Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
is bruce prichard stilll there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

cant wait for roman to convert to islam

did a google out of curiousity and there is a random collection of youtube channels obsessed with stating Roman Reigns converted to Islam

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Like you say, it's a sample size of one that may not be at all representative, but if you want to hang your hat on corporate America acting ethically and foregoing profits by not working with an entity that dozens of others already do, hey go nuts

I just don't get why we can never have these conversations without people making poo poo up in their head to argue against. No one said they expected "corporate America" to act ethically and forego profits. All I said was, very specifically, that it doesn't seem like the small number of companies that control the major broadcast networks, cable networks, and streaming platforms have any interest in paying for programming that's produced by a company that is very publicly a subsidiary of the Saudi state. This has nothing whatsoever to do with anything you're saying. Maybe it's just not worth the hassle. Maybe the advertisers complained. I don't think it's a stretch to think the same people who allegedly complained about NXT being a google search away from a woman's butthole would balk at their ads being displayed during MBS's personal golf promotion. That's them maximizing profits, not foregoing them.

Sometimes acting in a corporation's best interest accidentally aligns with doing a "good" thing. If you assume this never happens you're gonna end up being wrong a lot.

E: And yes, maybe it will be different with WWE because it's way more of A Thing than LIV is. Who knows. It's just silly to think you HAVE to assume everyone involved will rush into business with them.

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 11, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think Fox/NBC aren't messing with LIV because it's Saudi-owned, it's because they're in bed with the PGA already, no? That same Saudi Investment gimmick has stakes in Disney, Facebook, Alphabet, and a grip of other companies.

That doesn’t explain why LIV is having trouble getting sponsorship deals though. And none of those companies are wholly owned by the Saudi government. I don’t know if there’s any mechanism that can prevent the Saudi investment fund from acquiring stakes in public companies but unless they’re getting board seats or outright owning the companies that’s a little bit different

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Sock The Great posted:

Neither FOX, Universal (or any other western media company) will enter a deal with WWE if they are owned by the Saudi PIF. Example is LIV Golf, which is rumored to be buying airtime from FS1 to broadcast their tournaments this spring.

Wait, is FS1, aka Fox Sports 1, not Fox?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I mean, LIV is
  • Televised golf
  • With no established history
  • Owned by Saudi Arabia

Each of those things is a good reason to not immediately invest in a new sports broadcasting deal. If WWE's bought, it's only going to have the third point while still being an established cornerstone of multiple channels' content schedules. I'm sure it will affect the price Fox and NBC are willing to pay, but don't set your expectations as high as needing to pay to get WWE on TV.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Lid posted:

did a google out of curiousity and there is a random collection of youtube channels obsessed with stating Roman Reigns converted to Islam

this is really bizarre

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

SunshineDanceParty posted:

You can look at WWE history, the recent Saudi shows, and the response to Vince's sex payments and make an argument that audience won't go anywhere being nudged more in that direction.

They also don't want to work with someone who might steal from them though. This is a death by a million cuts deal: they could work with sex pest Vince (they actually can't, their pressure helped forced him to step down but for the moment), maybe they could even work with the Saudis ESEPECIALLY considering the brand name WWE has. But even considering that a lot of companies won't and it has nothing to do with ethics and not opening themselves up to alienating sponsors or opening themselves up to joining in legal troubles working with Vince brings or can bring at this point.

Basically people here are acting exactly like they were when the sex scandals broke, that this was no different than the 90s and Vince was insulated in his own Carnie world free from the wider expectations of capitalism while reviving the benefits. But no one is. His bullshit and antics now affect the real money men directly, and even if as a billionaire he isn't ever going to face REAL consequences, he is in that Elon Musk position of pissing off the wrong people.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Each of those things is a good reason to not immediately invest in a new sports broadcasting deal. If WWE's bought, it's only going to have the third point while still being an established cornerstone of multiple channels' content schedules. I'm sure it will affect the price Fox and NBC are willing to pay, but don't set your expectations as high as needing to pay to get WWE on TV.

Anyone expecting this is silly however. MAYBE they lose their Fox deal and they stay on like USA Network, but that's a big if. It's more mainstream advertisers and businesses avoiding them like the plague and their ability to interact/crossover with the wider entertainment and sports worlds getting diminished heavily were it doesn't matter that there are 1 million seniors willing to watch WWE no matter what, eventually years down the road the plug has to be pulled. Whimper not bang

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 11, 2023

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

hopefully whoever started the rumor about the saudi sale cashed out once stock jumped

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Lid posted:

Mashallah

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There is no dog bigger than Allah. Except maybe Clifford

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Lid posted:

Roman Reigns has said that: I love Mohammed (pbuh)

Because he is Islamic

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Whoolighams posted:

Roman Reigns has said that: I love Mohammed (pbuh)

Because he is Islamic

He didn't say that you son of a bitch

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ackn'allah me

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think Newcastle (and Man City, and PSG) are better examples than some golf tournament they pulled out of their arse. No one will give a poo poo about the owners or their massive human rights violations. They're going to rake it in and John Laurinaitis will be the last person alive on Earth, living in a self-sustaining penthouse in Riyadh at the top of the tallest structure in the known universe.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

Sad to see people falling for the typical CNBC BS when Dave Meltzer who several of our best posters have said is never wrong reported last night that when Vince was ousted he opened up talks with the Saudis and that "his coming back was obviously close to a deal."

I believe Dave that a deal is imminent on the timescale that these sorts of things take a while usually.

King Bahamut posted:

Meltzer et al keep coming back to this and I just don’t see the comparison. LIV is a new brand, without all the top talent, and extremely clunky management that absolutely ate poo poo over the sportswashing allegations. The closest analogue would be if MBS started AEW instead of TK. If corporate america had problems doing business with the Saudi PIF they wouldn’t deal with WeWork and Uber and half a million other tech firms

Its the same in Hollywood. Studios aren't coming up with these 100 million budgets out of their own backpocket. I'd go as far to say if the budget is higher than 30 million there's a good chance there's some Saudi money invested in it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Are we gonna get another montage set to Puddle of Mudd out of this, is the real question

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yokozuna will finally come back

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

it seems stone cold is the limit here. no one is willing to say that the texas rattlesnake has converted to islam.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think Newcastle (and Man City, and PSG) are better examples than some golf tournament they pulled out of their arse. No one will give a poo poo about the owners or their massive human rights violations. They're going to rake it in and John Laurinaitis will be the last person alive on Earth, living in a self-sustaining penthouse in Riyadh at the top of the tallest structure in the known universe.

I don't know why anyone would even jump through hoops to say "Fox and USA won't care about blood money owners". Seems pretty transparent to me tbh

They didn't have a problem with the company's current owners taking the blood money before the current TV deals were made, and they certainly didn't with using time on their programming to promote the blood money Crown Jewel events. They had plenty of chances to say something about that hosed-up relationship and didn't! But now that the middleMcman's being cut out of the process, it's supposed to be a gamechanger/it's going too far for them? :thunk:

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

So the part where Steph got fired is still true this whole time, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Evil Badman posted:

Wait, is FS1, aka Fox Sports 1, not Fox?

FS1 is part of the Fox Corporation, yes.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Stealth Tiger posted:

Officially, she resigned. But yes, her being gone is true.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

https://twitter.com/StephMcMahon/status/1612956533695938560

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

LIV doesn't have a media deal because no one gives a gently caress about it. Unless being owned by the PIF gets ratings to drop WWE will be able to get a deal.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

LIV doesn't have a media deal because no one gives a gently caress about it. Unless being owned by the PIF gets ratings to drop WWE will be able to get a deal.

i actually watch a decent amount of golf (blame my dad) and I cannot express how true it is that no one gives a gently caress about LIV. the response to the product has been overwhelmingly negative, which is not helped by golfers who got 9 figure paydays bitching about world ranking points.

the multitude of reasons are boring for anyone but broke brains who like watching golf on tv but the product is just pure trash

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

post hole digger posted:

lol

it seems stone cold is the limit here. no one is willing to say that the texas rattlesnake has converted to islam.

there is no line but the bottom line and steve is its messenger

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't know why anyone would even jump through hoops to say "Fox and USA won't care about blood money owners". Seems pretty transparent to me tbh

Exactly, and this extends to punters too! The number of people who might boycott a product because it's owned by people who commit actual genocide is, frankly, negligible. Billions of people watched the World Cup last month! Newcastle has maintained 50,000+ at home this season! It took an actual war for people to go "whelp, maybe Roman Abramovich shouldn't own stuff if he's going to maybe possibly fund war crimes??" after almost twenty years of doing that in a public sports capacity.

I feel like the main difference (if the Saudi takeover even happens lol) is that WWE doesn't really have any potential growth if you keep it in its familiar pattern. You won't get any change in the product because the old man in charge is an actually insane serial rapist, but I don't think the Saudis really care about that so long as they keep making billions and have an outlet that's proven to be at least somewhat successful.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Excited for the character rebrand to LIV Morgan

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

All this talk of genocidal billionaires living their best lives with no reprecussions has really sucked out my will to live today.
Why couldn't Vince just wither away like worthless relic he is.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

All this talk of genocidal billionaires living their best lives with no reprecussions has really sucked out my will to live today.

why would you let them have that power over you pour a beer and enjoy your night

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I personally make sure that I am always several beers down!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s not the saudis that would hurt the company it’s not having Vince at the helm to make the stupid deals he does. Trips wouldn’t have negotiated a good price either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s not the saudis that would hurt the company it’s not having Vince at the helm to make the stupid deals he does. Trips wouldn’t have negotiated a good price either.

Triple H was going to put Billy Corgan on the board if he agreed to give him an NWA Title run.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

me, today

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

spinst posted:

me, today

:same:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I personally make sure that I am always several beers down!

I usually go for a pizza personally

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Shard posted:

I usually go for a pizza personally

Yeah man sometimes that's in there too!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just realized that with all the re-hirings HHH did ... he never brought back Nia Jax. LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Just realized that with all the re-hirings HHH did ... he never brought back Nia Jax. LOL.

There's a big hole in the roster