Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Lotus Aura posted:

Not the new Game Changer, but watching a few random Breaking News episodes and I just.. how is Amy real? It's amazing and all but still.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point I think. I don't doubt it's real, but I think half of the reason that Amy loses it so completely is because she's anticipating it. She's much more normal in non Breaking News content, or even the earlier episodes (where she definitely still took the show to a standstill when she couldn't get through a sentence, but that was at least a funny sentence instead of literally anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

No but seriously Brennan Lee Mulligan, WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT?

gonna have to take notes to make sense of that last encounter

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 12, 2023

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

double nine posted:

No but seriously Brennan Lee Mulligan, WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT?

I’m afraid you’ll have to be more specific.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Neverafter Ep 7, I haven't finished yet but the mayor's apology speech was hilarious.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That was such a bizarre lie for the party to not only go with but double down on.

That's why horror tabletop is such a tricky beast, PCs gonna PC

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lotus Aura posted:

Not the new Game Changer, but watching a few random Breaking News episodes and I just.. how is Amy real? It's amazing and all but still.

I'm reminded of her episode of Dirty Laundry and dating 3 magicians. Amy is great.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

That's why horror tabletop is such a tricky beast, PCs gonna PC

I thought it was funny how in one of the Starstruck Adventuring Parties, Brennan pointed out how in the more serious games the players have been like this, being more silly and lighthearted, where in the Starstruck the world was more silly and lighthearted and the players were taking it much more seriously, making plans and thinking tactically about things.

I mean, it might not have been MUCH more tactically, but still.

Favorite part of this week's episode though was Zac's reaction to being asked if he wanted to look at the Stepmother .

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I had a weird realization last week, because after seeing yet another video of Brennan's breakdown about figuring out Sam's game on YouTube, I went to watch the episode because I could never quite remember the rest of the episode; and I think I never actually saw the episode prior to last week. I just watched the original clip at some point on YouTube, and then became kind of Mandela effected and just assumed I'd seen the episode. So I've watched about half a dozen different cuts of the rant in various forms, be it just the clip itself, an audio only cut, an animated one by DeepBlueInk etc. It's still a lot of fun even watching it after the fact, but it's pretty obvious when Brennan has it figured out and has to act along, because he stops trying to figure out the rules every round and even seems a little put out that he has to keep playing along.

enki42 posted:

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point I think. I don't doubt it's real, but I think half of the reason that Amy loses it so completely is because she's anticipating it. She's much more normal in non Breaking News content, or even the earlier episodes (where she definitely still took the show to a standstill when she couldn't get through a sentence, but that was at least a funny sentence instead of literally anything).

I think they're writing towards that whenever they have her on now too. Or at least, cueing up adlibs that are tailored to make her break. The first time it happens is amazing because her "tactic" is so stupid, and completely falls apart mmediately upon trying it, but while her other appearances are still fun, none of them felt quite the same because everyone was expecting it now. There's something similar with Grant, in that they know he's a bit of a glutton for punishment and a completely open book sexually but they tend to vary up how they tackle that even within just Breaking News. The original "let's force Grant to spill his own secrets" episode is amazing, but they haven't really relied on that same formula for every appearance afterwards, so it comes off a lot more organic when the humor does circle around his sexual escapades.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

tsob posted:

I had a weird realization last week, because after seeing yet another video of Brennan's breakdown about figuring out Sam's game on YouTube, I went to watch the episode because I could never quite remember the rest of the episode; and I think I never actually saw the episode prior to last week. I just watched the original clip at some point on YouTube, and then became kind of Mandela effected and just assumed I'd seen the episode. So I've watched about half a dozen different cuts of the rant in various forms, be it just the clip itself, an audio only cut, an animated one by DeepBlueInk etc. It's still a lot of fun even watching it after the fact, but it's pretty obvious when Brennan has it figured out and has to act along, because he stops trying to figure out the rules every round and even seems a little put out that he has to keep playing along.

They've spoken at length about this across various other shows, in the discord, etc.... Yeah, he knew what the deal was by the 4th round or so. The rule was you had to go backstage to make your official guess, and Sam would never let him go back stage to make the guess. Honestly, I think it works even better knowing that the episode is really about intentionally torturing Brennan in the most effective way possible, and everyone (including) Brennan realizing that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The latest Game Changer is yet another Improv thing that I didn't know existed, and am in total awe of. (Although I would say it's more impressive than it is enjoyable.)

It started off a little grating, but dammit if I couldn't help but laugh a bunch at some of the pulls they made in later categories. Impressive as hell, and they double down on Count Chocolata being a character.

Neverafter is great so far, but I'm having a hell of a time understanding the plot.

They're all story characters, there's an evil godmother eating stories or controlling them, or making the stories darker, but there's also a book that eats characters and sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad... Maybe a rewatch it's easier to follow, but the lack of an understanding of the 'reality' of the game is making it feel like grasping for straws trying to follow what's going on. Starstruck and Tinyheist were wild universes, but they had enough of a tether in reality that it wasn't hard to follow. This one... not so much.

quote:

And then, on March 1st, the first episode of our first story hits the free, public feed. Meanwhile, our patrons will get hundreds of [REVELATION REDACTED, TO BE REVELATED AT LATER DATE]. Many will die from too much pleasure. We mourn them already.

From the Numbers Beyond site. Better subscribe to their patron cause it sounds like they're going to give away hundreds of dollars. Has to be what that redacted bit is. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 12, 2023

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It started off a little grating, but dammit if I couldn't help but laugh a bunch at some of the pulls they made in later categories. Impressive as hell, and they double down on Count Chocolata being a character.

Neverafter is great so far, but I'm having a hell of a time understanding the plot.

They're all story characters, there's an evil godmother eating stories or controlling them, or making the stories darker, but there's also a book that eats characters and sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad... Maybe a rewatch it's easier to follow, but the lack of an understanding of the 'reality' of the game is making it feel like grasping for straws trying to follow what's going on. Starstruck and Tinyheist were wild universes, but they had enough of a tether in reality that it wasn't hard to follow. This one... not so much.

From the Numbers Beyond site. Better subscribe to their patron cause it sounds like they're going to give away hundreds of dollars. Has to be what that redacted bit is. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

I think/hope that we're on the cusp on learning a few more rules/movers of the universe, I certainly hope so. The mystery is a little too unknowable to get invested in the stakes atm.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

They've spoken at length about this across various other shows, in the discord, etc.... Yeah, he knew what the deal was by the 4th round or so. The rule was you had to go backstage to make your official guess, and Sam would never let him go back stage to make the guess. Honestly, I think it works even better knowing that the episode is really about intentionally torturing Brennan in the most effective way possible, and everyone (including) Brennan realizing that.

Oh yea, I was aware that they'd spoken about Brennan realizing it early and I just meant that watching it with foreknowledge that he figures it out it becomes really obvious when it happens. I doubt I'd even have noticed if I'd hadn't already read it multiple times in this thread, but once you know to look then Brennan going from "okay, let's try X this round to see what that reveals about the rules" to him just slightly ribbing Ally and Zac about "oh you know the rule? How come you got it wrong then?" makes it pretty clear.

One of the best moments for Brennan on Dropout is the Um...actually! moment where he's unsure about a Lord of the Rings question (something to do with who died at Helm's Deep, I think) and gives a vague answer that Trapp provisionally awards him a point for, only for Siobhan to swoop in and give the correct answer afterwards because, as she said, she just remembered that the hot dwarf died; prompting Trapp to take away the point Brennan had gotten and give it to Siobhan. He even said it himself afterwards; Siobhan deserved the point, and it was just Trapp taking the point away from him that hurt his competitive soul.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
It's me, I'm the guy who really liked the Shakespeare episode and probably would have enjoyed it even without the challenges.

tsob posted:

One of the best moments for Brennan on Dropout is the Um...actually! moment where he's unsure about a Lord of the Rings question (something to do with who died at Helm's Deep, I think)

um, actually it was about the battle of five armies :smug:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just realised i said make some noise which i like and what i meant is play it by ear which i do not.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Eh, I liked it better than the "normal jeopardy" remote episode that turned into an incredibly lame D&D session.

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Just realised i said make some noise which i like and what i meant is play it by ear which i do not.

I'm not sure why but for the life of me I can't stand improvised musical stuff. I enjoy Make Some Noise and this Shakespeare one was incredible just because these guys are so good at it, but as soon as singing starts I'm cringing and covering my ears.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Eh, I liked it better than the "normal jeopardy" remote episode that turned into an incredibly lame D&D session.

Speak for yourself, I loved the Jeopardy one and how it was a much lighter way to dunk on Brennan being hypercompetitive

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Has Brennan, Murph or any of the cool kids said anything about the D&D drama?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

I haven't seen anything yet, but there has been some counter narrative stuff coming from lawyers like legal eagle and opening arguments. I'd be most interested to hear what will happen with D20 and things like live shows since those are examples of content that are generally not available for free, which I think would violate the draft OGL update.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Murph did a thread about his thoughts

https://twitter.com/chmurph/status/1614744651105439746?s=46&t=KZVRgxdGdvXgZQMu643Kuw

https://twitter.com/chmurph/status/1614745076516925442?s=46&t=KZVRgxdGdvXgZQMu643Kuw

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
For those of you who wanted more lore in the current Dimension 20 series, this week's episode is for you! I don't know that I figured anything out, but I know more about the world(s) I suppose.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

This season of D20 really feels like less than the sum of its parts, I guess? Some good individual bits, but all this dimension hopping and lore dumping is preventing things from really gelling for me.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Same, tbh. Campaigns that TPK early tend to be disjointed

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There is a segment in the latest Gamechanger that is basically designed to be Brennan's Kobayashi Maru.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I Am Fowl posted:

There is a segment in the latest Gamechanger that is basically designed to be Brennan's Kobayashi Maru.

Holy poo poo it's good. He goes through such a range of emotions.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Pleads posted:

Holy poo poo it's good. He goes through such a range of emotions.

The way his face drops when the siamese fireback was shown was perfect. Also, Katie almost not recognizing chickens twice slayed me.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

It is genuinely amazing. It goes from "They are screwing Brennan over again, that's not exactly fair" to "It's perfectly fair, and he blew it."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This GC is an all-timer, just in general, honestly. The second mini-game challenge is great just from the jump. Carolyn just deadpanning "I'll eat a rat" got me good

Edit: What the gently caress is Katie doing in this sabotage? :haw:

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 24, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I like how Carolyn got to play with a snake

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As soon as they brought out the knife thrower I knew they were doing the Penn & Teller bit.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Still slowly going through various backlogs but at this point, Sam Says 2 might well be my favorite Game Changer episode so far. Especially for that ending :allears:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lotus Aura posted:

Still slowly going through various backlogs but at this point, Sam Says 2 might well be my favorite Game Changer episode so far. Especially for that ending :allears:

I'm very intrigued by what the cut for time version of that ending is going to be. It's going to either be Ally's "Go" wasn't actually that crazy, or it was way crazier than they showed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My favourite is still Sam realising the 'repeat after me' task was a mistake when Jacob just went full bore for it.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This season of D20 really feels like less than the sum of its parts, I guess? Some good individual bits, but all this dimension hopping and lore dumping is preventing things from really gelling for me.

I'm just glad it's got more going on than the, at a glance, incredibly fatigued 2000s deviantart edit of ariel littlemermaid with sleeve tattoos and a nightmare before christmas shirt "fairytales but edgy" premise. But I'm glad I gave it a shot because I trust this cast specifically to make pretty much any pitch into something worthwhile. I like it a lot so far but that could be explained by the comedy working for me, which is enough to make me not care about a lot of shortcomings. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, it's weird to think that we're probably about halfway through.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Is it just me or (latest gamechanger spoilers I guess) are their resting heart rates all crazy high?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

kiminewt posted:

Is it just me or (latest gamechanger spoilers I guess) are their resting heart rates all crazy high?

well it's not exactly "resting." i think if your heart rate isn't at least mid-80s while you are standing in front of a thousand lights being recorded by a full crew and performing for an audience, you probably have excellent cardio

katie's though is another story lol

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
60-100 is considered 'normal' by most sources I can find? So they seem fine? Katie's is a little high, I guess?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

eke out posted:

katie's though is another story lol

Probably because of all the coke she's done

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You have to test the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

boxen posted:

I thought it was funny how in one of the Starstruck Adventuring Parties, Brennan pointed out how in the more serious games the players have been like this, being more silly and lighthearted, where in the Starstruck the world was more silly and lighthearted and the players were taking it much more seriously, making plans and thinking tactically about things.

I mean, it might not have been MUCH more tactically, but still.

Favorite part of this week's episode though was Zac's reaction to being asked if he wanted to look at the Stepmother .

This is pretty normal player psychology in dnd to be fair... if you hype something up as scary and alarming that means that the text wants this thing to be scary and alarming which is something you can choose to thread or just as easily not, but if you're just going buck the gently caress wild as a GM throwing whatever you want at the PCs they learn that the *world* is scary and alarming...