Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nonathlon posted:

The creators have said that they used multiple languages as a deliberate thing that recognised the European experience, of commonly knowing and using multiple languages and encountering people who don't speak your language.

Which I get and it was different and a bit interesting. But it was such a ridiculous obstacle to the story where characters have to translate or struggle to understand each other. And very often they just handwave away with "you know, the Polish labourer and the Japanese Geisha just sense what the other is talking about, just intuitively" to work around it. It just didn't add anything to the story.
I assumed this stuff was because the setting wasn't really supposed to make sense so that explanation by the creators actually makes me think I gave them too much credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh mate thanks for this; no one else had said anything and they're so so obnoxious. At one point the subtitles were insisting I was hearing [English] and it was blatantly just not.
The naming scheme doesn't make much sense, but I think the difference here is that one of them is the "original" subtitles for the Danish audio and the other one is subtitles for/a transcription of the English dub.
I actually used the second one because I wanted subs for all the text, and the default one didn't provide them for the parts where the characters spoke in actual English.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it’s a bit disorienting if the subs don’t agree with the dubbed English.

mystes
May 31, 2006

smackfu posted:

Yeah, it’s a bit disorienting if the subs don’t agree with the dubbed English.
Unfortunately this is the norm

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cats Don't Dance, a charming little animated musical about animal actors trying to make it in Hollywood, is free with ads on Youtube. If you haven't heard of it, it was buried when it came out because it was produced by Turner Animation, which was promptly dissolved in the Warner merger. Starring Jasmine Guy and Scott Bakula, songs by Randy Newman, and choreography assistance from Gene Kelly (his last project before he died). Also has one of the great villain/henchman teams.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Last of Us is useful because my gf is convinced the videogame series are like transcendent works of narrative fiction and wants nothing more than to watch me play them but I'm not much of a gamer and I didn't really enjoy the first hour or so (not really into games that try to ape the cinematic experience, more into indie/strategy I guess). Now i can just watch the show with her.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

stoked for the last of us even tho i played both games multiple times bc it is simply a good story i am excited to revisit. i'm curious to see what they'll do with the adaptation, and i think they can actually achieve greater narrative heights without making me, the player, fetch a ladder over and over for ellie bc "it's a video game and we need platforming" altho i'm sure there will be different concessions made bc "it's a tv show and we need cliffhangers"

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

has anyone seen that D.B. Cooper documentary on HBO? is it good or nah

I watched it this morning. Didn't expect revelations in the case or anything. But I'd still say skip it. I think it just annoyed me.

It tried to do that "out of timeline order" thing where they get you hooked, then do a backstop for evidence, then summarize, but steps 2&3 were kind of weak. The stock footage they'd show while voiceover was often bad. Like this lady is telling her story about her uncle pulling in and out of a driveway, so here's a 1970s home videos of cars in suburbia. Just weird like that.

Also lately I've been getting these "ick" feels from docs where people appear to be taken advantage of, be it mild mental illness, shut-ins, confused, etc and put on camera as entertainment. Just because they have a story doesn't mean you have to film their living conditions in such a way to imply they're struggling w/ something and perhaps unreliable. We get it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

stoked for the last of us even tho i played both games multiple times bc it is simply a good story i am excited to revisit. i'm curious to see what they'll do with the adaptation, and i think they can actually achieve greater narrative heights without making me, the player, fetch a ladder over and over for ellie bc "it's a video game and we need platforming" altho i'm sure there will be different concessions made bc "it's a tv show and we need cliffhangers"

The trailers seem to suggest that the season covers the first game’s full story which is awesome if true. One of my concerns was that they would try to drag it out. Though they may still do that with subsequent seasons to cover the time between part I and part II.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Starks posted:

The trailers seem to suggest that the season covers the first game’s full story which is awesome if true. One of my concerns was that they would try to drag it out. Though they may still do that with subsequent seasons to cover the time between part I and part II.

I've been getting the feeling from it that ends in Winter, probably with Boulder being the cliffhanger. Which would mean that season 2 gets padded a bit to finish with the end of the game. The DLC flashback gets its own episode, given how every showrunner loves putting a non-sequiter story as the penultimate episode anymore seems like a likely place for it.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 11, 2023

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

veni veni veni posted:

The hatchet wielding hitchhiker doc on Netflix is nuts. I remember the viral video but I didn’t know there was more to it

I just watched this last night and I appreciated this story wasn't turned into a limited series because the 1.5 hours was long enough. Far too often these stories are stretched into multiple episodes leaving things feel watered-down.

A solid choice for someone who wants an eerie documentary that isn't a multi-hour commitment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

precision posted:

Yes, I do in fact typically avoid adaptations of things that don't bring anything new.

In the case of a book, by definition a film or show brings something new: visuals

But in the case of TLOU, the game was already Hollywood movie quality both in audio and visuals, so unless the show makes some changes...

It's like that Gus Van Sant Psycho. He changed nothing, and as a result it was a pretty useless project

You know there are only 7 stories right?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Last of Us is useful because my gf is convinced the videogame series are like transcendent works of narrative fiction and wants nothing more than to watch me play them but I'm not much of a gamer and I didn't really enjoy the first hour or so (not really into games that try to ape the cinematic experience, more into indie/strategy I guess). Now i can just watch the show with her.

This is a tad much......

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mcmagic posted:

You should teach a Hollywood screenwriting class!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

put on I Love My Dad. all I can think is who greenlighted this thing lmao

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
House of Darkness on Hulu was terrible. The premise sounded not too dissimilar to Justin Long's other movie Barbarian, but nothing at all happens for the first 45 minutes except awkward flirting and taunting. Then more nothing happens for about a half hour, and then the thing that was obvious from the start happens and the movie ends.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Schrute Nation posted:

I just watched this last night and I appreciated this story wasn't turned into a limited series because the 1.5 hours was long enough. Far too often these stories are stretched into multiple episodes leaving things feel watered-down.

A solid choice for someone who wants an eerie documentary that isn't a multi-hour commitment.

Yeah I’m pretty much at the point that if I see a documentary that is under 2 hours I’ll just watch it. If it’s a miniseries I’ll watch it if I find the subject really interesting. If it’s drawn out into 8 hour long true crime thing I avoid like the plague.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mcmagic posted:

Bro, I'm absolutely not interested in this. I understand that you're here to have an argument but I'm not!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

precision posted:

Bro, I'm absolutely not interested in this. I understand that you're here to have an argument but I'm not!

you said there would be a point if tlou made some changes from the game. they are. shut up already.

also, "im not here to have a debate" is the stupidest response on these forums that i see thrown around all over the place. why post???

e: also, i did not buy your new title but it's hilarious except now people will think you're the dumbest meathead idiot on the planet when i have proudly held that title for a long time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nah, some people just want to start dumb arguments and it’s extremely pro posting to head that off

mystes
May 31, 2006

mcmagic posted:

The Hero's Parking Garage

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

A MIRACLE posted:

put on I Love My Dad. all I can think is who greenlighted this thing lmao

Lol I kept expecting a redemption arc and it never really comes

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
TLOU is really good but I legitimately believe that TLOU 2 is much better and a "transcendent work of narrative fiction".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t think it transcends anything but it is really good

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

does any other game make you play as the murderer of the franchise's beloved protagonist?

mgs2 kinda did a similar bait and switch thing years ago and that was one of the coolest gaming experiences ever. mgs rules pls rerelease on ps5 sony/konami

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

ShoogaSlim posted:

does any other game make you play as the murderer of the franchise's beloved protagonist?

There is still a very active subreddit devoted to hating and crying about TLOU2, a near three-year-old game, which is very funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rental Sting posted:

TLOU is really good but I legitimately believe that TLOU 2 is much better and a "transcendent work of narrative fiction".

I think they're both just about perfect but it's really insane how good 2 was at making me care for people I thought I hated

2 is also much better as a game of course

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Rental Sting posted:

There is still a very active subreddit devoted to hating and crying about TLOU2, a near three-year-old game, which is very funny.

i foolishly checked out some of the posts on that sub when the game first came out. it's one of the most bizarre displays of emotional rage i've ever been witness to. it's frighteningly misguided and stupid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShoogaSlim posted:

i foolishly checked out some of the posts on that sub when the game first came out. it's one of the most bizarre displays of emotional rage i've ever been witness to. it's frighteningly misguided and stupid.

Gamers ruin games

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

I found it while trying to better understand some plot points from the games and was extremely confused until somebody pointed me to the correct sub lol

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’ve played TLOU 1 and own 2 but never played it because I haven’t finished the DLC that takes place between the two. Hopefully the show will not spoil that for me so I can continue putting it off.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Boxman posted:

Cats Don't Dance, a charming little animated musical about animal actors trying to make it in Hollywood, is free with ads on Youtube. If you haven't heard of it, it was buried when it came out because it was produced by Turner Animation, which was promptly dissolved in the Warner merger. Starring Jasmine Guy and Scott Bakula, songs by Randy Newman, and choreography assistance from Gene Kelly (his last project before he died). Also has one of the great villain/henchman teams.

I had this on VHS!

Also remember it airing a few times on Cartoon Network (bc turner ofc)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

pumped up for school posted:

I watched it this morning. Didn't expect revelations in the case or anything. But I'd still say skip it. I think it just annoyed me.

It tried to do that "out of timeline order" thing where they get you hooked, then do a backstop for evidence, then summarize, but steps 2&3 were kind of weak. The stock footage they'd show while voiceover was often bad. Like this lady is telling her story about her uncle pulling in and out of a driveway, so here's a 1970s home videos of cars in suburbia. Just weird like that.

Also lately I've been getting these "ick" feels from docs where people appear to be taken advantage of, be it mild mental illness, shut-ins, confused, etc and put on camera as entertainment. Just because they have a story doesn't mean you have to film their living conditions in such a way to imply they're struggling w/ something and perhaps unreliable. We get it.

You'll love tcl and Discovery

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

loudog999 posted:

I’ve played TLOU 1 and own 2 but never played it because I haven’t finished the DLC that takes place between the two. Hopefully the show will not spoil that for me so I can continue putting it off.

TLOU only has one DLC and it takes place before the start of the first game.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Upsidads posted:

You'll love tcl and Discovery

I didn't think about it at the time, but very much like a low-grade dose of those cable shows.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

TLOU only has one DLC and it takes place before the start of the first game.

Dang, I had no idea, I thought it happened after the first game. I must have been confused because I was told that I should play it before 2 at some point. I guess I don’t have an excuse for not playing 2 now.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Dang, I had no idea, I thought it happened after the first game. I must have been confused because I was told that I should play it before 2 at some point. I guess I don’t have an excuse for not playing 2 now.

you should probably only play it before 2 because it will give you some backstory on the characters of 1 before overwhelming you with more stuff that happens in 2. and also because the mechanics of 2 are far better and more fluid than anything in 1 or the DLC and it will suck to go back to that after experiencing 2.

plus the DLC is only like an hour or two maybe?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Late to the topic - but The Walking Dead was bad for many years, but after Rick left the show - it became great.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Pillowpants posted:

Late to the topic - but The Walking Dead was bad for many years, but after Rick left the show - it became great.

I only saw the first season and was like "their lives are hell, everyone who stayed behind to explode are the smart ones" and apparently the show has been an endless cascade of misery since lol

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

I only saw the first season and was like "their lives are hell, everyone who stayed behind to explode are the smart ones" and apparently the show has been an endless cascade of misery since lol

It’s true to the comics in that sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I enjoyed Willow more than Wheel or Time the Rings of Power or any other fantasy I've had to slog through lately. It's at the very least as good as Wednesday if not better.

If it's renewed ideally we will get more Brownies and less of Madmartigan's terrible, terrible children.