Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.

How was Freelancer in that regard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Rinkles posted:

Mile wide, puddle deep.

John Murdoch posted:

Something full 3D with action and open world elements (or really just any kind of tangible exploration, doesn't have to be a full blown Ubisoft iconfest), but without relying on the same repeated sandbox formula where you toil away space trucking between generic space stations so you can afford to make numbers go up a tiny bit and exploration takes the form of "sometimes you see a pretty skybox". Like I want to zip my little ship inbetween the wreckage of some huge gently caress-off dreadnought to retrieve some cool bespoke weapon, then when pirates inevitably ambush me I can use the terrain to my advantage. It's probably going to sound dumb as hell, but basically the same kind of well-rounded experience as something like the Arkham games or Tomb Raider or something but you just happen to be in a spaceship. Explore/sneak/fight, find collectibles or upgrades, mild RPG elements instead of insanely meticulous and granular ship customization.

Or to say it in a different, snarky way the absolute complete opposite of Elite Dangerous.
You've played Descent Freespace 1 & 2, right? If not, that's what you want.

EDIT: Actually if you're not deadset on full 3D, Space Rangers HD is incredible. For something older that's more adventure/RPG focused, Planet's Edge (get it on GOG though).

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 12, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

Everspace 2 is a lot like this IMO.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

zoux posted:

Wildlands is a really fun shooter where you can set up all kinds of fun ambushes and action set pieces and 100 kill stealth ops. The squad mechanics are great, the map is huge, the weapons are essentially aesthetic so it’s about maneuver and finesse. Breakpoint is a loving disaster of a game where they took what was a cult favorite and tried to turn it into a looter shooter and ended having to retroactively invent something resembling the mechanics of the first one but didn’t quite get there. Not to mention bullet sponge drones loving everywhere and changing the player character from a nameless cypher into a somehow even broodier Marcus Fenix. They laid out a lot of cash to get John Berenthal to mocap the villain so every cutscene is these two dudes growling and grimacing at each other.

Then a year ago they announce GR: Frontline and now it’s a multiplayer battle royale and the fan base went into a berserker rage and the backlash was so vitriolic they had to apologize, announce they were rethinking the direction of the game, and they ended up canceling the game six months later.

How does Wildlands compare to MGSV in terms of a "military doing missions in an open world"? I dont mean so much the weird anime naked girls that cant talk because bugs will eat their throat poo poo, I mean all of the cool "trained pet dogs and airdropping supplies and calling backup" stuff

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

That's pretty much exactly Everspace 2

But you may well just be bored of the genre :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wish Rebel Galaxy hadn't branched off into the Freelancer direction and just made another game like the first but even more like Sid Meier's Pirates! in Space. Instead of swordfights its barroom brawls, instead of ballroom dancing it's karaoke night

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cowcaster posted:

it's straight up not what you're looking for, but i'd stick it on your wishlist for a steam sale someplace: ace combat 7 is like starfox with a bit of a progression mechanic over a campaign and it's something that really hit me good and you might like it

edit: sorry, i posted that weird, as someone who didn't like mission based campaign dogfighters up until that point, ace combat 7 hit me just right, is where that's coming from. but yeah, wait for a deep steam sale before you give it a shot

Nah you're good, I saw the pre-edit version and I got what you meant. Ace Combat's actually been living on my wishlist for a while now. It's kinda in the same ballpark as EDF, with the stupid and fun and stupid fun.

It's not really what I'm looking for in this case, but it does speak to one of my frustrations in that every space game seems to want to be dour, realistic, or both. With maybe an exception for like, No Man's Sky, but that game's well off the table. We need more games designed with the sensibility of a 10 year old.

Rinkles posted:

Is...is Freelancer not cut from the same cloth as the rest? Have I been horribly misinformed this entire time (and/or been conflating it with Privateer et al)? :psyduck:

The Joe Man posted:

You've played Descent Freespace 1 & 2, right? If not, that's what you want.

EDIT: Actually if you're not deadset on full 3D, Space Rangers HD is incredible. For something older that's more adventure/RPG focused, Planet's Edge (get it on GOG though).

Is it? I'm under the impression Freespace is yet another mission-based fighter sim kind of thing. No exploration.

Space Rangers is the exact kind of sandbox I don't like, albeit cracked out and weirder than the usual fare and with a few side modes of play. Never even heard of Planet's Edge before but it seems a bit intriguing on account of having Star Trek away mission dungeon crawl stuff but ultimately I want the immersion factor of 3D.

RandomBlue posted:

Everspace 2 is a lot like this IMO.

It's definitely on my radar, but I'm slightly worried because half of what it's supposed to be sounds loving amazing and almost too good to be true, and then the other half is the same space economy sim stuff I can't stand. And somewhere in the middle the loot/ship customization reads like it might be a bit too fiddly for my liking.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/Tachyon_The_Fringe/

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really liked frostpunk and while I'm waiting for the sequel I would like to play another survival rts. I've narrowed it down to Ixion, They Are Billions, or Against the Storm. Which of these three is the best?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

John Murdoch posted:

Sounds to me like Star Citizen is the game you're looking for.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

I wish Rebel Galaxy hadn't branched off into the Freelancer direction and just made another game like the first but even more like Sid Meier's Pirates! in Space. Instead of swordfights its barroom brawls, instead of ballroom dancing it's karaoke night

Exactly.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

[Read from card]

"Tremble... Flaxen-haired wench?! Umm... Bow before the prince of thieves!"

And then Dandelion comes in as the crimson avenger. This is too funny.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

I really liked frostpunk and while I'm waiting for the sequel I would like to play another survival rts. I've narrowed it down to Ixion, They Are Billions, or Against the Storm. Which of these three is the best?

Almost certainly Ixion if you want something close to frostpunk. It's a dark scifi story with colony building/management similar to Frostpunk's manager level decisions - but this time you're guiding the last of humanity on a mostly hard scifi-ish journey through the galaxy.

Against the Storm is all the fun parts of an early city builder, repeatedly - you build a colony, complete the goals, done, go do it again (unlocking new tech along the way). Eventually everything is wiped by the storm and you start anew, and every run is a little different due to randomization of tech, resources, and challenges (with 20 levels of difficulty if you're into that kinda climb). Superb game if you jam to that.

They Are Billions (or Age of Darkness if you want fantasy flavored) are RTS horde survival games (or The Last Spell if you want TBS horde survival also fantasy flavored :v:). All combat focused, all 'the world is doomed, save what is left' settings.

You picked a set of winners, so I'd just go with whatever suits your fancy the most at the moment.

victrix fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 12, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
im just gonna say it. It's 2D, but have you played The Ur-Quan Masters(Star Control II)? The free HD version holds up insanely well by today's standards, and involves a good story, fun gameplay, and spess gaem fun

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Eason the Fifth posted:

You'll get the most detailed answers in this thread.

IXION is janky but compelling. It's hard to do basic things - like reorganising your storage area, or share resources between the sectors of your ship - but the game still consumed me for about three days. They Are Billions has a fun sandbox and an awful campaign. I haven't played AtS but people speak highly of it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

im just gonna say it. It's 2D, but have you played The Ur-Quan Masters(Star Control II)? The free HD version holds up insanely well by today's standards, and involves a good story, fun gameplay, and spess gaem fun

I still think the closest we ever got to SC2 was Mass Effect in the AAA space, and maaaaaybe Space Rangers in the jank space.

Kinda astounding no one managed to replicate what made it so great to any significant degree though.

They are working on a sequel, but I'm skeptical they can recapture the magic.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

i've gotta say thedicemustroll up until this point i'd have to claim i don't think we mesh in videogame tastes in basically any possible fashion but by golly well you've proven me wrong

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVhWouEkAZU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

This game seems to use a very loose definition of "exploration" best I can tell.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Not yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware it's basically the peak of that specific class of 2D space game, but it's also far afield of what I'm after in this instance.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

This game seems to use a very loose definition of "exploration" best I can tell.
I've finished it. You can go anywhere you want. It's the closest you're going to get.

John Murdoch posted:

Except the "where" in "anywhere" seems to be pretty space backgrounds and isolated space stations and nothing else.

I mean, I said upfront that there's a dearth of games out there that fit my criteria. I don't think I've overlooked very many, I think they just flatout do not exist and that's my whole complaint.
lol alright dude

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 12, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Joe Man posted:

I've finished it. You can go anywhere you want. It's the closest you're going to get.

Except the "where" in "anywhere" seems to be pretty space backgrounds and isolated space stations and nothing else.

I mean, I said upfront that there's a dearth of games out there that fit my criteria. I don't think I've overlooked very many, I think they just flatout do not exist and that's my whole complaint.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There are a ton of games that are what you want. They just aren't space games because space is a lovely setting with too little to restrict movement. Movement and overcoming the restriction of it is what defines exploration. When there's no restriction, it's all samey and boring.

Sure, you could make a space exploration game where the player is exclusively flying through space-Kowloon and similar restrictive settings and maybe that's something someone should do (maybe they could call it Descent), but it'd be a ton of work to make it not just a worse version of the same concept but not able to just fly anywhere you like.

If you want exploration in space go play Outer Wilds. It's about as good as it's ever going to be possible to make something revolve around exploration in space.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i know the ubisoft news was this morning-ish but i've just caught up to this thread now and i just want to say...

i got a skull and bones t-shirt after i played a demo of the game at e3. i just went to my phone to look up when i went.. and it was e3 2018.. and they had a playable demo by that point.

i do love the shirt though, probably going to do more for me than the game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

K8.0 posted:

There are a ton of games that are what you want. They just aren't space games because space is a lovely setting with too little to restrict movement. Movement and overcoming the restriction of it is what defines exploration. When there's no restriction, it's all samey and boring.

Sure, you could make a space exploration game where the player is exclusively flying through space-Kowloon and similar restrictive settings and maybe that's something someone should do (maybe they could call it Descent), but it'd be a ton of work to make it not just a worse version of the same concept but not able to just fly anywhere you like.

If you want exploration in space go play Outer Wilds. It's about as good as it's ever going to be possible to make something revolve around exploration in space.

i get where john murdoch's coming from though, i myself want a space sim that's exactly freelancer, but more. i paid cash money into the star citizen kickstarter for god's sake, before i knew where that was going. i think everspace 2 and the indie game the one guy posted are hewing towards what he's asking for

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

why couldn't star citizen just be freelancer, but 2012 style

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

more importantly, why couldn't star citizen just not be a bunch of spaceship jpgs, i guess

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

oh I get the spirit of what they're asking for, it's just that they're still at the bargaining stage of grief :v:

space games and 4x games are two genres that took me a long, long time to realize that what I was looking for didn't (and maybe couldn't) exist. arpgs are getting close.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My brothers and sisters in christ, have you played Battlecruiser 3000 AD?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

John Murdoch posted:

If you want the sense of discovery and wonder in space distilled to its purest form (but limited to a single solar system and with no combat) I cannot recommend Outer Wilds enough.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It could be cool if there was, like, an open-world take on Descent. Fly around a galaxy Freelancer-style looking for contracts, but then all the nitty gritty of combat and discovery happens when you enter a derelict space station or planetary ruin and everything's much closer quarters.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Triarii posted:

It could be cool if there was, like, an open-world take on Descent. Fly around a galaxy Freelancer-style looking for contracts, but then all the nitty gritty of combat and discovery happens when you enter a derelict space station or planetary ruin and everything's much closer quarters.

YEAH IT WOULD BE COOL WOULDN'T IT

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah I think that might be cool

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

K8.0 posted:

I've pondered about this myself, and tbh I don't think it's an issue of a lack of restricted movement. I do think designing maps for total open 3D navigation is a potential nightmare or at best a very specialized skillset not normally taught or otherwise trained, and making a big giant open space world to explore would be at least as if not moreso expensive and taxing as making a ground-level one. So I'm not exactly surprised that there aren't dozens of them being pumped out every year.

But there's a non-zero number of underwater games that have decent exploration, and that's not that far removed from space. I think part of the problem here is that space games tend to talk in terms of macro exploration - in Elite Dangerous you can shoot off into unmapped space and genuinely discover planets that nobody else has ever seen before, and that is exploration of a sort but not remotely the kind I mean. I'm talking exploration on a smaller or at least more intimate scale, hence my original example of going through a dreadnought to salvage cool stuff. In a lot of space games you don't even really go to or otherwise interact with physical locations as such. No Man's Sky comes so close, but is let down by being procgen. And also a crappy survival/crafting game.

This also dovetails with the way space games strive for realism or an approximation thereof, so everything ends up lightyears away from everything else and distances need to be crossed with super duper hyper drives and you don't really navigate by sight much. Space is empty, so too must the game be.

I guess another way to frame it is that I'm not really interested in capital S capital G Space Games that do X, I'm interested in games that do X that happen to use space as their setting/have a scifi theme. Hell, there's a bunch of random genres/sub-genres that would be neat with a scifi skin. Pokemon Snap in space? Elden Ring in space? Dark Messiah in space? gently caress it, why not.

It doesn't involve flying a whole spaceship, but the spacewalk parts of Prey are a lot closer in vibe to what I mean, even if I ironically didn't like them much in that specific case. Hell, I just invented a game right there: Extrapolate everything one layer out so the game "world" is one giant gently caress off ancient space hulk and you need to explore it inside and out using a little scout ship, finding upgrades and new technologies along the way.

Also how the gently caress are we this far out and there's barely any games with grappler ships in 'em. Gimme melee weapons on my spaceships, goddamnit. :argh:

victrix posted:

oh I get the spirit of what they're asking for, it's just that they're still at the bargaining stage of grief :v:

space games and 4x games are two genres that took me a long, long time to realize that what I was looking for didn't (and maybe couldn't) exist. arpgs are getting close.

And city builders. :sigh:

SirSamVimes posted:

If you want the sense of discovery and wonder in space distilled to its purest form (but limited to a single solar system and with no combat) I cannot recommend Outer Wilds enough.

I have a brain disease that makes me consistently forget Outer Wilds exists, but yes that definitely goes on the short list of games that are in the right ballpark.

Triarii posted:

HMMMMM

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 12, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Watch Dogs 2 was probably the only good game Ubisoft released in the last decade, if not longer.

Legion has some cool ideas and it would've been a great game if it actually focused on them but they completely fumbled the execution. It's incredible how awful that game is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

John Murdoch posted:

I have a brain disease that makes me consistently forget Outer Wilds exists, but yes that definitely goes on the short list of games that are in the right ballpark.

Can you share it? I would like to completely forget my experience with Outer Wilds and play it again.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

John Murdoch posted:

Have you played Ring Runner: something or other of the Sages? Or is that why you specified 2d? It has a lot of close range brawls and using short range tractor beams to throw asteroids into ships and vice versa.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Triarii posted:

i'd like this a lot too

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Watch Dogs Legion was bad but I got some good amusement out of playing as the John Wick character class and just absolutely obliterating groups of enemies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SirSamVimes posted:

Can you share it? I would like to completely forget my experience with Outer Wilds and play it again.

I mean, it's all the games I've already mentioned one way or another. Prey, Hardspace Shipbreaker, and Chorus being the most significant ones. The list is games in space with exploratory elements, but none of them (maybe Prey at a stretch) are particularly alike Outer Wilds itself.

habituallyred posted:

Have you played Ring Runner: something or other of the Sages? Or is that why you specified 2d? It has a lot of close range brawls and using short range tractor beams to throw asteroids into ships and vice versa.

That's another one that's supposed to be top shelf, but I specified 3D not 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh right there was also that deathmatch shooter with the realistic zero-gravity physics. ...Shattered Horizon? Wasn't really my thing but that's lurked in the recesses of my memory when it comes to non-standard space games.