Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Never played an MH before. Wanna check out Rise but worrying about getting too into it and losing hundreds of hours to monsterin

You're worried that you will play a good game and have fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Escobarbarian posted:

Never played an MH before. Wanna check out Rise but worrying about getting too into it and losing hundreds of hours to monsterin

This happened to a friend of mine

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nuts and Gum posted:

It seems the next big gamepass drop is something no one ever mentions: Monster Hunter Rise. Was this not a cool game, or was it just on switch so nobody has played it yet? I loved the last one but burnt out on it before it got the 60fps patch.

I've had World on my wish list forever and am happy Rise is coming. I don't know how they compare, but one is free!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

You're worried that you will play a good game and have fun?

Kind of, if it comes at the expense of other games I want to play.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Escobarbarian posted:

Absolutely valid concern. It’s why I haven’t started FFXIV because I know it will consume my gaming soul for months.

FWIW I tried out Monster Hunter World and ended up sinking nearly 1000 hours in it. Gonna be trying Rise and, well… :shepicide:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

It's an amazing place to jump in and try the series, and one of my favorite games of all time.

And most MH veterans will say it's a smaller game (relatively speaking). As in, even the die-hards tended to put about half the time into it vs a mainline game. I did 400 hours in MH World but topped out just around 225 in Rise after the expansion. A person who played it like a normal human being could probably see 98% of what there is to see (in the base game) in 40 hours.

Jump over to the (friendly and helpful) MH thread if you have any questions, it's obviously a little quiet now but I'm sure it will perk back up once Rise makes it to Gamepass.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Escobarbarian posted:

Vampire Survivors :negative:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think my enjoyment of Vampire Survivors has a natural limit at the point it causes my eyes physical pain to play.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I just checked and they fixed the exploit in the phone version that let you select multiple upgrades at a time by using multiple fingers.

Trash game uninstalled.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

It seems the next big gamepass drop is something no one ever mentions: Monster Hunter Rise. Was this not a cool game, or was it just on switch so nobody has played it yet? I loved the last one but burnt out on it before it got the 60fps patch.

Monster Hunter temporarily returning to nintendo has made a certain type of person upset, yeah

It's a very good game though and a fine get. One hundred percent worth playing for $0

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I was a tiny bit annoyed that the last ten minutes of VS sometimes could get a bit dull (no choices left) but then I tried the turbo mode and that solved my one complaint

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

exquisite tea posted:

I think my enjoyment of Vampire Survivors has a natural limit at the point it causes my eyes physical pain to play.

Just get better eyes?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I was a tiny bit annoyed that the last ten minutes of VS sometimes could get a bit dull (no choices left) but then I tried the turbo mode and that solved my one complaint

Turn up the heat by dumping gold into Curse and going out of your way to equip Skull O'Maniac.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’m glad I was wrong and people are very much aware of MH Rise. The thought of playing at Nintendo30fps after being spoiled by 60 on modern consoles was too much and I forgot about it.

Idk how MS managed to get it on gamepass but I’m excited!

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I really don't like killing innocent creatures/animals in video games. (or real life for that matter) I'd rather kill humans, zombies, robots, etc. I also hate the idea of killing anything that may be an endangered species. I refuse to play games like Shadow of Colossians, Turok, or hunt wildlife in Ubi games.

Given that, should I avoid Monster Hunter?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah. The monster limp and foam at the mouth when they’re near death and it might be upsetting if you’re sensitive to that stuff

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

hatty posted:

Yeah. The monster limp and foam at the mouth when they’re near death and it might be upsetting if you’re sensitive to that stuff

Hmm. That might be a no for me unfortunately.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Grey posted:

I really don't like killing innocent creatures/animals in video games. (or real life for that matter) I'd rather kill humans, zombies, robots, etc. I also hate the idea of killing anything that may be an endangered species. I refuse to play games like Shadow of Colossians, Turok, or hunt wildlife in Ubi games.

The hunters are kind of not the good guys, in a jokey way. So maybe not

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I thought the monsters in MH were biological weapons that created the apocalypse.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Grey posted:

Dinosaurs aren't innocent and they also have machine guns so why not Turok? They're not even endangered!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Grey posted:

what the

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re endangered when I get through with them :clint:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monster Hunter is just preparing you for a close to reality future where most of earths life is dead.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 12, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

SpiderLink posted:

It's been a minute but I feel like Skyrim was an outlier and every other TES game had at least one massive city. Maybe it's because storage speed has improved, though.

oblivion and skyrim were released on the same consoles lol.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hello Xbox thread. I’m a filthy casual gamer that’s still been plugging along with my Xbox OneX and I was hoping to not buy a Series X until I absolutely had to (meaning when GTA6 came out.) But now there’s another game coming out that’s Series X only (Fallen Order 2) so I’m probably gonna have to buy one soon. I have two questions:

1) Is there any talk/rumor of a mid cycle refresh of the console on the horizon? I’ve tried to find out myself, and the answer seems to be either “no” or “yes but it’ll just be a smaller form factor and not until late 2023 or 2024”. Figured I’d see if anyone here had heard anything

2) I’m gonna move the OneX to the spare bedroom when I get the Series X. Once it’s all set up, am I correct in that I’ll be able to continue my games on either console thanks to cloud saves? My wife still plays ESO - will she be able to play on the SeriesX, save and quit, and then pick right up where she left off on the OneX? And vice versa? Also, would we both be able to play different games on the two consoles at the same time if they’re both GamePass games? Or does GamePass have a limit of one game per sub at a time?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hello Xbox thread. I’m a filthy casual gamer that’s still been plugging along with my Xbox OneX and I was hoping to not buy a Series X until I absolutely had to (meaning when GTA6 came out.) But now there’s another game coming out that’s Series X only (Fallen Order 2) so I’m probably gonna have to buy one soon. I have two questions:

1) Is there any talk/rumor of a mid cycle refresh of the console on the horizon? I’ve tried to find out myself, and the answer seems to be either “no” or “yes but it’ll just be a smaller form factor and not until late 2023 or 2024”. Figured I’d see if anyone here had heard anything

2) I’m gonna move the OneX to the spare bedroom when I get the Series X. Once it’s all set up, am I correct in that I’ll be able to continue my games on either console thanks to cloud saves? My wife still plays ESO - will she be able to play on the SeriesX, save and quit, and then pick right up where she left off on the OneX? And vice versa? Also, would we both be able to play different games on the two consoles at the same time if they’re both GamePass games? Or does GamePass have a limit of one game per sub at a time?

You should buy the Xbox Series X, OP

Cloud saves have been a thing for a while now, but I'm sure beyond a game by game basis that you'll need separate profiles for multiple saves which would mean GP Family.

Edit: Maybe I am wrong I did not realize this was a 9.2% beer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

There no substantial rumours but there are rumours

Cloud saving is free and just works, though with two xboxes the non-primary console will have to be online to access shared games

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Game pass is no problem for anybody to access on the primary console (along with anything else installed). I'm not sure how it functions on an extra console if you aren't the account paying for game pass

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

OldSenileGuy posted:

Although I suppose there are always rumors, the guy here who used to work for Xbox mentioned it's probably unlikely. He mentioned the X/Pro upgrades were done to take advantage of 4K catching on much faster than expected and doesn't forsee see anything like that occurring again mid-gen. I think he also mentioned that the chips used are unlikely to get cheaper/smaller anytime soon due to component shortages.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
There will almost certainly be Xbox Series models with more internal storage and/or a redesign at some point, but I don't think there have been substantial rumors about either at the point. The PlayStation 5 is likely getting a redesign this year, though.

I doubt there will be a more powerful Series X this generation.

If you want to save some money, Newegg often (every 2 or 3 weeks) sells Xbox gift cards for 10-15% off for a day, which you can use on Microsoft's website to buy an Xbox. Wario64 tweets about it when the sale happens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Grey posted:

. I also hate the idea of killing anything that may be an endangered species. I refuse to play games like Shadow of Colossians, Turok,

they're not real

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buy a series x op

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

buy a series x op

I agree. I got a Series S as emulation and backcompat machine and I'll end getting a Series X hopefully later this year.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

My friends are into monster hunters but I'm not sure if Rise is the one they play and can it crossplay with regular pc folks?

No Switch or Steam crossplay, only between people playing via Xbox.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ErrEff posted:

No Switch or Steam crossplay, only between people playing via Xbox.

Well that sucks! Any idea why? I guess this means I also can't grab my Switch save from cloud?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If a more powerful console release happens than the Series X/PS5 it would definitely be handled differently than the PS4 Pro/One X. Those both launched at their 2013 base console equivalent's price but I think an upgraded console would pretty much have to be considerably more expensive in kind of the same way there are big price jumps going across the different GeForce card tiers, like it would be $799-$999usd or some such. It would probably make it even more of an afterthought, too; the One X especially was often considered something of a necessary upgrade with a lot of games being so rough on the base Xbox One, but I think a lot of people would stick with the base PS5/Series X, and they probably won't meaningfully adjust in price ever.

I think whether or not at least Sony does it with the PS5 will probably depend on how well the PSVR2 sells.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, as one of the biggest advocates and boosters for Monster Hunter, if you are emotionally sensitive to animals in pain, even to capture vs kill you have to beat the things to the brink, and they really show it. Parts fly off, damage shows up, limping, frothing, panting. When they stop and pant in pain and exhaustion, that's the part where you're supposed to hit them the hardest.

And really, I totally get it. I took a long break from non-Nintendo consoles and found that, coming back this year having had a couple of kids, I can't play games where I shoot people. No matter what the context or enemy, if I'm shooting a person and they're going "hlaguauga" and dying, I just can't stomach it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well the strat of praying third party developers will make their games for them has worked great so far. im sure it'll work for vr too

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also i wasn't going to say anything but someone explain wtf that guys problem with shadow of the colossus is lol. it makes zero sense. games i cant stand to play (anxiety + scary) is sniper elite, doom eternal, and cooking mama

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Larry Parrish posted:

also i wasn't going to say anything but someone explain wtf that guys problem with shadow of the colossus is lol

I think the idea of, "this is a large, one-of-a-kind animal just tooling around its native habitat; now I gotta go kill it," just makes them sad. Not necessarily a moral stance against other people or that they're unable to acknowledge that it's all just pixels and storyline.

Just, killing a big beautiful thing there's only one of produces a negative emotion. Like I said above, shooting humans bums me out. I played an hour of that sniper game a couple of months ago where the whole appeal is blowing Nazis balls off or whatever and it just made me sad to be doing it. Nazis are bad and deserve their balls blown off, and the game isn't real it's a theme park ride. I know all this intellectually. But the actual act of doing it made me feel bad.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For Shadow of the Colossus at least that effect is intentional. But I don't think of it as actively killing a creature so much as participating in the retelling of a story.