Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

I got some accessories for my cart and my wife is taking me to Vegas in February to watch the LVC in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
No gifts to report, but a end of year review:

My first post in this thread was May 6th. I was coming off a 5-year hiatus and this was my form throwing about 300-320':
https://i.imgur.com/i5oJdlx.mp4

Here is at the end of the year, today, and u-disc measured this throw at 437':
https://i.imgur.com/W8QQDqD.mp4

* I played in 4 events, all non-sanctioned random draw doubles
* Turned my lunch breaks at work into daily field work sessions -> I estimate I had between 150 and 200 field days this year.
* I got 2 exciting overuse injuries; a hand stress fracture early in the year and then shin splints in my plant leg later
* Threw my longest measured drive ever at 550' with a 168g gstar boss (~30' of elevation and a tailwind with a road skip but it landed in bounds so count it)
* I got zero aces, but hit a basket with a left hand drive, and hit a black-ace where I threw into the short basket while aiming long.
* I started throwing left hand this year due to hand injuries and set a personal best of 310' left handed.
* I bought an ungodly amount of discs we don't need to talk about that
* Played rounds at 10 different courses in 4 different states

Next year: putting putting putting putting I hit about 50% from 20', and 10% from 33' when I practice and I need help frankly

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wasn't gifted anything disc golf related, but I got myself a new actual bag! Before this I used either an old backpack or a small camera shoulder bag. The camera bag was perfect for 6-8 discs, but had no room for anything else. I settled on the Axiom Voyager Lite, which seems like a bag with a good layout, without paying for a Grip bag.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I just started playing in March of 2022 with a group of friends/coworkers as a completely clueless newbie. What started out as a monthly goof off game, turned in to a full blown obsession by August. As a 45 year old dude that hasn't been terribly engaged in anything remotely athletic in 30 years, I'm having a blast.

This holiday season I went a little nuts buying disc golf stuff for myself. Discmania mystery box, a nice practice basket, an Upper Park Rebel bag, and probably another 20 or so random discs. Next up I'm going to have to figure out some disc storage with all the excess stuff I currently can't or don't throw.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
These boxes are excellent (but cheaper at Walmart): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1PS2TS/. I know someone who runs a mobile store and he keeps his thousands of discs of inventory in these.

These are OK too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V5LVBLR/

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Haven’t played a round by myself in months and had the opportunity to ditch work and play my favorite local course with just me myself and my dog today. gently caress this game can be so incredibly relaxing if you want it to be. Played like poo poo, probably 12 over but felt like my best round of the year. Strange game.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bandire posted:

I just started playing in March of 2022 with a group of friends/coworkers as a completely clueless newbie. What started out as a monthly goof off game, turned in to a full blown obsession by August. As a 45 year old dude that hasn't been terribly engaged in anything remotely athletic in 30 years, I'm having a blast.

This holiday season I went a little nuts buying disc golf stuff for myself. Discmania mystery box, a nice practice basket, an Upper Park Rebel bag, and probably another 20 or so random discs. Next up I'm going to have to figure out some disc storage with all the excess stuff I currently can't or don't throw.

If you have an IKEA near you, there’s a really great shelf that is the perfect size for discs that I use. I’ll see if I can find the name when I get home.

Where’s Simon going? MVP? Infinite? Franklin?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Franklin would be hilarious. I threw one of their drivers a few years ago and it was the most under stable thing I've ever thrown. Like, past roller angles.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NickRoweFillea posted:

If you have an IKEA near you, there’s a really great shelf that is the perfect size for discs that I use. I’ll see if I can find the name when I get home.

Where’s Simon going? MVP? Infinite? Franklin?

Yeah I found these after a little more searching. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vesken-shelf-unit-black-30450807/

I bookmarked it for later. The box my new vacuum came in was almost the perfect size and fit neatly under my bed, so I just hacked it up a little. This will do for now.

Blurb3947 posted:

Franklin would be hilarious. I threw one of their drivers a few years ago and it was the most under stable thing I've ever thrown. Like, past roller angles.

That's the joke. They only make dogshit token effort starter pack discs as far as I know.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How has nobody done a franklin driver distance competition on youtube. That's a 10/10 vlogmas concept.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Threw an Albatross once. Hideous disc, that

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
So I broke the radial bone of my right arm about a month ago and it looks like it's going to be a while until I'm able to throw discs using that hand again. I still want to throw though so I guess I'm going to give learning to throw lefty a go. Have any of you tried learning to throw with your off-hand?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Placeholder posted:

So I broke the radial bone of my right arm about a month ago and it looks like it's going to be a while until I'm able to throw discs using that hand again. I still want to throw though so I guess I'm going to give learning to throw lefty a go. Have any of you tried learning to throw with your off-hand?

I have not but best of luck! If you can get good at that you won’t have to ever throw forehand again.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Placeholder posted:

My forehand is so bad that I've given it some serious consideration. I played baseball in my youth, so off hand backhand feels pretty familiar.

I watched a video where some guys compared that Franklin starter set with other sets and they are irredeemable trash. The "mid range" and "driver" are virtually identical and flip over immediately.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 10, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
13 bucks shipped I'm checking out this franklin set and I'm going to prove the haters wrong by sending a 400' albatross shot at my local park which is also called franklin.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm sure the laugh you get out of it will be worth the 13 bucks but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g26kdVS0yw&t=19s

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

I (regretfully) bought one of those Franklin folding baskets when I was first getting into the sport and it came with a set of those discs. They literally hurt to hold and were completely uncontrollable. They’re so bad that it seems almost intentional.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Placeholder posted:

My buddy had roughly the same thing happen to him. He honestly got pretty decent with his offhand, and he now has offhand throws in his bag when he needs them. As good as his dominant hand? Definitely not, but good to have in a pinch.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Simon to MVP! Between him and James Conrad, Team MVP is now “Team Most Likable Guys on Tour”

Plus, check out the glow Hex tour series. I got a Hex from the space race last year but I’ll def be getting another…the addiction to plastic is real.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

NickRoweFillea posted:

Simon to MVP! Between him and James Conrad, Team MVP is now “Team Most Likable Guys on Tour”

Plus, check out the glow Hex tour series. I got a Hex from the space race last year but I’ll def be getting another… the addiction to plastic is real.

Seriously. I've never even held any MVP discs, but I watched Simon's new in the bag video and now I'm intrigued. I did end up dropping by Ikea for a couple of those Vesken shelves, so fortunately I have a lot more space to fill.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Simon is the perfect get for them. No one has more control imo. If anyone can show off MVP weirdness, it’s Simon. Psyched to see how the season unfolds. I’m personally hoping for some Matty O. wins

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I've got some friends who swear by MVP and now having another huge pro with them makes me even more compelled to try their discs. I've got the Hex which I like a lot.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I just added a lightweight wave to my bag even though I can barely throw 9 speed. Too many people told me I should try it

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

headcase posted:

I just added a lightweight wave to my bag even though I can barely throw 9 speed. Too many people told me I should try it

Sounds like you need a Virus, homie.

Also that bag video with Simon is pretty cool, really showcases how terrible I am at disc golf but he seems like a chill dude and I hope he wins everything.

I’ve got a bunch of higher speed mvp plastic from those gyro boxes I’m probably not going to use that much. If anyone wants to trade or whatever, pm me?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mcqueen posted:

Sounds like you need a Virus, homie.

Also that bag video with Simon is pretty cool, really showcases how terrible I am at disc golf but he seems like a chill dude and I hope he wins everything.

I’ve got a bunch of higher speed mvp plastic from those gyro boxes I’m probably not going to use that much. If anyone wants to trade or whatever, pm me?

What are you looking for? I would trade premium plastic mako3s, emac truths (including a pdga custom stamp one), a md5 (discontinued), halo leopard3, heat, undertaker, wraiths, jet, pharaoh, xcal?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'm getting back into the sport as I've been on and off since 2017. Simon moving to MVP is what has finally got me to try some of their discs. I'll be able to try them out once it warms up a bit here in missouri.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

What are you looking for? I would trade premium plastic mako3s, emac truths (including a pdga custom stamp one), a md5 (discontinued), halo leopard3, heat, undertaker, wraiths, jet, pharaoh, xcal?

ygm

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Everyone ITT needs to throw the Envy. It is a perfect disc

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Everyone ITT needs to throw the Envy. It is a perfect disc

:hmmyes:

I own 6 and will probably buy another just for home putting practice, lol

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

I own 6 and will probably buy another just for home putting practice, lol

TIL they sell 12 packs. I am thinking about switching to this for putting. I cant seem to get comfortable with any putter. Do y'all have any recs? I've put in time with aviar, fierce, and luna.

I almost exclusively throw envies on approach now, and had a 100 foot flick throw in from the rough today. Might as well learn to putt with it!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm a complete novice, but I've got probably 7 different molds and have practiced a ton with all of them. I really like the Discmania Link for putting. It's got a very slight bead on the rim that just feels great to me.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

headcase posted:

TIL they sell 12 packs. I am thinking about switching to this for putting. I cant seem to get comfortable with any putter. Do y'all have any recs? I've put in time with aviar, fierce, and luna.

I almost exclusively throw envies on approach now, and had a 100 foot flick throw in from the rough today. Might as well learn to putt with it!

Stabilizer feels good to me when I’m not playing good. Fierce when I’m feeling it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

headcase posted:

For putting I generally use either an envy, pilot, or berg, depending on the situation. Glow rounds are a bit different, I need to get a glow berg actually, but the homie is still a mostly stable putter.

I have multiple envies that are honestly pretty interchangeable, although the lighter one I use for driving/approach.

Pilots are nice and floaty and overstable, and the berg I love just cause I can throw it like an ultimate disc, like that thing I have a great control over.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I've found my stride with the Pure for regular putts, an aviar3 for jumpers, headwinds and approaches. Absolutely love how the Aviar3 glides.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I wanted a shallow feeling putter and settled on the Proxy. It's not the shallowest but it's a significantly different feel than an Aviar or P2. The wing is just a little different than the Envy and feels better putting your finger on the side.

Also it's the real best throwing putter.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I used to putt with Envy and I still love it for approaches. But I tried a Loft Hydrogen and it’s the straightest drat disc I’ve ever thrown.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I want something I can get a million of easily, and i like the idea of not having a ton of different molds. This leads me to trying the envy. I just didn't realize its something people putt with.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Yeah i wouldn’t putt with one! Great to throw though.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lmao drat