Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The actual list of rushing QBs is kinda fun:

From that list, Fran Tarkenton had the longest career.

Russ will probably overtake Cam Newton if he plays 2-3 more full seasons.

It's also funny to see Fitzmagic and Alex Smith on that list too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Good morning TFF. It is January 11th in TYOOL 2023 and the Jacksonville Jaguars are still in the NFL playoffs and the New England Patriots are not.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Mark Brunell????

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alaois posted:

Mark Brunell????
God told him to play on the torn ACL!!!

Nervous posted:

Good morning TFF. It is January 11th in TYOOL 2023 and the Jacksonville Jaguars are still in the NFL playoffs and the New England Patriots are not.
Inshallah

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MJeff posted:

Outta curiosity, 49ers fans, between the Packers, Seahawks and Lions, who did you want to play most, middle and least?

I really, really didn't want to play the Lions because we'd beat them and I'd feel bad about that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Alaois posted:

Mark Brunell????

One of the best QBs to play for UW!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

now im thinking about Patrick Ramsey again

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I feel like there should be an arbitrary cutoff of yards per game to be considered a dual threat QB. Maybe 25 yards per? In which case I guess Russell Wilson would be the longest and his wheels are already off at 33.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

I feel like there should be an arbitrary cutoff of yards per game to be considered a dual threat QB. Maybe 25 yards per? In which case I guess Russell Wilson would be the longest and his wheels are already off at 33.

Wilson is also 10th all time in sacks. He’s another guy that took far more abuse trying to pass than trying to run.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Kawalimus posted:

That's more Huntley's game. Lamar will sometimes get physical with DBs but usually is smart enough to avoid charging head on into the bigger guys. But yeah Lamar really shouldn't play. It sucks so bad we won't get to see him again this year but you just can't.

The first couple years in Lamar's career He was a loving magician for avoiding hits but he seemed to have lost the knack for it last year to predictable results.

The first thing I noticed from the 2021 Bengals versus Ravens game was that Lamar was getting hit in a way that he never used to.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

I really thing yards per game or attempts are a better cutoff, yeah. Attempts per game is probably best when discussing longevity, wear, etc. Yards per game is probably best when determining overall impact the player had with running.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
News: before the start of the season I did not expect the Vikings to be in this thread

Views: I still don't know how the Vikings are in this thread but lol and lmao at the non-fraud teams

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Both of Lamar's major injuries were on passing plays. When he runs he is it much more control of how and where he takes a hit. It's the blind side hits, and scrambling out of the pocket while defenders are running at him that have been his worst hits by far.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

on Oct 7, 2020 lamar hurt his knee and ever since then he hasn't truly been all bendy and shifty like he was prior to that. he's still got moves and is the most agile qb but it hasn't been the most insane poo poo ever that looks fake, anymore.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in essence what i mean is that he went from much better than even justin fields was this season at negotiating any situation during a run, to a regular A+ runner. i'm not trying to say more than that. and if i'm wrong, god will kill me.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cavauro posted:

in essence what i mean is that he went from much better than even justin fields was this season at negotiating any situation during a run, to a regular A+ runner. i'm not trying to say more than that. and if i'm wrong, god will kill me.
RIP Cavauro

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

seiferguy posted:

great chart. the steve young cutoff of 25 yards a game makes sense to me

fwiw justin fields is at 27 games, 232 carries, 1563 yards. 6.7 ypa (#2 to vick), 57.9 yards a game (#2 to lamar), 8.6 attempts a game

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

I keep thinking the tassels at the end of the strings are hands

Oh poo poo, so did I

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lamar's unlikely and Huntley's hurt too now

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1613252484033810432

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Conversations like these are why I cringe every time the Eagles use Hurts like a bruising RB. Dude just charges right at defensive players. It's not sustainable. He already lost some time this year from a hit he didn't need to take; It's not like that's gonna get less likely to happen.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

seiferguy posted:

huh, McNabb averaged less yards per game than i remembered

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

aBagorn posted:

huh, McNabb averaged less yards per game than i remembered

If I remember correctly, McNabb ran a lot less towards the end of his career.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cam being the comp for Josh Allen completely minimizes Allen's ability as a pure passer.

That's why I think Bills fans are mistaken defending that. Sure, it's awesome when Allen absolutely trucks a linebacker. But Allen has all the tools to be a pocket passer who plays for like 15 years.

Cam, on the other hand, lol. In the immortal words of Ray Stantz from Ghostbusters "you never studied."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

seiferguy posted:

Man I really don’t appreciate peak Cam Newton as much as I should, even as a fan of his.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Playoff starting quarterback Anthony Brown

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bring back Sam Koch and let him start

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Toaster Beef posted:

Conversations like these are why I cringe every time the Eagles use Hurts like a bruising RB. Dude just charges right at defensive players. It's not sustainable. He already lost some time this year from a hit he didn't need to take; It's not like that's gonna get less likely to happen.

I never thought Hurts running game was going to work long term (or even short term) in the NFL and he's been pretty good there, but then again I never thought he'd be anywhere near as good of a passer as he is. So what do I know?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Toaster Beef posted:

Especially when they have a bunch of good backs and an elite run-blocking line

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Kill Dozed posted:

If I remember correctly, McNabb ran a lot less towards the end of his career.

Yeah. He had at least 300 yards/season from 1999-2003 (and that includes '99, where he only played in 12 games and started 6, and 2002, where he only played 10 games), but after that, he got Owens in 2004 (220 yards rushing) and then had two seasons cut short due to injury in 2005 (55 yards rushing) and 2006 (212 yards rushing). Following 2005 (ACL tear, I think) he put on a bunch of muscle (and was just bulkier in general), and his rushing game was never quite the same. He hit 236 yards in 2007, and after that it was 147, 140, 151, 59, out of the league.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 11, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

Cam being the comp for Josh Allen completely minimizes Allen's ability as a pure passer.

That's why I think Bills fans are mistaken defending that. Sure, it's awesome when Allen absolutely trucks a linebacker. But Allen has all the tools to be a pocket passer who plays for like 15 years.

Cam, on the other hand, lol. In the immortal words of Ray Stantz from Ghostbusters "you never studied."

Cam probably would have had a much more normal career if the refs gave a poo poo about him getting roughed every other snap.

People talk about "when you run you're a runner" But Cam would get brutalized in the pocket out of the pocket on his feet on the ground didn't matter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

sharknado slashfic posted:

It's crazy that three playoff teams will be starting their third-string QB in the playoffs, and one of them is even a serious Super Bowl contender!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

I meant purely as a rusher, Newton is the comp.

But you can't take away Allen's rushing. I think Mahomes is the better quarterback and the better passer, but Allen's edge on the ground gives him the highest ceiling on a per game basis of basically anyone I've ever seen play. I just want to marvel at the football man doing things I've never seen another human being do before.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Cam probably would have had a much more normal career if the refs gave a poo poo about him getting roughed every other snap.

People talk about "when you run you're a runner" But Cam would get brutalized in the pocket out of the pocket on his feet on the ground didn't matter.

Yeah Cam never ever got the calls Tom Brady gets for even egregious hits. I still remember the season opener in 2016 where guys were helmet to the face mask and they didn't call it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NFL dot com posted:

Jim Schwartz, Tennessee Titans senior defensive assistant, is set to interview for the Browns' defensive coordinator position on Wednesday, the first candidate to be interviewed for the opening, the team announced.
I didnt know he was still in the league.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/NBCSEdgeFB/status/1613275064077815808

i'm pretty sure i'd rather coach arizona than denver. by, like, a large margin.

could easily see him in az.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Texans want to interview him too. I guess their pitch is you get to run the whole organization and get a shiny new QB in the draft?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sharknado slashfic posted:

Remember the freeing of Joe Webb?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Artonos posted:

Texans want to interview him too. I guess their pitch is you get to run the whole organization and get a shiny new QB in the draft?
It’s a better landing spot than the Broncos.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I didnt know he was still in the league.

Our defense was bad under a combo of Vrabel and our current DC Shane Bowen a couple years ago after Pees had his second of his three retirements (though luckily the defense stepped up in the playoffs), then we brought in Schwartz and it had a major step up the following season. 2022 regressed but that's likely due more to injuries than coaching (losing our best pass rusher preseason certainly didn't help!)

It's one of those things where I hope we don't lose him, but at the same time he really does deserve another shot at a DC position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

fartknocker posted:

Remember the freeing of Joe Webb?

Sadly yes. I also expect Roman to paint his masterpiece in this game.