Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only thing that will turn my tank stance off in rando content is the cold embrace of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
standing shoulder to shoulder with the second tank in 8 man roulettes and pumping as much damage as possible to see who is the dominant Tank, glam

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

The only thing that will turn my tank stance off in rando content is the cold embrace of death.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shinjobi posted:

An Olympic sized swimming pool of my blood can be found in Dun Scaith

Personally mine is all over Ozma's platform in Weeping City, I haven't had much problem with Dun Scaith.

Most recently, I was in the middle of the reviving animation when it did the whole "eat and teleport you" mechanic, leaving me alone. So I jumped into the visual effect it sucks you into. And spawned in the submap dead.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

After a month straight of Dun Scaiths, I didn't see a single wipe. Deathgaze was only killing 2-3 people in most runs and sometimes not even that many. Diabolos on the other hand still turns into chaos when people put the gaze stacks in bad places, run a ball into the crowd, or run into the red orbs

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that's because people were grinding it for tomes, give it a month or so and everyone will forget how deathgaze works again and it'll be carnage all over again

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I still laugh every time I see a sprout sprint off into the distance while carrying the stack+gaze marker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I still laugh every time I see a sprout sprint off into the distance while carrying the stack+gaze marker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yi_W4FpG8 in case you haven't seen it.

(since this is the newbie thread, uses a boss/arena from Heavensward and some Stormblood locations as settings but there's no context. Just spoiling for the safe side if folks want to be completely blind).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Doomykins posted:

standing shoulder to shoulder with the second tank in 8 man roulettes and pumping as much damage as possible to see who is the dominant Tank, glam

I'm convinced this is what the HW PLD quests are about

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

After a month straight of Dun Scaiths, I didn't see a single wipe. Deathgaze was only killing 2-3 people in most runs and sometimes not even that many. Diabolos on the other hand still turns into chaos when people put the gaze stacks in bad places, run a ball into the crowd, or run into the red orbs

Plus the non-tanks who think they're helping when they run into the center meteor circle. (Only tanks can catch that one, everyone else who tries it dies instantly.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Selachian posted:

Plus the non-tanks who think they're helping when they run into the center meteor circle. (Only tanks can catch that one, everyone else who tries it dies instantly.)

Not true! I saw a reaper survive it once. Probably with some healer shielding. He probably saved us from a wipe that run because no one else was in the center meteor circle.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dareon posted:

Personally mine is all over Ozma's platform in Weeping City, I haven't had much problem with Dun Scaith.

Most recently, I was in the middle of the reviving animation when it did the whole "eat and teleport you" mechanic, leaving me alone. So I jumped into the visual effect it sucks you into. And spawned in the submap dead.

I still cannot for the life of me remember any of Ozma's mechanics

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Relyssa posted:

I still cannot for the life of me remember any of Ozma's mechanics

Triangle get out of the middle, square go in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, we're all in agreement that the final boss of 6.3 for those of us not doing endgame raiding is the loving pinecones, right?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

the what?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I assume it's some gathering thing?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Might be the new Leap of Faith course? I've only done it once, but I didn't have any trouble myself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Veotax posted:

Might be the new Leap of Faith course? I've only done it once, but I didn't have any trouble myself.
It’s this. The pinecones have slanted hit boxes so you get to deal with XIV’s janky slope platforming while trying to jump onto small platforms.

The rest of you, come to the Gold Saucer at XX:40 if you want an rear end kicking. (The GATE is guaranteed to be the new LoF map every X:40 for the next couple days.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

girl dick energy posted:

It’s this. The pinecones have slanted hit boxes so you get to deal with XIV’s janky slope platforming while trying to jump onto small platforms.

The rest of you, come to the Gold Saucer at XX:40 if you want an rear end kicking. (The GATE is guaranteed to be the new LoF map every X:40 for the next couple days.)

IF it's Leap of Faith it's Sylphstep. It can also be Slice is Right or Air Force One.

quote:

Every hour, on the hour (Earth Time)
Air Force One
Cliffhanger
Leap of Faith (The Falling City of Nym)
Hourly, 20 minutes past the hour (Earth Time)
Any Way the Wind Blows
The Slice Is Right
Leap of Faith (The Fall of Belah'dia)
Hourly, 40 minutes past the hour (Earth Time)
The Slice Is Right
Air Force One
Leap of Faith (Sylphstep)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Regy Rusty posted:

Just trust your healer. Nothing matters but the last HP

something I miss about being PLD

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Bruceski posted:

IF it's Leap of Faith it's Sylphstep. It can also be Slice is Right or Air Force One.

they gotta take out an air force one at 00 or 40, it shows up too dang much. give us another any way the wind blows.

i am never getting that achievement for completing x number of awwb

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Just trust your healer. Nothing matters but the last HP

I wish my healers would check buffs so I don't keep wasting my Living Dead :eng99:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

parasyte posted:

i am never getting that achievement for completing x number of awwb

I only got it once and that was because I AFKed in the right spot on sheer luck.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
6.3 made some changes to the paladin skill rotation and now my memorized button sequences are WRONG and buttons light up at the WRONG TIME and I spent about ten minutes last night going WHAT DO?? HOW WORK?? PUSH NEXT WHAT??

i am a very fragile mmorpger

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

something I miss about being PLD

You can still do this because Clemency still exists, you just can't make it insta anymore.

Picayune posted:

6.3 made some changes to the paladin skill rotation and now my memorized button sequences are WRONG and buttons light up at the WRONG TIME and I spent about ten minutes last night going WHAT DO?? HOW WORK?? PUSH NEXT WHAT??

i am a very fragile mmorpger

Big mood, trying to do the latest EX while relearning my rotation has been a real trial by fire.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
so I have some maps

what do I need to do to get maps groups going and do I need a group at all

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Depends on the maps, are they ones that have a chance to leading to one of the maps dungeons? If so just post a PF (or on the discord if you’re on Primal)

Otherwise you can probably just do them yourself I think

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

so I have some maps

what do I need to do to get maps groups going and do I need a group at all

Each expansion (aside from ARR, which has a weird multi-tier system) has two different types of maps: solo maps and full party (8 person) maps, with the recommended number being at the bottom of the map's description. Solo maps can be easily completed by yourself, although generally only materials from past maps (especially Gliderskin maps from ShB due several mats being used in popular glams) actually sell well. 8 person maps from the current expansion do require a full party. You can use the Party Finder to either create your own party, or join an existing party.

The only thing to take note of otherwise is the looting rules, which vary between data centers and individual parties a lot. On Aether, for example, map parties generally do Need rolls for anything that drops from standard chests for whoever the owner of the map is, and then have anything in the portal be free game for anyone to roll on. This is generally done to discourage people who join with no maps of their own and just try to leech from other peoples' chests, but preferences vary, so it's good to check with whoever's running the PF what their rules are, or specify it in your description if you're starting a party up.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Specifically, check if they say "8 players recommended" on them. You don't actually need 8, just 4 competent players are more than enough, but don't try those alone. Even for earlier expansions, the dungeon that spawns will level sync you.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If it's the crafting materials you're after, I believe they changed it so that they can also spawn in the single-player treasure chests for older expansions. The glamor items you can craft with those sell for quite a lot, as do the materials themselves.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Yup, the single-player versions of the maps can still be reasonably profitable!

Also with ARR maps, the ones that suggest 8 players won't plunk you into a synced dungeon, they'll just barf out really nasty monsters. If you're over level 50 you can beat them down easily. Even those level 50 range ARR maps can have surprisingly profitable things within them, a nice fact if you're still getting your gatherers levelled.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Note that if you're hunting for more maps, there's an 18(?) hour cooldown after harvesting a map before you can pick up another. You can see the remaining time in your timers menu (ctrl+u).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There's a level 50 "8 person" map that, since it only has overworld enemies and no dungeon portal, is easily solo-able at 90. It has a low, but not unreasonably low, chance of dropping a few materials that are worth a lot more than the map. Not bad as far as gambling goes.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

I think the best treasure maps for soloing are the level 80 gliderskin ones, they drop shell leather which sells for 300-400K.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

On that note, if you're looking to make a quick buck the new maps are selling for 150k a piece last I checked (Excalibur), and usually within a few minutes of going on the market.

Batui posted:

I think the best treasure maps for soloing are the level 80 gliderskin ones, they drop shell leather which sells for 300-400K.

The leather also turns into some of the most desirable glamor items in the game if you're willing to spend the time farming them. The coats go for upwards of 1.6 million each.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 12, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, either I'm incredibly faceblind, or the guy who's been giving me all my Paladin missions just attacked me for doing my paladin missions?

Fake e: Okay, apparently he was lied to, and this was enough to get him to drag half a dozen of his friends out to the desert to beat me up, and all it takes to get him back on my side is the guy he thought was lying to him telling him he was lied to? What even is this questline?

e: "How dare you use our arts against us?" My brother in Nald'Thal, you taught them to me.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 15, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The key to completing the Paladin quests is to just silently nod and/or punch your palm and go along with whatever they say.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dareon posted:

Okay, either I'm incredibly faceblind, or the guy who's been giving me all my Paladin missions just attacked me for doing my paladin missions?

Fake e: Okay, apparently he was lied to, and this was enough to get him to drag half a dozen of his friends out to the desert to beat me up, and all it takes to get him back on my side is the guy he thought was lying to him telling him he was lied to? What even is this questline?

Jenlyns is an extremely stupid man and the WoL is kinda just along for the ride

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dareon posted:

What even is this questline?

A question everyone who levels Paladin finds themselves asking eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kind of want to level Paladin just to experience the questline for myself.