Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cloks posted:

same. the special intermission bumpers ruled.

I didn't even leave the theater just so I could keep listening to the score lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/HannaBarberaCap/status/1613221409114755086?t=jhh49-H59E0Okdtlp974pg&s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"no likable characters" has been successfully pulled off before I guess

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I want to know what he plans on doing about the evil sheep men in suits who try to make you go to sleep while watching a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec7N51tIfBg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Credit for not naming the guy who definitely isn't Shaggy Shaggy tbh, this continuity of Scooby-Doo simply does not feature Shaggy, or Scooby-Doo, the two most popular characters

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
why is that one character nude?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

so, THAT happened.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

loquacius posted:

Credit for not naming the guy who definitely isn't Shaggy Shaggy tbh, this continuity of Scooby-Doo simply does not feature Shaggy, or Scooby-Doo, the two most popular characters

Shaggy's canonical name is Norville Rogers.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

oh. it's good then

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

does shaggy eat even a single giant sandwich???

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

shaggy also canonically inherited a plantation in louisiana but he turned it into a commune so who is to say whether he is good or bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wow this sucks

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Antonymous posted:

avatar probably made net profits and yet i also don't think matt damon would negotiate for them

According to Hollywood reporting, Avatar's net profit was about 1.2 billion

https://ew.com/movies/matt-damon-turned-down-avatar-10-percent-profits/
https://t.co/qc59b8ldZn

Not sure if that takes into account the traditional Hollywood accounting bullshit but at a glance halving it from 2.8 sounds plausible.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
new shaggy is straight edge lol

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

fits my needs posted:

the thing about the new velma show is that its subverting a lot of expectations; for example, many people expect comedies to be funny

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

whole lot of white fragility on display itt

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Jan 11, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DoombatINC posted:

the thing about the new velma show is that its subverting a lot of expectations; for example, many people expect comedies to be funny

forget the live action rick & morty, lets remake another live action scooby doo that subverts ALL THE EXPECTATIONS

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ugh that live-action scooby that made scrappy the villain

why not kill barney while you're at it guys

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Wow I learned something today

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zokari posted:

ugh that live-action scooby that made scrappy the villain

why not kill barney while you're at it guys

great film

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fits my needs posted:

they turned him black because he smokes weed, then made him straight edge because he is black

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
he better have the exact same fuckin voice

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

he better have the exact same fuckin voice
he died nine years ago

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

glenn howerton as freddie is good casting (like charlie day as luigi) but lol i'm not watching that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

glenn howerton as freddie is good casting (like charlie day as luigi) but lol i'm not watching that

yeah and casting Sam Richardson as anything is a win

how do you gently caress up that bad

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
"You know how people have liked Scooby-Doo for 60 years because it is a lighthearted, animated comedy mystery show for kids?"

"Yeah"

"We don't do any of that"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

"You know how people have liked Scooby-Doo for 60 years because it is a lighthearted, animated comedy mystery show for kids?"

"Yeah"

It feels so much like WB saw the popularity of Harley Quinn and decided to just duplicate it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This trailer almost makes it seem like they wanted to do their own thing but had to tie to the Scooby-Doo IP to get it greenlit.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

christmas boots posted:

According to Hollywood reporting, Avatar's net profit was about 1.2 billion

https://ew.com/movies/matt-damon-turned-down-avatar-10-percent-profits/
https://t.co/qc59b8ldZn

Not sure if that takes into account the traditional Hollywood accounting bullshit but at a glance halving it from 2.8 sounds plausible.

The hollywood bullshit wouldn't effect that number I don't think.

If your film sells $100,000,000 in tickets, or 100M

5M goes to sales tax (5%)
45M goes to the theaters (45%-50%)

Now there's 50M left, which gets disbursed to the distribution company that has the exploitation rights, they did the advertising, made the trailer, made the 'prints' that are sent to the theater. Studios own their distribution companies.

15M goes to the distribution company (30% fee)
Then they pay back their advertising and costs (P&A), let's say it was 20M.

Now there's 15M left. That's what makes it to the production company. Let's say the film had 10M invested in it, on a budget of 15M, 5M was recouped already via tax rebates. Investors usually get 120% ROI in their deals. So that's 12M that's owed.

The film made a net profit of 3M on a 15M budget, 20M advertising, and 100M box office. Investors get 50% claims to net profits, so the actors and producer and director and writer etc split 1.5M.

The way hollywood juices it is that the production company and distribution company (and streaming) are all owned by the studio. So they can put whatever costs in front of that net profit at the end. They can license an IP to their own production for a fee that garuntees no money could ever be made. Left hand steals from the right hand. But only the right hand has 'net profit' contracts.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Jan 11, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

"Yeah"

We are coasting purely on IP and have calculated a satisfactory return on investment

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i remember renting a scooby-doo adventure game for the sega genesis and getting stuck

then i rented it like 10 more times and never made any progress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm guessing what happened is they started with the premise "hey, ya know how Velma is the one making all the plans to catch bad guys and Shaggy and Scooby just get lucky and end up catching them? Well what if we did a show where Velma got the credit she deserved!" and then like 1/3 of the way into development realized that undoing the central joke of every Scooby-Doo episode was not a strong enough premise to anchor a whole show on

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Shaggy should have been reimagined as a Lil Xan or Yeat type guy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

hey, ya know how Velma is the one making all the plans to catch bad guys and Shaggy and Scooby just get lucky and end up catching them? Well what if we did a show where Velma got the credit she deserved!

Great, more Fred erasure -_-

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

the premise is fine but none of the jokes are funny, sooooo...

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exmarx posted:

[dumbest guy in the world voice] i haven't seen a single person meme about avatar 2

shut the gently caress bitch and enjoy your treats

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

loquacius posted:

"no likable characters" has been successfully pulled off before I guess

yorue going to jerk off to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yorue going to jerk off to this