Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

PBJ is superior imo

PBR and a shot of Jameson

In Austin I went to a bar that offered a “Mexican Blowjob” which was a Lonestar Beer + Jameson (LBJ)

The bar by an old office would have Deer and a beer for $5 during march madness. Shot of cazadores and a lone start or tecate can. Great drink deal.

And sorry to hear about getting laid off Joey -- hope you got solid severance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

decent package? sounds like you might be dodging a bullet tbh

12 weeks severance, paid in a lump sum which sucks but eh, 6 months medical, my RSUs entirely vest which is probably the biggest part. I think the company is about to go public and that could turn into big money.

Silly Burrito posted:

You know the rules of the league Lenny

But sorry about the job, that sucks

how long do I have to keep it?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

IMO you should just append that image to the bottom of your old avatar and get a mod to upload that so you can use it as your avatar.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kalli posted:

IMO you should just append that image to the bottom of your old avatar and get a mod to upload that so you can use it as your avatar.
It's already on the server, he can get his old av and put that one under to be a gang tag or a tall avatar and then put the Lenny text under it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey Freshwater posted:

12 weeks severance, paid in a lump sum which sucks but eh, 6 months medical, my RSUs entirely vest which is probably the biggest part. I think the company is about to go public and that could turn into big money.

how long do I have to keep it?

Check with WampaLord in the thread, he’s the commish but I think we’ve said in the past until the start of next season.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Honestly more upset about the avatar than the job hahah

Yeah this place is a shitshow

I’m sorry for you but happy it happened because I kept my promise of holding mine a year and now I get to go back to Hailing Saban

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jammed a harbor freight nail gun so bad they gave me a new one.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Onward and upward man. Go on vacation.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I would kill to get laid off and snag a package like that.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Sorry about the job Joey. Hope you find something with as good of an office view as this one.

FizFashizzle posted:

Jammed a harbor freight nail gun so bad they gave me a new one.

Oh god, harbor freight nail gun, are you trying to kill yourself?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

^^^ it’s just for trim!

Ahahaha harbor freight just gave me a new nail gun without a receipt because it was jammed so badly.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I would kill to get laid off

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

^^^ it’s just for trim!

Ahahaha harbor freight just gave me a new nail gun without a receipt because it was jammed so badly.

Air?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry about being laid off, Joey. A lot of big tech seems to be making cuts "in anticipation of" an economic downturn rather than due to actual bad earnings, and I sorta suspect that whatever recession we have, if it happens at all, isn't going to actually hit tech company profits much (aside from lol twitter and maybe facebook and google) and these companies will find themselves in a bad position in a year or two because they've slashed product development.

In other words they're reacting to their own stock prices in the short term and not actual sales projections in the long term. Big surprise there.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry about being laid off, Joey. A lot of big tech seems to be making cuts "in anticipation of" an economic downturn rather than due to actual bad earnings, and I sorta suspect that whatever recession we have, if it happens at all, isn't going to actually hit tech company profits much (aside from lol twitter and maybe facebook and google) and these companies will find themselves in a bad position in a year or two because they've slashed product development.

In other words they're reacting to their own stock prices in the short term and not actual sales projections in the long term. Big surprise there.

yep. at this point all the FAANG and other large layoffs are just because they plan and not actually right-sizing costs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Leperflesh posted:

I think you nailed it. Blood sacrifices to appease wall street in the short term.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think you nailed it. Blood sacrifices to appease wall street in the short term.

Capitalism is so loving dumb

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

Member the other day when I was saying my company was looking at me to take over a bigger role, more responsibilities etc?

Lol I got laid off instead. 20% of employees

e: Aw man and I lost my avatar I loved that avatar
wait didn’t you just get an award?

Lmao gently caress corporate. I’m sorry dude.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Thanks y’all, already have some options lined up. The way I see it is if I can find another job quick I’ll be making 2x so…silver linings I guess

Definitely not gonna make it through Dry January tho

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Make sure to give yourself a bit of a break too. Enjoy a week of and just do something for yourself.

When I quit my last job I didn't really take advantage of the break. Was too anxious and just started banging away to find a job right away.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sorry to hear about the layoff. Corporations don’t give a gently caress. I’m glad the severance was decent.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/OneRadChee/status/1612985432014307328

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm in tech and we went through a pretty big layoff because while we were making profit, we weren't making ~enough~ profit for Wall Street. Those laid off got a nice severance. So, I'm glad you got yours, Joey.

Now my entire year is spent negotiating costs we need to recuperate, weeee

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

I'm in tech and we went through a pretty big layoff because while we were making profit, we weren't making ~enough~ profit for Wall Street. Those laid off got a nice severance. So, I'm glad you got yours, Joey.

I worked a contract job last year for a tech company whose name rhymes with Bee En Tear. Middle of being acquired and about 30 percent of the company, myself included, got hit in a round of layoffs in early August.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lol. Lmao

https://twitter.com/marisakabas/status/1613222211271155712?s=46&t=IF3MKUjYU9D5TJRe0mOLTQ

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

everyone reaches a point in their life where they make a certain decision

I'm going to start making bread! *flings things*

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Back in 2017 or so, my mother in law was in a dark place. She was long divorced, working at AT&T in their call center, and had no idea what her actual finances were like but assumed they were bad and she needed to keep working.
Then AT&T offered a structured early retirement package, to cut staff. This was a union contract, thank god. So it was based on seniority. She actually brought the papers over to us and asked us for advice, so we looked.

They paid out $X per month you'd worked at the company, to take early retirement, and you could take that as cash up front or as two years of monthly payments.
She was 67 and had 40 years at AT&T. She got a payout of over $200k, to retire "early", even though she was due to probably retire within the next year anyway. She couldn't believe it, I mean literally did not believe this could possibly be true. We dug in, called, asked questions, and it was true. She got a $200k payout (we took monthlies to avoid paying a huge income tax bill in one year), figured out her social security income, and also found her 401k and a rollover IRA she had forgotten about, and she's fine. Juuuust fine.

What is boggling is that AT&T made that offer. It's hard to believe they saved money. Maybe a lot of people with only five or ten years took the deal, I dunno. But it's the worst case of corporate insanity I've directly witnessed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1613004136168964096?t=SkBsCX-4kC-7EC-gU_bAkw&s=19

Proud of him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/EmmaKinery/status/1613167099383357443

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Uvalde school police chief Pedro “Pete” Arredondo told investigators he was more concerned about saving students in other classrooms than trying to stop a gunman who had already shot children and teachers."

Emma Kinery here has phrased this as if the chief admitted openly to being scared of losing officers over more dead kids, but that is not what he said, and the very first sentence of the article is unambiguous.

I don't believe him, of course - the cops were clearly being incredibly cowardly. But he didn't admit to cowardice here. Just repeatedly failing to follow protocol, for really stupid reasons.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 11, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

why isn't he in cuffs

https://www.justia.com/criminal/offenses/homicide/involuntary-manslaughter/

quote:

The first type of involuntary manslaughter occurs when a defendant recklessly or negligently commits an act that results in the death of another person. Recklessness usually means that the defendant was aware of the risk that they were creating, while negligence usually means that the defendant was not aware of the risk but reasonably should have been aware of it. The level of negligence required for involuntary manslaughter is higher than normal civil negligence and requires that the defendant have acted in a very unreasonable manner. The exact language used to describe this negligence standard varies by state, but many refer to it as “criminal negligence” or “gross negligence.”

Criminal negligence can also involve a failure to perform an act that the defendant has a duty to perform. Where a parent has a duty to take care of and protect a child, but the child dies when she is left in the car on a hot day, the parent may be culpable for involuntary manslaughter.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

thank god i moved out of that district

also rip

https://twitter.com/jeffbeckmusic/status/1613294003398799360?s=46&t=K2bhC0W50z8TVceNeKXb0g

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Meningitis is just a rough way to go. That sucks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oh so that’s why a lot of Jeff Beck was on the radio today.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BlindSite posted:

Make sure to give yourself a bit of a break too. Enjoy a week of and just do something for yourself.

When I quit my last job I didn't really take advantage of the break. Was too anxious and just started banging away to find a job right away.

For sure. When I started this job I left the previous one on Friday and was on a plane for orientation at HQ by Sunday afternoon. Though granted, orientation was a week in SoCal so it wasn't all bad.

No ring.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 12, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Right or wrong, there’s no way that would ever be applied in this kind of scenario

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The police do not have a duty to protect the public.

The ripples of Uvalde are vast and far reaching. Due to the timing of the event, Lift Every Voice Oregon was able to secure over $2m from Mike Bloomberg and get enough votes to put Measure 114 on the ballot, which passed. The measure was so poorly written that the licensing portion is not in place for people to purchase firearms, and if not for judges granting TRO's to the law there would be no way for any Oregonian to buy a firearm.

Washington state is also drafting their AWB & Illinois is about to sign their own bill into law soon. It should be noted that in these laws that LEO is exempt from any ban, so we're ceding the safety of the public to people that are likely on the same level as the Uvalde police.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Washington state is also drafting their AWB & Illinois is about to sign their own bill into law soon. It should be noted that in these laws that LEO is exempt from any ban, so we're ceding the safety of the public to people that are likely on the same level as the Uvalde police.

Illinois governor Pritzker signed the assault weapons ban into law last night.

The Jo Daviess County Sheriff and State's Attorney's offices, both run by Republicans, have already said they won't enforce the ban.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

So for his birthday SB asked our daughter to draw him Superman fighting a sharknado that had a minimum of 4 sharks. This is the outcome. Do you ever look at your kid and wonder how something so infinitely cool came from you? I do. All the time.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My partner is resigining from her school district and I'm very supportive since the stress was absolutely physically effecting her. She was originally going to take medical leave and be done once her PTO was up but the district is instead giving her an out where they'll pay her through August and keep her benefits going. The whole reason for such generosity is to keep her from suing because she was targeted by an adminstrator with extremly blantant biases against LBGTQ and BIPOC teachers and she very much falls in both category. It was so bad last year the union and outside folks told her to sue but she didn't want to deal with all that and was really, really attached to her coworkers and students. We've had two outside lawyers review to be sure everything is legit and they've signed off. I gotta admit though, I'm extremely relieved that we won't have to rely entirely on my income and her savings while she takes time off since it would stress both of us out a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

Illinois governor Pritzker signed the assault weapons ban into law last night.

The Jo Daviess County Sheriff and State's Attorney's offices, both run by Republicans, have already said they won't enforce the ban.
I'm sure the state LEO's will just use this handy chart to figure out who will be subject to actual enforcement:

Braksgirl posted:

So for his birthday SB asked our daughter to draw him Superman fighting a sharknado that had a minimum of 4 sharks. This is the outcome. Do you ever look at your kid and wonder how something so infinitely cool came from you? I do. All the time.

Your daughter has a bright future in the creative field. I look forward to seeing what she does next.