Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

You write them down :shepface:

whyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

What stats are people using for big caverns? I hate the maze like passages and want some bigger path and wide open areas for me to build an organic dwarf city.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Games only half finished!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Once you assign the hall you can see if it was part of an agreement along with the needed value of the room, with the magnifying glass.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah for guilds there will be a thing that says "agreed to build a grand guildhall" or whatever when you designate the zone.

Ghaz posted:

Just lost about 30 children who decided to take the scenic route into an ongoing conflict between olm men and ant folk. Some casualties are inevitable, as I understand dwarves are hungry for death, but I'd like to keep them to a minimum.

there some kind of protocol I can implement to ensure that my entire population doesn't sprint into the caverns any time I open them up? disabling all hauling & automatic web collection are a start, but it feels like I'm missing something.

There's no easy way to deal with this right now. Even with really strict burrow and traffic restrictions, they'll find excuses to path down there if you don't lock it off. Personally my plan for my new fort is to make an airlock and make 10-20 of my migrants cavern-only dwarves who can bring in and trade goods with the surface in a mutually agreeable space, but the rest of my fort will have no path to the caverns at all.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Appoda posted:

In a mass-casualty event, you could go into your stocks and set all your dead dogs to dumping. Could also create a stockpile somewhere for bodies, or go into your labor settings and set bodies to dumping (no idea if this will dump your citizens too if you don't already have open tombs ready for them).

"check my stocks for dead dogs" didn't occur to me, but yeah, I'll have to do that next time. The problem this time was so many died of old age at the exact same moment that it was like "Stray Dog was found dead x5" so I couldn't even check them individually from the announcements.

Ghaz posted:

there some kind of protocol I can implement to ensure that my entire population doesn't sprint into the caverns any time I open them up? disabling all hauling & automatic web collection are a start, but it feels like I'm missing something.

If you set up a role for "cleaning, refuse, and body hauling" and explicitly set it to nobody does this before cracking the cork it helps (along with disabling chores for kids), but really the best approach I've found is to make sure you have airlocks and burrow squads/small groups in between them until you're really ready to expose the area to the population at large.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Buschmaki posted:

https://pastebin.com/TXZji6n6

Here's the worldgen, if you tweak around with it to completely eliminate oceans that'd be lit, I was too worried messing with rainfall and drainage would eliminate the small forests that pop up. Just allow all exceptions, you might have to run the gen a couple times to get all kinds of civs, I had to bump up the number of genned civs cause before the single dwarf civilization that existed would just get overrun by goblins. I also tweaked the caverns to be more open, and that might not be to everyone's liking.

Awesome, thanks! I'm having a ton of trouble like you said with Dwarf civs though. Does anyone know what a dwarf civ needs to thrive in world gen? Some of them just don't seem to be spreading out at all before they get wrecked

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There WAS a petitions menu in the last pre-Steam build so I think the functionality is in there somewhere. It's possible it was either overlooked or was reorganized.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

For caverns and dwarves instantly sprinting in to it I uhh zoom all the way out and forbid everything.

My 9 year old fort has an FPS of 17… guess I’ll buy a new computer.

I got a giant war bear though hell yeah

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Two beasts enter

One beast leaves

BUT WAIT WHO'S THAT IN THE AUDIENCE WITH A STEEL CHAIR

I think the elves are really just fantasy OSHA, at this point, they know what's going on when they bitch about you cutting down trees

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Appoda posted:

There's no easy way to deal with this right now. Even with really strict burrow and traffic restrictions, they'll find excuses to path down there if you don't lock it off. Personally my plan for my new fort is to make an airlock and make 10-20 of my migrants cavern-only dwarves who can bring in and trade goods with the surface in a mutually agreeable space, but the rest of my fort will have no path to the caverns at all.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you set up a role for "cleaning, refuse, and body hauling" and explicitly set it to nobody does this before cracking the cork it helps (along with disabling chores for kids), but really the best approach I've found is to make sure you have airlocks and burrow squads/small groups in between them until you're really ready to expose the area to the population at large.

drat I was worried that strict segregation would be the answer. It's a shame because I was sorta hoping to use the swarm for rapid wall-building. I’ve tried save scumming things a few times and never had fewer than 20 dead, mostly children. Maybe that's okay. This fort's getting a bit stale.

Speaking of which, this fort is almost 6 years old and I have yet to be goblin-sieged, even though I definitely embarked in a spot where there were goblins within a day's travel, and I've got a decent amount of wealth.

I haven't really played df since like... 2015, so maybe the mechanics have changed a lot? I seem to recall that a goblin siege happened like clockwork back in the day. Are they avoiding me because of my good surroundings?

I just made a great trap and really want to drop some goblins like 15 stories, lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If I wanna drop a cave in on a forgotten beast, will a floor layer be enough to kill it or do I need a solid z level?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm noticing that the caverns have distinct grid-lines in some of my games. is there anything I can do about it?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm noticing that the caverns have distinct grid-lines in some of my games. is there anything I can do about it?

The surface is the same. I think it's based off the world map tiles in your embark area

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Ghaz posted:

drat I was worried that strict segregation would be the answer. It's a shame because I was sorta hoping to use the swarm for rapid wall-building. I’ve tried save scumming things a few times and never had fewer than 20 dead, mostly children. Maybe that's okay. This fort's getting a bit stale.

Speaking of which, this fort is almost 6 years old and I have yet to be goblin-sieged, even though I definitely embarked in a spot where there were goblins within a day's travel, and I've got a decent amount of wealth.

I haven't really played df since like... 2015, so maybe the mechanics have changed a lot? I seem to recall that a goblin siege happened like clockwork back in the day. Are they avoiding me because of my good surroundings?

I just made a great trap and really want to drop some goblins like 15 stories, lol

It might be that you're at peace with the goblins. Even if they're listed as hostile, they won't come if there's no war, or a way to learn about your artifacts (taverns, libraries and etc). Could be that your civ made peace a month after you embarked.

An easy way to fix that is to go to the world screen and send out some raiding parties. If you have a tavern, you probably already have a good idea of where some artifacts or books are - go out and take em! Piss off the humans and elves too if you want.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Arrath posted:

So I started a new fort recently, with a handful of mods (Interface tweaks, No Aquifers, 2.5d walls). When I loaded the save earlier I was prompted to update 2.5d walls, sure nbd its just a graphics mod.

Once I loaded in and unpaused, I was notified that my smelting orders failed because I was out of flux stone. Weird I thought I'd mined some, better go designate more. Scroll to that floor and, yup, lots of rocks on the ground but, wait. They're not limestone rocks.

Other than Jet, Microcline, and Bauxite, all the stone (both mined chunks and in-place walls) in my fort transmuted to various forms of evil poo poo and/or divine metals? I think? Got a whole-rear end floor of twinkling metal waiting to be mined. Looking around I've also found walls made of Frozen Abhorrent Muck and Creeping Smoke. I'm not settled anywhere near to an evil zone. And the 2.5d walls mod only touches tile art so...what in the absolute gently caress?

Time to equip a squad in full twinkling metal gear, I guess.

Yeah, that's definitely one of your mods breaking something. Possibly mixing some reference values up.

Edit: Re: Figuring out which temples and guild halls you've promised: Basically just look for the religion (yellow name on the list) or guild with the most members that don't already have a temple/hall. Guilds in particular need >10 members before they request a hall, and if it's the first one in the fort, I can almost guarantee it's farmers.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 11, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Wafflecopper posted:

If I wanna drop a cave in on a forgotten beast, will a floor layer be enough to kill it or do I need a solid z level?

Solid, natural (or obsidian cast) z-level. Floors, ramps, stairs and all constructions collapse into boulders (or the construction material), which do a lot of damage but are not guaranteed to kill.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I've tracked down the thief in the fortress who's stolen an artifact. After an interrogation and conviction, he's still hanging onto it. How do I get it back? (is it murder?)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

So I've tracked down the thief in the fortress who's stolen an artifact. After an interrogation and conviction, he's still hanging onto it. How do I get it back? (is it murder?)

Are you sure he still has it? It’s pretty common for thieves to hand over the goods to accomplices who then leave the fort with the stolen item.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I saw it in his inventory. Murdered him and its back on the pedestal.

---

Okay a few years on and my nice fortress entrance is ONCE AGAIN covered in corpses, junk and gore. How do I clean up this horrible mess? Whats a good way to construct an entrance that isnt constantly messy? some sort of ridiculous water flushing system?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 11, 2023

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

first time ive seen this

e: the site was dwarven, but a bronze colossus destroyed it, and a kobold squatted it in before being eaten by a yeti
e2: it was a kobold that was part of a kobold bandit gang

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 11, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay a few years on and my nice fortress entrance is ONCE AGAIN covered in corpses, junk and gore. How do I clean up this horrible mess? Whats a good way to construct an entrance that isnt constantly messy? some sort of ridiculous water flushing system?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
been working on updating an old mod i made and it is fun to see that screwing with personality values has a lot of knock-on effects

its pretty on the nose

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
So I settled on a nice cliff with a couple of waterfalls.

I noticed that caravans and merchants that came by were kind of light on supplies.
Then, I got an alert that someone was found, drowned.
At the bottom of the waterfall.

Is there something I can do to: A) stop having merchants get sucked into the waterfall? Or should I just have a different entrance point into my fort.
and B) get all the loot from the bottom of the waterfall? Safely, ideally.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
For the latter one, dig an inlet canal up behind the waterfall that you can seal and drain somehow (to the right of the goods in that screenshot), and then pop it open. The water flow will suck the items in as it floods the canal, and then you shut it off and drain it, boom, free items.

For the former, you can sort of control where the merchants go if you limit where wagons can path. Make sure there's only one three-tile wide path out of your fort entrance until it gets past the waterfall danger zone. You can help control that with slabs or statues lining your roads, for instance. It won't necessarily stop the individual guys from derping off cliffs but they'll tend to follow the wagons' routes.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zeruel posted:

I noticed that caravans and merchants that came by were kind of light on supplies.

Is there something I can do to: A) stop having merchants get sucked into the waterfall? Or should I just have a different entrance point into my fort.

B's been answered, my suspicion with A is that if you move or extend the left bridge down one square or cut the wall upwards one square so that there's a clear 3x3 route with one turn for the wagons to follow they'll probably have less of a problem pathfinding without running into poo poo or getting bumped off the road by other people in the caravan

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
both sound good. I'm currently in the process of building a 3 wide path around the embark because I also suspect the sheer number of trees is affecting caravans as well. its not the prettiest solution(until I make it a golden path) but it'll do

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've just started making my roads/paths/ramps 4-5 wide just for safety. Wagons are treacherous beasts

---

Should you be writing this down for me?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Clay Loam? No I've never met him.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Learned a valuable lesson about cave ins after dropping a 9-long section of ground through 5 occupied z-levels :cripes:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Zeruel posted:

I have a natural 10 z level fall and noticed that there are two injured barons on level 4 just floating there with no activity. I wonder if they are causing my FPS issues… I’m going to rescue them and see. Everything on the map freezes early autum - late spring. I’m going to just build walls around it afterwards jesus like 10 visitors have just strolled right down the waterfall and died at this point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Wait, what's ligma?

ligma, often referred to as "brown coal" is a soft, brown, combustible sedimentary rock formed naturally from naturally compressed penis

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Zeruel posted:

In my experience, visitors and sometimes invaders love to path themselves over waterfalls or into inlet pipes. Short of totally walling off your rivers you can only do so much.

Your question about how to collect their stuff has been answered, but here's my setup from the bottom of my waterfall if it's helpful:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

ChickenWing posted:

Learned a valuable lesson about cave ins after dropping a 9-long section of ground through 5 occupied z-levels :cripes:

I learned this after accidentally chopping off part of a scaffold for my mister... that was above my main stairwell shaft through the entire fortress.

It was only one tile, but it went down a good thirty Z-levels and took two dwarves and a dog with it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

For picking up stuff I make sure that the standing orders are changed to dwarves picking up outside refuse, make sure to have a refuse/corpse pile, and then set those to go to my atom smasher drawbridge refuse zone every time that stockpile gets filled up and IME with that standing order changed literally every single dwarf that can haul will rush out and throw away poo poo as soon as you mark things for deletion. My capped ~120 dwarf fort can pick up garbage in less than 15 seconds outside and then it's just pulling a lever to delete the garbage.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shortly before yet another fortress was flooded due to the chief engineer not remembering how water pressure works, this happened.

Keep rocking, Dwarf Fortress.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nessus posted:

There WAS a petitions menu in the last pre-Steam build so I think the functionality is in there somewhere. It's possible it was either overlooked or was reorganized.

Many menus were lost in the transition from classic to Steam, like the ammunition management menu.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Speaking of!! I tried making marksdwarf squads and doing the "make a uniform, then make a squad and give them the uniform and then they'll get ammo" thing and they still won't practice in the archery range! Dang it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

EthanSteele posted:

Speaking of!! I tried making marksdwarf squads and doing the "make a uniform, then make a squad and give them the uniform and then they'll get ammo" thing and they still won't practice in the archery range! Dang it

Do you have metal bolts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Try adding a no box pile of bolts to the zone and make sure the squad is assigned to practice there and nowhere else. That's the only thing that worked for me.