Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Jyrraeth posted:

Do I need to oil a pau ferro fretboard? Also do I need to do anything special to clean it?

I'm not a big fan of tone gunk on my strings, and I know of "bass string tea" (boiling). Is there much to it? I'm content changing strings but also I haven't been playing a lot thanks to dumb rib pain so I'd rather save the $$$.

if it gets dry mineral oil will do the trick. as far as boiling strings, i've never tried it so i'll defer to more experienced people, but i'd personally rather just get a new set, but I also use super bright rear end strings as a rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jyrraeth posted:

Do I need to oil a pau ferro fretboard? Also do I need to do anything special to clean it?

I'm not a big fan of tone gunk on my strings, and I know of "bass string tea" (boiling). Is there much to it? I'm content changing strings but also I haven't been playing a lot thanks to dumb rib pain so I'd rather save the $$$.

Lemon oil, not the actual oil, but like the Dunlop branded lemon oil which actually isn't lemon oil, would probably do just fine if you live in a dry climate. Or if you just want to shine it up, do not use actual lemon oil.

Whatever cleaner or oil you use remember to apply the solvent/oil to the rag you're using and not directly onto the fretboard.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Maybe once a month I clean my strings and fingerboard with a little rubbing alcohol on a rag. Don’t get it on the paint/finish.

Wiping down with a dry microfiber cloth after playing will let you go longer between chemical cleanings.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

muike posted:

if it gets dry mineral oil will do the trick. as far as boiling strings, i've never tried it so i'll defer to more experienced people, but i'd personally rather just get a new set, but I also use super bright rear end strings as a rule
Yeah, I haven't heard of boiling strings in years, but I'm definitely at the point in my life where I would just buy another set. Or switch to flats and never change them again.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think any unsealed wood fretboard should occasionally be oiled. Once a year should be plenty, less is probably fine, but never is not ideal. I use the F-One oil. A drop on each section, immediately rub it in with a microfiber cloth, let it sit for like 15 minutes and then go over it again with a dry cloth. It will just make it shiny at first but the color will darken over the next day or so as it fully absorbs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I have also read from a luthier book that tung oil and walnut oil are good for fingerboard wood. Both are "drying oils". I have a little bottle of some fancy-shmancy fingerboard cleaner that will probably last until I die so I haven't actually tung or walnut oil.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Went and held a jazz bass for a while today. I think I definitely prefer the feel of it even if I have no idea what I'm doing lol

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Framboise posted:

Went and held a jazz bass for a while today. I think I definitely prefer the feel of it even if I have no idea what I'm doing lol

Pretty sure jass or precision just determines the pickup configuration.

Body styles are all over the place though, and you may have stumbled upon something comfier/lighter/thinner/more appealing than other bases.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Theres neck differences and the jazz body is a little offset, feels a lot like a jazzmaster

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I have the thinnest production neck Jazz Bass (CiJ Geddy) that I gigged religiously for three years and this 2020 Mexican P-Bass is probably my fave to jam around on. I come from a guitar background so always figured the smallest neck would feel best but here I am happy as poo poo. I wanted that smoky yellow finish for my Matt Freenan fanboy-ism.

Had it for a while now and it just ticks the boxes of my basic punk and rock life. If I was to go back out playing again, I’d be dragging this thing along.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Thanks y'all on the care guides.

Is there anything different between the various oils? I just use regular mineral oil from the pharmacy department on my guitar's fretboard and as far as I can tell its similar to all the others? My guitar's fretboard has a finish so I didn't think twice.

I'll just wipe my strings and get a new pack when my body lets me play bass again. I love the super bright new string clangyness.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would just get whatever the cheapest mineral oil one is, none of the fancier stuff is gonna be worth the price tag, I imagine. some have lemon scent added, which is why it's usually referred to by musicians as "lemon oil"

e: i guess it comes over from woodworking as well! just make sure you don't use actual "lemon oil" like oil from a lemon

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Boiling springs can weaken and dull them after a couple cycles, plus it absolutely reeks and can ruin the pot you do it in.

An alternative version I've seen is capping the bottom of a pvc tube and filling it with denatured alcohol, then basically hanging the strings inside of that from a screw on cap on the top.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Returned my P-bass to Sweetwater, once the J-bass is in stock, it is mine. This be the one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassCV703TS--squier-classic-vibe-70s-jazz-bass-3-tone-sunburst

The wait is kinda painful, I've been itching to pick it up and start learning.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Framboise posted:

Returned my P-bass to Sweetwater, once the J-bass is in stock, it is mine. This be the one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassCV703TS--squier-classic-vibe-70s-jazz-bass-3-tone-sunburst

The wait is kinda painful, I've been itching to pick it up and start learning.

That's what I have, and as I said before, I love love LOVE it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have the five string version of that with the natural finish. It's very solid out of the box but sounds like a million bucks once you change the pickups.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
finally got my hands on one of the original Peavey Grind basses and it's insane how different they are from the post viet-nam made ones. so much better.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

That's what I have, and as I said before, I love love LOVE it.

Still waiting for mine. Talked to customer service today for an update and they said it may not be until closer to the end of this month :sigh:

I just wanna make everything in my office rattle again.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Framboise posted:

Still waiting for mine. Talked to customer service today for an update and they said it may not be until closer to the end of this month :sigh:

I just wanna make everything in my office rattle again.

I waited 10 months for my Ibanez.. you'll make it, I swear! And it'll be even sweeter when it does show up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Boiling strings worksASTERISK. It will brighten dull strings to somewhere in the neighborhood of where they were when they were new. It will foul the water you boil them in, but if you used a pan made out of metal that isn't non-stick, then just spend $1 on some generic soapy steel wool pads and clean your pan. ASTERISK: If you've removed and reinstalled you're going to have an increased chance of breakage because you're bending them where they were previously bent and then applying a bunch of tension. I have only boiled strings a couple of times--mainly just to see if it worked--and I ended up breaking some of those strings while playing.

Anyway... I have a question.

For my birthday, my wife got me the Zoom B3n. This is a neat little multi-effects unit that I'm going to use to replace my B1Xon for jam sessions and gigs with extremely limited floor space (when there's no room for my main pedal board). The effects are pretty good and the unit is actually physically solid, something I can't say for the B1Xon. And, you can turn on and off individual effects in a patch (with limitations), which is a huge improvement over the older unit--no more creating nearly identical patches and switching between them. Yay!

Anyway, to my question. One thing I've been having a lot of fun with in the Zoom is their simulation of the MXR Bass DI+. I love the sound of this DI driver. It also has sims of a Dark Glass pedal and of course the SansAmp, and they're fun, but I love that on the MXR, I can turn the grit on and off. It colors the "dry" tone when you turn the effect on, emphasizing the clicks and the clacks in a way I like, and then you can hit another switch and turn on however much grit you please, from the standard DI-box-gain to flat-out distortion.

I've watched some videos (no, not on my phone) and, honestly, I like the tone of this pedal over the SansAmp. I will probably not be using it as a DI most of the time, as I'll almost certainly put my modulation effects after this one. I think I could probably replace my Deluxe Bass Big Muff with the MXR because it gets plenty dirty and distorted if I want, just like the Muff. But, one thing the Muff struggles with is that drive sound that really only rears its head on the attacks. It's harder sounding than overdrive, but it works like an overdrive in that way.

Anyone have experience with this pedal? It's shockingly affordable for how good it sounds.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Buying used instruments :eng101:

So I bought a used '14 MIM arctic white Jazz with a maple neck in dirty condition over the holidays. Visually it looked good, minor dings, slight buckle rash, corrosion of some hardware, straight neck, high action, but with a working truss rod. More or less what I expect played instruments to look like when not taken care of, but not to the point I wouldn't be interested in purchasing it. The price was on the low end of the spectrum but the issues all looked relatively minor jobs to fix.

However a couple things were raising some eyebrows during the transaction. The neck backplate was curiously labelled Squire, the owners story was that they liked the backplate to be engraved and the previous one wasn't engraved so they swapped it. I know MIM of the same vintage have chrome blanks because I also own another MIM instrument which are either blank or say CE on them. I will check the neck pocket to ensure the story matches reality so I'm not too worried atm. When looking up the serial number off the neck the specs matched the bass I was looking at so I had some confidence in the story at hand here. The previous owner had replaced the original bridge with a Fender branded high mass bridge, that's a plus for me.

I didn't bring an amp, and they no longer had an amp so I had to take his word that it played fine (more on this later). He had some new EB strings of unknown vintage still in the package I could have for free, so I took them because why not.

Cosmetically it was in good condition, but it was dirty, so dirty. The pickguard was warping, and it looked like the previous owner was storing additional picks under the pickguard during shows, why. The skunk stripe was ever so slightly protruding to the touch, but it was still firm when I flexed the neck so to me it was a non issue. Fixing the skunk stripe can get dicey, and be expensive, so buyer beware.

So I bought it :retrogames:

Onto the cleaning and fixing;

Fixing the pickguard was easy, heat it up and flatten it out. I only had to do this once and its very flat now, not new flat but close enough. No more storing picks under the pickguard, we don't do that here.

The fretboard is covered in lacquer so none of the tone grime will stay. The frets have been played, but not to the point of needing more than a polish. No recrowning work today.

The screw hardware is all corroded, I don't want to deal with screw heads breaking in the future so I just opted to replace them because they are very cheap.

The skunk stripe needed to be lightly sanded, I sanded the protrusion with 600/1200/2000. Now it's totally flush and fine, slightly different texture on about 1/4" on the bottom side of the stripe.

I cleaned the pickups that had lots of grime and corrosion on the pole pieces. Without unwiring them I took them out and placed them upside down with a shop vac basically on the pole pieces as I I used a pencil eraser to get rid of the surface corrosion, and then lightly sanded off the rest that I could within reason. They aren't buffed and shiny but not rusted and grimy like before.

I checked the wiring, and it looked okay, all the pots were from Korea. I used contact cleaner to clean them out. One turned a bit more freely than the rest here :catstare:

I replaced the chrome neck plate with an engraved F plate for $15. In doing so I checked the pocket and the story about the backplate turned out to be true. I wasn't that worried because I met them at their residence so I know where they live if they sold me some partscaster kind of instrument. It's nice that people are honest, at least sometimes.

Onto playing it, it felt great to play but the bridge pickup was very quiet :catstare: Not dead, but quiet, definitely not fine. I checked with the multimeter, bridge measured 6.7k ohms, the neck was 6.2k ohms, both consistent values. This is very good, no open coil or other pickup repair shenanigans. Looking at the wiring in more detail now, no cold solder joints everything looked okay (ground was run using the chrome baseplate here). Checking the multimeter read off the input jack, I checked the ohms off the volume pots individually while turning them. The bridge pot, the freely moving one, had nearly the same same value read the entire time, consistent with being nearly turned off with an ever so slight change. The likely culprit is the pot being bad, the wiper makes almost no contact it seems.

So we're off to the guitar store, I grab a new 250k CTS pot ($7) and wire it up. Now the volume issue has been fixed, and I ran a proper ground wire across the pots. I do a quick setup with that new pack of unknown vintage EB strings and get to the playing, it sounds very, very good.

All in all, I got a moderately played and gigged Jazz priced at the price of a new Squire classic vibe. Granted I had to spend an extra $12 (+ $15 for the chrome backplate) fixing it. It came with an okay condition wood hardcase, and a fender himass bridge. I still want to replace the strap buttons with locking ones but that would happen regardless. I think I came out okay here, the pot being bad was a surprise but relatively minor and cheap to fix.

Post fix/cleanings Jazz

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 10, 2023

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't see someone faking a Fender by using a Fender neck with a Squier neck plate. If they are going to the trouble to replace the logo on the headstock, they'd probably toss in a cheap neck plate as well.

It's good to hear that the purchase worked out so far. Have you dealt with the action and intonation yet?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Welp broke down and decided to get serious about tone chasing and placed the order. These things get expensive fast.

Any tips on routing outside of whats available on whatever ai generated SEO optimized articles?

One thing I want to do is use the comp sc input via whatever and not worry about octave/synth tracking the ducks, so…putting it in real late in the chain. Also the synth has one control input but Im getting both a tap tempo switch and expression pedal, and I think a non buffered A/B switch should be fine.

So yeah, routing advise or just generally tell me how wrong I am with this thinking

https://i.imgur.com/e3GSU9e.png

Idk iOS awful app seems to have removed insert bbcode stuff sorry.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Do any of you guys bother to keep a pedal board for bass? I was considering breaking down and storing my board from my guitar tone chasing days and was trying to brain storm which pedals would be worth keeping out and messing around with for fun, or if I should just pack them all away for a rainy day.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I keep a pedal board. It's pretty common to do so.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

While they're out, give them all a try anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8NzQF_GvWE

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It just seems like bass pedal board discussion begins and ends with compressor, overdrive, and (insert third pedal here. Usually eq, chorus, or octaver) if it isn't nipped in the bud with "just run DI anyways." Maybe it's just the guilt of how much money I spent tone chasing, yet don't want to get rid of duplicates because the temptation to Chris Squire it is high since I could, but not necessarily should, do it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I suck at bass but have a compressor, Bass Big Muff, Bass Soul Food and EQ.

They sound good enough on guitar too so don't even bother to swap them out

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There's a bass specific Soul Food? I have the guitar one and also the Crayon and I'm mostly certain there's no functional difference between them other than the Crayon has a prettier case. I'm nowhere near the board atm, so I'm going in circles questioning things like the utility of a tremolo and phaser or a fuzz pedal. The only thing set in stone is I have to have a noise gate; yay for LED dimmer electrical interference.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

It just seems like bass pedal board discussion begins and ends with compressor, overdrive, and (insert third pedal here. Usually eq, chorus, or octaver) if it isn't nipped in the bud with "just run DI anyways." Maybe it's just the guilt of how much money I spent tone chasing, yet don't want to get rid of duplicates because the temptation to Justin Chancellor it is high since I could, but not necessarily should, do it.

Fixed that for you. Bass pedal boards get a lot more complex and interesting when you're dealing with multiple amps/signal chains to cover a bunch of different tones in any given song.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Fixed that for you. Bass pedal boards get a lot more complex and interesting when you're dealing with multiple amps/signal chains to cover a bunch of different tones in any given song.

I guess that can be accomplished without needing to abuse the stereo function of a Ric, which is what I was thinking of.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I DI to our PA with a boss GT-6b. Enough modeling that I can control the tone and all of the standard boss bass effects packed into one pedal board has made set up and tear down so much nicer.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Turbinosamente posted:

There's a bass specific Soul Food? I have the guitar one and also the Crayon and I'm mostly certain there's no functional difference between them other than the Crayon has a prettier case. I'm nowhere near the board atm, so I'm going in circles questioning things like the utility of a tremolo and phaser or a fuzz pedal. The only thing set in stone is I have to have a noise gate; yay for LED dimmer electrical interference.

Yeah, I bought one for guitar then got a €100 amazon voucher from work, had no idea what to spend it on, then saw a bass soul food for €98.

Bass has an extra knob for blending dry and wet tone as well as a switch to adjust for higher output instruments. Sounds good enough on guitar too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fmd2lYOqg

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Regarding pedals, I use 3, being a tuner, compressor and dark glass (specific moments/genres)

You will always need a tuner, whether clip on or through your signal chain somewhere. Apart from the tuner it really depends on what you're going for. The compressor is very subjective to some players (:qq: but what about my tone dynamics) but if you ever go through a soundboard they will slap compression on you no matter what so might as well get it consistent the way you like it. In general the less complex the signal chain the less you have to worry about live.

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, I don't see someone faking a Fender by using a Fender neck with a Squier neck plate. If they are going to the trouble to replace the logo on the headstock, they'd probably toss in a cheap neck plate as well.

It's good to hear that the purchase worked out so far. Have you dealt with the action and intonation yet?

Yeah it's all sorted and good.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Turbinosamente posted:

I guess that can be accomplished without needing to abuse the stereo function of a Ric, which is what I was thinking of.

But that’s the fun way, and you get separate volume and tone for the bridge pickup,which is the only time I even use the bridge pickup on a bass.

I tend to keep a bass setup apart from guitar. Different chorus, different fuzz. No compressor. Ouroboros pedal if I’m bi-amping a mono bass.

Also need to find some sort of boost for my EB-2 or just give up on it. It has much less volume than my other basses, and I like to leave the amp volume alone. Maybe the pickups need to be closer to the strings?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Drop pedal and tuner, but I just play in the dankness of my home office so.. (I also use bias FX if I'm feeling spicy).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
what do you guys consider the "standard" string gauge. like how for guitars it's usually 10s for gibson scale and and 9s for fender

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Probably 50-105 for a 4 string

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's here!

now to actually learn how to play the drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Framboise posted:

It's here!

now to actually learn how to play the drat thing

Nice, looking great!

Back to pedal chat quickly, has anyone here slapped ye olde Boss Blues Driver on their bass? I think it will do what I want from my hour of youtube research and I'm mightily tempted to sell the ehx Crayon for it. Also, thanks to the Carcosa Fuzz I am now able to cover lovely Sega Genesis songs should the need ever arise.