Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Dude, John, I like you am always on the lookout for the more intimate sense of exploration as you call it and Outer Wilds is pure discovery and exploration and it's in SPACE. Tell your brain worms to shut up and play it. Don't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

victrix posted:

oh I get the spirit of what they're asking for, it's just that they're still at the bargaining stage of grief :v:

space games and 4x games are two genres that took me a long, long time to realize that what I was looking for didn't (and maybe couldn't) exist. arpgs are getting close.

I understand why space games would have an ephemeral je ne sais quoi that's impossible to capture (and ARPGs too because that genre is entirely about chasing a high), but why 4Xs?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Maybe cuz all the 4X's in the past.. I dunno, ten years or so? Have been subpar and/or been majorly flawed.

It's a rough genre to like, but probably not as rough as RTS'.

edit: well maybe not. we got RA3 at least, I dunno what the poor 4X guys got.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

mycot posted:

I understand why space games would have an ephemeral je ne sais quoi that's impossible to capture (and ARPGs too because that genre is entirely about chasing a high), but why 4Xs?

they're paralyzed by a fan base that screeches and howls about AI cheating (and a fair number of devs)

AI cannot play the same game as a competent player, much less a skilled one in a genre with an ever expanding web of decisions that compound over a lengthy playtime (hell most of them can't even manage the low tier tactical combat)

Consequently the genre is amazing when you're bad and gets progressively worse the more you learn

All my favorites in that genre are asymmetric (the computer isn't playing the same game as the player, it's just there to provide a fun challenge - ironically the aptly titled AI War is a great example of this)

... I say "all my favorites" but really there's barely any, since the vast majority hew incredibly closely to the incredibly boring snowball of victory culminating in micro hell endgame that no one actually finishes

I'm hoping Against The Storm kicks the tires a bit, since some of that fanbase is shared with 4x players, and many of its core design decisions focus the gameplay around the fun early game loop of plate juggling, ending each game before the malaise sets in

I can't really think of the last "pure" 4x that tried the asymmetric thing whole hog. Maybe Sorcerer King?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The best combination of "space shooter while the world plays a 4X game around you" was Drox Operative but I wish someone could make an iteration of that with a budget greater than twenty dollars.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I'm in the mood for a new game like Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. Is there one like it on Steam while also being relatively cheap?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

victrix posted:

I still think the closest we ever got to SC2 was Mass Effect in the AAA space, and maaaaaybe Space Rangers in the jank space.

Kinda astounding no one managed to replicate what made it so great to any significant degree though.

They are working on a sequel, but I'm skeptical they can recapture the magic.

The Stardock one was a neat experiment

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

A Bystander posted:

I'm in the mood for a new game like Everyday Genius: SquareLogic. Is there one like it on Steam while also being relatively cheap?
Tametsi. Tametsi, Tametsi, Tametsi. Fair warning, it does get pretty brutal in the last half. Hexcells (plus, infinite)/Squarecells are also on the same wavelength. SquareLogic was also pretty close to sudoku, so any of the Cracking The Cryptic games should do you right, with the free one having a handful of good puzzles even without any purchases.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Trick Question posted:

Tametsi. Tametsi, Tametsi, Tametsi. Fair warning, it does get pretty brutal in the last half. Hexcells (plus, infinite)/Squarecells are also on the same wavelength. SquareLogic was also pretty close to sudoku, so any of the Cracking The Cryptic games should do you right, with the free one having a handful of good puzzles even without any purchases.

Tametsi looks like what I want. I've also already got all the -cells games, but thank you for those and I'll also check out Cracking The Cryptic.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Anyone any opinions on Sailing Era? Which looks like Chinese Pirates!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2161440/Sailing_Era/

EDIT: I'm an idiot, there's a demo so i'll try that.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 12, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My brothers and sisters in christ, have you played Battlecruiser 3000 AD?
Derek Smart
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Croccers posted:

Derek Smart
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

NO!!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

If I ever pick one up in a sale, which should I get?

Wildlands, obviously

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Wildlands, obviously

Would second that. One thing that struck me about Breakpoint is how completely empty it is. It's a gigantic map completely lacking anything to do in it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Croccers posted:

Derek Smart
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

Goddammit, don’t do this for reals

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

DerekSmartymans posted:

Goddammit, don’t do this for reals

Derek Smartymans
DEREK SMARTYMANS
DEREK SMARTYMANS

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How does Wildlands compare to MGSV in terms of a "military doing missions in an open world"? I dont mean so much the weird anime naked girls that cant talk because bugs will eat their throat poo poo, I mean all of the cool "trained pet dogs and airdropping supplies and calling backup" stuff

There is zero Kojima wackiness and no utterly impenetrable mechanics that you can't hope to master without multiple guides and it doesn't even start with an hour-long, molasses-paced, interactive cutscene that has nothing to do with the rest of the game, sadly.

I hate Kojima games, I hate MGS, so I am the wrong person to ask about that. I got 2 hours past the intro cutscene before I realized that it was more of his nonsense.

Honestly it's the closest thing to a SOCOM sandbox game there is. There's a main questline but, being a Ubisoft game, it's a huge map with lots of activities to do.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 12, 2023

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Derek Smartymans
DEREK SMARTYMANS
DEREK SMARTYMANS

Only works on the dead.

LowTax...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gamedec is free on Epic: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/gamedec

this is one where it's hard to recommend at full price but for free it's an easy call. it's a cyberpunk detective game where you solve crimes in video game worlds. it's all stat check based and so that can determine what clues you get access to and which you're locked out from.

it's not perfect but it's interesting and the visuals are nice. text-heavy, though, I don't think there's any VA. also at one point they put the characters from Seven: the Long Days Gone in it just because they liked that game? so that's fun i guess.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I impulse bought There is No Light and only had time to put about an hour into it, but I'll offer some impressions.

Seems like they put together an interesting grimdark/weird setting. The art style is okay. You can look at screenshots to tell if it bugs you or not. So far combat seems to be built around interrupting enemies' attacks by attacking them first, and getting in little pokes or 2 hit combos to build up a rage meter that lets you use your weapon's special ability. The starting special ability is just a bigger swing of the sword, but it lets you interrupt attacks you can't with normal attacks. The attacks are telegraphed with a little icon over the enemies' heads, color coded for how interruptible they are. Sometimes, when approaching an enemy from below, that icon won't even be on screen, so I found myself finding positions I otherwise wouldn't due to the camera. It's a little hard to tell where the hitboxes are on some attacks as well.

The writing's alright. The attempts at humor have so far fallen flat for me, but I do care about the protagonist and want him to win. I don't know if it'll hold my attention long enough to beat it, but fewer games do that these days. I am looking forward to getting home from work so I can give it another go, though, so that's something.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Communist Bear posted:

Anyone any opinions on Sailing Era? Which looks like Chinese Pirates!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2161440/Sailing_Era/

EDIT: I'm an idiot, there's a demo so i'll try that.

I played a few hours of the full game and it's more Uncharted Waters: New Horizons/the KOEI games than other age of sail games like Pirates! or the STORM engine games (PotC, AoP, every version of Sea Dogs)

I like it so far

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

A Bystander posted:

Here's a weird suggestion but https://store.steampowered.com/app/563200/Slay/. It's a territorial control game but it plays out like a hex-based puzzle game that for me light up the same brain cells as hexcells.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gyoru posted:

I played a few hours of the full game and it's more Uncharted Waters: New Horizons/the KOEI games than other age of sail games like Pirates! or the STORM engine games (PotC, AoP, every version of Sea Dogs)

I like it so far

Can you expand a bit on what this means? I never played Uncharted Waters but I'm kind of intrigued.

Also please let's not do necromancy in the thread, we don't need the dead rising to start going on about their videogames

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

thread necromancy is illegal

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HopperUK posted:

Can you expand a bit on what this means? I never played Uncharted Waters but I'm kind of intrigued.

Also please let's not do necromancy in the thread, we don't need the dead rising to start going on about their videogames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZVKU5imx0

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Triarii posted:

It could be cool if there was, like, an open-world take on Descent. Fly around a galaxy Freelancer-style looking for contracts, but then all the nitty gritty of combat and discovery happens when you enter a derelict space station or planetary ruin and everything's much closer quarters.

I never realized I wanted this until you said it, and I don't even like Descent specifically.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Uncharted Waters is like Sid Meier's Pirates except you start as predetermined characters of different nationalities/archetypes each with a different focus like cartography, creating a grand armada, starting a trade empire, raising national prestige, archaeology, etc. You sail around the world painting the map while upgrading your fleet, recruiting more captains, making money by selling your maps/trade goods/research/bounty hunting/piracy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gyoru posted:

Uncharted Waters is like Sid Meier's Pirates except you start as predetermined characters of different nationalities/archetypes each with a different focus like cartography, creating a grand armada, starting a trade empire, raising national prestige, archaeology, etc. You sail around the world painting the map while upgrading your fleet, recruiting more captains, making money by selling your maps/trade goods/research/bounty hunting/piracy

That sounds fun! I think I'll hold off on the game for now though, apparently the translation is very janky and that's the kind of thing that gets on my nerves.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ragequit posted:

Derek Smartymans
DEREK SMARTYMANS
DEREK SMARTYMANS

Doesn’t work…you can’t summon someone who was here the whole time!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:allears:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Horizon's Gate is a pretty cool indie that's a riff on Uncharted Waters with a mix of ships and tactical combat

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/

(the devs other games are pretty cool tactics games also)

super indie lowfi though if that's not your thing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone play Disciples: Liberation?

First impressions were decent but now I’m beginning to think everything is too slow. And the map is pointlessly littered with high level enemies. There was some of that in the originals, but usually you’d have to go out of your way to find them.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I never played Uncharted Waters/etc and I have to admit Horizon's Gate might be too crunchy and old school for me. After the initial stuff I get wrecked by sea monsters/random ships or I can get quests to go to places I have no clue on how to reach. I appreciate the idea of no quest compass/whatever but I couldn't figure out any way to ask directions so it seems like I'd just have to sail around randomly until I uncovered everything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Anyone play Disciples: Liberation?

First impressions were decent but now I’m beginning to think everything is too slow. And the map is pointlessly littered with high level enemies. There was some of that in the originals, but usually you’d have to go out of your way to find them.
I'm currently playing it and liking it a lot, although it is necessary to speed up combat animations before you die of old age. The units' abilities have interesting combinations and the story is a lot more responsive to your choices than you'd expect from a strategy game.

That being said I don't think it's gonna change much from what you've already seen. The enemy levels, however, are only really relevant on the first map or two - if you do sidequests, you'll end up overleveling 90% of random encounters (giving you a handy auto-win-battle option) and only having to do the trickier fights.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Croccers posted:

Derek Smart
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

anilEhilated posted:

I'm currently playing it and liking it a lot, although it is necessary to speed up combat animations before you die of old age. The units' abilities have interesting combinations and the story is a lot more responsive to your choices than you'd expect from a strategy game.

That being said I don't think it's gonna change much from what you've already seen. The enemy levels, however, are only really relevant on the first map or two - if you do sidequests, you'll end up overleveling 90% of random encounters (giving you a handy auto-win-battle option) and only having to do the trickier fights.

I think it’s an interesting evolution of the series. The battle system is good, but I’m not sure if I have the patience for dozens more of these low stakes but time consuming fights. But I’m not giving up yet.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Phigs posted:

Here's a weird suggestion but https://store.steampowered.com/app/563200/Slay/. It's a territorial control game but it plays out like a hex-based puzzle game that for me light up the same brain cells as hexcells.

Also gonna check this one out, thanks.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

On the subject of space games: I've always wanted to play a single-player AAA-quality game set on a huge capital ship, about as big as the Enterprise, the ship in Stargate SG1, or a star destroyer (although maybe that would be too big) where the entire interior is modelled and accessible, like the Normandy but with an indoor map-size comparable to that of a full game.

The ship itself moves through space and visits different systems and such (like a star trek or battlestar galactica ship would) and if you happen to be in a section of the ship where you can see out this is reflected there. Maybe you even get to have a say in where the ship goes if you play as the captain or someone that the captain listens to, and that affects what story events happen and in what order, which in turn have an effect on the ship itself, how it looks, which areas are accesible or closed off, which members of the crew end up dying/changing, that kind of thing.

I'd also be down with playing a more Lower-Decks type of character that just lives and works on the ship but gets caught up in whatever story ends up happening...whatever, who you or the other characters are and what the story is isn't really what I'm focussing on here (although I'd love it if those were as compelling as a Naughty Dog or CDPR game as well, obviously) just the setting itself.

There might be off-ship locations to add some variety, but these would be smaller, more linear areas where story or side missions can have an excuse to take place in a completely different environment just to keep things switched up if needed, like the Mass Effect 2 character missions, but the main star of the show would be the ship itself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I never realized I wanted this until you said it, and I don't even like Descent specifically.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I can't think of too many "big vehicle life sims" but they've got to exist - boats trains and planes oh my