Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Renata Price gave some preview impressions of Fire Emblem Engage in a recent Waypoint Radio episode. The way she described Emblem Marth's self-introduction as a tipping point that really transformed the way she viewed the game was quite interesting. Of course, there's still some room for some surprising reveals in the latter half of the game, but I think I am fine with a pretty basic weekend cartoon plot if they have really made the combat as compelling as she says.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-532-happy-new-year-heres-a-peasant-uprising/id1159170164?i=1000592931480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why did you leave two 12 year olds in charge of seliph then sigurd

i know one of those 12 year olds grew up to be shanan but still

avoraciopoctules posted:

Renata Price gave some preview impressions of Fire Emblem Engage in a recent Waypoint Radio episode. The way she described Emblem Marth's self-introduction as a tipping point that really transformed the way she viewed the game was quite interesting. Of course, there's still some room for some surprising reveals in the latter half of the game, but I think I am fine with a pretty basic weekend cartoon plot if they have really made the combat as compelling as she says.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-532-happy-new-year-heres-a-peasant-uprising/id1159170164?i=1000592931480
i mean genuinely 'extremely basic good vs evil story executed competently' would be in the top 5 plots in the series. the fe series vacillates between 'literally nothing happens' (fe5, fe6, fe7, fe13), 'basically that anyway' (fe1, fe3, fe8, also fe13) or 'trying to be complicated but backing off hard on having any actual consequences' (fe10, fe14, somewhat FE2)

then there's fe4 which has good ideas but is told primarily through the means of the seventeenth guy reusing this portrait going YES MY LORD and summoning 50 wyvern riders, fe16 which has maybe 1.5 routes of content split across 4, and FE9 which just barely escapes literally nothing happens due to having pretty good worldbuilding.

i love this series but iunno what one people are playing where they're terrified of losing the series' sterling plotting.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

you know for the longest time, due to the original art, I always thought Sigurd had one of those pencil thin, 80s mustaches to make him look more mature or whatever. I'm kind of disappointed he doesn't!

hoping that DLC has a Seliph Engage ring that lets him ask Sigurd wtf were you thinking

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I love me some plot

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, it’s not like he had much of a choice, literally the entire party was getting bad vibes from that chapter but the alternative was what, hiding out in Silesia/Issach until the Arvis Empire came to root out the “traitor” Sigurd?

Well, I guess Quan/Ethylin wouldn’t have come to help him out if he stayed in Silesia. Or I guess they could have just gone to Quan’s country which was better fortified anyway before Quan sent out his army to fight on a desert map. But it’s already a thing that Sigurd isn’t super bright and tends to just react to stuff without considering stuff like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can actually see how youd interpret the upper lip as a mustache and the lower lip as the whole mouth, lol

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ares' art in feh also always makes me think he has a moustache. It would be really in character for him to get to grow a lovely pencil one too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Isn't the entire first half of Genealogy just someone telling Sigurd to do something and then him immediately doing it without thinking?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

then there's fe4 which has good ideas but is told primarily through the means of the seventeenth guy reusing this portrait going YES MY LORD and summoning 50 wyvern riders

This is why I can't wait for an FE4 Echoes: It'll solve this problem by giving all 17 of those guys semi-unique looks and slightly more dialogue.

And also it'll expand on the cast a bit. FE4's cast is a bit of a step up from the first three games because the marriage system gives everyone at least a little dialogue, plus Talks, but it will really be a big boon to the smaller cast members like Azel and the like.

Like, Mae and Boey had 2 lines of dialogue before and Echoes came along and made me love them. Imagine what an FE4 remake could do.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Keep the same portrait for all of those guys in the FE4 remake and instead subtly imply in dialogue they are a single person working like 20 miniboss jobs under several fake names.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All the Generic Evil Wizard guys should use the same portrait.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Funky Valentine posted:

All the Generic Evil Wizard guys should use the same portrait.

Just like the long line of Annas having the same name and faces, even if they're different people. Generic Evil Wizards are also a very big and populated family.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the generic evil wizard that forgot his siege tome and runs around looking for it

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

Isn't the entire first half of Genealogy just someone telling Sigurd to do something and then him immediately doing it without thinking?

Sorta. Sigurd bowling balls his way around the continent trying to help his friends and fight injustice and people capitalize on the power vacuums he leaves in his wake until he’s no longer useful

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
okay here's one reason why Engage is already the worst game in the series

they moved luck below def and res

what the gently caress

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Which Alear are you planning on playing as, and who are you going to focus on in the hopes of romancing them?

I'm going F!Alear to romance Pandreo.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm gonna go M!Alear probably. I dislike absurdly long hair in pretty much every design it's included in. I just think it looks stupid, and not in a charming way. If it reaches below the shoulders, it's already really long!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Gonna play M!Alear but I'm going in with zero expectations about the mlm romance options

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

romance seems pretty deemphasized in general, im sure paired endings exist but i wouldnt get your hopes up for like, even the three houses level of unique cg/One event at the end of the game

maybe some of alear's paired endings are nonromantic tbh. well i guess byleth had gilbert and alois.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
M!Alear and I'm gonna have sex with the person who got the most kills

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m going girl Alear cause she’s cute and also just because I usually default to female protagonists anyway if they’re not asking you to do a full customization thing like Soulsborne/Pokémon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ive decided im going to be one of those weirdos whos really into corrin, except for alear

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
m!Alear, and I have absolutely zero interest in anyone romancing anyone.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Definitely F!Alear, probably gonna just pick who to tentatively chase supports with after either leaks or much faster players provide a list of the gay options.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm just going f alear for maximum hair, because I default to girl mcs and because her little battle romper is cute

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For pure ridiculousness of her hair I think I am going with F!Alear.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I'm just going f alear for maximum hair, because I default to girl mcs and because her little battle romper is cute

I know I dissed her hair, but her romper is really cute. I'm happy both Alears have the jester shoes at least; that would've been make-or-break for me.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

theshim posted:

okay here's one reason why Engage is already the worst game in the series

they moved luck below def and res

what the gently caress

It's the "etc." stat, of course you put it last :colbert: Their only mistake was not doing it sooner.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Definitely going Falear. Malear's outfit doesn't work as well imo and the long hair is great. I also think the two strands of hair down the front of their face look weird without the very long hair.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

female alear cause im a lady

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

blizzardvizard posted:

Gonna play M!Alear but I'm going in with zero expectations about the mlm romance options

This. I think his design is slightly less stupid but I'm only ever willing to be gay in FE. 3H's mlm options were loving dire without DLC though, so I'm not expecting better here.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

blizzardvizard posted:

Well you shouldn't date Anna and her multi-level marketing schemes anyway!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Male Alear, I usually play female characters in games that allow it but the multicoloured hair is so atrocious I want to reduce it to a minimum.

Also I'm secretly hoping we still get ending slides of sorts, and I want to smooch Citrinne, so playing as a male character maximizes my chances.

EDIT: you can apparently go to sleep on the Somniel and get waken up by allies.

https://twitter.com/FireEmblemJP/status/1613447554490052612?t=EOZgIxLvyM2y5yYSJkVZQQ&s=34

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 12, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Girl Alear's hair is really growing on me, gonna embrace it and play her. Not thinking about romance, tbh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm still leaning towards not picking this game up unless it's sufficiently gay tbh.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
ok

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cythereal posted:

I'm still leaning towards not picking this game up unless it's sufficiently gay tbh.

Honestly it's giving saturday morning cartoon vibes and it looks like the extent of romance will be limited to smashing your action (wo)man dolls together and making kissing noises, so it's not exactly heteronormative, either

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly Girl Alear's long hair is kinda driving me insane. Tie it up!! Maybe because I have longish hair as well but my hand itches just looking at her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly Girl Alear's long hair is kinda driving me insane. Tie it up!! Maybe because I have longish hair as well but my hand itches just looking at her