chance in fair conditions. With the rain that is here and still coming, all bets are off. Doesn't matter how good you are in those conditions.

---

I think Baltimore is being smart in not paying Lamar. He's not a great passer and if he can't run he's not a QB to build around. Franchise him for a year or two then let him go. Or trade him to a dumb team like Arizona who paid too much for a similar QB. Lamar is exciting but always struck me as a ticking time bomb. I can't believe he is only 25, though. I thought he was closer to 30.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is culpepper considered a running qb? i remember him being more mobile than most, but nothing like a vick. maybe like young? young's peak was before i started watching football.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I don't know if it's the case with every team he plays (or if it will be over time), but he got extra yards from the Vikings because they were doing the usual two-hand touch on a scrambling QB assuming he'd be sliding.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wilderthanmild posted:

Fun fact, Allen also runs more often than Vick did a full 1 carry more per game. He's a .5 carries per game behind Cam Newton, who also eventually got worn down despite a great start. I also worry that Allen's career might be shortened unless he cuts down on runs at some point.

Cam hurt his shoulder and refused to get it properly treated so by the end he just couldn’t throw downfield or with accuracy anymore.

As for Luck, he probably would have been better off running instead of taking kill shots behind a garbage OL. At least he’d have been better able to protect himself if he wasn’t trying to complete a pass.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/SBRReview/status/1613225372778172417

i wasn't watching football at the time, so forgive me if this is stupid and old. but how the hell was this not a catch? and i'm assuming this further led to the legend of rodgers somehow?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

I think Baltimore is being smart in not paying Lamar. He's not a great passer

drat, the website issues from this past weekend made a post from 2018 appear.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kiimo posted:

Tarkenton and Bradshaw, also

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

i wasn't watching football at the time, so forgive me if this is stupid and old. but how the hell was this not a catch? and i'm assuming this further led to the legend of rodgers somehow?

Never had full possession he got 2 feet down but he immediately falls down hard and loses the ball

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Re: running QBs

kiimo posted:

Young wasn’t the full time starter in San Francisco until 1991 and was concussed out of the league by early 1999, but drat if that peak wasn’t crazy. 2 MVPs, narrowly missing out on it being 3 in a row when he and Rice split the vote in 1994, and a bunch of fantastic passing numbers for the era.

kiimo posted:

yeah Elway was a great runner when the play broke down but I don't really remember a lot of designed running plays especially after Terrell Davis was a part of the mix but I have burned away a lot of brain cells over the years.

Yeah, Elway was mostly scrambling to extend plays and some occasional QB draws in big situations or near the goal line. He had some rushing yard every year, but usually around 200-250 yards where as Young had a number of 400~ yard years.

a neat cape posted:

Randall Cunningham

He’s a strong contender. QB Eagles had a crazy peak from 87-90, but then he started getting hurt and didn’t really run much during his later years with the Vikings.

abelwingnut posted:

is culpepper considered a running qb? i remember him being more mobile than most, but nothing like a vick. maybe like young? young's peak was before i started watching football.

Yeah, Culpepper was a runner early on. He had at least 400 rushing yards in 5 straight years before getting hurt, and IIRC at one point held the single season record for combined rushing/passing yards by a QB. He was mainly hindered by the Vikings offense being him bombing to Randy Moss, the odd pass to random other guys (Nate Burelson, Kelley Campbell, etc) and no consistent running game once Robert Smith retired. Also lol Mike Tice.

Oh, and obviously Vick.

EDIT:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tarkenton and Bradshaw, also

Yeah, Tarkenton is the obvious old school answer for scrambling all over the place, and Terry did run a fair bit in his early years. The other name from that era is Bobby Douglass, who had 968 in a 14 game season playing for a lovely Bears team in 1972 (In part cause he wasn’t a great passer) and was very much a guy who ran over other dudes. Douglass was once described as a guy who could throw a pass through a wall… if he could actually hit the wall, which speaks of his accuracy lol

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 11, 2023

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

abelwingnut posted:

Cuz the ball hit the ground. He jumps for the ball and catches it but he comes down with the ball hitting the ground. That's pretty much it. If he had taken a few normal steps after catching it then it's a catch. But because he jumps and pretty much falls immediately, he has never exhibited control over the ball so when the ball touches the ground as soon as he hits, it is considered a no catch.

The rules are stupid as gently caress but the receiver needs to control the ball.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What selection criteria would we need to treat it seriously? All-Pro gets dismissed as being just 50 sports writers, Pro Bowl has even worse issues with voting for buddies (since you can vote for teammates) and fan votes, etc. I guess it's maybe intrinsically impossible, but the selection process here seemed pretty carefully considered.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I keep thinking the tassels at the end of the strings are hands

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Metapod posted:

Never had full possession he got 2 feet down but he immediately falls down hard and loses the ball

Didn't this play directly lead to years of iteration on the definition of a catch as well as replay/challenge provisions, making it somehow even more inscrutable to determine?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kordell Stewart had 400+ yards in a season four times, one of those seasons being 537 yards. His best season rushing would be his third year in 1997 with 436 yards and 11 TDs.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

fsif posted:

What selection criteria would we need to treat it seriously? All-Pro gets dismissed as being just 50 sports writers, Pro Bowl has even worse issues with voting for buddies (since you can vote for teammates) and fan votes, etc. I guess it's maybe intrinsically impossible, but the selection process here seemed pretty carefully considered.
An all players vote is no different than the preseason top 100 lists the NFL pumps out. I’d like to think the AP voting is more objective.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Didn't this play directly lead to years of iteration on the definition of a catch as well as replay/challenge provisions, making it somehow even more inscrutable to determine?

and years of Skip shouting "IT WAS A CATCH!" at every opportunity

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The players rules for the vote were:

Which I think are pretty good, and the team is pretty solid IMO.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

MJeff posted:

Seahawks, Packers, Lions most to least. Something about the Lions would've scared me if the 49ers had to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Yes