Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

someone explain me the physical formats. you're telling me there's something better than blu-ray now? I thought uhd preceded Blu-ray.

please help. I need to throw off the egg yolk of streaming so I can hatch into a beautiful physical media enjoyer. no I don't and won't use google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you don't have an UHDVHS player i don't even know what to say to you

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I thought it stinks

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

priznat posted:

They shoulda gotten the musical artist Shaggy to voice Shaggy, problem solved
Yea I agree they really missed their chance on this one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought I didn't have any bluray players but then I remembered I have a xbox series x and I think that will play 4k uhd blurays or whatever so exorcist 3 here I come!!!

Also Smiling Friends rules. Was that Gilbert Gottfried's last role on the last ep of S1? Dude owned.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Michael Cusack also did YOLO: Crystal Fantasy, which is worth a watch.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

kalel posted:

someone explain me the physical formats. you're telling me there's something better than blu-ray now? I thought uhd preceded Blu-ray.

please help. I need to throw off the egg yolk of streaming so I can hatch into a beautiful physical media enjoyer. no I don't and won't use google

It’s called Ultra HD Bluray, or UHD. it’s fuckin great, and any 4k streaming video is nowhere near this quality due to streaming compression. Most of them aren’t even very much more money then their Bluray counterparts, and most of them also come with a Bluray in the box so even if you don’t have a UHD player you can start buying them now for a later upgrade.

Edit: And it’s pretty awesome how much schlock gets released on it.

https://a.co/d/hAUIlVF

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 11, 2023

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i wouldn't mind watching through smiling friends but i don't think it's readily available on the exact distribution of places to watch things i have access to

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh I see, uhd is a continuation of Blu-ray but with 4k. and I was thinking of hd-dvd

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Torrents will outlast your silly discs. That's were you will find smiling friends too.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

mallratcal posted:

Michael Cusack also did YOLO: Crystal Fantasy, which is worth a watch.

Sadly Koala man isn’t as good

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

got "uncle at Thanksgiving" vibes from Mike when he started going into genetics and nepo-baby merit

It was a bad take, I fully expected Mike to whip out a pair of calipers and start measuring skulls at any minute. But at the same time it was so flaccid and poorly thought out that I couldn’t muster the effort to actually be upset.

Not really sure why they felt they needed to defend their “friend” Jack Quaid who will probably never be on their show again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvg1CKBE20

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cowcaster posted:

i wouldn't mind watching through smiling friends but i don't think it's readily available on the exact distribution of places to watch things i have access to
it's on hbo max, that's how I watched it

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

colonelwest posted:

It was a bad take, I fully expected Mike to whip out a pair of calipers and start measuring skulls at any minute. But at the same time it was so flaccid and poorly thought out that I couldn’t muster the effort to actually be upset.

Not really sure why they felt they needed to defend their “friend” Jack Quaid who will probably never be on their show again.

I mean Mike kept talking about how hung Max Landis was, I think he just has a huge celebrity boner and can’t help himself

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Carrie Fisher, star of 'Star Wars', said it best about nepotism in response to questions about her daughter getting roles. "It's about family, that's what makes it so powerful"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

sure okay posted:

Nepotism is ubiquitous because it has a perceived benefit for both sides. Perceived being the important word there. For the parents, it's the obvious vain stab at immortality. "If my son, who looks like me, was raised by me, goes into the same industry as me, he essentially becomes me. I didn't really die." It's motivated by our shared fear of mortality.

Nepotism doesn't mean going into the same business as your parents. It just means using your connections through relatives and friends to get advantages in a field. It's when you get a job because you know the person hiring or you know someone who knows.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

priznat posted:

They shoulda gotten the musical artist Shaggy to voice Shaggy, problem solved

unfortunately it wasn't him

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DaysBefore posted:

Oddly it wasn't until after Hodor got banned that we finally got rid of Bust Rodd. Perhaps some progress requires sacrifices.

I know how to get him back, but it's risky:

Isn't it weird how you never saw them in the same room together?

LanceHunter posted:

His late-career turn into becoming a massive Jenny supporter (after her "Church Play Cinematic Universe" video) was one of the better-executed face-turns in SA history.

TBF that video was hilarious and if every jenny vid was as good the haters would have no choice but to back off

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They already did the best "dark scooby doo" of all time on venture bros, probably 15 years ago now at least

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

They already did the best "dark scooby doo" of all time on venture bros, probably 15 years ago now at least

They also realized it was awesome for one 30 minute episode and not a whole show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

priznat posted:

lol when Mike was going on about the genetics of nepo babies stuff I was like "oooh gonna be some spicy talk in the rlm thread over this!"

surprisingly tame so far come on guys

We've accepted mike for who he is. isnt it time you did the same

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Someone should remind Mindy Kailin that Asian-Americans are the wealthiest ethnic group in the US and that she was born into a rich family.

But I guess the point is just to have a bunch of hot pseudo-left identity politics takes and to use the resulting shitstorm of “discourse” as free marketing.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Roumba posted:

Do people actually put in real info for sites like YouTube and poo poo? I assumed everyone used bullshit data like 4/20/1969 or 1/23/45 for all birthdates and etc.?

Or does YT do the digging itself?

Facebook started this weird social norm 15 years ago of using real information about yourself on the internet, starting with your name. It's disgusting in hindsight.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

colonelwest posted:

Someone should remind Mindy Kailin that Asian-Americans are the wealthiest ethnic group in the US and that she was born into a rich family.

But I guess the point is just to have a bunch of hot pseudo-left identity politics takes and to use the resulting shitstorm of “discourse” as free marketing.

It always weirds me out that you northerners lump in people from the subcontinent as "Asians" as if there's any cultural connection between Taiwan and Bangladesh. I guess it's the same S tier racial system that looks at someone with red hair and freckles that will most likely catch on fire if they step outside on an overcast day and go "no, definitely not white".

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I quite enjoyed "Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated" where they fight actual Lovecraftian monsters and other paranormal entities in an ongoing story arc over the entire series, and there's lots of fun references to horror movies.

Not so sure about that Velma thing having watched that trailer that seems to be so aware of itself being bad that it's trying to preempt it Ghostbusters 2016 style.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

It always weirds me out that you northerners lump in people from the subcontinent as "Asians" as if there's any cultural connection between Taiwan and Bangladesh. I guess it's the same S tier racial system that looks at someone with red hair and freckles that will most likely catch on fire if they step outside on an overcast day and go "no, definitely not white".

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

is there a way to tell/is it disclaimed on the box whether a given Blu-ray or uhd disc has been automagically upscaled to hd, or rescanned from the master

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kingo Ligma posted:

Oh yeah it’s a stupidly broad definition, and I’m fully aware that there are huge differences between south and East-Asia etc… But it’s the category that the US government lumps almost anyone who is not White, Black, Hispanic or Native American into for stuff like the census.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 11, 2023

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Cowcaster posted:

i saw the term rainbow capitalist applied elsewhere. that general disney surface-level lip-service to the lgbt community while milking them for all the cash they've got in their rear end wallets and general regressive views otherwise

Rainbow Capitalism is just a new term for Recuperation, the mechanism through which capitalism absorbs politically radical ideas and imagery and then turns them into products to be sold. In doing so it turns radicalism into part of the system and ensures that it can never threaten the status quo distribution of power and wealth.

Hollywood is a giant exploitative industry controlled by a handful of monopolies. It is inherently conservative in its worldview, but it’s very good at painting a rainbow veneer over a rotten system. So good in fact that it’s totally enthralled the mainstream left, and rendered it almost completely impotent for decades.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

kalel posted:

is there a way to tell/is it disclaimed on the box whether a given Blu-ray or uhd disc has been automagically upscaled to hd, or rescanned from the master

no but i remember a website used to have a running list of upscale discs

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

kalel posted:

Sometimes the box will advertise when it’s a scan of a negative or 4K positive, but not officially no. You gotta look online to know. There are exceptions with some bad transfers but you can usually just assume better format = better version of the movie, regardless.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
MIKE STOKLASA believes in GHOSTS!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Wait, UHD is a secret upgrade of bluray that they don't even advertise on the box?

And it plays better video if you have a secret upgraded bluray player?

How can I telling I am watching the 4k version if I have bad eyesight?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

no but i remember a website used to have a running list of upscale discs

Gutcruncher posted:

Sometimes the box will advertise when it’s a scan of a negative or 4K positive, but not officially no. You gotta look online to know. There are exceptions with some bad transfers but you can usually just assume better format = better version of the movie, regardless.

that's what I figured. you just gotta be ~in da know~

I imagine when physical media takes off again in 10 years after streaming collapses, the companies that manage this stuff will get their act together so they can better advertise and monetize "original negative transfer!!! remastered for HDR!!!" or whatever

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Wait, UHD is a secret upgrade of bluray that they don't even advertise on the box?

And it plays better video if you have a secret upgraded bluray player?

Shameful posting in the rlm thread for sure.

UHD is a completely different disc with different properties read using different software.

It's not secret, the boxes are a different colour (UHD are black). It also says 4K UHD on the box and not Blu ray.

Blu ray players cannot play UHDs, but most UHD players are backwards compatible

UHD has lovely marketing because it came out after streaming so no one gave a gently caress.

Basically it's the same as the difference between DVD and Blu-ray.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
On one hand Mike talked a bit too much about genetics. On the other hand he did say the phrase "nature or nurture" and then kind of trail off. So. I forgot what my point was

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

stephenthinkpad posted:

if you have bad eyesight you should do what I do, which is not care because you can't tell the difference anyway

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

4K TVs are now really good at upscaling 1080p and making up for lovely low bit rate streams, so it can be hard to tell. But I’m a weird videophile, so I see the difference even with the best upscaling.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Once streaming video crashes and burns I hope we can start getting computer games on discs again. Bluray ROM drives exist but are woefully underused thanks to Big Jerk Gabe and his internet videogame shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

colonelwest posted:

4K TVs are now really good at upscaling 1080p and making up for lovely low bit rate streams, so it can be hard to tell. But I’m a weird videophile, so I see the difference even with the best upscaling.

Does playing from a PC have better upscaling?