Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

secular woods sex posted:

My employer was recently acquired by a smaller company that is still in VC funding mode.

What level of poo poo should I be expecting?

Edit: will be resume polishing

Honestly, it's mostly going to depend on the company and the VCs. My best professional experience was working for a company that was acquired by a private equity firm, they had the single most investment in the employees than I've ever seen.

Where the money is coming from matters way less than how it's used by management.

All that said, in any acquisition keep your eyes and ears open and bail if things look to be turning sour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The best employees always leave first. So if you see the top performers leave, gtfo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dik Hz posted:

The best employees always leave first. So if you see the top performers leave, gtfo.

This is generally good advice. Your situation could get better, or it could get worse, but all your indicators are going to be from peers and colleagues and happenings around the office.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tibalt posted:

I appreciate all the advice actually, and we've discussed a few of them like getting a short term micro office. I deal with a lot of HIPAA data and my wife is a therapist, so grabbing a cafe corner isn't a great idea. The noise cancelling headphones is honestly the easiest solution for now.
This is what I did and they've been a life saver. Wife and I have a small house and a kiddo that was born in June of 2020. We managed to both work full time with him in the house until he was almost 1.5 with zero outside help. Now that we're all vaccinated and numbers are (were) relatively low I'm going into the office 2 or 3 times a week just to get out of the damned house a bit. Unfortunately the office is far away and I have a pretty unique setup too so I feel less efficient at the office than I do at home*
* when the little guy is napping or out of the house, because now that he's 2.5 noise cancelling headphones dont keep him away

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Correction: The director-plus tier always leave first since they hear the new plans before the rest of you (or wrote the plans themselves), and then the top performers go. :v: If the rats are exiting the ship, start heading to the lifeboats now.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
So I'm still at my incredibly toxic job due to the decent salary. Still looking for a place to match.

Anyways I need help for a situation:

long story short, my boss is incredibly toxic and as a result our european team in France avoids him like the plague. They will do anything to avoid the crazy NYC american team with insane work culture.

Part of my responsibility was budget. They wanted to lock without my overbearing boss knowing, so they sent me an email saying they were going to lock budget and then email bombed me after so that I wouldn't see it. To just me, not my boss or anyone else. They sent it Dec 29th. Its now 1/11 lol, I didn't see that poo poo

I'm on an incredibly old email program called lotus notes on my work computer.

What glitch can I blame on not seeing the email? Any excuses that I can blame on my computer so I can get another paycheck while I keep looking for an easier role?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Holy poo poo lotus notes in tyool 2023

I don't have any input other than that

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Renegret posted:

man I used that at a job six years ago and it was old as hell *then*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I mean we probably found your solution right there OP. “Sorry lotus notes is all hosed up so the perfidious French were able to exploit it”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah it sounds like there's probably a needle to be threaded there to get the guy grumbling about those damned lazy French and forget OP had anything to do with it, maybe.

e: c/p from resume thread where OP originally posted:

I don't know that anyone can answer your question adequately without knowing a ton more about your boss, your IT department, and the general culture and political lay of the land.

You're concerned about being straight up fired over this? Have you been getting a bunch of written warnings and poo poo/are you on a PIP?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Also what kind of joint is letting a division lock their own budget without oversight lol

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Annual self reviews are coming up. Is it better to get flexible, or just go ahead and remove a rib? I am writing the review for the greatest employee in the company, after all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

Seriously I bailed out of that poo poo a decade ago and it was antique then.

Notes mail is a database pretending to be email. You can probably blame a hosed up agent on the Domino server if they have one of those hosting applications. If they're using Notes solely for email then that's probably a reason to quit with no notice on its own.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 12, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Annual self reviews are coming up. Is it better to get flexible, or just go ahead and remove a rib? I am writing the review for the greatest employee in the company, after all.

"My performance speaks for itself"

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have volunteered to get our team of 7 people a coffee maker. We've been without one for over 10 years now, and I'm tired of not having one. A quick survey of the team suggested that a K-cup machine would be sufficient. Would I be too cheap if I bought one of those [along with a bunch of K-cups]? Headquarters has a super fancy espresso maker they would be willing to spare for us, but it's a maintenance nightmare, and I didn't want to deal with it.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Do you want to be the doing maintenance and teaching people how to use it? If no to any, get k cup

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

I have volunteered to get our team of 7 people a coffee maker. We've been without one for over 10 years now, and I'm tired of not having one. A quick survey of the team suggested that a K-cup machine would be sufficient. Would I be too cheap if I bought one of those [along with a bunch of K-cups]? Headquarters has a super fancy espresso maker they would be willing to spare for us, but it's a maintenance nightmare, and I didn't want to deal with it.

An espresso machine is not the same thing as a coffee machine.

And honestly I'd rather have decent pre ground coffee out of a $15 drip coffee machine than a K cup of anything. But if they want k cups just do that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

K cups are good for office environments because people can just bring whatever weird flavors they want and you don't have to have Coffee Wars over brands/flavors/that one guy who wants decaf.

Downside (besides the lovely coffee, obviously) is they quickly get really nasty and are a pain in the rear end to clean properly and no one will ever do it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, my heart sank when (1) someone said K-cup and (2) another guy agreed enthusiastically. I am a moka pot guy who grinds his own beans. But I don't want to do maintenance, nor do I want to shove what I think is right down their throats, so K-cup it is.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I know a lot of folks who prefer those nespresso pods which seem slightly better than k cups for quality of coffee but I would still being my own aeropress anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When I last worked a job with no easy access to free coffee, I got one of those 8-cup glass-lined carafes you see in hotel lobbies, brewed a pot in the morning and took it with me that way. I don't actually like coffee, I just drink it to get caffeine in my bloodstream, so it was great for me. You can see why hotels like them so much, you can brew coffee and put it in the carafe at 7:00 AM and it will still be hot at 1:00 PM.

Now I just use K-cups because they're easy and, again, I don't actually like coffee.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

again, I don't actually like coffee.

jesus. gonna have to add coffee hating to subforum rules

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm willing to tolerate all you coffee loving freaks since you help provide me with easy access to caffeine

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I once got called a communist spy at work because I dont drink coffee.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I also don't like coffee

My new thing at work is loose leaf tea

My co-workers hate me, and rightly so, but I bribe them to not kill me with chocolate

Which I have plenty of, because I also don't like chocolate

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Get a Moccamaster

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Keurig format machines are also infamous for being a nonrecyclable waste nightmare.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Is there any other metric for salaried engineers other than utilization. It's not that 80% is terrible, it's just there's so much other stuff that 20% doesn't get to be used for something fun/useful like learning a new skill, organization(god imagine saying that is fun or useful!) or improving work processes/ fixing tech debt.

Also if there's no project to bill to, suddenly its my problem, not the pipeline's?

basically I'm complaining about how good life is because that's my metric. it just feels capricious and arbitrary at review time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah k cup is fine for the average person and as such is fine for the office. Coffee snobs will never be happy with whatever you bring in unless it's such a pain in the rear end setup that the general populace will get annoyed.

And I say this as a bring your own coffee weirdo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Keurig format machines are also infamous for being a nonrecyclable waste nightmare.

there are supposedly companies that recycle the pods.

you can also buy a metal pod you can load yourself with whatever you want - coffee, tea, monster energy powder or whatever

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there are supposedly companies that recycle the pods.

you can also buy a metal pod you can load yourself with whatever you want - coffee, tea, monster energy powder or whatever

Yeah I did this for a while, brought actual decent quality coffee and made it in the reusable pod. But then I realized I was wasting money on decent coffee because it still comes out of the Keurig pretty much tasteless.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I did this for a while, brought actual decent quality coffee and made it in the reusable pod. But then I realized I was wasting money on decent coffee because it still comes out of the Keurig pretty much tasteless.

Oh yeah I don't advocate doing it for taste purposes, value isn't there as you say. But it's more environmentally friendly if you care about that and you can buy crap and put it in there to save money!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vaporware posted:

Is there any other metric for salaried engineers other than utilization. It's not that 80% is terrible, it's just there's so much other stuff that 20% doesn't get to be used for something fun/useful like learning a new skill, organization(god imagine saying that is fun or useful!) or improving work processes/ fixing tech debt.

Also if there's no project to bill to, suddenly its my problem, not the pipeline's?

basically I'm complaining about how good life is because that's my metric. it just feels capricious and arbitrary at review time.

Utilization is a terrible individual metric except when it’s not, but in those cases there are always other issues.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our office coffee machine is now a relic of the pre-Covid times the person who made the coffee in the morning got promoted to a different location and nobody wants to make it now. The coffee enjoying people like me brought in their own equipment while several politically savvy employees got small k-cup machines, which anyone is free to use. They get great foot traffic and gossip while the coffee brews.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
K-cup machines avoid the drama with taking the last cup and not making a new pot.

I am also on team tea, I will use the machine for hot water if that's all that is available, but hate that it makes my tea taste like coffee.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guy Axlerod posted:

K-cup machines avoid the drama with taking the last cup and not making a new pot.

I am also on team tea, I will use the machine for hot water if that's all that is available, but hate that it makes my tea taste like coffee.

K-Cups are also the worst coffee period.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They also don't get the water hot enough for proper tea. Always a letdown in every way. You're better off just nuking water for tea.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Vaporware posted:

Utilization is just a metric that managers can point to and justify ~*whatever*~

I consistently beat my utilization goal by 10+% in consulting and saw zero yield in terms of advancement or compensation - just a thumbs up and no demerits. You'd better believe that if I was 10% under I'd have to justify it come review time.

Now I'm on the owner side and the department goal is an absolutely untenable 90% utilization, a goal so unrealistic for engineering design work that I don't believe anyone actually tries to hit it

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, my offices have either a hot water dispenser or a kettle. Or I just bring it in from home with my Zojirushi bottle. I burned my mouth with tea made the day before that was kept in that bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Tea drinker, I've never actually consumed an entire cup of coffee. My WFH setup has an electric kettle next to me with a diffuser so I load up my loose leaf and I'm good for the whole morning.

As a tea drinker its very important that I let my coworkers know frequently that I don't drink coffee.