Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Those look super fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Holyshit their vehicles are incredible.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on the most expensive r/c I've ever purchased- a Cross RC BC8 Mammoth which is a scale Soviet era MAZ-537 ultra heavy cargo truck (the real one pulls ICBMs, tanks, and all kinds of other crazy poo poo). I had never seen the Cross RC stuff in person until last month when I went out to do some scale logging at a buddies house with property and a few of them all had Cross RC military style rigs....and holy poo poo those things are built STRONG. I saw a BC8 in person as one of them had one and in the 30 some years of being involved in r/c, it was probably the single most impressive rig I've ever seen. It was hauling 50 lbs of logs through the woods and through deep mud.

I had recently dumped a lot of cash into a Tamiya semi truck (my first foray into r/c semis) and upon seeing the Cross stuff, immediately knew I made a mistake with the relatively fragile Tamiya stuff and it just sold so I've got a good bit of cash for the Mammoth but maaaaan. $1,500 is A LOT of coin as we are probably talking $2k once I finish it with electronics and everything else.

However, the BC8 is built to the 9's with drat near everything on it machined (it also comes with lights and a sound system) to where there are no hop-ups needed for it. My friend has owned his about a year and says its his favorite vehicle in fleet by far, and he beats the crap out of it.

What to do what to do. Suppose I can always sell it if it winds up just sitting on my shelf.

(this is the BC8 for those wondering - https://www.crossrc.us/shop/bc-8-mammoth-flagship-version/)

Goddamn that rules. Do it, do it now.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Get one and post pics

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GOD IS BED posted:

Get one and post pics

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

GOD IS BED posted:

Get one and post pics

Agreed

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I have one. It’s mid-build since I decided to do a lot of customization on it. https://imgur.com/a/ibuA2Yc

I personally think the aluminum parts detract from it. The red transmission housings don’t look very realistic. The plastic components are included in the kit as well, and they’re more detailed. But I don’t think Cross RC actually makes any ‘standard’ kits.

I think the kit is actually pretty nice. Cross RC seems to have a pretty good injection mold designer. There are some big parts that came out pretty clean and detailed. It comes with a lot of accessories like all the lighting and a sound module.

I think my only real complaint is that the suspension has a lot of slop. I just bought a small pile of shims and I’m cleaning it up that way.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

That looks sick. More photos when it's done!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

kuffs posted:

I have one. It’s mid-build since I decided to do a lot of customization on it. https://imgur.com/a/ibuA2Yc

Wow, that looks amazing! Love the custom speedometer and rims.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

kuffs posted:

I personally think the aluminum parts detract from it. The red transmission housings don’t look very realistic. The plastic components are included in the kit as well, and they’re more detailed. But I don’t think Cross RC actually makes any ‘standard’ kits.

I think the kit is actually pretty nice. Cross RC seems to have a pretty good injection mold designer. There are some big parts that came out pretty clean and detailed. It comes with a lot of accessories like all the lighting and a sound module.

I think my only real complaint is that the suspension has a lot of slop. I just bought a small pile of shims and I’m cleaning it up that way.

This is awesome you have one of the big boys! Yours looks very nice. Hopefully you get the slop cleaned up in the suspension. Looking forward to seeing more of your truck and hearing some impressions.

So I actually did order a Cross truck yesterday, but not the BC8. I ordered the HC-6 (which is an unlicensed combo of a few army trucks, closest to the classic M35). $700 isn't a cheap kit, but it was a good deal less than the 8x8 BC8. I plan to put a fifth wheel on the HC-6 and do it up as a civilian/industrial version of the truck versus military and use it for heavy logging. My friends that do it say a tamiya style fifth wheel fits fine and this is the setup one buddy has on his UC-6. Anyways, I'm going to be doing it up to the 9's. Probably a yellow/green pacific northwest style logging truck livery. https://www.crossrc.us/shop/hc-6-kit/

I'm really looking forward to building the kit.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

GOD IS BED posted:

Wow, that looks amazing! Love the custom speedometer and rims.

It’s gonna be more than a speedo when I’m all done https://i.imgur.com/9UnzBnL.mp4

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

kuffs posted:

It’s gonna be more than a speedo when I’m all done https://i.imgur.com/9UnzBnL.mp4

Owns… what’s the things on the right? Telemetry for throttle and such? The square looks like gps on a terrain map lol

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, the pane to the right is going to be the navigation unit. I’ve got the servo signals plumbed into the microcontroller so it can read ‘speed’. I’ve got a tiny magnetometer in there so I know heading. And with those two I can make the terrain map move around in a realistic manner.

Here’s a bad video from when I was debugging it.

https://i.imgur.com/Q3eNlKz.mp4

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

kuffs posted:

Yeah, the pane to the right is going to be the navigation unit. I’ve got the servo signals plumbed into the microcontroller so it can read ‘speed’. I’ve got a tiny magnetometer in there so I know heading. And with those two I can make the terrain map move around in a realistic manner.

That's some incredible detail man, nice work.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's awesome as hell

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

kuffs posted:

What microcontroller are you using? I’ve been putting esp32’s in everything and am curious

Agree with everyone else’s sentiment, the more you share the project, more impressed I am

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Thanks everyone :shobon:

I’m using a Teensy 4.0. It’s blisteringly fast at 600mhz, has a good amount of flash and sram on it, and it has some graphics functions that I have yet to take advantage of.

Esp32 stuff always seems closely coupled with a wifi module and I don’t need wifi.

The project has been paused for a while because I have the ADD and something else new and shiny caught my eye. The excitement here has reminded me how much fun I was having with it. I’m gonna get back to work on it soon now.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

kuffs posted:

Thanks everyone :shobon:

I’m using a Teensy 4.0. It’s blisteringly fast at 600mhz, has a good amount of flash and sram on it, and it has some graphics functions that I have yet to take advantage of.

Esp32 stuff always seems closely coupled with a wifi module and I don’t need wifi.

Yep, If you don’t need WiFi then ESP32 would have been dumb. Good choice!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Another video we shot, this time using a Cross RC BC-8, a UC-6, and a Kingkong RC fuel truck (complete with a rolling steel weight inside of the tank the simulates fuel slosh)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8240QbBvfw

I just finished my Cross HC-6 logging truck and took it on its first shake down run. I'll post some pics of it soon here.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Man, that is just super cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just want to say that that video has been a real moment of zen for me today.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hello there dead RC thread.

Got a new body for the TT02 and then got some wheels and tires to go with it. Bronze TE37s because they look good on everything. Mounts were left a bit tall since I've only got the one set and I still want to use my Impreza body.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Looks good.

I miss on-road racing. But I can't spend whole days doing it. :-/

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Bought this two weeks ago, first time running it i broke one of the suspension arm, already replaced the original plastic ones with metal.
I also have a screw that everytime i run the car for a bit it starts unscrewing.
Should i use locktite on a screw that screws on plastic ?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

No, threadlock is for metal on metal screws. If a screw is coming out on plastic you might have a stripped plastic piece. A way to ‘thread lock’ a troublesome screw on a plastic piece could be some clear nail polish on the screw. Some people will say use ‘CA’ (super) glue but that’s not ideal. It can craze some plastics and it turns brittle.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I've used threadlock on a plastic arm and it helped keep it from unscrewing. I've only done it on one screw on one rc car (Traxxas Slash), but it works for my situation.
My friend had the same problem and just put the screw in the reverse direction. Fixed the issue without threadlock.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
There’s also some stuff I’ve used that’s called Vibra Tite which doesn’t cure to a hard adhesive type thing like the thread lockers, but cures to sort of a silicone rubber type consistency that, as the name implies, attempts to be just rubbery enough to keep screws from walking themselves out due to vibration. The Amazon link has a better description. I’ve used it primarily for delicate firearms optics type stuff, but the link says great for RC and drone application, and the internet never lies so you should be good to go.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Maybe i'll try thread lock on the plastic arm that its broken to see how it cures.
In the mean time i'll start replacing all the plastic bits on the bottom with metal parts if they are available, the shop guy said that the metal bits are made locally.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Micr0chiP posted:

Maybe i'll try thread lock on the plastic arm that its broken to see how it cures.
In the mean time i'll start replacing all the plastic bits on the bottom with metal parts if they are available, the shop guy said that the metal bits are made locally.

Keep in mind that it is sometimes better to leave plastic parts as plastic because they take the stress that a harder-to-repair/replace part normally would and are designed to break before the part it is "protecting". Like servo savers.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
As a general rule, suspension bits should be plastic. It's a question of what do you want to spend money replacing? a $10 set of arms, or a $100 set of bulkheads, pins and towers? Also, aluminum is heavier, so adds to unsprung weight, which is ~also~ not good.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, metal parts are generally a trap. If you want something rugged, RPM makes plastic parts that are designed to bounce back from abuse.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
In general, it is a bad idea to use thread lock with plastic parts. Some thread locking compounds use cyanoacrylate (CA). This has the tendency to make some plastics brittle or crack.

Can you post a picture of the joint that is coming loose? I don’t immediately recognize the brand of vehicle you posted.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So I happened into a thing. I managed to acquire an older Traxxas Revo for pretty much nothing.

It's in decent condition, other than the dust and grime.

It's the first nitro I've owned, and it's clearly going to be a lot of work just to get it to run.

Old-rear end AM radio. Inbuilt nicad cells to operate the receiver. No battery cell for the engine starter, but a 2S plugs right in and works it. Unfortunately it won't even turn over the starter motor. I'm guessing there's some brains built into the stock electronics that will only run the starter if conditions are right. The receiver cell did charge, and it turns on, but doesn't seem to operate anything else.

I'm GUESSING the starter motor on the engine also operates as a generator when the thing is running. Because a weeny little cell to operate the RC receiver doesn't seem like it's going to power 4 servos in this thing. The manual isn't very clear.

Has anyone heard of anyone modernizing one of these things? Theoretically I could get my Flysky transmitter to run it, but the third channel would be tricky.

If all else fails, I might remove the nitro engine for something stupid, and convert it to electric.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lithium is so good that dealing with nitro isn't worth the hassle imo.
If the electric motor has a clutch on it then it won't be a generator. if it's always in contact with the crankshaft of the nitro engine... it is indeed a generator.

I EV swapped a tmaxx about 4 years ago now and added a second axle to it for nerdy rc car things.

E: 2.5 revo probably has a similar two speed clutched box.
Ditch the second gear. ditch the overrunning clutch. I rehobbed a couple of gears from a second transmission to remove 2nd. The sprag on mine was stuck so I left it.
775 brushed drill motor is what Im running on a welded up piece of flat strap that mounts to the existing fuel tank mount iirc and the original nitro transmission input gear.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 9, 2023

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Man... now I miss my old Revo 3.3. That thing was a fuckin riot, me and a couple friends took it out to a high school parking lot and convinced one of the local cops to radar it and then race it from a dig. Ended up walking his Charger until the Revo topped out at 60 :lol:

Nitro cars are fun as gently caress and the sound is incredible, but they are absolutely fiddly and I can't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with them. I don't think I could ever go back even as much as I enjoy them :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just get a big monster brushless motor and a grip of batteries and never look back

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Enos Shenk posted:

So I happened into a thing. I managed to acquire an older Traxxas Revo for pretty much nothing.

It's in decent condition, other than the dust and grime.

It's the first nitro I've owned, and it's clearly going to be a lot of work just to get it to run.

Old-rear end AM radio. Inbuilt nicad cells to operate the receiver. No battery cell for the engine starter, but a 2S plugs right in and works it. Unfortunately it won't even turn over the starter motor. I'm guessing there's some brains built into the stock electronics that will only run the starter if conditions are right. The receiver cell did charge, and it turns on, but doesn't seem to operate anything else.

I'm GUESSING the starter motor on the engine also operates as a generator when the thing is running. Because a weeny little cell to operate the RC receiver doesn't seem like it's going to power 4 servos in this thing. The manual isn't very clear.

Has anyone heard of anyone modernizing one of these things? Theoretically I could get my Flysky transmitter to run it, but the third channel would be tricky.

If all else fails, I might remove the nitro engine for something stupid, and convert it to electric.

The small electric motor is just an electric starter for the nitro engine. It is supposed to ignite the glow plug at the same time as spinning the engine over. It does nothing else.

The receiver and servos are powered by a separate onboard receiver battery. It’s been a while since I’ve put my hands in a Revo but I’m fairly sure it will be a 2/3A 5 cell 6V flat battery. It might be a 5 cell hump pack.

Just throw that radio away. Even a cheap $40 2.4ghz radio on Amazon will fair better. Flysky or turbo racing, I don’t care. The third channel is for reverse. Most people throw a reverse lockout kit on because it saves a ton of rotational weight and complexity. The reverse never worked that great anyways.

I would remove the engine and get the electric starter off. You’ll be able to determine what’s causing the bind. Could be a failed one-way bearing of the electric starter. It could also be gummed up internals. A couple drops of marvel mystery oil or similar down the glow plug hole and carb and just using your hand to spin the flywheel (with the electric starter off) will determine if everything is working as it should on the inside.

My advice? Don’t throw too much money at the stock TRX engine. They were so temperamental and I’m saying that as someone that can tune the poo poo out of a nitro engine. Find something that will drop in place. There were a few different engine brands out that made some revo drop in compatible engines but I’ve not had hands in a revo for a long time to be able to suggest something current.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The receiver and servos are powered by a separate onboard receiver battery. It’s been a while since I’ve put my hands in a Revo but I’m fairly sure it will be a 2/3A 5 cell 6V flat battery. It might be a 5 cell hump pack.

Yeah, I did some investigating. The onboard battery is toast, not suprising from the old nicads. It powers on the receiver, but none of the servos operate. The throttle/brake servo is absolutely frozen up, can't even move it by hand.

I removed the engine for fun and curiosity, found some interesting things. It's completely gunked up with gelled oil, it rotates but it's a hot mess. The rear cover that mounts the starter was installed backwards according to a rebuild guide I found, so I'm wondering if that's why it was basically left to gather dust for years.

I'll almost certainly just electrify it, not that I NEED another RC but you all know how that goes. If I can get the engine cleaned up and rebuilt I'll do something idiotic like attach it to an old hand-crank pencil sharpener.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Revo is a really good truck in general and electrified it will probably be a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Enos Shenk posted:

If I can get the engine cleaned up and rebuilt I'll do something idiotic like attach it to an old hand-crank pencil sharpener.

:yeshaha:
already dying in anticipation