Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Cubone posted:

jesus christ.

I get the feeling this is going to get Vince killed somehow. I don't think the Saudis are very impressed with a geriatric steroid addict with mental problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I get the feeling this is going to get Vince killed somehow. I don't think the Saudis are very impressed with a geriatric steroid addict with mental problems.

vince will win and become the new crown prince

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Suddenly it all makes sense

Lmao

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The Saudi's to any employee independent contractor that threatens to quit and join AEW.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

they might be

this is like the 11th thing that's hosed up about this, but somebody in the saudi royal family is a huge money mark for wwe, and whoever it is also seems to have stopped watching in like... 1997?
when they hosted "The Greatest Royal Rumble", the saudis specifically requested that Yokozuna show up. Yokozuna hadn't been on wwe t.v. for 22 years, mostly because he'd been dead for 18 of them. so wwe just flew in some random sumo wrestler who kinda looked like him and got him in and out as quick as possible
and it's been pretty much that ever since. every year the saudis shell out hundreds of millions of dollars for wwe to wheel out and concuss a confused elderly man (usually bill goldberg) because whatever powerful probable murderer is making the call saw him on t.v. two to three decades ago

*allegedly allegedly allegedly

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Jamesman posted:

The Saudi's to any employee independent contractor that threatens to quit and join AEW.

:vince:

shomakkaa
Apr 5, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cubone posted:

they might be

this is like the 11th thing that's hosed up about this, but somebody in the saudi royal family is a huge money mark for wwe, and whoever it is also seems to have stopped watching in like... 1997?
when they hosted "The Greatest Royal Rumble", the saudis specifically requested that Yokozuna show up. Yokozuna hadn't been on wwe t.v. for 22 years, mostly because he'd been dead for 18 of them. so wwe just flew in some random sumo wrestler who kinda looked like him and got him in and out as quick as possible
and it's been pretty much that ever since. every year the saudis shell out hundreds of millions of dollars for wwe to wheel out and concuss a confused elderly man (usually bill goldberg) because whatever powerful probable murderer is making the call saw him on t.v. two to three decades ago

*allegedly allegedly allegedly

So, money laundering then.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What’s going on now? I haven’t followed wrestling since like 2002

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

They resurrected Ox Baker and he killed Triple H and Vince and married Stephanie, now he owns WWE.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Demon Of The Fall posted:

- Vince McMahon runs WWE for decades. As time went on and he got older, his handling of the company became increasingly worse on the creative side, though the company has continued to make money. Several years ago, he started a partnership with Saudi Arabia where they would give him a fuckton of money to do various PPVs there a year and talk up how progressive Saudi Arabia is. This included a show done a week or so after that one journalist got horribly murdered by the Saudi government.

- Vince's son-in-law Triple H appeared to be on his way to taking over for Vince one day. Then a new promotion called AEW started up and WWE decided to go head-to-head against them with their developmental brand NXT. They wanted to crush AEW in its infancy. AEW won the war and Vince blamed Triple H. Vince took over all of creative, replaced all of Triple H's corporate goons with his own and the whole thing caused Triple H to have a heart attack and basically go off the radar for a while. Vince also fired his son Shane (who was behind what is considered the worst Royal Rumble of all time) and Stephanie "voluntarily stepped down."

- As Vince continued to turn WWE into an incoherent mess and his second-in-command Nick Khan kept firing people by the dozen despite their record profits, news got out that Vince had been having affairs with staff members for years. More importantly -- to the company, at least -- he was using WWE's funds as hush money. An investigation was opened and it was decided that it would be better for everyone if Vince simply retired. And so he did.

- Triple H and Stephanie took over and apparently the show, while not GOOD, became coherent now that it isn't run by a maniac. People who were fired but haven't been picked up by AEW have been gradually trickling back in.

- One day, Vince decides, "gently caress it, I'm back!" The board of directors insisted he not return because he was still under investigation, but he has all the stocks and he can do whatever he wants. Within days, Stephanie resigns again. Everyone believes that Vince is going to sell the company, which raises questions on who could be interested while having the money to pull it off. Right now the rumors are that Saudi Arabia has purchased WWE. If that's true, then holy poo poo.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Gavok posted:

who could be interested while having the money to pull it off

🎵 when it comes crashing down and it hurts inside.... 🎵

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

thank you. some of this sounds familiar, but that is all a big lol indeed

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Looking forward to Billy Gunn introducing The Acclaimed to their new member, his “brother from another mother”, Uncle rear end, then HHH’s music hits

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

So happy to see all the legacy posters return to this thread, as well as some new faces. Once again Vince has brought us all together.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

haa, last year read this thread quite abit now coming back I see this poo poo with the Saudis and Vince momentarily stepping down wtf

I wonder who will die first Vince or Trump

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Renreeja posted:

haa, last year read this thread quite abit now coming back I see this poo poo with the Saudis and Vince momentarily stepping down wtf

I wonder who will die first Vince or Trump

vince will never die

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Iron Sheik packs his Persian clubs with C4, martyrs himself and takes out Vince and the Saudi Royals in the name of Shia. Vince appears on top of the Kaaba and does the McMahon strut. Greatest work ever.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

man i loved akeem as a kid lol

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

man i loved akeem as a kid lol

I wouldn’t have known he was basically an insult to Dusty Rhodes if I hadn’t read it somewhere.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

What's in this for the Saudis? Or they just huge marks?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Whenever you fill up your car in the future, you’re the money mark.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bonzo posted:

Maybe they could see it as an in to American media but realistically it's someone with way too much time and money going "I want to see Macho Man fight Hulk again!"

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I have friends who like wrestling and they saw AEW is better in every way. What’s that s thread’s consensus?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
So

we havent got any conformation or even further info

apart from that one tweet

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

N. Senada posted:

I have friends who like wrestling and they saw AEW is better in every way. What’s that s thread’s consensus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-_NjnkMRk

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I wonder if Vince had pitched Commissioner Trump yet?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
General Bullshit › BAW GAWD VINCE JUST KILLED WWE! HE KILLED IT!

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bonzo posted:

they're super big into sportswashing / soft power PR at the moment, alongside I think a bit of bread-and-circuses after the Arab Spring, as well as a bunch of pan-Arab dickwaving

they've paid to have a bunch of boxing title fights in Jeddah; they've paid for an F1 race; they've bought out Newcastle United; they've given Greg Norman about a billion dollars to start a competing golf tour; and they've just paid Cristiano Ronaldo about eight times as much as any other player on the planet to go be old at some garbage-tier Saudi club

meanwhile Qatar literally bought the World Cup (please see the gangtag for questions already answered by the gangtag), so the WWE stuff is pretty much small potatoes and you should fully expect some of the worst countries on the planet actively outbidding each other to have a soulless garbage Olympics in the desert in the very near future

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

N. Senada posted:

Maybe not in every way but AEW is definitely better. Up until recently I would have said that WWE at least had better sound production because AEW's was abysmal, especially the crowd noise, but AEW recently hired the former protege of WWE's head producer Kevin Dunn. AEW's shows sound great now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
AEW's the new kid on the block with some old pros and worldwide talent that doesn't get hired and then told "ok, so your gimmick is that you have amnesia and also think it's 1952 go! Also your name? Dan Johnson won't fly! It's not the spectacular John Danson!"

They also haven't been around long enough to gently caress it all up but just wait!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

N. Senada posted:

That is correct. AEW is better than WWE in every way

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

N. Senada posted:

aew doesnt have vince its an inferior product

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

aew doesnt have vince its an inferior product

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Bonzo posted:

So, money laundering then.

Who in this transaction needs to launder money? It's chump change to the Saudis and having a foreign government pay you money for entertainment is legal in the US.
The Saudi Public Investment Fund has like $620B, so tossing $50M of that at a days entertainment is like someone making $620k spending $50 for a ticket to Disney World. The reprehensible poo poo that happens in order to create that wealth is legal there, so no need to launder anything.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Elephant Ambush posted:

That is correct. AEW is better than WWE in every way

WWE had a better women's division for a while, at least.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Piss Creep posted:

So

we havent got any conformation or even further info

apart from that one tweet

Apparently, while the Saudis haven't actually bought WWE, WWE is definitely looking to sell and Saudi Arabia seems to be the most likely buyer. Funny enough, Tony Khan and his dad are also potential buyers. Everyone agrees that having another wrestling monopoly would be terrible for everyone, but the situation is too funny that it might as well happen anyway.

N. Senada posted:

Absolutely.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
AEW does have Tony Khan though and he's like a post-Vince character, all the over the top bullshit but without the really creepy storylines

Also the wrestling on AEW is generally top tier and much more unique than WWE even tho the stories kinda suck sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

to contrast some of the opinions in this thread, AEW may be "not poo poo" and i definitely find it refreshing and likely to succeed; but when given the choice I'm watching old WWF stuff instead