Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
With Duggan graduating I'd accept someone putting TCU out of the top 5. It's supposed to be a poll about what happens next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

What do you think the big10 and SEC are doing? Feels very much like we are heading toward that eventually with the recent p12 poaches. We are probably one or two Clemson/FSU class program poaches away from there being a football championship subdivision (b10/sec) of the football bowl subdivision.

Bro what do you think FCS already stands for

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Anyone know when the final CFP rankings come out?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

What do you think the big10 and SEC are doing? Feels very much like we are heading toward that eventually with the recent p12 poaches. We are probably one or two Clemson/FSU class program poaches away from there being a football championship subdivision (b10/sec) of the football bowl subdivision.

With the B1G and SEC expanding it sure looks like we're moving in that direction, but I don't know if we really are. First, I don't think it's some conspiracy by those conferences to cast off the dead weight of the rest of FBS or anything, I think it's just self-interested money-grabbing. Second, with the way the expanded playoffs are structured, access to the championship is increasing, not decreasing. There's still the resource gap between the haves and have-nots, but a large number of schools that were previously in the "it's unthinkable we could ever play for a championship" camp can now say "alright, win the conference and we can play for a championship, even if success in the playoff itself might be a very long shot."

skylined! posted:

They don't do post-championship rankings.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

skylined! posted:

Their final rankings is for setting the playoff. AP is pretty much the final poll of record. Or the dirty shrimp poll

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Oh wow, coulda sworn there were final rankings. ok.

Judgy Fucker posted:

There's still the resource gap between the haves and have-nots, but a large number of schools that were previously in the "it's unthinkable we could ever play for a championship" camp can now say "alright, win the conference and we can play for a championship, even if success in the playoff itself might be a very long shot."

Imagining a year where a Tulane does something again like that USC game twice in a row and somehow finds themselves in the championship game isn't too hard to do. It's the magic of ~College Spots~ tbh.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 11, 2023

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sash! posted:

I've never really liked the "meaningless" term because it applies to most games for most teams. After your second loss, your season is pretty much over if you had higher ambitions and definitely over after the third. You could ride a seven game win streak to end the season after that. Why put up the effort for meaningless?

You're going to play your last game. It has to end eventually and odds are it isn't for the title. I thought the point of playing a sport was was to play the game. Isn't that the meaning of the Rose Bowl or the Holiday Bowl or the Digital Monkey Drawings Scam Bowl? If you play well enough to have a winning record, you get one last ride in an invitational. That's the meaning.
I kinda like this argument. It's a nice counterpoint to the kind of brain addicted to min-maxing in every other aspect of life that thinks only a national championship matters.

Edit: That being said, I agree with the sentiment that it's not that useful for figuring out who was actually good after the fact. Who cares, football is fun. Unique matchups and pomp and circumstance are fun. Isn't that why we watch college football in the first place?

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 11, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

Bro what do you think FCS already stands for

:thejoke: was it's a subdivision of a subdivision

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Qwijib0 posted:

I thought we called those houses.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Florida is up to 6 transfers so far, to supplement this class. But there's some indication that Jaden Rashada (4* QB) may have fallen through. 2023 could be another long season without a capable QB.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

All you have to do is win the Big 12; and I don’t see any team in the conference in the upcoming configuration that I’d say definitively “this team could never win the conference.”

I think ISU and Kansas both still have uphill climbs in the new Big XII, but stranger things have happened. The 4 new schools have as good a shot as any at turning out a 10 win, conference champion, low playoff season. And with a bit of luck, could go the way of TCU's undefeated regular season run.

UCF is probably just as strong as WVU was when they first joined the Big XII, and they managed a 10 win season in year 5.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

I kinda like this argument. It's a nice counterpoint to the kind of brain addicted to mix-maxing in every other aspect of life that thinks only a national championship matters.

Edit: That being said, I agree with the sentiment that it's not that useful for figuring out who was actually good after the fact. Who cares, football is fun. Unique matchups and pomp and circumstance are fun. Isn't that why we watch college football in the first place?

I know that the endless coaching carousel and the recent phenomenon of opting out has removed some of the fun of bowls (especially mid-upper tier bows for P5 teams with NFL prospects), but I do think there can be some improvements in the bowl matching system. Unique matchups are great, and I think this combined with competitiveness should be the criteria for matchups. Conference tie ins to bowls are terrible in many cases, especially when you consider that teams get shifted around based on who goes to the playoffs. It really wasn't fair to the players and fans of Oregon State to play Florida, a team that didn't want to be there and didn't even try. And it makes for terrible TV on top of it, which is the whole point of the bowls if we're being honest.

I think I said this elsewhere, but I actually think the 12 team playoff will stabilize the coaching carousel somewhat, since there are more opportunities to get into the playoffs. An undefeated MAC school wouldn't get into the current 4 team playoff, but it probably would (and should) get into a 12 team playoff. If you are a coach that aspires to championships but doesn't want the stress of trying to build a program in a P5 conference, then maybe you stay at Ball State or whatever than take a shot at turning Purdue into a contender.

Komet fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 11, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skylined! posted:

Georgia - 1
Everyone else :shrug:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Florida is up to 6 transfers so far, to supplement this class. But there's some indication that Jaden Rashada (4* QB) may have fallen through.

Man what a loving mess down there. Guess UGA about to return the favor for all the horrible things Spurrier did to them against their will.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nervous posted:

I thought we called those houses.

Can't wait for Arizona to join the Division 1: Football Converted Condo and rack up the nattys

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kayakyakr posted:

I think ISU and Kansas both still have uphill climbs in the new Big XII, but stranger things have happened. The 4 new schools have as good a shot as any at turning out a 10 win, conference champion, low playoff season. And with a bit of luck, could go the way of TCU's undefeated regular season run.

UCF is probably just as strong as WVU was when they first joined the Big XII, and they managed a 10 win season in year 5.

UCF beat a team that beat the Big 12 champs at home. I don’t think the top of the Big 12 was better than the top of the American.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

UCF beat a team that beat the Big 12 champs at home. I don’t think the top of the Big 12 was better than the top of the American.

The KSU loss to Tulane was a pretty big mystery for a lot of the season. Tulane did things to the KSU team that only one other team was able to emulate. ISU was the other team.

Tulane was a good team this year.

Also UCF got demolished by a team that lost to Kansas. So transitive also puts them below the Big XII's 7th best team.

I'd say the top 3 in the American would probably be about 50/50 vs the top 8 of the big XII this year, which is good enough to be in the top 8 of the big XII next year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

Bowls own, this was a great bowl season.

The Cotton Bowl is consequential as Tulane ends the season with a top 10 rank. I think Tulane is losing too many key players to repeat this success next season. If they did, starting the season within the top 15-20 gives them a chance to make the playoffs.

The last 3 Tulane games are probably the top 3 important wins for the school in modern CFB history.

If they lose the Cincy game, Willie Fritz isn't turned off by GA Tech demanding he accept their offer before the conference championship as Tulane wouldn't have made it to that game.

The AAC championship was a massive success for the team, they had a wild home crowd, played in a conference championship for the first time in decades, and won. This game was incredible for any Tulane fan. This game led them to the Cotton Bowl and an increase in donations.

The Cotton Bowl victory has led to an even greater increase in donations. There are rumors Tulane and Willie Fritz are working on a long term extension. The school is committing to athletic facility upgrades. I can understand how it may seem inconsequential from the outside but a victory for Tulane in a game that big was massive.

I'm happy to see Tulane investing in the program after their great season. My curiosity is what's next for Tulane? Are they trying to position themselves for a conference move to, say, the Big XII? Are they just wanting to set themselves up to be the top of the heap for the AAC for the foreseeable future? Being the top of the AAC is not the worst idea. Can be the Boise of the East.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Qwijib0 posted:

Conform or be cast out

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Given the state of Boise these days I think it's more like the next Boise. Even if they go back to form, winning the AAC is still going to mean a playoff spot much of the time. Going to be a question of investment, and who wants to do it first. For starters, time for SMU to nut up or shut up about their program investment or they could get run over by someone like Tulane, or even by the best newcomer in UTSA.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Silly Burrito posted:

Georgia - 1
Everyone else :shrug:

Pretty much. I was going to put the rest as a tie for 2nd: Mulch in your garden

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The only thing that concerns me about the 12 team playoff is that if you picked 12 teams now, you're probably getting 10 right. Oh you'll be completely wrong about the seeding, but who you picked?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

The only thing that concerns me about the 12 team playoff is that if you picked 12 teams now, you're probably getting 10 right. Oh you'll be completely wrong about the seeding, but who you picked?

Isn't that a feature? If you get 1 wrong in the 4 team playoff, you have 25% of your field hosed. Missing 1 out of 12 is only worth 8.67%. And the 2 you got wrong? The teams that would have replaced them are also probably not going to be competitive in the field either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean arguably we just picked two of the wrong teams for the playoffs so that won’t have changed

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Come to butthead

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean arguably we just picked two of the wrong teams for the playoffs so that won’t have changed

I dunno who goes instead of the 4 they had. Pretty iffy arguments for the teams in 5-10 spots vs. "We're taking all the undefeated and 1-loss P5 teams"

Obviously Tulane should have been in the playoffs, but that wasn't gonna happen.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Isn't that a feature? If you get 1 wrong in the 4 team playoff, you have 25% of your field hosed. Missing 1 out of 12 is only worth 8.67%. And the 2 you got wrong? The teams that would have replaced them are also probably not going to be competitive in the field either.

I just think it is boring.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

kayakyakr posted:

The basketball tournament creates some griping about snubs, and the last four teams in there are ranked somewhere around 40th. People are going to gripe regardless, although it's a fair point that the CFP rank 13 team is not likely to have been competitive in the actual bracket.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's football, single elimination, weird poo poo can always happen in any given game. The chaotic nature of playoff games is one of the best parts of the NFL, so why not have a playoff game situation where Tulane beats Bama in a monsoon, or Notre Dame gets blown out by James Madison?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Mega64 posted:

It's football, single elimination, weird poo poo can always happen in any given game. The chaotic nature of playoff games is one of the best parts of the NFL, so why not have a playoff game situation where Tulane beats Bama in a monsoon, or Notre Dame gets blown out by James Madison?

I feel like it's only the fans of the 5-6 teams that have a realistic chance in a 4 team playoff that complain about this. Oh no, there might be an upset, we can't allow that. Fans of non-playoff teams want upsets. That's what makes single elimination tournaments so fun.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My only hope is that when these playoffs are also unsatisfying you playoff-likers all admit you're wrong and disband the playoffs and bring back the BCS.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Did a little research on an idle afternoon on what the 12-team playoff field (under the upcoming 6+6 format) would've looked like from 1998 to present, going off of final BCS rankings from 1998-2013 and CFP Committee rankings from 2014 to present. Across those 25 seasons, 67 of 130 current FBS teams would have at least one playoff appearances, and 58 out of 68 (85%) of Power 5 programs (as of 2023-24) would have at least 1 appearance.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

All 6+6 playoff fields, 1998-2022:

That's correct, this exercise is bookended by Tulane playoff appearances.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 12, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Power 5 champs that would have missed the 12-team field (per BCS/Committee rankings):

1999 - Stanford, Pac-10
2000 - Purdue, Big Ten
2004 - Michigan, Big Ten
2005 - Florida State, ACC
2006 - Wake Forest, ACC :(
2010 - Virginia Tech, ACC
2012 - Wisconsin, Big Ten
2020 - Oregon, Pac-12**********

(Note that P5 conference champions basically never finish outside of the top 15 with the advent of the Playoff Committee)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 12, 2023

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet, Tennessee into the second round of the playoffs confirmed.

In sadder news, my grandfather died today. He didn't really like football, but he had an Ohio State shirt and he made sure to wear it when he thought we would care. If you ever threw tomahawks or shot arrows at Dollywood, you might remember him:

https://youtu.be/q0IibRV5_KM

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sorry for your loss

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hazing investigation at Northwestern, can't imagine I'd put up with much for the sake of joining that program

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Walker Howard to the transfer portal??

https://twitter.com/shreveporttimes/status/1613328664220803072

Did not expect that at all.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Did a little research on an idle afternoon on what the 12-team playoff field (under the upcoming 6+6 format) would've looked like from 1998 to present, going off of final BCS rankings from 1998-2013 and CFP Committee rankings from 2014 to present. Across those 25 seasons, 67 of 130 current FBS teams would have at least one playoff appearances, and 58 out of 68 (85%) of Power 5 programs (as of 2023-24) would have at least 1 appearance.

I know Kansas State has been a good program for the last 25 years, but didn't realize they were "tied for 10th in hypothetical playoff appearances" good during that time, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kayakyakr posted:

The KSU loss to Tulane was a pretty big mystery for a lot of the season. Tulane did things to the KSU team that only one other team was able to emulate. ISU was the other team.

Tulane was a good team this year.

Also UCF got demolished by a team that lost to Kansas. So transitive also puts them below the Big XII's 7th best team.

I'd say the top 3 in the American would probably be about 50/50 vs the top 8 of the big XII this year, which is good enough to be in the top 8 of the big XII next year.

UCF lost their defensive coordinator before their bowl, imo that prob helps explain the loss.

kayakyakr posted:

I'm happy to see Tulane investing in the program after their great season. My curiosity is what's next for Tulane? Are they trying to position themselves for a conference move to, say, the Big XII? Are they just wanting to set themselves up to be the top of the heap for the AAC for the foreseeable future? Being the top of the AAC is not the worst idea. Can be the Boise of the East.

Top of the American for a while would be cool but I hope their goal is to eventually move to the Big 12 or ACC so they can have more money to compete. I’d like to imagine their announced facility upgrades are building to that.

Silly Burrito posted:

Walker Howard to the transfer portal??

https://twitter.com/shreveporttimes/status/1613328664220803072

Did not expect that at all.

He was too embarrassed to play for the second best team in Louisiana.

Also, lol that LSU continues to be too scared to play Tulane despite still owing them a game in New Orleans. As much poo poo as I give ULL about not knowing their school’s name, at least they aren’t afraid of scheduling Tulane.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 12, 2023