Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Timby posted:

I'd just as soon not see Holzhauer on my television again. Smug prick.

Please sign your posts in the form of a question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
it's interesting as like a "can the greatest players of the post-Trebek era beat the greatest player of the post-Ken era" thought experiment

my thoughts:
i do not think they will. there's a lot of (well-deserved) controversy around james as the idiot website guy, the dumbass media darling who "BROKE JEOPARDY !?!????", the BIG BET GAMBLER poo poo, the made-them-change-the-rules-about-final-jeopardy-shout-out guy, etc etc. it's often forgotten just how incredibly good at jeopardy he is, everything else aside. Of his initial 33 games he got FJ correct 32 times. He buzzed in and answered wrong an average of fewer than once per game. He holds 16 of the 20 highest one-day scores, including all of the top 12. every stat points to him being, imo, a massive massive favorite here. i would like to be wrong; we will see!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

"Who are the Talking Heads?" should not have been accepted. There is no "the".

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The Mighty Moltres posted:

there's no "The talking heads", though

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Spokes posted:

my thoughts:
there's a lot of (well-deserved) controversy around james as the idiot website guy, ... the made-them-change-the-rules-about-final-jeopardy-shout-out guy, etc etc.

What are these a reference to? I missed James' run entirely and just saw occasional headlines about a guy making big DD wagers and breaking records, so I guess I'm out of the loop. I thought people were just irritated by his play style.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

IIRC the general rule is that no ones gives a gently caress about articles unless it's an Invisible Man/The Invisible Man situation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What are these a reference to? I missed James' run entirely and just saw occasional headlines about a guy making big DD wagers and breaking records, so I guess I'm out of the loop. I thought people were just irritated by his play style.

To coincide with his initial run, James published a website and updated it daily with his "humbled subjects" (people he'd beaten on the show). Dude didn't even bother to do a good job hiding that it was his; a simple WHOIS and registrar lookup pointed to him.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

banned from Starbucks posted:

Was gonna say your fly is open before i realized it was a reflection.

Turn on your monitor.

In all seriousness, retro good luck Spokes

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Timby posted:

To coincide with his initial run, James published a website and updated it daily with his "humbled subjects" (people he'd beaten on the show). Dude didn't even bother to do a good job hiding that it was his; a simple WHOIS and registrar lookup pointed to him.

I was under the impression that it was never verified to be him--i feel like that would have been a dealbreaker for the GOAT tournament and/or the chase, and it really could have been any one of his obnoxious sycophants. that said, he also probably could have had it taken down day 1, and he didn't. so i'm fine with him getting the blame for it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Spokes posted:

I was under the impression that it was never verified to be him--i feel like that would have been a dealbreaker for the GOAT tournament and/or the chase, and it really could have been any one of his obnoxious sycophants. that said, he also probably could have had it taken down day 1, and he didn't. so i'm fine with him getting the blame for it.

Yeah you can go back to page 185 to find discussion about it and nobody mentions it was registered to him. People just assumed it was him because it was obviously someone with inside information.

edit: the site is still up, with whoisguard active. I don't have access to any historical whois service.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 11, 2023

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
There's no way someone outside of James or his friends/family made that site. It was up and running on March 2nd and his first episode didn't air until April.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
What was it like standing next to Yogesh pounding on that buzzer?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
current champ is on a tear

they keep puttin a bunch of clowns up against him though. it's like these people haven't had the rules explained to them. oh wait you LOSE money if you answer wrongly?? No way!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
A. gently caress Holtzhauer . loving prick.

B. I donno , like a champions thing is a cool idea ish, but I’ve basically lost hope on Jeopardy , they aren’t going to treat it as much of anything but a money grab now that Trebek is fine.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Gunshow Poophole posted:

current champ is on a tear

they keep puttin a bunch of clowns up against him though. it's like these people haven't had the rules explained to them. oh wait you LOSE money if you answer wrongly?? No way!

Losing money for incorrect responses? That sounds like quite the Jeopardy!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So next week has another of the world's top-tier trivia players, Troy Meyer, playing.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

christmas boots posted:

IIRC the general rule is that no ones gives a gently caress about articles unless it's an Invisible Man/The Invisible Man situation.

Sure, but David Byrne has been pretty clear in the past that the lack of "the" is important to the name of his band. I could Google it, but I have other hills to die on.

January 10 FJ spoiler: I am proud to have answered correctly, but only because I literally just finished reading a lovingly-used copy of One Thousand And One Nights.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I got it instantly but I'd have lost money anyway just because I have no idea how to spell it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sure, but David Byrne has been pretty clear in the past that the lack of "the" is important to the name of his band. I could Google it, but I have other hills to die on.

January 10 FJ spoiler: I am proud to have answered correctly, but only because I literally just finished reading a lovingly-used copy of One Thousand And One Nights.
They literally had an album called "The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Missed the on-air broadcast. The area weatherman was desperately trying to will a tornado into being for an area with possums than humans, and he's been trying to do this for 90 minutes.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

They literally had an album called "The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads"

Chris Frantz calls them "The Talking Heads" during the Tom Tom Club section of Stop Making Sense sooooo

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Same as it ever was.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
WRT Talking Heads, the show is not going to look for reasons to rule contestants wrong because that's bad TV. There's no other The Talking Heads band to get confused with so they'll take it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"What is Ohio State University?"
"Sorry, no."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

zakharov posted:

WRT Talking Heads, the show is not going to look for reasons to rule contestants wrong because that's bad TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUW-iSGvQGc&t=19s

vvvv duh you dork, that's why I shared it; your "help" was explaining the obvious

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 13, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

That was also bad TV and made everyone really mad, hth

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

christmas boots posted:

That's the exact example they gave in orientation, heh. I expect that if the show were going to hold fast to the rule for this Talking Heads clue that they would have just scrapped the clue entirely rather than decide to rule somebody wrong on it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It sounded like they didn't even expect the correct name of the Statue of Liberty!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It sounded like they didn't even expect the correct name of the Statue of Liberty!

it's better than the time ben ingram said "war between the states"

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Dang, the 13/01/2023 game was tense. Rock on to the winner!

Edit: I watch on YouTube during my lunch break. Y'all should try it out.

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 13, 2023

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

AzureFlame posted:

Chris Frantz calls them "The Talking Heads" during the Tom Tom Club section of Stop Making Sense sooooo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I bet this is what broke up the band

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

AzureFlame posted:

He was just leaving the door open for The Heads later on

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

The greatest thing about this stupid, stupid debate is that everyone is right. Yes it is “Talking Heads”, no one is disputing that. Jeopardy accepting “The Talking Heads” is consistent with their rules. However, if this is a wrong that you personally wish to right, the good news is that you can! simply start a band called “THE talking heads” and gain enough notoriety to feature on jeopardy. Boom, done

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

discussion/spoilers of today's episode
incredible hair AND an incredible interview from middle lectern challenger

and the new champ LMAO absolutely swinging that cudgel of not knowing how to bet and clearing the stage with it. i LOVE it. three days til Troy Meyer plays!! (also, three days until i play the chase. whatever)

Spokes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 16, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Anyway if you go back and check the tape it's obvious he said Who Are the "Talking Heads?" and not Who Are "The Talking Heads?"

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
It's Invisible Man vs The Invisible Man. Is there a well-known band called THE Talking Heads? No.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Remains in Light Pen

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Hilarious final jeopardy today, and an entire round of the defending champ being completely unable to buzz in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Anyway if you go back and check the tape it's obvious he said Who Are the "Talking Heads?" and not Who Are "The Talking Heads?"

This is my favourite stupid Jeopardy thread detail ever.