Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly Girl Alear's long hair is kinda driving me insane. Tie it up!! Maybe because I have longish hair as well but my hand itches just looking at her

She can tie it in a ponytail, and it even looks good! But apparently only on the Somniel. I hope they patch in the possibility to use alternative outfits in battle too

EDIT: beaten like a lance user facing an armor knight with an axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm pretty excited for the Somniel outfits because I love playing dress up with my action figures.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
M Alear because I have no faith in FF representation and I'll be mad if I can't smooch a girl I like.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The stupidly long anime hair is great, and if maintaining hair that wasn't even half that long wasn't a nightmare I would do so.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Thank God the JP op is also shonen as hell so dub whiners can shut the gently caress up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nintendo world report did a q&a about the game.

main things:

1) emblems arent really in the plot much, even marth. that said there's enough of them in bond convos and homebase stuff that he was able to start liking sigurd as a character despite not playing FE4
2) engage meter starts full at the start of battles (ltc city probably)
3) maddenings available from the start
4) supports are similar to awakening's in terms of length and what they're about, some characters have more depth than others (dude really, really likes yunaka)
5) characters sadly don't have constantly updating dialog in the home base the way they did in three houses, occasionally they'll get a new bit but not nearly as indepth as 3h
5.5) characters do have different lines in the post-battle exploration but they mostly talk about the country/geography, rather than the events of the plot. sometimes characters also get dialog about things that happened in battle, like them killing a bunch of enemies in one turn or them getting down to 1-3 HP.
6) on maddening some bosses have multiple health bars, sort of like monsters in three houses. unsure if later in the game hard mode/normal mode bosses also start getting this.
7) only women can be pegasus knights, but anyone can be a wyvern rider/griffon rider

he can only talk about up to chapter 8 but he implies he played a lot further than that so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Thank God the JP op is also shonen as hell so dub whiners can shut the gently caress up
i mean its not like the song was going to be completely different between versions i just think the dub singer isnt very good, i dont care about it being one piece opening 13

edit: also speaking of dual audio confirmed

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 12, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It would have been weird if dual audio wasn’t there, I guess Fates/Echoes didn’t have it but Fates was a big game and Echoes didn’t even have space for one language in the cart :v: still nice to have it confirmed, it should ideally always be a thing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Endorph posted:

7) only women can be pegasus knights, but anyone can be a wyvern rider/griffon rider

This is really one thing Fates did right, this kind of class restriction is so pointless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, I think Pegasus Knights being female only is totally fine. It's a series classic and I kind of like it as an aesthetics thing. There don't seem to be any other gender restrictions in classes unlike all the weird poo poo going on in Three Houses.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Torrannor posted:

This is really one thing Fates did right, this kind of class restriction is so pointless.

Eh, it's flavor. It's not like 3Houses where you can't be a male flying mage because ????

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

Eh, it's flavor. It's not like 3Houses where you can't be a male flying mage because ????

It's dumb. Boys should be allowed to have pretty flying horses.

Tsubaki being lame should not ban us from our horses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

counterpoint rosado's wyvern is cuter with the ribbons

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There were several boys in Three Houses/Hopes who very clearly wanted to fly pretty horses and couldn't, and it was really sad. I hope we can move beyond these dumb restrictions. And Rosado's wyvern is super cute, but that's independent of pegasi being gender locked.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It would in fact be cuter if Rosado could ride a pegasus but instead thinks his wyvern is cuter instead of just being banned from riding one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk i get that it feels a touch gender essentialist but i like stuff like tanith in fe9/10 being this serious no nonsense lady who rides a flying pony around and has an entirely female knights corps under her command and i do not think youd get that kind of character type without the female only pegasi thing, and bringing it back mostly reminds me of that even in the absence of three pegasus knights per game

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Tanith being good is an argument for better writing, not restricting men from stuff that's perceived to be female coded.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean i dont really think thats the whole of it given that seadall and rosado exist, in this game. i seriously dont interpret the female only peg knight thing as 'grr we dont want men to ride the pegasi, thatd be gay'

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Deltasquid posted:

She can tie it in a ponytail, and it even looks good! But apparently only on the Somniel. I hope they patch in the possibility to use alternative outfits in battle too

EDIT: beaten like a lance user facing an armor knight with an axe

Emblem Fit

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Worth noting that eventually no one will be riding pegasi since that's just a base class and wyvern/griffon are the only two advanced flier options.

Except for Hortensia maybe since she has a unique class but idk if that's still a pegasus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Worth noting that eventually no one will be riding pegasi since that's just a base class and wyvern/griffon are the only two advanced flier options.

Except for Hortensia maybe since she has a unique class but idk if that's still a pegasus
hortensia's promoted class is sleipnir which is a reference to odins horse so its probably a pegasus yeah

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
More fanart, this time of Zephia.

https://twitter.com/MikaPikaZo/status/1613550916875202560

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Nice Granblue Fantasy character.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

i mean i dont really think thats the whole of it given that seadall and rosado exist, in this game. i seriously dont interpret the female only peg knight thing as 'grr we dont want men to ride the pegasi, thatd be gay'

Then what is it? Because it's Fire Emblem tradition? They broke that with Tsubaki in Fates and even if it was, in Fire Emblem women traditionally aren't allowed to punch things and that's stupid as well.

The tradition is sexist, it's grounded in the concept that only pure maidens are worthy of riding horses, it should be consigned to the bin. You can be progressive in some areas but that doesn't make you immune to criticism for areas where you're not.

(Technically that's the tradition with the unicorn but FE just seems to blend the two. Which in of itself is weird because the Pegasus is, at least in Greek mythology, this incredible animal of war that Greek heroes fly around on all the time)

I really do love these illustrations, they've done wonders for rehabilitating the characters in my eyes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

The tradition is sexist, it's grounded in the concept that only pure maidens are worthy of riding horses
i mean cordelia and sumia gently caress halfway through awakening so

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

i mean cordelia and sumia gently caress halfway through awakening so

Yeah that's not actually a counterpoint. It's a sexist tradition, it doesn't mean that the FE devs know why it's sexist any more.

It's loving stupid in every way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not sure what would be a counterpoint in your eyes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

im not sure what would be a counterpoint in your eyes.

Sexism is bad.

There is no counterpoint.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
tell that to the horses, they've gotten away with this for too long!!!!!

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Its ok for girls to have a cool thing that guys don't get imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Sexism is bad.

There is no counterpoint.
i agree that sexism is bad, but i dont think its sexist.

like, full cards on the table here. i loved the peg knights in fe7 when i was a kid. like i didnt fully realize what was going on with them until i finally managed to work through hector mode enough to get farina and go 'waaait theyre all girls.' then i actually paid attention to the dialog and was like, 'wait, they're all cool female mercenaries?' and was soooo excited, you have no idea. i was over the moon about it. i used those three basically every playthrough of fe7 i ever did. to be the whole pegasus knight thing became associated with feminine strength. i was excited to see the peg knights in fe8 even though syrene is a total drag, i absolutely adored tanith in fe9, i was kinda disappointed with the whitewings when shadow dragon came out here because they all promoted into wyvern lords. (which are cool, but different.)

when i played the old FE games on emulation i was always curious to see what the older peg knights were like. the evil peg knight drama in fe4 gen 1 is barely a thing but i still found it neat, and how misha in fe5 fit into that as part of her backstory was actually really cool imo. when i did dumbass invisionfree roleplays all my characters were either cool dark mages or peg knights. i invented 'dark magic peg knight' years before aversa so really intsys owes me money.

im not saying peg knights were like, my introduction to feminism or anything, or that i had some insane personal journey based on the inspiration i got from a prepromote in fe9 with two supports, or anything, it was just something that made me happy as a kid. obviously as an adult i can see how they contributed to the limiting factors of how female units were presented both mechanically and aesthetically, but i think its possible to smooth that over without sacrificing peg knights, and i think awakening largely accomplished that.

tsubaki in fates didn't bother me, if they wanted to go that direction forever i wouldnt really care, but if the choice were (somehow) up to me, yeah, id stick with female only peg knights. i get how it comes across and i get why some people would have problems with it, so again, if they wanted to go the other direction id totally get why, but its something that makes me happy and has a lot of nostalgia for me that isnt really recreatable with just 'good writing,' the fact that specifically only women can do it is part of the appeal.

and i doubt much of this was the designers intent at first, but ive seen other FE fans express similar sentiments so its entirely possible part of the inertia in keeping this around is based on other people feeling this way, especially with FE having gone on long enough to have longtime fans of it now working on it.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Being a trans man or enby would come with a whole extra set of worries in a world where having your egg crack means that your flying horse suddenly throws you off it's back 1,000 feet in the air

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
create a hanneman-esque character who is interested in pegasus mysteries rather than crests and is researching how to get them to accept men

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sudden Javelin posted:

create a hanneman-esque character who is interested in pegasus mysteries rather than crests and is researching how to get them to accept men

are pegasi misandrist, the greatest thread in the history of the fodlantruth forums, locked after 76,436 pages of heated debate

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I dunno. Ignatz and Marianne in Three Hopes conduct some field research on getting pegasi to accept male riders.

Doesn't go so well for Ignatz.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

i agree that sexism is bad, but i dont think its sexist.

like, full cards on the table here. i loved the peg knights in fe7 when i was a kid. like i didnt fully realize what was going on with them until i finally managed to work through hector mode enough to get farina and go 'waaait theyre all girls.' then i actually paid attention to the dialog and was like, 'wait, they're all cool female mercenaries?' and was soooo excited, you have no idea. i was over the moon about it. i used those three basically every playthrough of fe7 i ever did. to be the whole pegasus knight thing became associated with feminine strength. i was excited to see the peg knights in fe8 even though syrene is a total drag, i absolutely adored tanith in fe9, i was kinda disappointed with the whitewings when shadow dragon came out here because they all promoted into wyvern lords. (which are cool, but different.)

when i played the old FE games on emulation i was always curious to see what the older peg knights were like. the evil peg knight drama in fe4 gen 1 is barely a thing but i still found it neat, and how misha in fe5 fit into that as part of her backstory was actually really cool imo. when i did dumbass invisionfree roleplays all my characters were either cool dark mages or peg knights. i invented 'dark magic peg knight' years before aversa so really intsys owes me money.

im not saying peg knights were like, my introduction to feminism or anything, or that i had some insane personal journey based on the inspiration i got from a prepromote in fe9 with two supports, or anything, it was just something that made me happy as a kid. obviously as an adult i can see how they contributed to the limiting factors of how female units were presented both mechanically and aesthetically, but i think its possible to smooth that over without sacrificing peg knights, and i think awakening largely accomplished that.

tsubaki in fates didn't bother me, if they wanted to go that direction forever i wouldnt really care, but if the choice were (somehow) up to me, yeah, id stick with female only peg knights. i get how it comes across and i get why some people would have problems with it, so again, if they wanted to go the other direction id totally get why, but its something that makes me happy and has a lot of nostalgia for me that isnt really recreatable with just 'good writing,' the fact that specifically only women can do it is part of the appeal.

and i doubt much of this was the designers intent at first, but ive seen other FE fans express similar sentiments so its entirely possible part of the inertia in keeping this around is based on other people feeling this way, especially with FE having gone on long enough to have longtime fans of it now working on it.

This is pretty much my feelings as well, right down to the nostalgia for how happy it made me as a girl. Let girls have nice things!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I was freed from the pegasi debate when I realized it is class change that must go

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

wait if wyvern rider and griffin rider are the advanced classes, is there no falco knight?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

i was kinda disappointed with the whitewings when shadow dragon came out here because they all promoted into wyvern lords. (which are cool, but different.)

They did have Falcoknights in FE11, but restricted it to only being accessible to players with internet connections in 2009 because screw poor people. Especially dickish thanks to Dracoknights still having their relatively low speed caps from GBA.

And what ROFL Octopus said. Just get rid of reclassing, it makes Fire Emblem more minmaxy than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
at risk of sounding like out of touch bourgeois scum, I don't think having an Internet connection in 2009 is a sign of opulent wealth, particularly if you've afforded both the game and handheld