Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I would absolutely fail a parallel parking test after 25 years of being licensed, the same way I did the first time I had to take a driving test.

there was definitely a 'trick' to the thing where you had to drive through the cones and then back up (turn the wheel x amount until a cone appears in your mirror, then turn back a half turn until you see another, then straighten out). i failed the first time because i was incredibly nervous, and you only got once chance, so i had to make another appointment two weeks out just to spend 30 seconds driving through the cones again.

there was some girl in high school who took something like 5 tries to pass that part and was absolutely melting down over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

On my first driving test I was failed for skimming the inside of an empty roundabout rather than going around the full circumference, as it showed "not enough care for other drivers"

the one big universal constant is that there are certain things that are automatic fails, like if the tester has to intervene (by grabbing the wheel or hitting their own set of brakes if it's a driver's ed car), or you do anything that would be technically ticketable including not turning into the closest lane you're legally supposed to go into or going 1km/h over the technical speed limit (which can be no-win because failing to keep up with the other traffic can itself be a ticketable offense even if doing so would put you over the speed limit). My brother failed his first test because his tester had to brake for him, but the tester did acknowledge that he had been put into a no-win situation (due to an aggressive other driver who refused to let him merge and wound up trapping him) and basically said "just wait out the 30 days and take the test again and you'll likely pass" and sure enough he did.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
your move, Elon
https://twitter.com/tansuyegen/status/1610022167697047553

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
0. improve testing stringency to at least match canadian standards (european would be nice, but one step at a time)

1. full re-test, including road test, every 5 or 10 years when you renew your license, to the same standards as the initial test

2. if you fail the road test you must attend additional training paid for by the state or your license is suspended

3. we will pay for this by cancelling 1 aircraft carrier and 3 nuclear submarines

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm glad whoever made this added that hard-clipped music track. "chay, shrimpin"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Driving tests here involve an instructor and an independent tester.

I did my thing, and the tester started grousing about how I didn't brake enough for him at the yield sign, etc. I didn't dare say anything but the instructor gave it a minute, then said "the yield sign was on the left".

He didn't say anything else and I passed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
here's the official california driving test standards, which from what i've heard basically nobody has to actually meet; several people have told me they left the dmv parking lot, made three right turns, came back in, backed into the space and that was it.

a good driver shouldn't have to study or practice to perform to those standards. the only thing that would catch even a safe driver off guard is the speed limits, because obviously speed limits in most places are ridiculous and unrealistic.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Chris Knight posted:

your move, Elon

committing electronic warfare by mounting an LED stoplight to the trunk and flashing red lights at Teslas, on the highway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i found that on a quora question where someone was complaining that she failed because:

quote:

You MUST look over your shoulder while changing lanes. I did not because I trusted the mirrors, reverse camera, and our car’s blind spot sensor. Also, when the mirrors did not show a single car behind me in any lane, I did not feel the need to look over my shoulder. 🤷🏻‍♀️

You MUST let the pedestrian reach the end of the road and step onto the pavement. Pedestrians here aren’t quick to move like I was used to seeing in India. Anyway, I did stop for this pedestrian crossing the road but when she had crossed halfway to the other side of the traffic, I began to move. My examiner told me that the pedestrian could have changed her mind and started walking back, so I should have waited longer. 🤦🏻‍♀️

your fellow drivers, everyone!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i found that on a quora question where someone was complaining that she failed because:

Have you seen those videos of people driving in India?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSkJCUDAes

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

Yeah "I learned this from driving in India" would have most DMV testers go

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

during some bad times in my life when i was deeply unhappy id walk to work and cross this gnarly 4 way stop sign with crosswalks and when someone would start driving while i was still crossing i'd stop, turn and stare at them and force them to stop in the middle of the intersection. one time i even yelled "loving DO IT!" no one ever did, luckily.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

europe can have some pretty crazy places to drive as well. i almost wrecked into at least 3 scooters in milan, those old cities have poo poo visibility around corners

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

univbee posted:

the one big universal constant is that there are certain things that are automatic fails, like if the tester has to intervene (by grabbing the wheel or hitting their own set of brakes if it's a driver's ed car), or you do anything that would be technically ticketable including not turning into the closest lane you're legally supposed to go into or going 1km/h over the technical speed limit (which can be no-win because failing to keep up with the other traffic can itself be a ticketable offense even if doing so would put you over the speed limit). My brother failed his first test because his tester had to brake for him, but the tester did acknowledge that he had been put into a no-win situation (due to an aggressive other driver who refused to let him merge and wound up trapping him) and basically said "just wait out the 30 days and take the test again and you'll likely pass" and sure enough he did.

in my case it sucked because I'd previously impressed the invigilator because I was approaching a T-junction and was about to pull out but slammed the brake, he looked at me in surprise and this previously unseen orange car went blazing past at like 40 in a residential area and he looked at me again all amazed I'd somehow known it was coming

and then I hosed it up by trying to take a shortcut

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

I'm actually less upset about the second part than the first part where she says she didn't look over her shoulder because her car has a blind spot sensor. And then demonstrates total ignorance of what the blind spot is by saying she doesn't need to look over there because there weren't any cars visible in her mirrors.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

0. improve testing stringency to at least match canadian standards (european would be nice, but one step at a time)

1. full re-test, including road test, every 5 or 10 years when you renew your license, to the same standards as the initial test

2. if you fail the road test you must attend additional training paid for by the state or your license is suspended

3. we will pay for this by cancelling 1 aircraft carrier and 3 nuclear submarines

lol i'd bet one aircraft carrier would be more than enough to fund that poo poo for a decade

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

during some bad times in my life when i was deeply unhappy id walk to work and cross this gnarly 4 way stop sign with crosswalks and when someone would start driving while i was still crossing i'd stop, turn and stare at them and force them to stop in the middle of the intersection. one time i even yelled "loving DO IT!" no one ever did, luckily.

I always stare directly into the oncoming driver's eyes when I'm crossing a street. It invariably makes them stop further away from me and not creep forwards. Some kind of monkey brain thing I think

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

they’re right though, both those things are fine

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sound logic -- canceling delivery of warships frees up state funds

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I guess Uber and Lyft take some of the edge off now

I deal with it by living in the nyc outer reaches and getting on computer

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i was thinking that too

can you imagine the outrage if they wanted to federalize the dmv? lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FCKGW posted:

if someone is “halfway through a crosswalk” it means they are literally in the middle of the street. you should not drive through an intersection when a pedestrian is in the middle of the road.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

I always stare directly into the oncoming driver's eyes when I'm crossing a street. It invariably makes them stop further away from me and not creep forwards. Some kind of monkey brain thing I think
/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Negative.

You always check your blind spots by turning your head. Always. No sensor is adequate to replace your eyes and there is no circumstance in which you can merge into another lane because you checked your mirrors and you're pretty sure there's no one hiding between them.

Similarly, you always look backwards out your rear window when your car is moving in reverse. The rear view camera actually reduces safety because of its horrible implementation, placed in front of you on the dashboard. Cameras are important now in this era of idiotically gigantic vehicles with zero visibility, but the display should be placed on a screen hanging down from the ceiling behind the seats so that you can only see it while looking backwards. Driving backwards and looking forward is so loving stupid!!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

univbee posted:

yeah the necessity of driving in north america is pretty nuts. it's actually quite common in many areas for people with serious driving infractions (e.g. multiple dui's) to get a penalty that's basically "we're revoking your license except you can still drive to go to/from work" because it is a legitimate necessity that there isn't a substitute for.

similarly, my wife got t-boned by someone who ran a stop sign and made our car a total write-off, and insurance was insanely desperate/fast about trying to get us a replacement vehicle and doing things like paying for taxis until that got sorted because they were operating on "you are hosed for making a living if you don't have a car" logic.

in north america there's like a single-digit number of cities where you stand a decent chance of being able to get by without a car and even then it's still dependent on where exactly in the city you live and work and whether the transit happens to have a good path to make that viable. montreal and new york are two of the "better" ones but still get clowned on by most cities in europe and asia.

it's incredible how much even us cities that have decent transit (boston, dc, chicago) are so far behind the big three canadian cities

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Just be careful because sometimes it feels like they're looking at you but they still somehow don't notice you and then they hit you anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nudgenudgetilt posted:

You cancel the aircraft carrier and divide the money up and give it to the states just like federal highway funding or whatever. Yeesh

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Negative.

You always check your blind spots by turning your head. Always. No sensor is adequate to replace your eyes and there is no circumstance in which you can merge into another lane because you checked your mirrors and you're pretty sure there's no one hiding between them.

Similarly, you always look backwards out your rear window when your car is moving in reverse. The rear view camera actually reduces safety because of its horrible implementation, placed in front of you on the dashboard. Cameras are important now in this era of idiotically gigantic vehicles with zero visibility, but the display should be placed on a screen hanging down from the ceiling behind the seats so that you can only see it while looking backwards. Driving backwards and looking forward is so loving stupid!!!

if you have your mirrors set properly you should not have any blind spots. set them out further from the car.

most cars have a smaller rear view window that what you can see out of the rear view camera.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

FCKGW posted:

if you have your mirrors set properly you should not have any blind spots. set them out further from the car.

:wrong:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i hate the tiny rear end shrinky dink rear windows in most sedans today. i drove various hatches for like 15 years and it was such a huge step down

the rear camera is not a substitute

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i did that as a kid, with the logic that if they ran me over they would be haunted by my eyes lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
only trust your eyes. mirrors and cameras will not help you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Negative.

love to look backwards at the back wall of my panel van as i back up

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

0. improve testing stringency to at least match canadian standards

I know a couple people who took their driving test in a small town that had no controlled intersections of any kind

maybe things have changed since the mid 90s but I doubt it. there is no shortage of terrible drivers here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Roosevelt posted:

only trust your eyes. mirrors and cameras will not help you.

:yeah:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FCKGW posted:

most cars have a smaller rear view window that what you can see out of the rear view camera.

wow you’re wrong as hell. maybe you shouldn’t be driving???

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was actually taught that rather than turn your head you should lean forward so you can keep the car in front of you within your vision as you check your mirror (which by leaning forward now shows your blind spot)

the idea being that if the car in front of you fucks up their merger / lane change (like that San Fran tesla now I think about it) and has to stop then you have a snowball's chance to hit the brakes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

love to look backwards at the back wall of my panel van as i back up

when i took the driver's exam in nj this was illegal. it should still be, if it isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's incredible how much even us cities that have decent transit (boston, dc, chicago) are so far behind the big three canadian cities

Vancouver's transit when I lived there about 15 years ago was incredibly lovely, and I think weirdly buffered by the fact that driving was especially bad because there was no proper highway connection to the downtown core; you had to get off quite a ways away and drive along small city streets that were absolutely hell given how much traffic had to flow into there.

The SkyTrain shut down at like 10:30pm and the buses from the SkyTrain to elsewhere (because the SkyTrain didn't cover affordable places to live) would shut down at like 8pm so if you wanted to do a nighttime activity you basically had to cab home which for me was around $70cad.