Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
LSU wisely doesn't want to build up a potential in-state rival.

I hope Howard goes to Florida. The QB room in Gainesville is pretty bare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

This is Graham Mertz erasure

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LLCoolJD posted:

At this point the game would just be a funeral for LSU.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Sweet, Tennessee into the second round of the playoffs confirmed.

In sadder news, my grandfather died today. He didn't really like football, but he had an Ohio State shirt and he made sure to wear it when he thought we would care. If you ever threw tomahawks or shot arrows at Dollywood, you might remember him:

https://youtu.be/q0IibRV5_KM

Much respect to him and sorry this happened.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Silly Burrito posted:

Walker Howard to the transfer portal??

https://twitter.com/shreveporttimes/status/1613328664220803072

Did not expect that at all.

It's the portal era

Why sit behind Daniels another year when you can play somewhere else

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

LeeMajors posted:

Man what a loving mess down there. Guess UGA about to return the favor for all the horrible things Spurrier did to them against their will.

Yeah. The 2020 game is looking increasingly like the 1997 or 2007 games, a fluke reversal of an otherwise grinding trend of beatdowns.

Couldn't be happier.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rectal Placenta posted:

Graham Mertz erased himself by playing like butt

Also he will start at UF next year, and I’m going spend a decade mumbling something about giving the toughest battles to his toughest soldiers and staring into the abyss.

HannibalBarca posted:

Yeah. The 2020 game is looking increasingly like the 1997 or 2007 games, a fluke reversal of an otherwise grinding trend of beatdowns.

Couldn't be happier.

You should be. That’s a gatdamn machine in Athens.

It’ll be fun to see if it holds together. 2009 UF, 13-1 off two titles in 4 years and with THE BEST RECRUITING CLASS EVER was restocking for a decade long run then it all fell apart in like 3 years lol

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 12, 2023

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Rectal Placenta posted:

I just looked at his stats. Against Nebraska, he went 8/18, 83 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. We're not going to miss a beat from the AR days.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Sweet, Tennessee into the second round of the playoffs confirmed.

In sadder news, my grandfather died today. He didn't really like football, but he had an Ohio State shirt and he made sure to wear it when he thought we would care. If you ever threw tomahawks or shot arrows at Dollywood, you might remember him:

https://youtu.be/q0IibRV5_KM

Dude, you have some Appalachian motherfuckin' genes, and I mean that in a very good way

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I would no question believe that guy buried some revenuers on Rocky Top

Must have been cool to have him as a grandfather, sorry for your loss friend :(

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

Power 5 champs that would have missed the 12-team field (per BCS/Committee rankings):

2020 - Oregon, Pac-12**********

I would have zero legitimate complaints about this given the nature of how that conference title happened. I’ll claim it, even if it never came with a playoff bid.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

General Dog posted:

Power 5 champs that would have missed the 12-team field (per BCS/Committee rankings):

1999 - Stanford, Pac-10
2000 - Purdue, Big Ten
2004 - Michigan, Big Ten
2005 - Florida State, ACC
2006 - Wake Forest, ACC :(
2010 - Virginia Tech, ACC
2012 - Wisconsin, Big Ten
2020 - Oregon, Pac-12**********

(Note that P5 conference champions basically never finish outside of the top 15 with the advent of the Playoff Committee)

That would have sucked in 2004 since Michigan beat Iowa on the field (I assume that would have been rectified if a playoff spot was on the line though).

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

Couldn't be happier.

UGA was up 14-0 in 2020 before Stetson got hurt. Then he played hurt and sucked, and then UGA had to go to D'wan Mathis. You never know.

that said,

1) 2020 Stetson wasn't actually any good; and
2) UGA's defense had zero answers for Florida's wheel routes

So yeah, Florida still probably would've won, but maybe it stays respectable. I dunno. Also, UGA has lost one (1) game since then, which, wow

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Apparently there is a hazing scandal that is about to break at Northwestern.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

So yeah, Florida still probably would've won, but maybe it stays respectable. I dunno. Also, UGA has lost one (1) game since then, which, wow

This Georgia program is the closest thing I've ever seen to the killer O-line Bama teams circa 2011. Just year-after-year of soul crushing rosters combined with capable coaching.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...v6my-story.html

quote:

UF on verge of losing top QB recruit Jaden Rashada as NIL deal collapses

Apparently the NIL deal was for $13mil, according to an unnamed insider source - so take that for what you will.

quote:

What is clear is that California high school star Rashada had been expected to enroll Monday after coming to Gainesville from Orlando following the Jan. 3 Under Armour Next All-America game at Camping World Stadium.

Instead, Rashada returned home to Pittsburg, a suburb of San Francisco, after a NIL agreement for around $13 million was not honored, a source told The Orlando Sentinel.

The source also said the situation is “beyond repair.”

The deal had persuaded Rashada to flip his commitment from Miami to Florida on Nov. 10 and attend the Gators’ 38-6 win against South Carolina on Nov. 12.

Wild stuff. Social media rumors are that a UF NIL group offered the $13mil but no one actually has the money to make good on it.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 12, 2023

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I call bullshit on the $13,000,000 rumor.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

LLCoolJD posted:

Ya, feels like an extra 0 was added.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kevin Warren is going to take the Chicago Bears president job for some reason

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LLCoolJD posted:

That inside source is his agent. No different than agents blowing smoke to Mike Florio during NFL free agency.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
If I’m spending $13M I’d reach out to Nick Saban. Worst case scenario Bama raises his salary to $20M or buys him another lake house.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
If $13mm is the ballpark of NIL deals for incoming freshmen then it's no wonder some players who'd be day 2 or 3 picks but are at premium positions (e.g. Nix, Penix) are coming back for another year, that's potentially more than most will make trying to play at the NFL level.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't imagine putting that kind of money onto the absolute crapshoot that is college recruiting.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

It’s also tough because the potential to create discord on a team of young folks. New guy gets a fat stack but I don’t? Peace. I know UGA uses NIL but the bigger pitch seems to be payday for year two rather than before you start. Not that we didn’t have guys where we need to incentivize now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I dunno. At this point a) I think Rashada and his family are probably going to be a problem doing everything they can to monetize even though he’s done jackshit in college and b) UF almost certainly bungled this as hard as possible trying to get an impact recruit because Napier billed himself as a talent acquisition and development guru.

Ultimately, whatever. I’ll put on my O&B stuff and strap in for the self-flagellation every Saturday, Graham Mertz under center.

Hard to feel good about the prospects of UF football for the next five years. Hopefully the baseball team shaped up well.

Sash! posted:

I can't imagine putting that kind of money onto the absolute crapshoot that is college recruiting.

Especially at QB.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I feel like it's premature to assume this is or would ever be the norm based on what may very well be an agent blowing smoke. Also

LeeMajors posted:

b) UF almost certainly bungled this as hard as possible

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

If the agent is telling the truth, the market will somewhat stabilize itself eventually because most elite QBs wash out and it’ll only take a bust or two for each school learn their lesson (I guess, I dunno, some schools are really dumb and rich people are good at burning money as a dickwaving maneuver).

For every Kyle Trask there are a dozen Feleipe Franks, Jeff Driskels, Emory Joneses. You get the picture.

poo poo, Rex Grossman recruited himself to Florida and unseated Jesse Palmer as RS Freshman, and Brock Berlin Superstar hardly saw the field.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

"Two million if you want me. I know what I got."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

"Two million if you want me. I know what I got."

He and John Brantley fully busted the BLUE CHIP MYSTIQUE for me. If I’d been a little older, it might’ve been Bobby Sabelhaus. Brock Berlin did ok at Miami so I don’t consider him a bust, even if Rex was way better.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdamSparks/status/1613228582574387203?s=20&t=835TPumCKQulrNEjcW4yZQ

enemies of Tennessee Athletics assemble!

(Kirby had UT 5 and Bama 6, for what it's worth)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
You ever seen a squirrel ride a bazooka rocket

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
You're going to see it a lot next year

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
So far USC is underperforming my NIL recruiting expectations, Texas and Miami are doing what I expected.

If USC is going to have a defense it may need to be built on transfer mercenaries.

https://twitter.com/on3sports/status/1613272461168070686

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
How will the NCAA adapt to this new era of NIL and athlete's rights? If you guessed "it will strenuously try to make it so it doesn't have to" congratulations!

quote:

No one ever said it’d be easy to work with Congress. But it may be the only way forward, according to Baylor president Linda Livingstone, who chairs the NCAA Board of Governors, the organization’s highest governing body.

Livingstone repeatedly said that the NCAA needs Congress to protect the categorization of athletes so that they cannot be classified as employees.

“We feel like there’s a great sense of urgency,” Livingstone said. “It’s related in some ways to some of the potential state laws that are out there that the state legislators are looking at. It’s related to some things that could be coming out of some of the federal agencies. So, we absolutely believe that it’s urgent, it’s essential and it’s something that we really need to lean into and make progress on in this legislative session.”

She characterized the threat the NCAA is facing as “imminent.”

“Several states are right now considering legislation that would mandate a vastly changed relationship between school and its students,” Livingstone said. “Congress is really the only entity that can affirm student-athletes’ unique status. We have to ensure that Congress understands what’s at stake and motivate them to act. Second, we need a safe harbor for a certain degree of antitrust complaints. We’re not looking for nor do we actually need broad antitrust exemption; we do need the ability to make common-sense rules without limitless threats of litigation.”

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

GD_American posted:

Dude, you have some Appalachian motherfuckin' genes, and I mean that in a very good way

Deep down that's what it's all about. Taking it hard tonight

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

JesustheDarkLord posted:

You ever seen a squirrel ride a bazooka rocket

if he catches it on a slant and it launches him sixty yards into the endzone, is it a touchdown or is that illegal motion

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

fast cars loose anus posted:

How will the NCAA adapt to this new era of NIL and athlete's rights? If you guessed "it will strenuously try to make it so it doesn't have to" congratulations!

With a scotus just dying to neuter them again in hilariously bipartisan fashion lol

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

So far USC is underperforming my NIL recruiting expectations, Texas and Miami are doing what I expected.

If USC is going to have a defense it may need to be built on transfer mercenaries.

https://twitter.com/on3sports/status/1613272461168070686

That and a new Defensive Coordinator.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SAJtDL/status/1613917023204958210?t=HePU0jAL2hY7SuTwy3l7Kg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

All I can say about bowl games is that it's sucked having VT miss them the last 2 years, and it was super cool for Tennessee to get an emphatic win on a big stage. So I like them, they aren't meaningless if you aren't in the playoff, but I can see how if you had a disappointing year each persons investment in their teams bowl trip will be subject to change and even disappointment or distaste (no one wants to go to shreeveport).