Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Timby posted:

I can't imagine they come close to professional wrestlers / boxers / MMA fighters.

John Cena is fluent in mandarin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
absolutely shocking that baseball, a game that historically has been known for all the professional players being weird dudes to varying degrees, is full of big dummies

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

camoseven posted:

John Cena is fluent in mandarin

Right after 9/11 Jim Cornette went on a rant in the middle of the ring about how we should just glass the middle east and not care about their women or children because they don't care about our women and children and Cena was the only one who looked disgusted. Meanwhile Lesnar was clapping like crazy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins traded SS Miguel Rojas (who had been the team captain for several years, for some reason) to the Dodgers for Jacob Amaya

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Timby posted:

I can't imagine they come close to professional wrestlers / boxers / MMA fighters.

I feel like pro wrestlers who have come up in the last 15 years come across as generally well-spoken, more on the right side of cultural issues, and seem to have better maturity in separating themselves irl from their on-screen characters. That said, attitude era guys all praise Kane as the "smartest guy in the locker room" and if that's true, then yikes.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins traded SS Miguel Rojas (who had been the team captain for several years, for some reason) to the Dodgers for Jacob Amaya
I wonder if, probably easier before analytics, anyone would designate a guy a captain just for the purpose of inflating his trade value to GMs who would buy that poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I wonder if, probably easier before analytics, anyone would designate a guy a captain just for the purpose of inflating his trade value to GMs who would buy that poo poo.
It's dumber than that. When Jeter came in with the new ownership the first 'big' move they made was to sign Rojas to an extension. This is a guy who has never been anything more than a bench bat, but in Miami he mostly started while he was here, and for a long time he was the longest tenured Marlin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guy whose nickname is The Captain: You know what this team needs

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Intruder posted:

you have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket

… a Jose Canseco bat?

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The pitcher the Oakland A's signed is so interesting. Was one of the best pitchers in NPB, then threw 166 pitches in a game, lost all of his control, and is now ???

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reminds me of Wade Miley. Hinch kept him in trying to preserve a no hitter even though he was clearly gassed and he had a dead arm for a year and a half after that

Eventually became good again for a season and is now ???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Wade Miley, he invented a career saving pitch on the mound mid-game and probably listens to skynyrd

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I liked Miley while he was here, it was a bummer to watch him crash and burn because Hinch had to get that nono

Dusty on the other hand was fine pulling Javier in the world series and letting it be a combined nono. Miley looked completey used up in the 9th of that game then never recovered

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers solution at shortstop is..... Miguel Rojas, who they traded away in 2014

What the gently caress is the plan here? Really feels like they have abandoned the quest to build the best team they can and are now settling in to "well there's 12 postseason spots so win 90-ish games and take our chances"

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers solution at shortstop is..... Miguel Rojas, who they traded away in 2014

What the gently caress is the plan here? Really feels like they have abandoned the quest to build the best team they can and are now settling in to "well there's 12 postseason spots so win 90-ish games and take our chances"

building the best team did not bring them enough titles or pennants so why not just pay less and settle for the lottery ticket

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Intruder posted:

I liked Miley while he was here, it was a bummer to watch him crash and burn because Hinch had to get that nono

Dusty on the other hand was fine pulling Javier in the world series and letting it be a combined nono. Miley looked completey used up in the 9th of that game then never recovered

As much as I support making GBS threads on the Astros that narrative sounds like bullshit, I bet Miley drat near forced Hinch's hand and it wasn't aw shucks, another inning skip, really?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

SilvergunSuperman posted:

As much as I support making GBS threads on the Astros that narrative sounds like bullshit, I bet Miley drat near forced Hinch's hand and it wasn't aw shucks, another inning skip, really?

I'm sure Wade Miley was not arguing to be taken out but it is the manager's job to realize when he has to make that decision for him and Hinch did not

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

They're trying to reset the luxury tax penalty, so they're not going to spend at all.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

They're trying to reset the luxury tax penalty, so they're not going to spend at all.

I thought that was out the window now that they're on the hook for Bauer

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes, if you crunch the numbers as Eric Stephen did, it becomes clear the Dodgers are going to be just over the tax this year. To get under they’d need to shed salary in trade, by moving valuable pieces or dumping good prospects along with bad money. Both options make the team worse so the rich fucks who own the team need to suck it up and pay for their Bauer mistake.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Yes, if you crunch the numbers as Eric Stephen did, it becomes clear the Dodgers are going to be just over the tax this year. To get under they’d need to shed salary in trade, by moving valuable pieces or dumping good prospects along with bad money. Both options make the team worse so the rich fucks who own the team need to suck it up and pay for their Bauer mistake.
It is kind of amusing that they're scared of paying a Repeater Penalty given that the team is owned by at least two multi-billionaires.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hand Row posted:

One of my greatest in person fan moments was seeing a Russell Branyan moonshot that went into the upper deck. And it was a freaking foul ball but it was so majestic the entire crowd was in awe.

I got to see Longo on the Giants hit one to Waveland last year :unsmith:

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

elentar posted:

building the best team did not bring them enough titles or pennants so why not just pay less and settle for the lottery ticket

this seems to be the strategy. let the kids play. they’re hungry and they give a drat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blind Pineapple posted:

I feel like pro wrestlers who have come up in the last 15 years come across as generally well-spoken, more on the right side of cultural issues, and seem to have better maturity in separating themselves irl from their on-screen characters. That said, attitude era guys all praise Kane as the "smartest guy in the locker room" and if that's true, then yikes.

Yeah I dunno. As you said Kane was held up as some kind of savant by most of your favorite wrestlers and Jericho is the most respected guy in wrestling right now and he’s a church conspiracy moron who’s wife was at Jan 6th. And there’s a bunch of wrestlers turned Fox News hosts. So probably best to not get your hopes up about the group of athletes who specialize on head blows and carny behavior. My guess is at best you’d get a lot of libertarians.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Your examples are pretty specifically guys that didn't come up in the last 15 years

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe this latest generation is better. Obviously there always some progress and things have generally gotten better but I mean wrestling just had its Speaking Out movement and we could probably put together a list of bad behavior from them. So I wouldn’t look for any heroes any more than any sport or set of celebrities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1613360003351552000

Yeah it's "half these guys don't play RF"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Saying someone who doesn't share the same views on things as you is on the "wrong side" of issues isn't really a great way to say that IMO.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 12, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They are if they're libertarians

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

more falafel please posted:

Yeah they have spent and spent and spent and now they are doing exactly what you said. And next year who wants to bet against them signing Ohtani? Fans are funny sometimes. You know they will pull 2 pitchers out of thin air and win the division again.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Right after 9/11 Jim Cornette went on a rant in the middle of the ring about how we should just glass the middle east and not care about their women or children because they don't care about our women and children and Cena was the only one who looked disgusted. Meanwhile Lesnar was clapping like crazy

Lesnar is from South Dakota and was discharged from his Army Reserve office job because he can't type. He is, however, an NRA shill. I think even as athletes go, he's probably an extra special case.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm sure Wade Miley was not arguing to be taken out but it is the manager's job to realize when he has to make that decision for him and Hinch did not

Hinch doesn't have a great history of decision-making.

https://twitter.com/fuzzyfromyt/status/1613367728349544448

This is like a Van Halen fan naming their kid Sammy.

Red fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 12, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lesner like lives in a cabin in the woods and hides from all society with his guns except when he comes out to make more millions for as little work as possible.

So he's probably both a special nutbag case and also kind of relatable.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Doesn't he live in Saskatchewan now and farm and hunt?

Maybe he's on the board of his local CO-OP or Credit Union now.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Caring about my teams player’s opinions because I don’t already have enough things to be pissed off about all the time.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Doesn't he live in Saskatchewan now and farm and hunt?

Ya i thought he was a prepper living in podunk Saskatchewan.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

I was going to say that with the obvious caveat that they should have paid Turner/Correa/Bogaerts that Rojas seemed like not the worst move but I didn't realize he was 33 and that he fell off so hard last year, I thought he was still a ~90 wRC+ guy and LA thought they could unlock some more.

Yeesh.

(Then again the Yankees are running IKF out there so glass houses and all.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean IKF feels like he's basically holding down a bench spot/insurance net for Volpe/Peraza not working out, Donaldson/Rizzo/DJLM falling apart, and Cabrera having to man LF.

If he's the starting SS in the Yankee lineup for more than a game here or there something's gone wrong.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I mean IKF feels like he's basically holding down a bench spot/insurance net for Volpe/Peraza not working out, Donaldson/Rizzo/DJLM falling apart, and Cabrera having to man LF.

If he's the starting SS in the Yankee lineup for more than a game here or there something's gone wrong.

I remember saying the same thing about Rougned Odor.

EDIT: Also I guess the Rojas trade is more confusing because it seems like Amaya is the same dude, just a decade younger? Figured they would just run him out there and see what's up if they really wanted a non-Lux SS (which I do definitely understand.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
in predictable news, the city of Oakland didn't get money critical to building a stadium and the league is cool with a no fee relocation to Vegas. thank you John Fisher