Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

kiimo posted:

Bryce Young over Will Anderson is basically clickbait

I like the sneaking Anthony Richardson in at the very end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
So who's the biggest meat unit this year? I'm talking an absolute behemoth of OL/DL. I do not care if they're actually good.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Nervous posted:

So who's the biggest meat unit this year? I'm talking an absolute behemoth of OL/DL. I do not care if they're actually good.

Ohio State OT Dawand Jones is 6'8, 360 pounds

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

ShakeZula posted:

Ohio State OT Dawand Jones is 6'8, 360 pounds

Thank you, he's beautiful. Just look at him.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:sickos:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

At 360 pounds I'm wondering how he does against faster rushers.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I want the Cardinals to draft him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nervous posted:

Thank you, he's beautiful. Just look at him.

Something about the way he stands makes me feel like he’ll be saying “and I’ll be waiting for you out in the parking lot” in an Adam Sandler movie

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So as a total bandwagoner/longtime super-casual follower, I'm a bit curious: who would the Bills even try to draft this year? I notice they've only got two QBs on the normal roster; is picking up a rookie for third-string development on the cards, maybe? It seems like the team is pretty good on everything else, but I'm not sure what their retirement situation looks like.

I'm curious about the Bengals, too. They're already running a bit heavy with newbies this year but only have two main QBs, if I read the roster right. Is there going to be a little horse-trading or knife-fighting over QBs further down the draft list this year?

Mostly I'm just curious about the priorities for a winning team in the draft since I never talked much with Dad about it back in the day, so if this is a dumb question, please feel free to say so. :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2 QBs is very normal and even if you don't draft someone there's usually a journeyman available on the free agent market to bring in as your 2nd or 3rd.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

So as a total bandwagoner/longtime super-casual follower, I'm a bit curious: who would the Bills even try to draft this year? I notice they've only got two QBs on the normal roster; is picking up a rookie for third-string development on the cards, maybe? It seems like the team is pretty good on everything else, but I'm not sure what their retirement situation looks like.

I'm curious about the Bengals, too. They're already running a bit heavy with newbies this year but only have two main QBs, if I read the roster right. Is there going to be a little horse-trading or knife-fighting over QBs further down the draft list this year?

Mostly I'm just curious about the priorities for a winning team in the draft since I never talked much with Dad about it back in the day, so if this is a dumb question, please feel free to say so. :v:

You kinda want to have a 3rd qb if for nothing else just an extra arm camp and practice and on the off chance everyone goes down in one game but I doubt any of those teams look at a qb before latish on the 3rd day.

Depends on team philosophy in the front office too. They might feel that signing someone as a udfa or off a practice squad to be the 3rd qb is a better option and using that pick on some kind of small school prospect or some kind of athlete you can develop into something.

I've always liked the idea of getting someone young just in case you fall rear end backwards into the next Dak Prescott or Brock Purdy.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

SKULL.GIF posted:

At 360 pounds I'm wondering how he does against faster rushers.

He’ll struggle with some pure speed guys but he’s a pretty high end RT prospect. He was a high school Mr Basketball at 400 and has good feet. Bigger issue is pad level when turning, but he’s not as raw in pass as like Faalele.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BlindSite posted:

Depends on team philosophy in the front office too. ... I've always liked the idea of getting someone young just in case you fall rear end backwards into the next Dak Prescott or Brock Purdy.

The Ron Wolf Packers did this. Wolf would draft a QB or sign an UDFA QB virtually every year and develop them in case they were actually good, and otherwise turn them into picks. Mark Brunell, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Doug Pederson are some names you might recognize.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Ron Wolf Packers did this. Wolf would draft a QB or sign an UDFA QB virtually every year and develop them in case they were actually good, and otherwise turn them into picks. Mark Brunell, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Doug Pederson are some names you might recognize.

Yeah I'm a fan. I like it a lot when you draft a guy high to take someone in the late rounds as well like Washington did when they took RG3 and Kirk in the same draft. It's like when everyone blew up in the Panthers fan base when we took a dude in the 3rd and still had Cam but the front office was pretty quick to point out the team hadn't drafted a QB in a long, long time.

I think it's always worth taking a shot. The last three rounds are something stupid low in terms of panning out - might as well kick the tyres on a QB.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Alternatively you could have one of the worst GMs in modern history following the same philosophy as Ron Wolf and his 4 year haul on drafted QBs was:

Bryce Petty (4th round)
Christian Hackenberg (2nd round)
Sam Darnold (1st round + multiple 2nd rounders)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

He’ll struggle with some pure speed guys but he’s a pretty high end RT prospect. He was a high school Mr Basketball at 400 and has good feet. Bigger issue is pad level when turning, but he’s not as raw in pass as like Faalele.

I love him

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

Alternatively you could have one of the worst GMs in modern history following the same philosophy as Ron Wolf and his 4 year haul on drafted QBs was:

Bryce Petty (4th round)
Christian Hackenberg (2nd round)
Sam Darnold (1st round + multiple 2nd rounders)

Also a good point.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Well that would make things intersting

https://twitter.com/JaredNFLDraft/status/1613914251344900096

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Poor Texans will end up having to take Will Levis second overall.

I know that watching TCU get annihilated in the championship game really highlighted just how close OSU was to winning the whole thing this year, and I can imagine that plus losing twice to Michigan might be enough to sway him to try one more time.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

He’s QB1 next year if he goes then too and may actually have more distance from Caleb and Drake than he does from Bryce, agnostic of size concerns. Caleb, despite being a more gifted athlete, still can’t get through reads quickly enough to run typical dropback sfuff and just freelances until his receivers sit down. Lots of tools, but he’s not showing me the anticipation and timing throws that we got out of Kyler or Baker in that offense yet. Drake Maye is cool but has to prove he can function in a non-Fisher Price offense with multiple personnel groupings and more than like 12 concepts. Howell looked worse every consecutive year there, maybe getting Longo out will help.

Whoever was asking about Levis #1 odds, not a bad hedge right now

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

TheGreyGhost posted:

Whoever was asking about Levis #1 odds, not a bad hedge right now

Yeah I’d be elated if he stayed. I got it at 10:1 which is nice, even though I missed out on it hitting 20:1 a bit later. Down to 9:1 now. I only threw $10 on it so whatever, but it would be huge for my buddy who put $50 on it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Who's going to be more convincing an Agent telling him about the millions he's going to make if he leaves and the injury risk if he stays or his college coaches.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
There's no way Stroud goes back at all

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I dunno, i'd be okay with Michigan beating him again by 3+ touchdowns in the Big House.

I just feel like there's too much risk in returning for another year for him. He's almost certainly going to be a top 5 pick. If not the first pick, if someone really likes him over Bryce Young and trades with the Bears.

Going back, Ohio State could lose 2-3 games and he could get injured. Who the hell knows. Dude's gonna get picked in the top 5. That's a lot of money to turn down in the hopes that everything goes right for the 2023 season and he can improve upon his draft standing.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah signing bonus for a top 5 pick is at least $20mil, no way they can get that kind of NIL together unless they want to have none left for anybody else

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So I know its unlikely but if you were Stroud or Young or Levis would you refuse to play for the texans Eli style?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BlindSite posted:

So I know its unlikely but if you were Stroud or Young or Levis would you refuse to play for the texans Eli style?

The team that hires a new head coach every 15 months? Can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to go there!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gonz posted:

The team that hires a new head coach every 15 months? Can't imagine why anybody wouldn't want to go there!

I was just thinking out loud. Everyone would think "yeesh I wouldn't come out staring at the texans either" but there's always that option to do an Eli and just say "i will not sign for that team".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

BlindSite posted:

I was just thinking out loud. Everyone would think "yeesh I wouldn't come out staring at the texans either" but there's always that option to do an Eli and just say "i will not sign for that team".

It's definitely possible. Probable, even. They're just below the Bears in terms of "Teams that people should never want to play for", especially the last couple seasons. I think that once the combine happens and the draft picture becomes clearer, certain players might stand out and move up the prospects board and realize "Holy poo poo, the Texans might draft me? Uhhhh....tell them i'm gonna be in Madagascar getting a root canal surgery on draft day."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Stroud has enough juice to pull something like that, too. He's not some projected 2nd or 4th round pick.

If he sees that the Texans might draft him at 2, I wouldn't blame him at all for telling his agent to pull an Eli/Elway and tell them to move back a few spots with somebody else. And there'll be people who would jump at making such a trade, too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's beyond stupid if he stays.

Like, someone needs to talk him out of that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

none of the teams are worth avoiding as a top pick. get on out there and succeed just like joey and trevor

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also depending on who the Bears trade to you might get really lucky and go #1 to an actual good team.

Like what if you decide to stay and then, I dunno, the Bucs trade up to 1. Then you snap your achilles in OSU's home opener.

Don't be a fool.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

BlindSite posted:

Who's going to be more convincing an Agent telling him about the millions he's going to make if he leaves and the injury risk if he stays or his college coaches.

I think the idea is he gets an NIL deal that’s good enough and also insurance

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gonz posted:

It's definitely possible. Probable, even.

I don’t think it’s probably at all. Only one guy has ever pulled an Eli, and that’s Eli. Stroud isn’t an Eli and probably doesn’t have his family screaming in his ear to make an ordeal out of it.

The Texans went to the divisional round just a few years ago. They aren’t that far removed from being a decent team, and nobody knows who their next coach will be but they could turn around very quickly with the right hire given how bad the AFC South is right now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Big Jesus posted:

I think the idea is he gets an NIL deal that’s good enough and also insurance

If NIL deals are higher than NFL contracts I'm going to rethink the future of college football

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/jaimeeisner/status/1613984801668665348?s=46&t=JUzDsKQHPPEnyXFjM6p6qA

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dare I dream? Dare I hope? Levis 1, Young 2, and then the dreamy Stroud falls to Seattle at 5??

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Stroud is a jesus freak. He's probably mad they fired Easterby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Dare I dream? Dare I hope? Levis 1, Young 2, and then the dreamy Stroud falls to Seattle at 5??

The odds changed based on the speculation that Stroud might return to OSU.