Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

6m runs on sporadic-e which isn't quiiiite in season yet. there's a smaller season coming up probably thanksgiving to valentine's, and a big rear end one in the summer, say memorial day to labor day.

it's big when it's open. few years back i got 6m VUCC in one season with 100w and a dipole at 15 feet

Switched back to wire antenna because the coax dipole was installed at ground level lol. (its an ok portable 6m antenna atleast).

And i got THIS

New distance record LETS GOOOOO

false edit: ITS THE SEASON LETS GOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I was about to come back and post in here, yeah, i got a dxmaps alert a couple hours back. 6m (and 10m!) time.

I think for winter fun i'm gonna drag the radio shack 10m rig out and put a simple wire up and park it on either ft8 or wspr

America
Apr 26, 2017

Here's a weird question: is it possible to modify an audio/musical instrument amplifier (say, a 100W+ solid-state amp head) to operate in the radio frequency range, in order to boost the output from a low-wattage radio? Or is there some fundamental difference between radio output and audio amplifier circuit designs that makes this impossible with just component swaps?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
For the lowest, lowest of bands, yes. For actual HF/VHF/UHF, naw. The transistors are built differently and all the values are orders of magnitudes off.

But some hams do take a big got dang 1,000 watt Hafler audio amp, remove the lowpass capacitors from the output, and run them on the 1750m (160-190 KHz) band, because the amps work fine up there.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Dealing with a lot of RFI in the shack (probably from switching power supplies), but most of the time it's not a big deal because it doesn't overlap the frequencies I'm trying to use.

Sometimes it does overlap, and i wonder if there's any clever ways to "nudge" the noise to a higher or lower frequency? For example, maybe altering the temperature of a switching power supply would do it? I think it tends to climb higher in frequency as it heats up. Maybe if there were a variable capacitor in the mix somehow, i could crank that to move the noise out of the way?

EDIT: thanks jonny vvv --- also, i found this video of a power supply with the feature i had in mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP_tuAp9jUI&t=256s

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 24, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Some power supplies actually do have an offset switch to change the base frequency of the chopper circuit and thus all its harmonics. I don't have details on how you would add such a thing though....if you find the oscillator circuit you can likely figure out how to add a switchable capacitor or something to git r done

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Random retail therapy: Been seeing if there actually Are any Deals on Ebay any more. got a decent one. $200 plus shipping for an IC-2100h and an IC-V8000. I'm going to clean up the former and kick it to a goon in need for cheap, and replace the FT8900R in the truck (which i hate and have bitched about numerous times) with the V8000. I'd rather have a bulletproof and easy to operate 2m monobander with 75 smokin' watts of mountain-loving power and great audio than some quad band gimmick that I still don't know how to operate without pulling over and poking at the panel.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I was so disappointed back like a decade ago when I realized the 8900r was FM only on 10 and 6.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Spouse and I hung a GP-98 off our old composite box of rot and plugged it into a ftm-400xdr.

Holy poo poo digital modes continue to blow my mind.

It's wicked cool listening in over wires-x to randos on the other side of the planet from a solar powered homebrew camper in the middle of the Sonoran desert.

I picked up a ft-5dr to bounce off of the camper when I'm out and about on two wheels. Its rubber duck can't reach the local wires-x repeater. The jeep will get one in time so the two can chat with one another underway.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I have another dumb question about SDR. I've been playing with GQRX, is there a plugin or a different software that would let me schedule a frequency and time to record my favorite FM shows? I haven't had much luck getting SDR++ to compile, but that looks like an OSX problem.

I've poked around and it doesn't seem a big feature request, so maybe its already common and I'm just missing it?

America
Apr 26, 2017

Vaporware posted:

I have another dumb question about SDR. I've been playing with GQRX, is there a plugin or a different software that would let me schedule a frequency and time to record my favorite FM shows? I haven't had much luck getting SDR++ to compile, but that looks like an OSX problem.

I've poked around and it doesn't seem a big feature request, so maybe its already common and I'm just missing it?

This is about the simplest capture method I've found: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rx_tools-rtl-sdr-command-line-tools-rtl_power-rtl_fm-rtl_sdr-now-compatible-with-almost-any-sdr/

You'll have to schedule it with some other software.

On another note, I have a grounding question for folks. What's the best way to ground my radio? Here's the setup in a crude diagram (looking at my house from the top):

[Main Power Panel + Grounding Rods] ---- 80' distance ---- [Grounded outlet inside radio room] ---- [Power Strip] ---- [120V to 12V converter] ---- [20W radio] ---- 30' coax ---- [Ground rod and disconnect] ---- 80' coax ---- [Balun + 40m loop antenna]

I measure ~70VDC between the ground conductor for the coax running into the room from the antenna and the ground on the rest of the equipment inside. Can I ground the radio chassis to one of the ground pins on the power strip? Is there such a thing as a ground-only three-prong cord for such a use-case? The other stuff on the power strip is audio equipment and a laptop.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Measuring such a DC voltage is very strange. Unless there's lightning in the area and you measure static charge (The voltage can then be hundreds, sometims thousands of volts).
Perhaps connect a 47k resistor parallel with your (i assume digital) meter and see if the voltage drops to nearly zero. Of course, never do such measurements when lightning might roll in.

Grounding the radio to the power strip is good for safety, but useless as an RF ground. The whole mains ground system has a way too high inductance to be effective as an RF ground. Hook up the transceiver to a dedicated RF ground system. That can be counterpoise (isolated wires running over the ground, or buried a few centimeters underneath) or a good ground rod system.
You connect that ground to the ground lug/screw/terminal on the transceiver. Use as short a length of cable as possible. I use old but decent quality TV coax with the braid and core connected together.

Cedarbridge
Feb 21, 2011

I've been putting off getting my baby license for a while now. I blame COVID for shutting down the local club offices for most of the time immediately after I got my first radio. Assuming I'm just wandering with a baofeng and occasionally chatting up the local repeater there's not a lot of reason to get beyond the technician license for now right?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The general license gets you additional privileges on HF beyond what you can do with the technician license. If you mainly want to chat on 2m and 70cm repeaters then technician is what you need. It's worth reading over the general license content and test questions before you take the test though, because if you pass the technician test then you get a free shot at the general test too in the same test session. That's how I ended up getting my general ticket. I had planned to just go for technician and the VEs talked me into giving the general a shot.

America
Apr 26, 2017

LimaBiker posted:

Measuring such a DC voltage is very strange. Unless there's lightning in the area and you measure static charge (The voltage can then be hundreds, sometims thousands of volts).
Perhaps connect a 47k resistor parallel with your (i assume digital) meter and see if the voltage drops to nearly zero. Of course, never do such measurements when lightning might roll in.

Grounding the radio to the power strip is good for safety, but useless as an RF ground. The whole mains ground system has a way too high inductance to be effective as an RF ground. Hook up the transceiver to a dedicated RF ground system. That can be counterpoise (isolated wires running over the ground, or buried a few centimeters underneath) or a good ground rod system.
You connect that ground to the ground lug/screw/terminal on the transceiver. Use as short a length of cable as possible. I use old but decent quality TV coax with the braid and core connected together.

Thanks. After reading a bit I think my problem was installing two ground rods <100' away from each other and not bonding them together. I had intended the more recent rod to act as lightning protection but clearly I didn't think the whole thing through. Today on a less-cloudy day (I am at the top of a hill) I measured a less-wacky 4.5V between the new rod ground and the AC ground. After disconnecting the antenna from the ill-conceived ground rod now I read 0V between my radio chassis and AC ground. I have several months before lightning season to figure out some actual protection.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Think I bricked my MD-390. I pulled it out after not using it in 2 years, decided I should update the firmware... firmware updated, but it's still flashing the green and red firmware programming mode LEDs and the screen is off, even after rebooting and pulling the battery.

Anybody run into this?

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Sounds like a bad flash, but since the LEDs are still flashing the bootloader is working. Try running the firmware update tool again.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Maybe 1.5 years ago in this thread I had an idea for an ic7300 mod I could maybe sell.

Turns out having just an idea is worthless.
Doing a proof of concept is a lot of fun and rewarding.
Making it into a thing you can let other people use is extremely difficult, time consuming, and discouraging.

I made a halfway ok youtube video, and wrote like 7000 words of documentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HstbYwh1uc

What do people think? Looking for some gentle reality check here.

I've spent so much time on this I think I've lost sight if people will actually want this thing or what people's expectations are.
I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel for this project. Hopefully it is not the light of an oncoming train.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Maybe 1.5 years ago in this thread I had an idea for an ic7300 mod I could maybe sell.

Making it into a thing you can let other people use is extremely difficult, time consuming, and discouraging.

I've spent so much time on this I think I've lost sight if people will actually want this thing or what people's expectations are.
I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel for this project. Hopefully it is not the light of an oncoming train.

Looks awesome. The 7300's lack of ethernet connectivity like the 9700 is a huge bummer. Been planning on a way to give my dad remote access after he gets his general.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Oh hey, I remember this. Great job!

I feel you on the "turning it into a thing someone can use" thing. At the risk of doxing myself, I wrote a web-based remote control app for an HF radio during Covid, and turned it into a full-fledged open source project. Releasing it and announcing it was terrifying.

I even went so far to make Windows binaries for all the hams running Windows, so they wouldn't have to install any dev tools to compile it or anything. It's been all of those things - difficult, time consuming, but maybe not discouraging -- although I've found my motivation came and went over the last couple of years. I have had a fair number of people using the app, and some nice hams even sent me some cash over the holidays, but it definitely didn't pay for the 100's or 1000's of hours I put into it over the years.

Having a roadmap helped out, and it was also nice having some active users testing the app out and sending bug reports and feature requests.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Thanks for the positive feedback.

manero posted:

Oh hey, I remember this. Great job!

I feel you on the "turning it into a thing someone can use" thing. At the risk of doxing myself, I wrote a web-based remote control app for an HF radio during Covid, and turned it into a full-fledged open source project. Releasing it and announcing it was terrifying.

I even went so far to make Windows binaries for all the hams running Windows, so they wouldn't have to install any dev tools to compile it or anything. It's been all of those things - difficult, time consuming, but maybe not discouraging -- although I've found my motivation came and went over the last couple of years. I have had a fair number of people using the app, and some nice hams even sent me some cash over the holidays, but it definitely didn't pay for the 100's or 1000's of hours I put into it over the years.

Having a roadmap helped out, and it was also nice having some active users testing the app out and sending bug reports and feature requests.

Cool to hear about your project and the same sort of experience and anxiety around announcing it.

The discouraging is more feeling it is never done. I opened up like 18 github issues for things that effect the open source app, and probably have another 5 tasks for the closed source parts of it. Just a big list of things before it is ready. Trying to aim for good and not perfect...

The 100s or 1000s of hours, I feel you here. I'm probably ~500 hours and $2k in NRE, $5k in materials. My significant other is being very patient!!

The active users thing is a really good idea. I am about to try and get some. Free closed beta (5), then a paid beta (another 5) where people pay essentially cost, and then go general availability.
When I get there I might even ask people on the forums about being in the beta and get banned probably. I wonder if :10bux: is deductible as a business cost.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

This looks great, and if I had a 7300 I'd be super interested. Nice job!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Cool to hear about your project and the same sort of experience and anxiety around announcing it.

The discouraging is more feeling it is never done. I opened up like 18 github issues for things that effect the open source app, and probably have another 5 tasks for the closed source parts of it. Just a big list of things before it is ready. Trying to aim for good and not perfect...

The 100s or 1000s of hours, I feel you here. I'm probably ~500 hours and $2k in NRE, $5k in materials. My significant other is being very patient!!

The active users thing is a really good idea. I am about to try and get some. Free closed beta (5), then a paid beta (another 5) where people pay essentially cost, and then go general availability.
When I get there I might even ask people on the forums about being in the beta and get banned probably. I wonder if :10bux: is deductible as a business cost.

One thing I struggled with at the start, was whether to make it a commercial product, or to open source it. I probably could have made some good money selling copies of the software, but I decided I didn’t want to turn my hobby into a job. Be aware of that angle.

Coincidentally enough, I have 18 open GitHub issues as well, and I’ve justly accepted that I’ll never get to some or just not even bother. “Good enough” definitely helps in this situation. Sure, it would be cool to be able to use a browser’s audio API to stream mic audio to the radio, but in reality, I’ll probably never get to it, and it’s totally fine.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
I am interested in the technical aspects you've got going on there! but I understand re: doxx
What did you end up using to pipe audio back to the html5 gui?
For my native->native app, I'm looking at WebRTC, RTP, and maybe something homebrew nonsense protocol.

WebRTC looks cool because two way natively, reasonable C++ clients, and if I wanted to give myself an enormous amount of work I could do a web client.
RTP seems reasonable/old/proven, just gotta fight with ffmpeg/libav, which I may have to do with WebRTC anyway.

I'm not sure how sensitive the latency issue is going to be and how much to fiddle. Curious how you addressed the problem!

And yea, riding the line between fun and work, scales tipping towards work at the end of development here, having to force myself to finish it. Being a hardware/software project my hand is somewhat forced, I basically have to sell it for 2x my cost to have it make any sort of sense and keep it going. I think?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I am interested in the technical aspects you've got going on there! but I understand re: doxx
What did you end up using to pipe audio back to the html5 gui?
For my native->native app, I'm looking at WebRTC, RTP, and maybe something homebrew nonsense protocol.

WebRTC looks cool because two way natively, reasonable C++ clients, and if I wanted to give myself an enormous amount of work I could do a web client.
RTP seems reasonable/old/proven, just gotta fight with ffmpeg/libav, which I may have to do with WebRTC anyway.

I'm not sure how sensitive the latency issue is going to be and how much to fiddle. Curious how you addressed the problem!

And yea, riding the line between fun and work, scales tipping towards work at the end of development here, having to force myself to finish it. Being a hardware/software project my hand is somewhat forced, I basically have to sell it for 2x my cost to have it make any sort of sense and keep it going. I think?

The radio sends RTP packets that contain raw PCM samples, so it was pretty easy to pick the payload out of the packets and send them to the browser over a websocket. But that was after lots and lots of reverse engineering to figure out what the sample rate was.

The latency isn't too much of a problem, but it adds up when you use the app across the internet. At home on a LAN connection, the audio matches up fairly closely.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I did a hardware project a while back (not ham-related) and was toying with trying to commercialize it, but it's a small potential market and would involve either 1) setting up injection molding (holy poo poo expensive) or 2) running 8 hours of 3d printing for each unit. Also the electronic parts alone were about $50, and assembly involves allowing glue to cure for several hours... So I said screw it and put it all online under a CC license. I've already got a job.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

My expectation is that you need to sell one to me so I can be one of your guinea pigs. No jokes.

I won't pay for that horrible icom software

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i've been following your posts about this the whole time, and i'm very impressed with your results!

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Thanks everyone. It'll help me grind through this last bit of this. Johnny I may indeed come back to haunt a couple of ya with beta unit invites.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know this isn’t technically what this thread is about, but I picked this up today for a pittance at a thrift store. It works great as far as I can tell but I haven’t read the manual enough to really know how it works yet.

I did get some police/ems chatter, and being right on Lake Michigan, some marine/cargo chatter as well. It can do some of the ham bands as well but I haven’t messed too much with that yet.

I have to read up on how to lock out the digital channels because boy howdy are they loud and they can’t be squelched out.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They're great I love my scanner

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Those desktop form factor ones are chill. am/fm clock radios that you can pop on NOAA weather and 2m/70cm repeaters? That's plenty of utility.

Old lovely scanners are fun detectors for 6/10 meter openings. Hook them up to an outside antenna (can be cheap, CB whip or something) and have them scan 29.600 and 52.525. When the band opens the FM guys should make it squawk

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had the pleasure of driving a uhaul box truck from Milwaukee to Chicago today, so I decided to bring the scammer to see what was out there.

I picked up a bunch of ham activity along I94, including some real time computer janitoring

https://youtu.be/NhnsJrDRtYc

I’ve figured it out. HAM radio is discord for boomers

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh 100% HAM is where angry old people voice their issues.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
What is this HAM stuff y'all are going on about?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Ham Helpdesk, or Helpdesk Ham would be cool garage band names.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

join the goon dmr weekly net. most of us are computer professionals and its 100% angry man shakes fist at cloud chat

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

yummycheese posted:

join the goon dmr weekly net. most of us are computer professionals and its 100% angry man shakes fist at cloud chat

Which is tonight on talk group 3163563 (set the contact as group) at 7p eastern.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drunk mutt posted:

Which is tonight on talk group 3163563 (set the contact as group) at 7p eastern.

9 pm eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Motronic posted:

9 pm eastern.

Damnit, I constantly do that...

I hate timezones