Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Eat the two day old room temp chicken if you want to give the doctor and nurses at the ER a good story after you need to be rehydrated from making GBS threads out half your colon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Has anyone bought a car through Costco? I really need to get a car and have little time and not a lot of money, and at a glance it looks like they could be a helpful resource. Anyone have experience using them?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Has anyone bought a car through Costco? I really need to get a car and have little time and not a lot of money, and at a glance it looks like they could be a helpful resource. Anyone have experience using them?

They’re good for uh, tires. I think cars are more of a middleman network. In any event if you don’t have a lot of money as you say you should find a friend with some street smarts and buy used from an owner.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Great news everyone I get to return a foam mattress that my wife doesn't find comfortable. It's only three years old what is the best way to return this?

The difference in size from when it was in a box to being decompressed is intimidating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

r u joking m8

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

StormDrain posted:

Great news everyone I get to return a foam mattress that my wife doesn't find comfortable. It's only three years old what is the best way to return this?

The difference in size from when it was in a box to being decompressed is intimidating.

Scroll up and my secrets will reveal themselves to you.

BTW literally no foam mattresses are comfortable and anyone who says otherwise is gullible or lying. They’re utterly inferior to innerspring in support and breathability but the companies push them so hard because they’re cheaper to make and take less space.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Foam mattresses are literally a venture-capital scam

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre a scam on the venture capitalists mostly, who foolishly thought they could differentiate a brutally commodity product, so nothing precludes us from enjoying them

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I dunno, I've been sleeping pretty well on memory foam for many years. If you prefer something else then by all means go for it :shrug:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

StormDrain posted:

You get a mattress plastic bag from a moving company like U-Haul. You roll up the open end of the bag after you cover the mattress and stick your vacuum cleaner attachment arm in and try to isolate it. Suck all of the air out of it and roll it up. Tape it down when you get it rolled.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

StormDrain posted:

strap it to the roof of your car because who cares what the condition is

and latex is the mattress material you want to look for. either 100% latex or a few inches of latex over innerspring

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My parents did. The arrangement is that there's a Costco member price list in a big binder that is agreed up on by Costco and the dealer.
First dealer they went to, the dude said "OK, sure, let's walk around the lot and look at a few cars to see what you like first and then we'll talk Costco pricing". They got bad vibes from him and walked.
Second dealer they went to, the guy immediately took them back to an office, opened up the binder, and it was a very straightforward menu of cars and total out the door prices. They were done in like 2 hours.

As far as the pricing goes, it is "pretty good". Experienced negotiators prepared with lots of information can do better than the Costco negotiated pricing. The average buyer will typically do much worse than the Costco pricing.
I feel like it's a lot like buying produce at Costco. Consider a bag of onions.
The most expensive option is "regular price" at the grocery store. The giant bag of onions at Costco is going to be cheaper than that. Buying from a restaurant supply type place is the next cheaper option. A store's doorbuster weekly special with extreme coupon stacking will be cheapest of all, but has limited availability and requires good timing, patience and more work from you.

If you're not a sophisticated negotiator and/or you don't want to spend your whole Saturday min/maxing with a 23 year old sales guy to save another $2k and try to beat the Edmunds high score then it's a great option.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

first CossGo trip of the new year

$425

fridge and pantry bussin

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 11, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

canyoneer posted:

My parents did. The arrangement is that there's a Costco member price list in a big binder that is agreed up on by Costco and the dealer.
First dealer they went to, the dude said "OK, sure, let's walk around the lot and look at a few cars to see what you like first and then we'll talk Costco pricing". They got bad vibes from him and walked.
Second dealer they went to, the guy immediately took them back to an office, opened up the binder, and it was a very straightforward menu of cars and total out the door prices. They were done in like 2 hours.

As far as the pricing goes, it is "pretty good". Experienced negotiators prepared with lots of information can do better than the Costco negotiated pricing. The average buyer will typically do much worse than the Costco pricing.
The most expensive option is "regular price" at the grocery store. The giant bag of onions at Costco is going to be cheaper than that. Buying from a restaurant supply type place is the next cheaper option. A store's doorbuster weekly special with extreme coupon stacking will be cheapest of all, but has limited availability and requires good timing, patience and more work from you.

If you're not a sophisticated negotiator and/or you don't want to spend your whole Saturday min/maxing with a 23 year old sales guy to save another $2k and try to beat the Edmunds high score then it's a great option.

Yeah this is good stuff when it works but like you said it's no guarantee against dealer sleaze so be on your guard.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zero VGS posted:

Scroll up and my secrets will reveal themselves to you.

BTW literally no foam mattresses are comfortable and anyone who says otherwise is gullible or lying. They’re utterly inferior to innerspring in support and breathability but the companies push them so hard because they’re cheaper to make and take less space.

I wasn't asking to be talked out of foam mattresses.

SamDabbers posted:

I dunno, I've been sleeping pretty well on memory foam for many years. If you prefer something else then by all means go for it :shrug:

Yeah our main bedroom has a Casper that she likes. I prefer this one actually because it's firmer, but oh well. It's for the guest bedroom and she sleeps on it with her boyfriend more often than I do so she has the final say.

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

You get a mattress plastic bag from a moving company like U-Haul. You roll up the open end of the bag after you cover the mattress and stick your vacuum cleaner attachment arm in and try to isolate it. Suck all of the air out of it and roll it up. Tape it down when you get it rolled.

Thanks!

Also for the record I purchased it on Sunday, so it's a week old and never slept on. Apparently she couldn't fall asleep on it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

canyoneer posted:

I attempted to buy a car with Costco many years ago and this was my experience as well.

It might be hard to find a participating dealer these days though with dealers still unwilling to discount vehicles.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I still don't think theres much room for car price negotiating now compared to pre covid, though supply has gotten better somewhat. Has anyone actually been able to get significantly below msrp recently?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've seen it a couple times. First time they were running a good promo, and it was $3,000 off a car on the lot. Second time, it was only $500 off but for a car that hadn't even shipped from the factory.

It was treated as a reduction in the purchase price of the car instead of cash (some incentives do that instead). This can have small ramifications.

Both times it was also subject to further negotiation if you want to stack other discounts etc.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

For the Costco Car program, in the before Covid times, some dealers would honor the Costco price, even if they were not the chosen Costco dealership for the area.

Normally when you go with the Costco program, you tell the program the manufacturer (maybe even the model, it’s been two and a half years for me), and your location. They would give your information to the local dealership that is running the Costco program in your area. If it isn’t particularly close, or you are test driving things closer to home, you can always check to see if the local dealership will honor the price.

For example, we were looking to get a Honda Odyssey in July of 2020 for my wife to make it easier to haul the kids around. The Costco supplied dealership was over 30 minutes away. But the 5 minute away volume Honda dealership was more than happy to log onto the Costco portal to get and match the price on a vehicle that they had a ton of when the model year was about to turn over.

As stated, no idea if this is still a thing or not. But I have been hearing that with loans getting expensive and hard to qualify for, and lots of people underwater on their current cars, sales are way down. So there might be a little bit of wiggle room on price.

Edit/

The other thing I have done in the further past, is get an official Costco price quote from the Costco dealership. Then when you go to the local dealership, they may agree to match that price if they want a sale. I did that when I ended up ordering a 2017 Dodge Charger. I didn’t want to have to drive 40 minutes or something to the Dodge dealership providing the Costco price. But I had the cost of everything listed on paperwork with that dealership’s name all over it. It wasn’t the best deal of all time, but it saved me a couple hours of haggling for a decent deal at the local dealership.

And it can help reinforce the I can and will walk over stupidity if the salesman tries that stuff. So the Dodge salesman was pretty chill. Just had to do the usual talk to GM once to get him to match the price.

Orvin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 11, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I dropped a few grand on this ridiculous combo inner spring / tempurpedic mattress when I moved out of my parent's. They totally made their sales goal off of me, but I justified it because I had the money and it would last me for a huge portion of my life. Then I moved in with my now wife a year and a half later and had to buy a bigger mattress.

It was the most comfortable mattress I've owned in my life and I miss it. It's my kid's mattress now and sometimes I just sleep in his bed.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

StormDrain posted:

Take photos and give us a trip report

Also grab a hot dog with your $3509 in Costco credit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orvin posted:

The other thing I have done in the further past, is get an official Costco price quote from the Costco dealership. Then when you go to the local dealership, they may agree to match that price if they want a sale. I did that when I ended up ordering a 2017 Dodge Charger. I didn’t want to have to drive 40 minutes or something to the Dodge dealership providing the Costco price. But I had the cost of everything listed on paperwork with that dealership’s name all over it. It wasn’t the best deal of all time, but it saved me a couple hours of haggling for a decent deal at the local dealership.

I tried this with a guy at Toyota once and he got pissed off, said I was wasting his time, and canceled our test drive. It was pretty funny.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
went to pick up some drinks and cold brew today but copped a bag of seaweed salad as well. good stuff.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I tried this with a guy at Toyota once and he got pissed off, said I was wasting his time, and canceled our test drive. It was pretty funny.

It worked. He was going to try all the usual scumbag sales tactics, but knew they wouldn’t work as you had a baseline price that he had to compete against. Probably saved you some time when they conveniently lost your license or keys to trade-in or whatever when you tried to leave.

Or it could just be that most of the time in the past I would go out to dealerships at like 1pm on a Tuesday because I was a shift worker. So even when I was upfront about looking at options for fitting my gargantuan size and no intention of buying today, I never got hassled. The dealerships were generally dead, so the sales people were not missing out on other sales by showing me around.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I still don't think theres much room for car price negotiating now compared to pre covid, though supply has gotten better somewhat. Has anyone actually been able to get significantly below msrp recently?

Coincidentally I just bought a car a few weekends ago. We tried going through the Costco auto program first, but the two dealerships we talked to both told us there's no real discount for it anymore. One - the only Subaru dealership enrolled in the program in the whole state - said he'd give us $500 under msrp, which was better than he was giving anyone else who came in looking for a car these days. The other guy - one of only two Honda dealerships enrolled in the whole state - just ignored that we went through the program. In the end we didn't see any benefit to it, and all the dealerships we went to were unanimous that the auto program simply wasn't what it used to be. All the reviews I read online said there used to be the binder of prenegotiated prices which were great starting points for negotiating (or just decent prices to pay if you didn't want to negotiate) but we didn't see it.

Of course, we may have been taken for suckers, so who knows. The dealerships we went to had no inventory though so their story was believable enough.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

BTW literally no foam mattresses are comfortable and anyone who says otherwise is gullible or lying.

your own experiences are not universal, hth

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We've enjoyed our Purple mattress for 6 years. I'm sure a more expensive mattress would be better but it was still a big step up from the traditional one we had before.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

StormDrain posted:

Yeah our main bedroom has a Casper that she likes. I prefer this one actually because it's firmer, but oh well. It's for the guest bedroom and she sleeps on it with her boyfriend more often than I do so she has the final say.

Costco Crab has a hard shell and therefore needs a softer mattress

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

StormDrain posted:

Thanks!

Also for the record I purchased it on Sunday, so it's a week old and never slept on. Apparently she couldn't fall asleep on it.

I thought you said you'd had it for three years?

Anyway, two twin mattresses side by side is the same size as a king mattress. Customize your firmness and her boyfriend can join you.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I thought you said you'd had it for three years?

Anyway, two twin mattresses side by side is the same size as a king mattress. Customize your firmness and her boyfriend can join you.

Yeah I was just goofing.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Alan Smithee posted:

how long can a costco chicken stay good in room temp

in days

asking for a friend

.166666 according to the health inspector.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Johnny Truant posted:

your own experiences are not universal, hth

I am never giving up our fat king-size slab of pure latex, haters vacate

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

strap it to the roof of your car because who cares what the condition is

and latex is the mattress material you want to look for. either 100% latex or a few inches of latex over innerspring

Independent reviewers agree latex is best for fuckin

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-sex.html

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Brain Curry posted:

If you aren't basing your mattress purchase on the fast climax scale you're doing it wrong

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just returned $400 in Lego because I didn’t enjoy playing with them. Just brought them in in ziplocks.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Returned my 4 year-old to Costco because my wife's birth control didn't work. Thought they would make it really difficult, but they didn't seem to care.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Returned my 4 year-old to Costco because my wife's birth control didn't work. Thought they would make it really difficult, but they didn't seem to care.

Can I borrow your receipt

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I saw thread favorite kimchi in even larger containers at Costco Business vs regular Costco the last time I went. You know what to do if that's your thing.

I know Jif had that absolutely enormous peanut butter recall a while back which probably bodyslammed their supply for a long time but I've seen zero sign of peanut butter other than creamy skippy at any costco near me, anyone seen something else at theirs? It's weird.

also about auto buying: if nothing else having a number in hand lets you talk to Other Dealer and say "I've got price $xx,xxx can you beat it?" to play them off each other rather than try to independently deal with dealer haggling. Even if you can't get a car through Costco a starting point helps a lot. good luck.

StormDrain posted:

lmao, nice

Brain Curry posted:

this is the kind of statistics I didn't expect to see in the Costco thread, and yet

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 12, 2023

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
My bed is made of latex and my sex swing is made of bullet-proof lucite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I cobbled my house together from various foam products that Costco sells