Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

IMHO if you really want to have a marksdwarf squad, train them via hunting. It'll be slower but quite a bit less annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

To be clear, the issue with bins in stockpiles is the same everywhere as it is for marksdwarves: if anyone is doing a job related to the container or something in it, they claim the container for that job. So if someone's bringing some bolts from the craftsdwarf to the stockpile, the bin is claimed until they drop them off, during which your marksdwarves can't access any bolts in it. If a marksdwarf is picking up bolts for their uniform, the bin is claimed, and no one else can pick up bolts from it. That's why you don't want to use bins. Same goes for barrels with workshop-linked stockpiles.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
you also need to build archery targets, and as I kept forgetting those are just directly built instead of being furniture.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

EthanSteele posted:

Speaking of!! I tried making marksdwarf squads and doing the "make a uniform, then make a squad and give them the uniform and then they'll get ammo" thing and they still won't practice in the archery range! Dang it

The only thing that worked for me was deleting the squad and recreating it. Haven't tried with anything other than the default archer uniform though

e: completely unrelated, how do you go about fulfilling your dwarfs needs for training a martial skill? Does every dwarf you find with that need just get thrown in a "train two months a year" squad or something?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I made a weekend warrior squad that does training somewhere safe, but honestly I haven't observed it closely enough to tell if it helps. I think they need to gain a level in a fighting skill to fulfill the need?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
After I got to like 20 dudes and some iron I made a 4man squad who’s entire every day existence was training. I didn’t have any trouble scaling upward as time went on and getting a bunch of squads of axe lords. I’d say just however many you can afford, dedicate them to full time training and only come out of the barracks for war.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Appoda posted:

I made a weekend warrior squad that does training somewhere safe, but honestly I haven't observed it closely enough to tell if it helps. I think they need to gain a level in a fighting skill to fulfill the need?

Yeah, "gets a skillup" I think is the only thing that actively meets that need

I've just focused mostly on meeting all the recurring needs by
- putting a billion overlapping social zones like temples and guild halls under a mist generator with enough super expensive statues to overcome the overlap deprecation
- two dozen craft workshops, a recurring seasonal "make 30 rock crafts" order, and a "dwarf kindergarten" role that's the only people who do crafts when the persistently unhappy people get to below-neutral
- marking all my finished good bins to be moved to the trade depot when traders show up even though I don't actually bother selling any of them anymore

I also tried setting up a stockpile of unbinned finished goods to be set up in a main throughfare between the bedrooms and the dining hall and then tweak the stockpile so they're just laying on the ground, but it's hard to tell if they bother picking any of them up as they path over them or only acquire things when they're actively hauling finished goods from one stockpile to another

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thanks for the advice and questions everyone!

I have metal bolts and I even did the no boxes thing just in case the same thing as seeds happens. Its an archery range and not a barracks and they don't train in the barracks only the archery range and they still refuse after deleting the squad and remaking it.

johnny park posted:

IMHO if you really want to have a marksdwarf squad, train them via hunting. It'll be slower but quite a bit less annoying

Yeah, that's where I'm at right now, making them all hunters and hoping for the best. Giants keep showing up and a human caravan bugged out and refuses to leave so there are just 3 human soldiers at the gate which helps a lot beating the hell out of them.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

So my monarch just rolled up. I’m super tempted to lock him in the trash compactor and roll the dice on what happens once his goose is cooked.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

So my monarch just rolled up. I’m super tempted to lock him in the trash compactor and roll the dice on what happens once his goose is cooked.

no gods no masters

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The dwarves in my fort have been writing a number of books about the phases of the moon (perhaps because of the absurd amount of weremarmots that have attacked)
but something about the subtitle of this one just kills me.

Also this militia captain is a very good boy:

:allears:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

mine died of (actually) natural causes and I've had shockingly little happen from it, apart from the previous mayor being re-elected to mayor

as far as I can tell I'm still the capital despite the ex-monarch having kids, I'm not sure if the new one just won't roll up until I hit some requirement that I can't actually see in the steam version or if they all died in a dragon attack offscreen and now we're an effective democracy or what

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

There's something up with noble replacement currently I think. Every time anyone higher than a mayor dies in my fort, they are never replaced.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the queen moved to my fort and then was killed by walking into a goblin siege like a month later and was apparently never replaced. I'd just finished her fancy living quarters but never got the chance to designate them for anyone

I assume some kind of rules of succession were still in play because a few months later a dwarf with the King title showed up as a visitor and then I guess got into a fight with the militia commander

I need to figure out how to check what actually happened here because lmao

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

The question of "why should I let these fools join my fort to entertain people" inspired me, so I set out to create a fort that was purely for entertainment purposes. Located conveniently on a pre-built road, anyone is welcome and everyone who wants to entertain gets immediate acceptance, regardless of their skills.

The inner fort? Total poo poo. Nothing planned, just started throwing workshops willy nilly. I have two dorms that can sleep maybe 1/6 of the population, and I set up more cage traps than I ever have before just so I don't have to deal with the military too much.

I generally ignore guilds until they become too persistent, but the religion my fort attracted seems appropriate

A giant named Pridesteel showed up before the grand opening. He was trying to start some trouble, but I gave him a job.

Anybody causing a ruckus (mostly snake people in the caverns) gets to meet him in his pit. I keep getting notifications of people revealing the location of an object called the Banner of Destruction, which I have to assume are drunken dares because the Banner of Destruction is a bronze crossbow strapped to Pridesteel's back.

Speaking of snake people, I tried to give a couple of them jobs as bouncers. It went okay, until a human pikeman stabbed them to death.

But anyway here is Cudgellock. The ground floor has a dancefloor and bar (only one instrument so far), with access to the Gold Patio, an open-air space for nice weather and smoking. All tables, chairs, doors, chests, and goblets are gold, and all statues are marble. To the south are residence rooms for travelers (work in progress).

On the second floor is the Marble Room which people tend to prefer, presumably because the floor is nicer? Or they just don't like dancing.

The population is 44% entertainers. I am on great terms with humans and elves, despite having little to trade other than caged beasts and the occasional extra gems. By far the biggest issue is the rate of booze consumption, which is impossible to keep up with. I just killed two dwarves trying to get magma, but once that is done I hope to make a much larger farm so I can start to keep up with demand.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I spent the last few days playing Factorio and Captain of Industry, and nothing in either one of those games is nearly as arcane and complex as setting up a loving dye production line in Dwarf Fortress :psyduck:

Okay so my stockpile has:
Cloth
Food -> Plants -> The 4 Dye plants
Food -> Milled Plants - the 4 Dyes
Furniture -> Bags (with quality/materials)
Furniture -> Sand Bags
Bins & Barrels both set to 0 (which is annoying because they default back to max any time you even view your custom stockpile's settings, which causes this issue in the first place)
Wheelbarrows (tried with and without, no luck either way)

My dwarves absolutely will not remove the several bags of dye plants from the barrel they are in to place them in this stockpile. In fact they refused to move the barrel out of the stockpile whatsoever - I had to designate it as trash to get that done. But then, even after un-designating it as trash, they won't take the plant bags out. I tried deleting the trash zone and creating a new one elsewhere, then designating the plant bags (but not the barrel) as trash and they refuse to touch them.

All of this is a problem because the Quern and the Dye Shop cannot use ingredients that are nested two layers deep in containers. Since both plants and the dyes they mill into get stored in bags which in turn default to getting stored in barrels/bins, you cannot use either one until you remove them from the barrel/bin they're in.

I've never had a working dye shop in this game and today is the most effort I've put in to figuring it out and it's all just absolutely mystifying to me

Is there some hidden stockpile category I'm missing that's explicitly for "bags full of plants" or "bags full of dye"? Even if I quit using this workshop-specific stockpile, the dwarves will never remove the plant bags from the barrel.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 11, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As near as I can tell this game is utterly incapable of of differentiating a bin from its contents. If you have scepters in a bin, it's a scepter bin, if you crows in a bin, it's a crown bin, and both of those bins can move around to appropriate (i.e. scepter) stockpiles no problem. If you've got a bin containing a scepter and a crown it's now a "scepter and crown" bin, and can only be contained in a stockpile that takes both, and dwarves absolutely will not split up the items

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

In the militia uniform interface, other than assigning a specific weapon in your fortress, is there any way to specify what material your dwarves should use for weapons like you can for armor?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've never tried on the "individual choice" option, but if it's a "short sword" uniform you can specify steel or whatever as normal

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Will dwarves ever upgrade their equipment? Assuming I’ve got a squad in full iron gear and then get steel production up and running, will the existing squad upgrade their gear by themselves next time they go on scheduled duty or do I have to delete the squad and reform it?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

You can get dwarves to split items out of bins by making new stockpiles for the specific item you want separated. I use this to make them take my infinite bone crafts back and forth between stockpiles in the hopes they'll take a few and be happy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My cloth industry setup is:

One stockpile that accepts pig tails, dimple cups, dimple dye, and empty bags. No other stockpiles in the fortress accept any of those items. All my millstones are set to take from this stockpile only. Another stockpile for leather/cloth/yarn/silk/thread, and a third for finished goods made of leather/cloth/yarn/silk

The work orders are:

When there are at least 10 dimple cups, mill plants x 10. Setting this one up is a bit of a pain; you need a custom conditional and describe dimple cups with the adjective "dimple item" and the type "plant"
when there are at least 10 processable plants, process plant x 10
When there are at least ten undyed cloths and at least 10 dyes, dye cloth x 10
When there are 0 empty bags, makes 10 cloth bags

I'm not sure if the work order system is powerful enough to express something like "if there are less than 10 unclaimed good-condition socks, make more socks". I haven't played around with it enough yet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

johnny park posted:

You can get dwarves to split items out of bins by making new stockpiles for the specific item you want separated. I use this to make them take my infinite bone crafts back and forth between stockpiles in the hopes they'll take a few and be happy

What do I need to select in a stockpile to get them to move bags of dye plants out of a barrel? It seems to be impossible as far as I can tell, if your plant bags get accidentally placed in a barrel there is no way to get them out

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Oh, I don't know if barrel items can be split that way. Sorry

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's probably the problem, since plant bags go in barrels they're probably considered a liquid that can't just be emptied out of the barrel. But since any work orders trying to use them are targeting the plants that are inside the bag, rather than the bag, the dwarves can't get at them :argh:

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is awesome, my favorite thing is the human hiding in the room of gold behind the statues probably jerkin it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dyes (contained in bags) are considered a mill product and go in a food stockpile, as far as I remember.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Can you trade the dye bag to a trader and buy it back after creating a single stockpile that will take only dye bags?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wait, are you saying dimple cups are in a bag in a barrel, or dimple dye is? The latter is normal and I haven't had any problems using dye in barrels. If you're having trouble with that, the issue is likely elsewhere. I've never seen the former--my dwarves always put the dimple cups directly into a barrel

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deep dish peat moss posted:

What do I need to select in a stockpile to get them to move bags of dye plants out of a barrel? It seems to be impossible as far as I can tell, if your plant bags get accidentally placed in a barrel there is no way to get them out

I would try:
- Make a custom stockpile of Furniture->Type->Bags, all materials/quality, make sure the barrels are set to 0.
- Set it to take from whatever your current dye barrel bag stockpile is
- (Optionally) Set your current dye barrel bag stockpile to not accept the dye bags anymore
- (Optionally) Cull the size or outright delete your current dye barrel bag stockpile, so the dye-bag-barrels aren't in any stockpile anymore

Check the task list with the game unpaused periodically before doing the optional steps; if you see tasks to "store item in stockpile" targeted on the newly-created stockpile then it should be happening. Stockpiles sourcing from other stockpiles seems to Just Work when you're moving entire barrels/bins or individual items, but I've found that splitting items out of containers (like switching from an "all metal bars" stockpile to "pig iron", "steel", and "everything else" stockpile) tends to never happen unless you explicitly reject the split types from the source stockpile. Bags are probably going to be even more irritating than that since the game seems to consider a bag a bag regardless of if it's empty or filled with gypsum or sand, but just keep an eye on your task list and you should be able to figure something out.

That's probably the problem, since plant bags go in barrels they're probably considered a liquid that can't just be emptied out of the barrel. But since any work orders trying to use them are targeting the plants that are inside the bag, rather than the bag, the dwarves can't get at them :argh:

If dwarves can get meals out of containers then they should be able to get bags too, I think it's just the recurring thing of "anything that needs a container means the container can't be interacted with by anyone else" thing again.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 11, 2023

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Azhais posted:

I've never tried on the "individual choice" option, but if it's a "short sword" uniform you can specify steel or whatever as normal

Thanks. Seems like you can't tell them "use whatever you like as long as it's steel," which is annoying.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks. Seems like you can't tell them "use whatever you like as long as it's steel," which is annoying.

I set mine to individual choice in general and made sure to have a bunch of steel weapons laying around and they seemed to gravitate towards "best available", generally

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so with regards to adamantine

Are the obsidian columns now their new form?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Use dumping. Make a garbage dump next to the barrel, dump the contents but forbid the barrel. Then when dwarves finish moving the stuff, unforbid the dye bags.

This is the general manual solution of getting x out of y. Useful in varied circumstances (such as taking weapons out of the hands of caged goblins).

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I set mine to individual choice in general and made sure to have a bunch of steel weapons laying around and they seemed to gravitate towards "best available", generally

You don't really want to do this, fyi. Training works best when everyone involved is carrying the same weapon (as in, affected by the same skill). Initial skill differences mostly even out in a few months of training.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I set squads to individual melee choice because as far as I can tell this is the only way to get a remotely comprehensive list of weapon skills possessed by your dwarfs, via the recruitment screen

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tuna-Fish posted:

You don't really want to do this, fyi. Training works best when everyone involved is carrying the same weapon (as in, affected by the same skill). Initial skill differences mostly even out in a few months of training.

I thought the reccommendation was literally the opposite of this, "make sure any given squad's carrying a range of weapon types so you don't get screwed by having an all-hammer squad and have something show up resistant to hammers"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I usually do an individual choice squad that I use for military dwarf identification so I can sort them into weapon specific squads (or create new ones), and the squad otherwise gets full of mercs

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend posted:

...The population is 44% entertainers...

Follow-up, I just got so many BWOOOONG raid alerts all at once that I thought my game was broken. Currently my pleasure palace is being raided by a 6 different forces, including a cave crocodile named Clapdoor who is musical but uncreative. Every snake person you see? Each one is is blinking between that and another creature.

All told there are 8 cave crocodiles, 9 elk birds, 10 giant cave toads, 4 giant olms, 5 giant rats, and 41 snake people in this raid. I really hope they just take out their frustrations on each other because I am not equipped for this.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

They're blinking like that because the snake person is riding that animal as a mount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Caverns are still nuts then, I take it? I thought maybe they were going to curb the 50-100+ cavern invasions when they fixed the corruption bug, but I guess not.