Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Gorgeous :lovebird:

:synpa: bad snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Now that's a lizard!!

Also has anyone been screwed with festival boxes? I'm getting them like 25% of the time from wb, harrowstorms, etc. Isn't it supposed to be a guaranteed drop?

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Trying to find a crown seller on Xbox so I can get that sweet Stone Eagle Aerie.

I understand why it's difficult, but ARGH. I'd still much rather throw fake ESO gold at it than RL dollarydoos.

Does anyone already have this cool house? Is it worth the frustration?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

:perfect:

1glitch0 posted:

Aso has anyone been screwed with festival boxes? I'm getting them like 25% of the time from wb, harrowstorms, etc. Isn't it supposed to be a guaranteed drop?

Only from turning in applicable daily quests, from my experience. Stop a Harrowstorm, WB, or Delve dailies have all given me them.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 22, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Plutonium
Jul 29, 2007

It must be the plutonium.
Hoping to grab a guild invite, NA.

@Plutonium239 - thanks!

DrZepam
Mar 15, 2021
Is the ESO Morrowind expansion nice ? i only want to play it for nostalgia reasons

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

DrZepam posted:

Is the ESO Morrowind expansion nice ? i only want to play it for nostalgia reasons

yes. you will get all the nostalgia. its my favorite zone.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
also don't miss the Clockwork City! both are great. I am not biased.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
ESO: Morrowind is how you think TES III: Morrowind is, I loved it. Clockwork city is my favourite zone, juust edging out Morrowind. Also not biased at all by enormous waves of nostalgia.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Hi, I’m playing without ESO+ but I want some armour that is apparently only found in in the Orsinium DLC. General consensus seems to be that the best way to get any DLC areas is just to get ESO+, because it’s just far greater value than buying individual chunks.

So I’m likely going to get ESO+ for one month and grind the Orsinium area for the armour that I want or that some internet guide tells me I want, I have no idea what I’m doing. Is there anything else I should focus on in that month in terms of ESO+ exclusive content? I can see myself getting a month’s sub every year or so just to grab some stuff, but there’s no chance I’m going to keep it going month to month so I want to make sure I get my best bang for my bucks.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly whenever I resub (which happens at least once a year, though I always get bored and cancel after a few months), ESO+ feels like an absolute requirement for the crafting bag.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PatentPending posted:

Hi, I’m playing without ESO+ but I want some armour that is apparently only found in in the Orsinium DLC. General consensus seems to be that the best way to get any DLC areas is just to get ESO+, because it’s just far greater value than buying individual chunks.
What armor do you want? I assume briarheart? You can get that on guild traders. Overland stuff is not too expensive now. Also, I would be weary of following a guide without knowing how the build is supposed to work. Gear matters, but skill matters more. A lot of gear, and skills, only really become effective when you synergize them correctly. If you care about min-maxing you should work on understanding how that works for your build. If you don't want to go that far then just worry about skills and rotation, that'll carry you through overland and even most normal content regardless of optimized gear.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yeah post the guide you're following, they're often off base in ways that are a waste of grind

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

or, on the flip side, they might be reaching for absolute perfection where a different build will get you 98% of the way there without any grind

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, it’s briarheart for a stamina warden (dual wield/bow/big chunky bear/throw birds at people).

If you can just buy stuff off the guild traders then great, problem solved. I’ve not really interacted with that system at all yet; I’m just treating this game as a Skyrim 2 for the most part, but I need to not be a total waste of space when I’m playing with my tryhard sister.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what's your other set

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

I’m not following any one specific build guide, but I looked a bunch and a lot of them tended to use a lot of both this Briarheart stuff and the Hunding’s Rage set, which apparently you can just craft so I’m not super worried about right now.

So I figured getting sets of those 2 would be a good way to nudge me into effectivity.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

PatentPending posted:

I’m not following any one specific build guide, but I looked a bunch and a lot of them tended to use a lot of both this Briarheart stuff and the Hunding’s Rage set, which apparently you can just craft so I’m not super worried about right now.

So I figured getting sets of those 2 would be a good way to nudge me into effectivity.

If you're on xbox I can craft you hunding's rage. You need to have a certain amount of traits unlocked to craft it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think Briarheart pairs well with Order's Wrath too

if you're PC I can. make em too

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

PatentPending posted:

I’ve been using those both for a long time and really like them.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Hey,

Fresh 8$ newbie to ESO. I'm playing on two locations:One on my PC and the other on my PS4 (when I want to workout and play). I joined the Discord, but one thing I haven't seen is how is the PvE in this game (Ie, group raiding).

Thanks!

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks all, it’s good to know I’m on a not-totally-wrong direction.

I’m on PC (I wanted to be on Xbox, but no crossplay :(), on the EU server if that matters.

Bear in mind I’m only L20 though, so I’m trying to get to 50 ASAP and it seems like there’s no point caring about gear until then because everything you can use will be obsolete 5 minutes later.

I’m enjoying the game so far! It’s just nice to be in Tamriel tbh. I’m trying to do the content in chronological order but I’m already really looking forward to going back to Vardenfell for maximum nostalgia.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Defenistrator posted:

Hey,

Fresh 8$ newbie to ESO. I'm playing on two locations:One on my PC and the other on my PS4 (when I want to workout and play). I joined the Discord, but one thing I haven't seen is how is the PvE in this game (Ie, group raiding).

Thanks!
Group content ranges from piss easy to unbelievably hard and cruel, and with a lot of big difficulty jumps so the path to progress is very windy. I find it pretty fun.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Defenistrator posted:

Hey,

Thanks!

What’s your psn?

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Doctor Zero posted:

What’s your psn?

Jammaysm3

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

kedo posted:

Honestly whenever I resub (which happens at least once a year, though I always get bored and cancel after a few months), ESO+ feels like an absolute requirement for the crafting bag.

Yep, the bag is the main reason I resub whenever I play. DLC access is nice too but it's really impossible to manage inventory without it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Hey, guys? I'm starting to think the Altmer are stuck-up racist dicks.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

When the gently caress are they adding the goddamn Drowned Mariner motif? :mad:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They should add a spear skill tree next expansion.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Jan 25th 3pm est, first look at the new content on Bethesda's Twitch channel. :getin:

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

Neat! I’ve just made my way out of my initial non-prologue faction area from the base game, so it’ll be good to see what I can get up in roughly a gajillion years.

Werewolf set dragon knight best dragon knight btw, never stop healing never stop ultimating never stop aoeing

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
If the russian datamines are correct, we are goin' to Necrom and the Telvanni ERP can commence in earnest, as per our Guild Charter

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PatentPending posted:

Neat! I’ve just made my way out of my initial non-prologue faction area from the base game, so it’ll be good to see what I can get up in roughly a gajillion years.

Werewolf set dragon knight best dragon knight btw, never stop healing never stop ultimating never stop aoeing

You can do most of the content in any order. Very little is gated off by story or leveling progression.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
My wife and I are just starting out as a necro tank and a warden dps. Anyone wanna braindump good newbie pointers on us? Literally everything is welcome. Obviously we will be YouTubing and googling as we go, but there is a lot of trash info online. I’m excited for 2023, it sounds like there are some good changes ahead! (Or tell me I’m dead wrong and actually the planned changes are trash.)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cretin90 posted:

My wife and I are just starting out as a necro tank and a warden dps. Anyone wanna braindump good newbie pointers on us? Literally everything is welcome. Obviously we will be YouTubing and googling as we go, but there is a lot of trash info online. I’m excited for 2023, it sounds like there are some good changes ahead! (Or tell me I’m dead wrong and actually the planned changes are trash.)
No one knows what's coming in 2023, so they could be great or horrible.

What kind of newbie pointers do you want? How much are you going to be playing?
    *Install tamriel trade centre so you know if the random recipe you looted in a container is worth 50 gold or 5 million gold.
    *Vendor white gear, decon the rest.
    *Research traits right away, even if you're not going to be into crafting. Start with divines if can, definitely make sure it's one of the first 3/4 traits researched for each item. Precise and infused for weapons.
    *Start mount training right away, once per day you can get one point in one of mount speed, inventory, mount stam. 60 each, takes 180 days total. This is per character. Stam is lowest priority. I would do 30 inv->30 speed ->10 stam -30 inv ->30 speed -> rest of stam. (can swap speed and inv depending on preference)
    *When you reach level 10 go into cyro, do the intro quest, you'll have enough levels in the PVP lines to get 1 point in the contiunous attack passive. It boosts mount speed.
    *If you plan on tanking vet content, you're going to need to level up your pvp skill lines. (Boring safe way: repair walls, faster and more fun way: battlegrounds, fastest but most pvp way: go into cyro in prime time, follow a group of your alliance that is capturing things)
    *You can upgrade bag space for ramping up costs at a bag vendor. You can upgrade bank space at the bank.
    *Other than the sub level CP150 blue enchanting runes and the base style materials, the ingame vendors sell things way over the price you could buy them from other players, don't do it.
    *Cp160 is the gear cap, until then don't worry too much about your gear, and definitely don't improve it.
    *Get a free apartment, put the armory in there (claimed for free from crown store). It comes with two slots, keep one empty and use it as a free skill/stat/CP reset. OW you can pay some gold to reset skills/stat/CP. Do NOT buy any of the scrolls for this from crown store. In fact don't buy any utility things from the crown store. Crown store only for cosmetics if you care about that, DLCs, and banker/merchant/decon assistants.
    *You can power level a lot of things if you know what to do. If something is annoying ask here or in chat or look it up, someone has probably found a way to make it less annoying.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No one knows what's coming in 2023, so they could be great or horrible.

What kind of newbie pointers do you want? How much are you going to be playing?
    *Install tamriel trade centre so you know if the random recipe you looted in a container is worth 50 gold or 5 million gold.
    *Vendor white gear, decon the rest.
    *Research traits right away, even if you're not going to be into crafting. Start with divines if can, definitely make sure it's one of the first 3/4 traits researched for each item. Precise and infused for weapons.
    *Start mount training right away, once per day you can get one point in one of mount speed, inventory, mount stam. 60 each, takes 180 days total. This is per character. Stam is lowest priority. I would do 30 inv->30 speed ->10 stam -30 inv ->30 speed -> rest of stam. (can swap speed and inv depending on preference)
    *When you reach level 10 go into cyro, do the intro quest, you'll have enough levels in the PVP lines to get 1 point in the contiunous attack passive. It boosts mount speed.
    *If you plan on tanking vet content, you're going to need to level up your pvp skill lines. (Boring safe way: repair walls, faster and more fun way: battlegrounds, fastest but most pvp way: go into cyro in prime time, follow a group of your alliance that is capturing things)
    *You can upgrade bag space for ramping up costs at a bag vendor. You can upgrade bank space at the bank.
    *Other than the sub level CP150 blue enchanting runes and the base style materials, the ingame vendors sell things way over the price you could buy them from other players, don't do it.
    *Cp160 is the gear cap, until then don't worry too much about your gear, and definitely don't improve it.
    *Get a free apartment, put the armory in there (claimed for free from crown store). It comes with two slots, keep one empty and use it as a free skill/stat/CP reset. OW you can pay some gold to reset skills/stat/CP. Do NOT buy any of the scrolls for this from crown store. In fact don't buy any utility things from the crown store. Crown store only for cosmetics if you care about that, DLCs, and banker/merchant/decon assistants.
    *You can power level a lot of things if you know what to do. If something is annoying ask here or in chat or look it up, someone has probably found a way to make it less annoying.

This is more or less what I am looking for - scattershot gaming advice. We don't know enough to ask for advice on specific topics, as we are just running around and bashing things and following questlines because we love the ESO lore.

I would expect us to play 7-10 hours per week and have the expectation of eventually participating in trials.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cretin90 posted:

This is more or less what I am looking for - scattershot gaming advice. We don't know enough to ask for advice on specific topics, as we are just running around and bashing things and following questlines because we love the ESO lore.

I would expect us to play 7-10 hours per week and have the expectation of eventually participating in trials.

Advice that often is overlooked but still important:

1. Play what you want and think is cool. This is not a try-hard game, even if some people play like that.
2. On that note, it’s impossible to gimp your character. Some builds may kill faster, or survive longer that others, that’s all.
4. Pick a quest and go with it until you get bored. Or don’t. Or run around seeing everything. Or poke your nose in every little corner. There is no right or wrong way to play. In fact you’ll probably get more enjoyment from the game if you just go with your heart. No quests time out. There is no rush.
4a. Quest order is all over the map. Literally. Pretend you are unstuck in time and some NPCs might know you even though you’ve never met, and vice versa.
4b. The main quest is still pretty drat cool although it does make a lot of sense if you level to like 20 before getting into it. Sans spoilers, it’s super cool when you gain some notoriety before the Big Bad notices you instead of it just being interest because “reasons”. You will get a quest starter before long so you won’t miss it. It involves a (super minor spoiler) mysterious invitation so if you see that, that’s how you get going.
There are (sadly too few) places that make reference to your “status” after you do at least the main story intro quest, so that’s pretty neat when it occurs.
5. Paid subscriptions are worth it and a good value if you plan to keep playing. The ingredient bag is a godsend. If you don’t subscribe, crafting will be an enormous PITA, so I wouldn’t even dabble in it until you sub. The crafting dailies are a great source of XP, gold, and crafting mats and recipes, keep in mind.
6. DO NOT GRIND UNLESS YOU HATE YOURSELF. There’s absolutely no reason to grind in the game.
7. Morrowind is largely considered to be the best dlc area doubly so if you played Morrowind. Plus Vvardenfel is nothing like LotR inspired western fantasy so it’s unique.
8. Join a guild. Or 5. That gets you access to guild banks, vendors (the best way to sell to players), and people who will be willing to group. You can always swap them around if you have jerks for guildies.
9. Public queueing for dungeons is the worst way to experience content, but a great way to get XP and gear. The games been around long enough that 99.99% of groups just rush through leaving you barely enough time to catch up, let alone grab the in-dungeon quests.
10. If you make an argonian you MUST give it a silly name and post it here.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 16, 2023

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
What's the chat box like being in 5 guilds? I imagine it to be a scrolling nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Most guilds don’t chat a lot in my experience