Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mortal Shell is fine, does a few different things, botches some others.

Fine-ish. Didn't feel like a waste of my time, didn't cost me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Dark souls and it’s adjacent games are my favorite games but I just can’t ever bring myself to care about any of the ripoffs. Rather just play one of the real souls games again instead.

I feel exactly the same way. Even The Surge, which is definitely the best non-From Soulslike I’ve tried, didn’t hold my attention for too long.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

There are more jrpgs coming out than you can poke a stick at.

They'll never show up on Xbox but Atelier Ryza 3 and Neptunia Sisters vs Sisters are some pretty big anime games out in the next month.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I started Marvels Guardians ot Galaxy, so far it's meh. When I ran into the first scene where there wasn't constant banter, it was so obvious that I had to take a screenshot. It was near the end of chapter 3.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looks like poo poo op

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I started Marvels Guardians ot Galaxy, so far it's meh. When I ran into the first scene where there wasn't constant banter, it was so obvious that I had to take a screenshot. It was near the end of chapter 3.

Did I wander into the PS2 thread?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really enjoyed guardians. Solid comic book story, characters are fun and it generally looks really nice. Gameplay is a bit repetitive but overall a good game.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

GotG was excellent. Stay a while for the multiple after-credits scenes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

prom candy posted:

Is mortal shell good?

yeah if you like souls games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's a super short game, not mega budget. i played it when it came out and definitely got my money's worth out of it, it was only like €30

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Dehry posted:

They'll never show up on Xbox but Atelier Ryza 3 and Neptunia Sisters vs Sisters are some pretty big anime games out in the next month.

I googled these games and now I'm on a watchlist

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm not into Marvel stuff even if it's packaged as a video game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm not into Marvel stuff even if it's packaged as a video game

Ok

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wanted to like GotG a lot but I just didn’t get on with the combat at all and it’s just prevalent enough to put me off

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
GotG was a fun easy romp, I think I even paid full price and didn’t regret it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Guardians of the Galaxy clicked with me when I went into the settings and upped both player and enemy damage a decent amount. Made the battles a little more exciting and shorter.

I like when games let you tweak stuff like that.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

GotG is good to play for me right now because I needed something I can play with my kids present in the room and not scar them for life.

I briefly showed Maneater to one but it was very clearly not suitable.

Zerot posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy clicked with me when I went into the settings and upped both player and enemy damage a decent amount. Made the battles a little more exciting and shorter.

I like when games let you tweak stuff like that.

Oh drat, you can do that? I'll have to check that out.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sywert of Thieves posted:

The game has constant banter to cover up the extremely boring game play. In my experience it doesn't get any better, so feel free to stop playing it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The game has constant banter to cover up the extremely boring game play. In my experience it doesn't get any better, so feel free to stop playing it.

Yeah I thought Guardians was a pretty mediocre game who's main saving grace was that playing it made me realise 'oh this is why Bautista is so disappointed with the take on Drax they went with for the films'. The portrayal of Quill as not-an-idiot was also interesting.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've never read the comics, or any other comics for that matter, but the portrayal of the Guardians in the game is so much more compelling than how they're portrayed in the movies.

They have depth and stuff. I enjoyed listening to everyone's backstory.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think if you are into Marvel stuff or specifically GotG then it's perfectly ok playing the game with the difficulty at the lowest level possible and treating it as a visual novel. It is not ok playing it as intended and convincing yourself it's a good video game because it isn't.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Confirmed: Developer direct showcase January 25 at 3pm Eastern. Also confirmed: Starfield will get its own seperate deep dive show later on.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Wiltsghost posted:

Wo Long looks tight

e: although i'm going to be trash at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__I_dMosyco

Yeah I'm extremely hype for this game. Played the demo a bunch and it had that special Sekiro sauce.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Gotg has one of the best stories in video games and is on par with an average comic book film, which is less praise for it and more a damning indictment on the godawful state of writing in games.

Like MCU films, I enjoyed it enough while I was playing it and immediately forgot everything about it as soon as I finished. Perfect gamepass game. Definitely not worth whatever it cost at launch.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

My kids saw a friend play it and really liked the 'bubblegum planet' (chapter 1) so I picked up a $20 GotG + Avengers bundle in a sale last year. I'm not expecting this to be amazing. :shrug:

Pastamania posted:

Like MCU films, I enjoyed it enough while I was playing it and immediately forgot everything about it as soon as I finished.

Probably this. But I'm curious how the in-game story unfolds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's one of those games that didn't pick what kind of genre it really should be. it seemed like it really wanted to be a Mass Effect or something and there's an absolute shitload of dialogue but it plays like a mid "shooter with powers" game which is a problem because it has way too much dialogue for that kind of thing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wo Long have a release date yet? I'm hoiped for what promises to basically be Xbox Nioh.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

March 3rd.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

Confirmed: Developer direct showcase January 25 at 3pm Eastern. Also confirmed: Starfield will get its own seperate deep dive show later on.

Forza Motorsport release date incoming. :pray:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The Kins posted:

sounds like this will only cover the specific games mentioned here and there won't be any new announcements. Too bad, I was looking forward to that rumored announcement of a smaller game from Tango

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It seems the next big gamepass drop is something no one ever mentions: Monster Hunter Rise. Was this not a cool game, or was it just on switch so nobody has played it yet? I loved the last one but burnt out on it before it got the 60fps patch.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

It seems the next big gamepass drop is something no one ever mentions: Monster Hunter Rise. Was this not a cool game, or was it just on switch so nobody has played it yet? I loved the last one but burnt out on it before it got the 60fps patch.

It has only been released on switch as far as I know

Edit: jk it was released on pc last year

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Monster Hunter Rise is very, very good!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
didn't monster hunter rise get the SA GOTY vote one year, it's definitely not a game nobody mentions

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Monster Hunter Rise is very, very good!
Yup.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Forza Motorsport release date incoming. :pray:

Please understand,

(Nah, I'm hoping too. Please don't blow it, Turn 10.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

didn't monster hunter rise get the SA GOTY vote one year, it's definitely not a game nobody mentions

That was World.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

acksplode posted:

When you're shopping for Soulslikes look for the Fromsoft seal of quality. Accept no substitutes

It's me, i'm the guy who actually enjoyed Hellpoint.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never played an MH before. Wanna check out Rise but worrying about getting too into it and losing hundreds of hours to monsterin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My friends are into monster hunters but I'm not sure if Rise is the one they play and can it crossplay with regular pc folks?