Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Oh God, Nick Fuentes is from Illinois. Can you imagine how his parents feel?
"Say was that your boy on the internet talking about being a virgin?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

IIRC, he's from La Grange Park. I also remember reading a Patch article where his parents (or at least his mother) shared similar beliefs so the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FreeLarryLigas/status/1598323890417274881?s=20&t=sfzXQnObDvMZn1KP5XoU3g

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fuentes is probably Lyons Township High School’s 3rd most famous alum behind David Hasselhoff and Jeff Hornacek. We did have somebody run for a US Rep seat in Maryland last month, but she lost.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/IllinoisReview/status/1597689298719064064

Lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

OMG, did they expect to win?! :roflolmao:

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

This brings me true joy.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

quote:

With 98 percent reporting, Pritzker maintains a 12-point margin of victory over Bailey.

A complete blow-out, and Republicans statewide lost just about everywhere.

I was watching this from Wisconsin, and not terribly closely - was Bailey playing to the MAGA crowd?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I was watching this from Wisconsin, and not terribly closely - was Bailey playing to the MAGA crowd?

Yes, I don't know why they thought that was going to work here.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oh god yeah. He made his name by protesting anti-covid measures and vaccinations. Basically an anti-lockdown dude who thought it'd be his key to the mansion.

He teamed up with a local chudge to get some restrictions declared illegal.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Big Black Dick posted:

This brings me true joy.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Bailey’s attempt to garner more votes was to hit up local restaurants in strip malls and then to also tell people it’s important to vote Republican just an hour after someone shot up a Fourth of July parade. It is absolutely no surprise that he lost.

Also just straight up rock-hard over some super-chuddy company losing $50,000,000 to support the human version of the gopher from Caddyshack.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

also tell people it’s important to vote Republican just an hour after someone shot up a Fourth of July parade

It was so much worse than that. He said people should "move on" while the shooter was still at large.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My only regret is he didn't lose more money. Was so happy to see all their racist bullshit get thrown in the trash on election day.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

was Bailey playing to the MAGA crowd?

He doesn't play to the MAGA crowd, he's part of it. And he thinks it's 100% all real. :laffo:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Big Black Dick posted:

It was so much worse than that. He said people should "move on" while the shooter was still at large.

He had all the downstate crazies in his pocket and his moves before the election were to try and get the suburbs but he immediately hosed up with that.

Some people were worried about Bailey but I knew he was done the second he did that.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

He had all the downstate crazies in his pocket and his moves before the election were to try and get the suburbs but he immediately hosed up with that.

Some people were worried about Bailey but I knew he was done the second he did that.

Leaning into the loud identity politics is not how you win NIMBY regions. Bailey is a uniquely stupid politician. He would regularly get clowned on by ISU Dems. If campus democrats are making an elected official look bad, that official probably isn't headed to the Governor's Mansion.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/2022-population-estimates.html

1 New York 20,201,230 19,857,492 19,677,151 -180,341
2 California 39,538,245 39,142,991 39,029,342 -113,649
3 Illinois 12,812,545 12,686,469 12,582,032 -104,437

Going to need to redistrict some more eventually. Unless they revise it again.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

KDdidit posted:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/2022-population-estimates.html

1 New York 20,201,230 19,857,492 19,677,151 -180,341
2 California 39,538,245 39,142,991 39,029,342 -113,649
3 Illinois 12,812,545 12,686,469 12,582,032 -104,437

Going to need to redistrict some more eventually. Unless they revise it again.

Nobody's changing poo poo until the next census, assuming we still have a functioning government by then.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Illinois passed the assault weapons ban, abortion protections and LGBTQ protections.

A bunch of Republicans said that they will not follow or enforce the ban with Darren Bailey essentially saying that he be willing to shoot it out.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Illinois passed the assault weapons ban, abortion protections and LGBTQ protections.

A bunch of Republicans said that they will not follow or enforce the ban with Darren Bailey essentially saying that he be willing to shoot it out.

I saw something about a ban somewhere but I have no idea what the specifics of it are.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What are the specifics on the LGBTQ protections? I can't find anything about a new bill on that with a quick Google search.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
My students tomorrow will be howling with rage about this without actually understanding they can keep their rifles they already have.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Here is the assault weapons ban

https://capitolfax.com/2023/01/10/pritzker-to-sign-the-assault-weapons-ban-tonight-at-6/

Here is the LGBTQ protections:

https://capitolfax.com/2023/01/10/a..._medium=twitter

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
My mom is getting a gun and concealed carry permit tomorrow. I am not thrilled.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hmm, didn't see the text of the bill there. Although there is a LOT going on in the sidebars, it's possible I missed it.

Not sure I'm in the mood to read a legal document tonight anyway . . . I'm sure someone will come up with a concise list within a few days that explains what's in, what's out, and what requires registration to keep.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1612984947903545350

passed the senate too. apparently chicago already has something like this so this won't change anything for us

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1612984947903545350

passed the senate too. apparently chicago already has something like this so this won't change anything for us

I am once again horrified that that wasn't already below some vague minimum :stonk:

I mean, intellectually, I KNOW that the minimum is "zero" but . . . drat. Still weird to see it spelled out like that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The rule of law only applies to you if you don't own any assault firearms, after all.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/...ingawful.com%2F

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lori Lightfoot, confirming posted:

I have the biggest dick in the city

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

A bunch of sheriff’s today put out the exact same statement saying they believe that the Protect Communities Act is unconstitutional so they are not going to enforce it.

Thomas Devore is also going to sue over it. It does not go into affect for a year (the registration aspect I believe) so the courts will be able to rule on it before the personal aspect goes into affect.

But I am glad to know that I can just say “I think a law is unconstitutional” and I will be let go. Also, I am guessing that these sheriff’s will release all their prisoners since those people feel like their constitutional rights have been violated.

Edit: I just realized that these are the same people who were saying a month ago that they could not do their jobs if they could not put poor people in jail for not affording bail.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 12, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The funny part to me is that it would have been very easy for them to just quietly not do the thing they didn't want to do, and many of them probably would have gotten away with it for a while.

But instead they shouted from the rooftops their intent to not do the thing, because stoking culture war bullshit is the actual goal here.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

The funny part to me is that it would have been very easy for them to just quietly not do the thing they didn't want to do, and many of them probably would have gotten away with it for a while.

But instead they shouted from the rooftops their intent to not do the thing, because stoking culture war bullshit is the actual goal here.

It's the timing too. Like anyone can have a bad moment where they are loud idiot in a room, but blatantly refusing to do your government job due to political spectrum is something else.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/byaliceyin/status/1629514010344210432

:/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Vallus promises to both fix the finances and give more money to cops.
This is good because.....
Well people keep saying crime

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Vallas might end up with the most votes in the primary, but I have a feeling all the non-Vallas voters will coalesce around his opposition in the general. Just a hunch and I could be wrong, I just feel like most people don’t like him, they’re just dividing their votes behind the other candidates. :shrug:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

Vallus promises to both fix the finances and give more money to cops.
This is good because.....
Well people keep saying crime

Maybe if you give the cops more money they'll stop doing crimes.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Vallas might end up with the most votes in the primary, but I have a feeling all the non-Vallas voters will coalesce around his opposition in the general. Just a hunch and I could be wrong, I just feel like most people don’t like him, they’re just dividing their votes behind the other candidates. :shrug:

Very possible, but there's still a (slim? who knows) possibility that Lightfoot might eke out a 2nd place some how, which could absolutely lead to him winning.

There's also that Vallas will very very likely get a clear first place, but with mail-ins etc, it may not be clear who his competitor is till mid-March which will give him two whole weeks of a headstart and gently caress 2nd's fundraising, campaigning, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

He is stepping on rakes left and right but Lightfoot getting second would be his great chance.