Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

quiggy posted:

there was a news story recently about a married father of two who tried to kill his family by intentionally driving his car off a cliff and every single article mentioned he was driving a tesla :allears:

you can tell self driving wasn't on, because it would have finished the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

there's a (short?) Spanish or Italian (I think) I can't find the name of where a guy gets stuck in his car and various people try to help him with tools, calling mechanics etc. until eventually they put the car on a flatbed with him in it, this then drives off and eventually gets to a warehouse that's packed with cars full of desiccated corpses of people that also got stuck.

this is what your Tesla is gonna do in future. have a problem with the car? Doors stuck? no bad publicity thanks, it's off to the warehouse you go.

e; it was La Cabina from 1972 and it was a phone box not a car but still

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

right. you basically can’t open the doors due to the pressure difference until the car fills with water. the best thing to do is open all the windows, let the water in, and then swim out of the windows. this is terrifying to do even when you’re rational.

you can also attempt to push the windshield off with your legs (it's only held on by glue) if it's not submerged, but, again, it's not the first thing someone would think of, particularly in a panic situation

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1613152073037631488?s=20 lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BobHoward posted:

you don't actually need or want realistic graphics like msft flight sim, so even iphone levels of gpu are way beyond requirements. you just want to make terrain and obstacles and runways clearly visible, and to display same from a location and perspective that's a very close approximation to physical reality (so you need good GPS and gyros and so forth)
Yeah, not a pilot or anything but my dumb flatlander brain thinks that a simplified view would prevent someone from being overconfident that they're seeing a 1:1 representation of reality, ignoring some of the instrumentation as a result

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

duz posted:

someone posted video the other day of it thinking its reflection was another car, since it doesn't use lidar or anything, it probably would be fooled by a painted wall

FSD can't even pass the mirror test, smdh

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

a couple months after receiving my new model 3, the trunk wouldn't shut unless i slammed it as hard as i could.
:roflolmao:

The Management posted:

like he needs to publicly follow someone when he owns the site. I bet he’s constantly viewing her account from an administrative interface that’s showing everything she sees and does.
dm-snooping daemon

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, not a pilot or anything but my dumb flatlander brain thinks that a simplified view would prevent someone from being overconfident that they're seeing a 1:1 representation of reality, ignoring some of the instrumentation as a result

we have to do this in presentations and user testing. if the designs are too close to reality then people assume it's a full working thing instead of a prototype. the feedback can be different and it can derail a test without proper priming.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heh that's why I liked doing paper prototypes for our internal tools, the audience understood they were to concentrate on the functionality and not the look

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it depends on the audience, some people have difficulty translating what they see in paper/bare wireframe into what it's actually going to look like. this tends to scale with the complexity of what they're going to be looking at

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/94151-largest-loss-of-personal-fortune

quote:

The largest loss of personal fortune is that of Elon Musk (South Africa), estimated by Forbes to be roughly $165 billion (£135B / €155B) as of December 2022.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i don't even have 1 billion to lose yet

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dang it's official he's the biggest loser in history

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

the most divorced man of all time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol spending 44 billion dollars to cyberbully your ex

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

qirex posted:

lol spending 165 billion dollars to cyberbully your ex

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Roosevelt posted:

i don't even have 1 billion to lose yet

open a blatantly fraudulent crypto exchange with a plutocracy fetishist and start dressing like a toddler

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Blade Runner posted:

the most divorced man of all time

Seems to be up?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

love how easy it is to trick anyone with a screenshot these days lol

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Seems to be up?

It's back now, I guess? It's not my screenshot, but I did actually check when I saw it and she was suspended when I posted.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

who even knows anymore. eventual consistency babyyyyy.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Blade Runner posted:

It's back now, I guess? It's not my screenshot, but I did actually check when I saw it and she was suspended when I posted.

maybe elon's trying to play hot potato with twitter by getting someone else outraged enough over an errant suspension to buy it

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Elon was stalking her and reading DMs on the admin panel and accidentally clicked the "suspend account" button.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

mrmcd posted:

Elon was stalking her and reading DMs on the admin panel and accidentally clicked the "suspend account" button.

i also hate those lovely sites that are slow to load move buttons around right before you click them

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I personally think it's funnier to imagine he just got mad and unfollowed/suspended her in a drug induced fervor, followed by quickly removing the suspension and begging her to date him again, as befits his divorced mannerisms

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i also hate those lovely sites that are slow to load move buttons around right before you click them

this is maddening in like iapple/siri contexts that show you “suggested items” and change them around as it loads

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Last Chance posted:

this is maddening in like iapple/siri contexts that show you “suggested items” and change them around as it loads

it legit surprises me this is still a problem in ios apps to this day. doesn't anybody test their poo poo?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

don't worry folks elon has figured out how to make money

https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/1613240804402950144

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

all unclaimed twitter names will have this as their profile

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

it legit surprises me this is still a problem in ios apps to this day. doesn't anybody test their poo poo?

I assume that someone’s just being lazy and testing with sample data or other fast-loading devices that don’t flash old data onscreen for long enough

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Last Chance posted:

I assume that someone’s just being lazy and testing with sample data or other fast-loading devices that don’t flash old data onscreen for long enough

they should at least know that there's a spot where something will load in, and always have that sectioned off prior to loading in. should be easy

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlL4xvn6xWE

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

they should at least know that there's a spot where something will load in, and always have that sectioned off prior to loading in. should be easy

yeah

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

its even worse now!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This girl is in her late 40s now.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nfcknblvbl posted:

the default windows mail client does this in a way that makes it really easy to delete new mail right as it arrives

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i kept that as my gmail avatar for so long until i got tired of people asking who backpack girl was. bring it back

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

According to FCC filings, Tesla has quietly added radar back to their designs https://jalopnik.com/tesla-is-adding-radar-back-to-cars-next-year-docs-1849864675

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

akadajet posted:

This girl is in her late 40s now.

Concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene