Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Circle of Scorn had a 25s cooldown back in Shadowbringers, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
I havent been using xiv Launcher for long - will it update automatically when ready or do I need to manually download a patch? I understand it takes time just wondering if i should be on the lookout.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pyp posted:

wait really :( i liked the glib
now what will I put as the PF description when I farm gwibers if I can't use "how very gwib"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

KoB posted:

I havent been using xiv Launcher for long - will it update automatically when ready or do I need to manually download a patch? I understand it takes time just wondering if i should be on the lookout.

It's automatic but only initiates when you start up the game. I imagine they say on their discord or other social when it goes live, that's probably the best way to know

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Speaking of XIV Launcher, is it considered safe to use provided I don't talk about it in-game and stick to the official plugin repository? There's a handful of things in there that look useful and/or fun but I don't want to get banned :ohdear:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
SE won't know unless you tell them.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
the game has no anti-cheat, as long as you don't give anyone a reason to report you you won't get caught

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Remember us remember that we glibbed

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Red Metal posted:

the game has no anti-cheat, as long as you don't give anyone a reason to report you you won't get caught

Additionally, all Dalamud plugins are client-side only. They don’t affect the data being sent to the servers at all, which means it would be hard for SE to even spot if you don’t talk about it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just don't stream with plugins on while progressing the latest Ultimate/Savage and you should be fine. S-E smote a few people during the DSR race for that.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I haven’t run prae in a long while but I wouldn’t be surprised if the glib line was removed. It was vestigial from when that cutscene had a dialogue option, and sticks out since gaius would just retort to, well, nothing. When they just slap dashed made cutscenes enforced it wasn’t surprising it was the minimal solution and retained but it’s weird that it survived through the more proper remake in recent times. Goes against the philosophy of remaking the dungeons in the first place

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
In addition to the above, note that patches do not stop XIVLauncher from launching the game. They just cause the plugins to be disabled for a bit.

In fact, it generally patches faster than the Squeenix launcher since I believe XIVLauncher does parallel downloads and the official launcher does not. XIVLauncher is ... good. Regardless of whether or not you use the plugin functionality.

XIVLauncher makes a point of vetting plugins that go in the default list that's accessible within the game to avoid anything that gives a combat advantage or could otherwise cause the hammer to fall, but there are a couple I would be wary of. Macro Chain is definitely cheating and definitely detectable, although I'm doubtful how much Squeenix care. I autohotkey the hell out of tedious potion and food crafting for raids, which is equally cheating and equally detectable. Pixel Perfect, Mouseover Action and XIV Combo are arguably cheating; at least they're doing things to combat that Squeenix very deliberately chose not to do.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

for sure, XIV Combo is cheating though

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vitamean posted:

for sure, XIV Combo is cheating though

No why do this

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

TheWorldsaStage posted:

No why do this

Such devastation is their intent.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

RME posted:

I haven’t run prae in a long while but I wouldn’t be surprised if the glib line was removed. It was vestigial from when that cutscene had a dialogue option, and sticks out since gaius would just retort to, well, nothing. When they just slap dashed made cutscenes enforced it wasn’t surprising it was the minimal solution and retained but it’s weird that it survived through the more proper remake in recent times. Goes against the philosophy of remaking the dungeons in the first place

Yeah, he asks you a question, you stare at him silently for a second, and he says (in other words) "that's an insincere answer". It makes no sense at all in the cutscene.

It is an iconically nonsense line though :(

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Made my instant portraits because I want to at least look like something else other than someone that's probably boring.

Possible psycho sounds fine. Had to change the portrait for the casting and healing classes that wore Scaevan Gear because it looked weird.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

saw someone on twitter point out a systems quirk that offers some compelling insight into the plot moving forward. confirmed it for myself too.

(6.3 dungeon spoilers) if you look at the trusts for lapis manalis, it's scrollable and includes zero as an option. this is in contrast to other dungeons where you get one-off assistance; the easy example is lyna, who you can have in duty support for holminster but is not a trust. trust members are all long-term party members/scions, so imo this seems to point pretty clearly to her continued presence moving forward into 7.0

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Valentin posted:

(6.3 dungeon spoilers) if you look at the trusts for lapis manalis, it's scrollable and includes zero as an option. this is in contrast to other dungeons where you get one-off assistance; the easy example is lyna, who you can have in duty support for holminster but is not a trust. trust members are all long-term party members/scions, so imo this seems to point pretty clearly to her continued presence moving forward into 7.0

During the add phase on Cagnazzo, Zero and Y'shtola literally one shot a crystal each. Was pretty surprising to me when I gapclosed to one only for it to explode and vanish.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hooray, she probably isn't going to die a horrible death then...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Valentin posted:

saw someone on twitter point out a systems quirk that offers some compelling insight into the plot moving forward. confirmed it for myself too.

I really really hope so.

Pyp
Jul 29, 2022
i understand the logic of that but i will point out that ryne is also available as a trust option through all shb dungeons and she doesnt stay with us after shb so. like its not necessarily strange for a character to be a trust option for the content they were part of (even if they eventually leave later)

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the point of trusts is that they level up. if she only persisted for the three 6.X dungeons, having her as a trust would be almost exactly* equivalent to duty support, making it an unnecessary effort.

*I think the only difference is that you couldn't use her with any mix&matched alt outfit scion, which doesn't seem like enough to warrant making her a trust

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 11, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love the adventure plates!

Pyp
Jul 29, 2022

Valentin posted:

the point of trusts is that they level up. if she only persisted for the three 6.X dungeons, having her as a trust would be almost exactly* equivalent to duty support, making it an unnecessary effort.

*I think the only difference is that you couldn't use her with any mix&matched alt outfit scion, which doesn't seem like enough to warrant making her a trust

hmmm i guess thats right yeah

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Still trying to find the perfect expression.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Macaluso posted:

I love the adventure plates!

My combat glamors are mostly trying to be cool and using the job-specific animations, so I guess I'm never getting commends again.

Also its face detection is terrible, most of my poses are annoyingly off-center because actually framing it properly makes it puke.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
why are the portraits super tiny in the commendation window, is there a way to make them bigger?

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Countblanc posted:

why are the portraits super tiny in the commendation window, is there a way to make them bigger?
You can right click the top of the frame and set the zoom you want
Also at the start of a duty you can click the green notice to show them again if it disappeared too fast at the start, move and zoom the frame then

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

Some people have brought up (pre-dungeon MSQ) the hopeless boss fight as Zero where you lose because you fail an impossible mechanic, and I have to say that is the perfect way to handle hopeless boss fights in FF14. Between this and the revamped 2.0 Lahabrea fight it seems like the devs have finally grasped how to make forced losses feel satisfying and not bullshit. Good on them, and I look forward to losing more MSQ fights in the future!

Maybe one day they can revamp the Zenos and Ran'jit fights to fit this mold, too.

I've only just completed the dungeon but is there anyway to beat the fight as Zero only? I died at the part where you have to step into the falling orbs and I wasn't quick enough with my movement but I reckon it still should be possible to get all 4 orbs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

shoc77 posted:

I've only just completed the dungeon but is there anyway to beat the fight as Zero only? I died at the part where you have to step into the falling orbs and I wasn't quick enough with my movement but I reckon it still should be possible to get all 4 orbs.

It's not possible, the falling orbs are slightly too fast for Zero to get into the third one no matter what you do (outside of hacking).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, it's a mechanical reinforcement of the theme of learning to accept help/friendship. You can't succeed at that mechanic as Zero alone, but it's trivial with four characters.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I would simply use reaper jump, pure skill issue tbh

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Literal wizard tank

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibblebibble posted:

Literal wizard tank

Finally

Dragon Kick tank

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Still trying to find the perfect expression.

I want to say the one on the right, but being able to just slightly see the eye rolling back on the left gives it the edge imo.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I will pay dozens of hours for the zero hat emote

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Consummate Professional posted:

I will pay dozens of hours for the zero hat emote

Unavailable for Viera and Hrothgar

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Not my problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

tried to do the new alliance raid tonight and had the first minute of the first boss playback at 8x speed while i was frozen in place, checked winMTR and i'm getting 50%+ packet loss on one of the hops and 3% on the final node

guess it's time to drop another $10 into the pockets of mudfish llc. like it's loving 2015 again