Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Can't wait for playable

Deku tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its gonna be Tears of the Gamers when this releases

Tears of joy because it's going to be so good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
May is already the best month. Can't wait to play TotK outside in the spring. Just absolute perfection.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tears of delay to holiday 2023

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

Tears of delay to holiday 2023

No. Nintendo would n- I can't do it. :negative:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
When was the last time Nintendo delayed something with a concrete release date? Besides Advance Wars of course

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you ever think about how the best zelda game, majora's mask, is the one where miyamoto went 'hey put out a sequel in one year' and they did it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Super No Vacancy posted:

you ever think about how the best zelda game, majora's mask, is the one where miyamoto went 'hey put out a sequel in one year' and they did it

It's kinda of cheating when you use time loops, though

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

e: misread

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 9, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Miyamoto just kept playing the Song of Time at the end of every work day. Real production time was several hellish years for the staff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What have you been playing to scratch your Zelda itch while waiting for Tears-either older Zelda games you haven't played in a while or never played, or other games that are clearly Zelda-y.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Junpei posted:

What have you been playing to scratch your Zelda itch while waiting for Tears-either older Zelda games you haven't played in a while or never played, or other games that are clearly Zelda-y.

I’ve gone through Twilight Princess HD, the Link’s Awakening remake, and A Link To The Past over the last month. ALTTP was a blast, I hadn’t played it in years, though it was much easier than I remembered it being.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I went through all three Gameboy Zeldas a while back, and I'm getting the urge to do it again. Sometimes that pixely goodness is what scratches the itch.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Junpei posted:

The new Blossom Tales that came out a few months ago

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I still need to start and finish skyward sword.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

External Organs posted:

that's not necessary

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Junpei posted:

I haven't started it yet, but I have Valkie 64 installed and ready to start sooner or later.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
One thing I think the Zelda thing could do a bit better in the future is have some of the cities feel more like cities. I get why you didn't do that in BotW, you want to make it post apocalyptic essentially. But the other games, Zelda 2 aside, is like look at this big kingdom with like 20 people in it. It's a hard balance because so much of Zelda is exploring and experimenting and making it feel like your back yard but there has to be a balance in there.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

What games actually do "big cities" well? I can't really think of any off the top of my head.*

I can see how it'd be a neat vibe if it was like the primary focus of a Zelda game. Not sure how it would go with a botw style.

*I've never really played an assassin's Creed Game

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

grand theft auto

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I came here asking about Tunic a while back and that’s pretty fun.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

External Organs posted:

What games actually do "big cities" well? I can't really think of any off the top of my head.*

I can see how it'd be a neat vibe if it was like the primary focus of a Zelda game. Not sure how it would go with a botw style.

*I've never really played an assassin's Creed Game

Someone said GTA already but RDR2's Saint Denis manages to feel suitably big while really just being an open-world video game village in terms of its objective size.

Vivec in Morrowind also has this immense feel while not being that big, but that could just be draw distance.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

External Organs posted:

It's good! It's unique in its lore and it has better than waggling sword!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Skyward Sword loses a lot of steam a little over three quarters of the way through but is pretty good until that point

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

An interesting thing about playing Skyward Sword on this side of BotW is seeing the things in it that were basically a trial run for that game. I thought that was neat in a way that going back to the other rereleases don't match, just because of the franchise's evolution in design.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Junpei posted:

Yearly replay of Majora’s Mask, second year with the Restoration Patch. Haven’t tried a randomizer yet, might start with OoT when I’m done.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Murdstone posted:

I came here asking about Tunic a while back and that’s pretty fun.

I want to try it but I keep hearing that it tries and fails to be a souls-like. Any validity to that?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I want to try it but I keep hearing that it tries and fails to be a souls-like. Any validity to that?

It mostly succeeds, imo, the bosses are fun and if you don't like the difficulty there are multiple options to turn it down, ranging from infinite stamina to a regular easy mode to a God mode to focus on the puzzles.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played any Souls games because I generally don't enjoy the grim-dark environments and am usually not good enough to really enjoy content's that's too punishing. Tunic definitely felt "fair" too me, although it does "punish" you trying to go off the storyline path too much because there is a lack of save points for a long time, and in that sense it is very unlike BoTW or even most Zelda games other than the earlier ones.

That said, the game devs clearly designed it with speed-runners and sequence breakers in mind, so if you get a hang of the mechanics you can do a lot of interesting stuff, and once you have all the tools there are lot of secrets to explore.

Edit: oh yeah, I forgot about the accessibility options. I unfortunately have the gamer brain disease that doesn't let me enable them and still enjoy the game, even if the result is not finishing the game at all.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Double post, but Immortals Fenyx Rising is Breath of the Wild if it was made by Ubisoft.

Make of that what you will.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"A Short Hike" does not, at first, look like it's a Zeld-alike, but it gave me extremely strong Breath of the Wild vibes, and you can beat it in like a day. Strongly recommended.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Similarly if you're looking for "what if Breath of the Wild had no combat and was a little janky" Sable is great.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

External Organs posted:

Arkham Knight, the Spider-Man games, Elden Ring.

dpkg chopra posted:

Double post, but Immortals Fenyx Rising is Breath of the Wild if it was made by Ubisoft.

Make of that what you will.

I'll co-sign this, I've been playing it on PC and it's 100% BOTW. However, that said, it's actually pretty solid and quite fun. I enjoy the humor in it too. I love colorful Greek setting.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Sable is quite a lot janky but it’s gorgeous and a great experience. I ended up 100%ing it because it was just a blast to move through that world. If you’re a fan of the exploration in BotW, and also of Moebius comics, it’s a must play.

Tunic really didn’t do it for me. I just didn’t enjoy the combat in it at all. I think that Hyper Light Drifter is a similar experience but one with MUCH tighter controls. Definitely one I recommend to scratch the “hard combat, very simple puzzle” vibe. But also try Tunic out because it’s still quite good. I got pretty far in before I decided to turn on godmode for the last couple bits because those end bosses were just no fun for me.

So I guess I’m saying, play HLD. The visuals and the score alone are enough to rocket it to the top, but it’s really just enjoyable to play.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody got the original Legend of Zelda to work in VR...

https://gamerant.com/nes-legend-of-zelda-vr-doom-mod/

https://youtu.be/5vNA8-UE780

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol at the doomguy arms that are still in there

For real though, NES ROM->Doom Mod->VR Doom Conversion is not a path I expected to see anyone take

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Junpei posted:

I don’t know if it’s really that Zelda-y, but I’m playing Cattails for the first time and really enjoying it. I just got a coat for my cat that looks like Link’s tunic :3:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fired up my original playthrough file to do some more wandering around Hyrule and found 4 more Koroks I never stumbled upon before :v: . I'm up to 83.5% completion. No I don't want to look at the guide to find them all. 6 years in and I'm still having fun. I'm stoked for Tears to come out :)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

hatty posted:

Skyward Sword loses a lot of steam a little over three quarters of the way through but is pretty good until that point

Yeah, it's like Twilight Princess in reverse - TP is a slog until it opens up after the lakebed temple, and SS is fun until it runs out of plot reasons to do stuff and becomes fetch quests for tunes and sword upgrades or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MokBa posted:

Sable is quite a lot janky but it’s gorgeous and a great experience. I ended up 100%ing it because it was just a blast to move through that world. If you’re a fan of the exploration in BotW, and also of Moebius comics, it’s a must play.

This has been on my Steam Wishlist for so long, I think I'm going to dive in thanks to the recommendations in the thread but hearing that it's scratches that BOTW exploration itch really piqued my interested, I didn't even know it was open world.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For real though, NES ROM->Doom Mod->VR Doom Conversion is not a path I expected to see anyone take

PC gaming will go in strange directions, and I'm not surprised they did this through Doom because... well, everyone's messing with Doom. It's crazy how far people have gone with that game.

That said, a lot of people have added various Zelda locales to the Steam VR Home environment, or whatever the hell it's called and that was amazing. There's no NPCs/enemies or anything to do, but you can walk through Kokiri Forest and Clocktown. It's usually the 3DS versions so it looks better, but it makes my inner child geek the hell out.