Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

happyhippy posted:

Annoying but this simple thing protects you and the driver.
It stops the driver stealing it or winging it in the bushes if it cant find your place.
And it stops you from claiming it never arrived.
Or if someone knew your parcel was being delivered and hung outside and pretended to be you.

Continuing my Evri rant, this doesn't necessarily protect anyone except the company. If an Evri driver delivers a parcel to some rando outside your house, bloops the handset, and snaps a picture of it in their hands, that parcel's been delivered. End of, as far Evri are concerned. If you, the recipient, get a text or whatever saying your parcel's been delivered, but you don't have it, you'd go on to use their web tool, put in the tracking number... and be informed it's been delivered. There is no "no it hasn't, actually" option.

You can whinge at the sender, who has more options on their end, but good luck if you've bought something from a private seller or a hellsite like Vinted, because the sender's already got your money and why should they give a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Wachter posted:

Continuing my Evri rant, this doesn't necessarily protect anyone except the company. If an Evri driver delivers a parcel to some rando outside your house, bloops the handset, and snaps a picture of it in their hands, that parcel's been delivered. End of, as far Evri are concerned. If you, the recipient, get a text or whatever saying your parcel's been delivered, but you don't have it, you'd go on to use their web tool, put in the tracking number... and be informed it's been delivered. There is no "no it hasn't, actually" option.

You can whinge at the sender, who has more options on their end, but good luck if you've bought something from a private seller or a hellsite like Vinted, because the sender's already got your money and why should they give a poo poo?

I get that's the intention, but it doesn't work.

It didn't work the time they took a photo of a parcel sat outside some other house's door that wasn't mine. It didn't work when they delivered it to #2 rather than #12. It's an attempt to strike a balance on the part of the courier, and also on the part of the drivers - sometimes each gets it wrong.

Edit: Since moving away from the city centre to a smaller community I've found delivery has improved. It's the same people every time from all couriers so I believe they feel more responsibility - if they're a oval office one time then they'll be facing angry people when they have to deliver there the next week. It's the same as when I used to maintain datacentre racks - when it was just me, I knew whatever mess I left I'd have to deal with the next visit. When it was other people doing it, they left it in a lovely state.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 12, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
KPIs are a bullshit invention of bad managers to make up for the fact they don't know how manage people and don't understand the jobs they're meant to be managing. I work in the social care industry and our KPIs for client improvement can be claimed even if we just think they've improved from our own observation and only need to be claimed once over the whole year so someone could improve in June then fall off the cliff for the rest of the year and we still count them. I spent so much time at the end of month getting our KPI stats together (cause guess what, the way the info is stored is also a mess) and I might as well pull them out of my rear end for all it matters cause literally no one is checking.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got a pay rise! Does that make me (more of) a oval office?

Did I become part of the problem when I asked for a raise ahead of inflation, contrary to tory advice?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Did I become part of the problem when I asked for a raise ahead of inflation, contrary to tory advice?

Congrats! (On being a massive oval office!)

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I get that's the intention, but it doesn't work.

It didn't work the time they took a photo of a parcel sat outside some other house's door that wasn't mine. It didn't work when they delivered it to #2 rather than #12. It's an attempt to strike a balance on the part of the courier, and also on the part of the drivers - sometimes each gets it wrong.

Edit: Since moving away from the city centre to a smaller community I've found delivery has improved. It's the same people every time from all couriers so I believe they feel more responsibility - if they're a oval office one time then they'll be facing angry people when they have to deliver there the next week. It's the same as when I used to maintain datacentre racks - when it was just me, I knew whatever mess I left I'd have to deal with the next visit. When it was other people doing it, they left it in a lovely state.

Sorry, how do you mean "it doesn't work"? Granted we may be talking about different companies, but last year I had a text to say my Evri parcel had been delivered to my local Parcelshop. It wasn't there. I couldn't collect the parcel because it wasn't there. Neither Parcelshop staff nor sender could do anything, because the computer said it had been delivered. This went on for about a week until it suddenly, actually, got delivered. So you can reasonably surmise that the Evri driver blooped the parcel, then forgot to get it out of the van, whereupon it remained in limbo until the physical reality of its location synched up with the database.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
KKKPIs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

My opinion on your pay rise will be delivered between 7:00am and 7:00pm tomorrow. If you can't be there to receive it I'll call someone else a oval office instead.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If you use your payrise to buy eggs I'll blame you for the price of eggs going up

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Apparently there's an egg shortage, when I go to morrisons... no eggs (except the expensive organic ones). The when I go to Lidl, eggs aplenty.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

If you use your payrise to buy eggs I'll blame you for the price of eggs going up

What if he uses the windfall to purchase 10 chickens, thus removing himself from the consumer side of the egg market entirely?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Heard they've started repainting Kinder Surprises to look like regular eggs

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Heard they've started repainting Kinder Surprises to look like regular eggs

Wouldn't surprise me

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Failed Imagineer posted:

What if he uses the windfall to purchase 10 chickens, thus removing himself from the consumer side of the egg market entirely?

It'd make me a capitalist oval office, the likes of which this thread despises, surely?

But it'd never happen. I'd just end up eating the chickens.

Wachter posted:

Sorry, how do you mean "it doesn't work"? Granted we may be talking about different companies

Because the process in place to guarantee I get my parcel doesn't guarantee I get my parcel. The box is ticked provided the driver says it's delivered and provides 'evidence'. I was fortunate that I recognised the door from two streets away on the street whose name commonly got confused with mine, I was fortunate that the owner of that house hadn't decided to help themselves to it - the fact I got my hands on the thing was not because of the courier's system, it was in spite of it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:nws::nms:
https://twitter.com/DEANO2025/status/1613442365422997504
:nws::nms:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
^^^ twitter wont let me see that without logging in and I deleted my account months ago

I kept wondering who this Evri was as I've never heard of them. Turns out it's just a rebrand of Hermes hahaha yeah they are awful.

They along with Amazon prime think it's fine to just dump things over my gate, cos walking round to the door is too far for them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

^^^ twitter wont let me see that without logging in and I deleted my account months ago

Google 'chapter 43 spare', and I'm sure you'll find it on every media platform

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Because the process in place to guarantee I get my parcel doesn't guarantee I get my parcel. The box is ticked provided the driver says it's delivered and provides 'evidence'. I was fortunate that I recognised the door from two streets away on the street whose name commonly got confused with mine, I was fortunate that the owner of that house hadn't decided to help themselves to it - the fact I got my hands on the thing was not because of the courier's system, it was in spite of it.

Yep sorry I misread your post

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

I'm not reading manga, sorry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

Wouldn't surprise me
Real fake eggs are far more pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R54EvuNXEbs

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1611117512694939653

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

I kept wondering who this Evri was as I've never heard of them. Turns out it's just a rebrand of Hermes hahaha yeah they are awful.

They along with Amazon prime think it's fine to just dump things over my gate, cos walking round to the door is too far for them.

that’s very clever, wonder if yodel have done a rebrand, especially since it has been more than once that i’ve cancelled an online order when i found out they’re the delivery company

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jel Shaker posted:

that’s very clever, wonder if yodel have done a rebrand, especially since it has been more than once that i’ve cancelled an online order when i found out they’re the delivery company

Lol Yodel is the rebrand. They used to be HDNL.
Maybe its time they rebranded again.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Found this site linked on a free festival website last night that might be of interest to those of you in England and Wales who like going for walks. It provides regularly updated map overlays of all the public rights of way in 123 local authorities. https://www.rowmaps.com/

Gonna try and make some brief responses to this. I did indeed misunderstand some of what you were getting at.

Guavanaut posted:

This is interesting, thank you.
You are very welcome, glad you found it worthwhile.

Guavanaut posted:

My main point was that the Parthenon Marbles and Benin Bronzes have become a sort of cult. Not even the interesting kind, just the cult of Our Stuff/Those Bastards, where to even get anything out of the many op eds full of lies about them you have to start by being a full initiate to the idea that they are Our Stuff, which in turn gives Greeks, Turks, Nigerians, etc. the mantle of Those Bastards. I doubt half the people writing that even know what they look like, because they seem wreathed in mystery that the actual physical objects lack. (Greek nationalists do play that game too, but they're playing as the side without the pieces.)
Wait, what? The British press are framing the folks who want their stuff back as the bastards? That just hurts my head in it's wrongness, words fail. Yet another reason not to read the papers. Not quite sure what you mean by the objects lacking mystery, in the flesh Benin bronzes and the Parthenon marbles are extremely impressive works of craftsmanship and art, though as you rightly point out these commentators have almost certainly only looked at photos, if that.

Guavanaut posted:

You can also say similar for a lot of those pseudo Greco-Roman affairs built by 18th/19th century failsons. The supposed virtues they represent seem more Anglo Protestant than Classical, with the added air that it's important that you know that they've read Homer. Definitely not something meant for the masses.
I've always seen this showy use of "Classical" styles as simple cargo cult logic, "If we look like we are Roman we will be the Romans, by magic". The Greeks and the Romans being of course the pinnacle of civilisation, which we are also *ignores all differences in actual values and virtues cos it's all about the appearance never the substance.*

Guavanaut posted:

Which is what brought me to thinking about what (very pejoratively) got referred to as 'gutter religions' in Mesoamerica, the ones that are neither a faithful attempt at resurrecting pre-Columbian religion nor getting along with the Catholic Church hierarchy, but form something else at the complete opposite end of the spectrum to Regency chaps flirting with Hellenism and stealing poo poo. Is there a British equivalent of that at a time of supposed declining religiosity?
Still not clear on the actual details of these. Searching for "gutter religions" with or without Mesoamerica just gives things about Farrakhan being antisemitic. Is it just mashing together bits of indigenous Pre-Columbian stuff with bits of Christian while not committing to either nor trying to make a cohesive syncretism?

Guavanaut posted:

By pure serendipity I think I may have found an answer to that one.
These Boris cultists are getting ridiculous. Serendipity is one of my favourite spirits, along with her sister the nameless goddess of cool things found on the pavement.

Guavanaut posted:

i don't think it's elitist to say that we could, should we wish, put out that kind of thing at a far greater rate. Or that we could put up a temple bigger and faster with rebar than what Solomon allegedly required mastery of demons to achieve. Or that Ram V. Sutar could make a statue over 10 times the size of Michaelangelo's David in under twice the time without needing a literal army of manual workers with chisels. It's more of an indictment that we could and yet choose to make empty luxury apartments made of tat for real estate scams instead.
Okay definitely misunderstood you here. I thought you were implying that ancient monuments were qualitatively worse than what we could produce. Sorry. Though I do feel that your focusing on our ability to make more, faster and bigger kind of misses the point, and, I'm afraid, smacks a little bit of the sort of line a capitalist Captain of Industry would come up with, all speedy process and convenience and little concern for enduring quality of result. Though I know that that is absolutely not what you are going for. * I'm mainly talking below about my (lol they're not mine but ykwim) EBA sites here as I'm most intimately familiar with them but most of what I am saying is applicable for a period of close to two thousand years for most of the country* There is actually a fair amount of circumstantial evidence that in the past the approach was almost the diametric opposite, many of the sites (that we have looked at in sufficient detail) seem to have been built over a long time with interruptions. Some were already being used as cremation sites long before the final phases of construction are complete. Hell some of them were cremation sites before anything was built. This I feel may be a reflection of the nature of the communities building them, subsistence farmers with fairly low density populations simply wouldn't be able to survive if they tied up a sizable chunk of their workforce in construction. No shops so you have to be self-sufficient or die, but also no completion bonds with an enforced end date so you do it seasonally when the subsistence work is less, crops in the ground, cattle in high pasture being watched by a few teenagers. The significant thing may even have been the act of communal building rather than the final structure, we see this in the anthropological literature, and it's a reasonable explanation for why you frequently find several of these things built in a relatively small area. One valley in Aberdeenshire for example has two extant large monuments and good historical records of a further five of the same type having been cleared off the land (good sources of building stone). Way more than there could have ever been a contemporaneous need for. Perhaps a new one was built every couple of generations, a new one being started as the last of those who remembered the building of the last one died off. This also touches on a really important fundamental difference, when you and your relatives and neighbours have built the thing you have a much stronger direct personal connection to it and a fostering of real social cohesion, cos without it you'd never finish. Personal investment and shared stories, "That's where Thrug nearly got his foot crushed, lucky your uncle Grok and the boys were there", "mind moving that bugger, that was a hard week" and so on. Ram V. Sutar can get enormous statues built (he designs them, he doesn't build them *pedant*) but I bet that the chinese factory workers who cast the bronze cladding for the Statue of Unity (and may never have seen the finished product in the flesh) have very little connection to it on any deep level, it was a just one contract among many. A more prestigious contract sure but not something that is theirs. I am of course arguing from a position that these sites were socially inclusive not exclusive, they were there for everyone not fancy architecture for an elite. Again the populations do not seem to be large enough for what I call the Cecil B. DeMille model, an elite ordering a second tier of enforcers to force the lower classes to labour for them. That's a later more "civilised" aberration that we now know the Egyptians didn't use even though they could have (I blame that Classical lot personally..). Gonna leave it there or I'll start adding in tangents and more speculations. One last anecdote, a cautionary tale about not believing the presented image of how these things were done; a very respected archaeologist who I have worked for (hence knowing the story) gets a phone call from a researcher for a new TV reconstruction of How They Built Stonehenge. "How do you think they managed to move the really big stones?" "Oh that's easy, oxen they're very strong" "No that's impossible" "What? One of the oldest things at Stonehenge is an ox skull in the ditch, we know they had them" "No, no we can't use oxen, our insurance would never cover it, we can only afford undergraduates" "oh....oh dear".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It'd make me a capitalist oval office, the likes of which this thread despises, surely?

Must've missed that "owning chickens" chapter in Das Kapital. Easy to do, since I never bothered reading it.

E: EV I am imploring you to use paragraphs. I'm sure you have interesting posts but my brain just slides off that wall of text

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What else is the means of egg production?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Starting to think that Fantastic Mr Fox could be a revolutionary allegory

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jel Shaker posted:

I'm not sure there's any courier company I trust tbh. They're all equally terrible and I'm pretty sure companies deliberately obfuscate whether they deliver via courier or royal mail.

Royal Mail are the only remotely reliable service imo (and, for me, the only one with an easily reachable depot) except even with them there's no way to easily stop them handing stuff to a particular neighbour and then it's your problem if the neighbour keeps it or straight up vanishes.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I like my postie. I gave him an ice cold coke on one of the 39C days.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm not sure there's any courier company I trust tbh. They're all equally terrible and I'm pretty sure companies deliberately obfuscate whether they deliver via courier or royal mail.

Royal Mail are the only remotely reliable service imo (and, for me, the only one with an easily reachable depot) except even with them there's no way to easily stop them handing stuff to a particular neighbour and then it's your problem if the neighbour keeps it or straight up vanishes.

FedEx and UPS have yet to let me down but they’re used super infrequently so maybe they just aren’t getting enough volume to make them terrible and/or I don’t receive enough to make the sample size of one household worthwhile.

Our RM postie who does the parcels big enough to need a van is also very good, he’s realised you can see us upstairs when we’re working from home so he knocks on the door then goes to get the parcel out so he hasn’t got to stand around for ages waiting for us to come down.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For many years you have been asking, "Who is John Galt?"

EmptyVessel posted:

Okay definitely misunderstood you here. I thought you were implying that ancient monuments were qualitatively worse than what we could produce. Sorry. Though I do feel that your focusing on our ability to make more, faster and bigger kind of misses the point, and, I'm afraid, smacks a little bit of the sort of line a capitalist Captain of Industry would come up with, all speedy process and convenience and little concern for enduring quality of result. Though I know that that is absolutely not what you are going for. * I'm mainly talking below about my (lol they're not mine but ykwim) EBA sites here as I'm most intimately familiar with them but most of what I am saying is applicable for a period of close to two thousand years for most of the country* There is actually a fair amount of circumstantial evidence that in the past the approach was almost the diametric opposite, many of the sites (that we have looked at in sufficient detail) seem to have been built over a long time with interruptions. Some were already being used as cremation sites long before the final phases of construction are complete. Hell some of them were cremation sites before anything was built. This I feel may be a reflection of the nature of the communities building them, subsistence farmers with fairly low density populations simply wouldn't be able to survive if they tied up a sizable chunk of their workforce in construction. No shops so you have to be self-sufficient or die, but also no completion bonds with an enforced end date so you do it seasonally when the subsistence work is less, crops in the ground, cattle in high pasture being watched by a few teenagers. The significant thing may even have been the act of communal building rather than the final structure, we see this in the anthropological literature, and it's a reasonable explanation for why you frequently find several of these things built in a relatively small area. One valley in Aberdeenshire for example has two extant large monuments and good historical records of a further five of the same type having been cleared off the land (good sources of building stone). Way more than there could have ever been a contemporaneous need for. Perhaps a new one was built every couple of generations, a new one being started as the last of those who remembered the building of the last one died off. This also touches on a really important fundamental difference, when you and your relatives and neighbours have built the thing you have a much stronger direct personal connection to it and a fostering of real social cohesion, cos without it you'd never finish. Personal investment and shared stories, "That's where Thrug nearly got his foot crushed, lucky your uncle Grok and the boys were there", "mind moving that bugger, that was a hard week" and so on. Ram V. Sutar can get enormous statues built (he designs them, he doesn't build them *pedant*) but I bet that the chinese factory workers who cast the bronze cladding for the Statue of Unity (and may never have seen the finished product in the flesh) have very little connection to it on any deep level, it was a just one contract among many. A more prestigious contract sure but not something that is theirs. I am of course arguing from a position that these sites were socially inclusive not exclusive, they were there for everyone not fancy architecture for an elite. Again the populations do not seem to be large enough for what I call the Cecil B. DeMille model, an elite ordering a second tier of enforcers to force the lower classes to labour for them. That's a later more "civilised" aberration that we now know the Egyptians didn't use even though they could have (I blame that Classical lot personally..). Gonna leave it there or I'll start adding in tangents and more speculations. One last anecdote, a cautionary tale about not believing the presented image of how these things were done; a very respected archaeologist who I have worked for (hence knowing the story) gets a phone call from a researcher for a new TV reconstruction of How They Built Stonehenge. "How do you think they managed to move the really big stones?" "Oh that's easy, oxen they're very strong" "No that's impossible" "What? One of the oldest things at Stonehenge is an ox skull in the ditch, we know they had them" "No, no we can't use oxen, our insurance would never cover it, we can only afford undergraduates" "oh....oh dear".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was playing workers and resources recently and I think, peculiarly, that my favourite version of neoclassicism is actually stalinka style.

It wouldn't look out of place in any part of the world I think, and it seems to go lighter on the loving columns everywhere and massive porticos, which are the main thing I don't like about neoclassicism.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol Yodel is the rebrand. They used to be HDNL.
Maybe its time they rebranded again.

A housemate of mine at uni ordered a brand new PlayStation, to be delivered by Yodel. The driver must have literally thrown it onto the wet grass in front of the house because when he got it inside the packaging was torn to shreds and soaked through. He ended up having to use a hairdryer to dry everything off and thankfully when he plugged it in it did work, but loving hell lol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

putting a brick on the accelerator pedal so I can drive by your house and goal kick the package at your door, a happy accident for me that you opened the door at that moment to check if I was coming and take the box to the face

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think I've earned points with many of the delivery people in this area because I've usually seen them coming and am at the door before they have to ring the bell.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

does your horn not need replacing from all the blowing?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My dog hates all the deliveryfolx, but I hope they appreciate that I shut her into the front room before opening the door, so that they don't get an affronted ankle-snuffling

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
When I lived in rural France chronopost, who seemed to be the default local delivery for anything sent from the UK, were loving dire.

The delivery would be scheduled, I'd be in all day literally with the front door open and a view over the hills for miles around. It would get to 5pm and bam the online tracker would update to say they'd tried to deliver and I wasn't home. The same thing three days in a row and then it would get returned to sender (in theory). Every loving time. The guy just would not deliver to me and there was no avenue to complain or resolve the issue.

I fantasised about finding that guy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Chronoposting sounds probateable

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In uni when my laptop had to be sent to be repaired the fixed laptop delivery kept "missing" me despite me waiting at home with nothing to do, so for the "last chance" delivery I sat beside the front door for the entire delivery window. Half-way through a "sorry we missed you" slip flies through the mailbox and I jumped up and opened the door to find the delivery guy running back to his van 30 metres down the street.

I yelled "OI, I AM HOME" and I just saw him slump his shoulders in dismay, before going to his van and fetching the loving laptop he'd never gotten out in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
On the topic of deliveries I am getting right hosed off with the postie insisting on handing my packages to my neighbours rather than just giving me a note to pick them up from the depot a 10 min walk from my flat. My neighbours are kinda weird and constantly seem to be yelling at each other and they're always playing a weirdly incongruous mixture of both Irish rebel and royalist/unionist songs (???) at 5am midweek. I don't really want them to have my stuff!

It's just a bit awkward for me but some people will have Neighbours From Hell and it seems dumb that it's just standard practice to trust everyone to look after each other's post all the time like that.