Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YggdrasilTM posted:

Every anime is a card now

all force of will cards are now vintage and legacy legal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

resistentialism posted:

every card is the anime version now

this would actually own

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

2 weeks after a set release you can buy singles direct from WOTC for $2 per card plus shipping

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Has anybody theorized that they might get rid of the legend rule, but instead you're just not allowed to play more than one copy of a Legend in a deck?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Simply Simon posted:

Has anybody theorized that they might get rid of the legend rule, but instead you're just not allowed to play more than one copy of a Legend in a deck?

That’s literally the original legend rule

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

whydirt posted:

Well, I didn't know that!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

whydirt posted:

No it isn't, several formats had them restricted but one oer deck was never part of the legend rule.

The first legend rule was if you played a copy of a legend that was already in play your copy was buried.

Then in Kamigawa it was changed to both copies are buried.

Then in 2013 it was changed to only look at your board state and only one of your choice would be buried.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

jpmeyer posted:

I remember playing planechase in one of the old duels of the planeswalkers games and it honestly mostly sucked. The planes were either so low impact that you forgot they existed, or were so debilitating that the game stopped until someone could planeswalk away to something else.

Yeah, my playgroup collected all the planechase cards at one point, and had a few games, and, it's really poo poo. On paper, it sounds really cool, but in practice, it's exactly as you describe: It either doesn't really matter and is kind of irritating busywork, or it's what wins the game. Since it's totally random, and further randomised by dice rolls, it means you're playing games with a mechanic that either doesn't matter, or means that the game ends randomly. So, in effect, all you're adding is "The chance that the game isn't decided by player actions".

And then, because the deck itself is randomised, you can't even change what you're doing next time. Like, if someone with an artifact deck just goes off on the artifact plane, you can't go "Well I'll add more artifact hate" because then for ten games in a row the planes just reset the board state / make the game last annoyingly longer or something, and then the eleventh game, they randomly hand the game to the combo player by giving them a ton of free mana and cards. Your deckbuilding decisions become much less meaningful.

What it does mean is that big mana is rewarded, since you always have a powerful mana sink. So, the only meaningful decision in deckbuilding is "put more big mana in" which actually ends up making the decks more homogenous. Also, frequently, the better option than 'play the deck you built' is just 'pay to roll the dice'. And sometimes, you'll take a turn that's just rolling dice without any consequence. Sometimes your opponents will do this. You play less of your deck, so, again, there's less individuality.

So not only is it not a very fun experience, it actually results not in chaotic excitement, but homogenous games decided by random chance. It takes the game much much closer to just rolling for who wins.

It's poo poo.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 12, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I've had planechase be fun exactly once: after a draft where we just had some drinks and played our draft decks with a tablet in the middle of the table until the bar closed

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No it isn't, several formats had them restricted but one oer deck was never part of the legend rule.

The first legend rule was if you played a copy of a legend that was already in play your copy was buried.

Then in Kamigawa it was changed to both copies are buried.

Then in 2013 it was changed to only look at your board state and only one of your choice would be buried.

Wrong

https://www.cbr.com/magic-gathering-legend-rule-explained/

quote:

What's more, a deck could only have one copy of a given legendary creature, and if that creature entered the battlefield, the opponent could not cast their own copy if they had one.

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Legendary#Other_versions_of_the_legend_rule

quote:

From Legends to Champions of Kamigawa

Originally, only one creature of the same name, with the creature type Legend, could be in play at the same time. For a while, they were even on the restricted list, meaning there could be only one creature of the same name in each deck. This was changed around the time of Ice Age.[7][8][9]

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I had completely forgotten about the dice rolls to be honest. If you eliminated the dice rolls and just had some other way to planeshift I think it could probably work.

But then you'd probably need each player to bring a deck of planes that they could walk between.. and since they're oversized of course WotC would sell them in separate special packs.

Deck constructions becomes 60 card main deck, 15 card sideboard, 10 card planeshift deck. And naturally there will be rare/mythic rare planes that are the ones you actually want

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Like I said, Type 1 had them on the restricted list but one per deck was never part of the legend rule.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Like I trust one of the biggest nerd clickbait sites to get a Magic ruling right

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Magic players are exhausting

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Sixth color incoming. Phyrexia is cured or changed and becomes purple magic.

MTG Classic, reprinting old sets in their entirety alongside the normal releases.

Ante is back.

flip it or rip it becomes officially supported tournament format

New rules mean WOTC gets 10% of all third party sales and trades.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

whydirt posted:

No, exhaust is what other games do, Magic players are tapping.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Shahrazad is now legal in all formats and more subgame cards are coming in every set.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
while I don't personally ever remember the legend rule being a deckbuilding restriction, the wikia text sources the claim to two maro blog posts (not reliable) and an old WOTC arcana post (goes to a 404).

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

whydirt posted:

The thing you quoted isn’t right my friend. I’m sorry to tell you

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Historically, major rules changes have been to shift the game towards the way newer players play the game. Batches to a single stack, damage on the stack, deathtouch + trample, removing mana burn, burning Planeswalkers, the legend rule, etc. were all based on the way newer players assumed the game was played anyway. I don't see them changing the game in a way that will suddenly make kitchen table players suddenly be playing the game all wrong. What rules are difficult to explain to inexperienced players, or rules many people want changed and would go with what's being hinted at in the lore?

It's unlikely the legend rule will be changed to affect current legendary permanents. Maro has said he doesn't like the legendary supertype, but if they do away with it I think it would mean being retired going forward. No more legendary cards the same way there aren't more enchant world cards being printed. There would be some signifier that a card could be used as a commander. Maybe have the word "Legend" bolded below the card name, and change the Commander rules to "Legendary creatures and cards with the Legend signifier can be your commander". It would mean legendary cards couldn't be balanced around players only having one in play, but that's nothing they can't prepare for. Lore-wise why can a player control two Thruns (March of the Machines, #69)? Multiverse is weird.

No more Planeswalkers is an interesting one. They are overdone and not as exciting anymore*, and if the Multiverse is less multi and more uni then they're not special in the lore. Let's be honest, if they're gone as a card type then WotC won't be able to resist bringing them back in the future. A few years of Chandra, Karn, etc. as legendary creatures and then "The connection between planes is shattered and planeswalkers are back!" is a juicy marketing strategy.

* No matter how bad a planeswalker is, new players' faces still light up when they open a mythic planeswalker. Only Hasbro has the data if that's actually selling packs though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

LifeLynx posted:

were all based on the way newer players assumed the game was played anyway.

Removing a solo blocker now makes the attacking creature unblocked and able to damage the player/planeswalker :twisted:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
All cards from March of the Machine onward will be printed exclusively in the Phyrexian language. Better start brushing up on it while you can!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If only we had a name for the rule that all legends are on the restricted list. What could that be?

quote:

daracaex asked: At any point in Magic's history, was it ever considered to make Legendary a deckbuilding restriction instead of a gameplay one? Like, "You can only have one of any copy of a legendary creature in your deck."

Yes, that’s how it started. When legendary cards first premiered in Legends, they were restricted to one per deck. The high variance kept us from pushing them powerwise and we eventually changed the rule.

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/164904298373/at-any-point-in-magics-history-was-it-ever

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
You can now eat the cards and that will replace food tokens in the new eldraine set

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe the big update is the return of ante

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Mystery Announcement Stream with special guests MOP

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The big story thing is that Jace is dead. The big mechanical thing is that they're going to stop making Jace planeswalkers.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Due to a planeshifting accident, every card in the game is now Jace, The Something

I cast Jace, The Lightning Bolt for R

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Post Malone is now canon

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Set has some killer art if nothing else.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Due to a planeshifting accident, every card in the game is now Jace, The Something

I cast Jace, The Lightning Bolt for R

it's sort of like this, but

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Post Malone is now canon

on release they rip a sticker off that was concealing that the set is actually called Phyrexia: All Will Be Malone and all magic cards are now Post Malone based puns or names

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Qwertycoatl posted:

The big story thing is that Jace is dead. The big mechanical thing is that they're going to stop making Jace planeswalkers.

Good riddance hot topic boy, saints up

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The next set will be Jace's funeral and phyrexian jace, black jace, snake haired jace (spoiler his son with medusa), and his exact twin jesse the mind sculptor who just wants you to call him jace in honor of his poor departed twin brother will all show up vying for his legacy.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
As a child I read a Magic lore novel and Ante was a significant part of the final battle. That's back when players were planeswalkers though, much like mana burn getting shelved in 2009 I wonder when that changed.

Going to paper draft Dominaria Remastered on Friday. I've only drafted DMU so it'll be a lot of live card evaluation, I'm excited.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I can't believe everything is now Banding, including casting cost.

Serf
May 5, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

As a child I read a Magic lore novel and Ante was a significant part of the final battle. That's back when players were planeswalkers though, much like mana burn getting shelved in 2009 I wonder when that changed.

Going to paper draft Dominaria Remastered on Friday. I've only drafted DMU so it'll be a lot of live card evaluation, I'm excited.

Was it Arena? I read that book as a kid too, I thought it was funny that they basically just played Magic, with their spells being little items stored in a satchel with bags of dirt from their lands. Though they weren't planeswalkers, only the villain and the protagonist (eventually) were walkers.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

bagrada posted:

The next set will be Jace's funeral and phyrexian jace, black jace, snake haired jace (spoiler his son with medusa), and his exact twin jesse the mind sculptor who just wants you to call him jace in honor of his poor departed twin brother will all show up vying for his legacy.

It'll be like we never lost Landfill!

Edit: the game changer will be a new mechanic named Landfill, where once a turn you can discard a nonland card.to tutor up a basic land

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Serf posted:

Was it Arena? I read that book as a kid too, I thought it was funny that they basically just played Magic, with their spells being little items stored in a satchel with bags of dirt from their lands. Though they weren't planeswalkers, only the villain and the protagonist (eventually) were walkers.

Yeah, those details line up.

There's a bit near the end, not the final fight but he has to fight a duel against a woman he'd been traveling with? She wanted it to be "to the death" and when he wins he angrily snatches a spell out of her satchel and says "I only wanted to play for a spell!". Right before he planeswalks, iirc.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
ONE art gallery: https://imgur.com/a/PAAlLwZ

so sick holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I can’t believe Black Mana is loving dead.