Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HPanda posted:

I think we all have a George Santos in our lives.

I had a friend like this once who, while not on the level of Santos, would just flat out make poo poo up; usually in the form of anecdotes. Weirdest thing was, on more than one occasion, I heard him repeating a funny or unusual story that he claimed he was involved in that actually happened to ME and was an incident I had told him about. He'd even do this in front of me sometimes.

Other thing he'd do was if someone was, say, discussing a movie or a book, he'd claim to have seen it or read it even if he hadn't. I guess so as just to be a part of the conversation? HE had nothing to really gain from this or to lose by just saying "no I've never seen Blade Runner" and I'm not sure where the level of shame or whatever it was might come from admitting he'd never read Lord of the Flies or what have you.

AFAIK, he didn't embellish his work history and poo poo to further his career or anything but he really wanted to be a part of certain conversations for whatever reason.

Discendo Vox posted:

George Santos used to go by a different name: John Barron.

Chauncey Gardner

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I knew a girl that invented a daughter, that was the closest thing to Santos-level confabulation

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nine-gear crow posted:

Either that or he murdered the original George Santos and stole his life completely like a changeling or a brood parasite.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Other thing he'd do was if someone was, say, discussing a movie or a book, he'd claim to have seen it or read it even if he hadn't. I guess so as just to be a part of the conversation? HE had nothing to really gain from this or to lose by just saying "no I've never seen Blade Runner" and I'm not sure where the level of shame or whatever it was might come from admitting he'd never read Lord of the Flies or what have you.

i did this a lot in my early 20s. had a lot of trauma about being "othered" and not part of social groups in HS/college that when i was in "the workforce" i desperately wanted to fit in and so would pretend to know whatever people were talking about so i could be involved.

i eventually was able to deal with some of my issues via therapy and junk and don't do that anymore, but i really understand where this all comes from. the yearning for belonging and acceptance and being part of an in group is powerful

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Next we're going to find out "Santos" swapped names with someone else killed in Afghanistan and then he worked at a prestigious New York ad agency.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I knew a guy in high school who would tell us all sorts of stuff, including that he was 16th in line for the throne of England, or that his uncle was a mob boss and was planning to make him the new Don... at 17 years old. He once even said that he was going to set up a massive music festival on our high school football field, and he made a page-long list of all of the biggest music artists at that time, saying that he had personal connections to all of them, and could get them to play at our New Hampshire high school.

And at one point, he told a story about how his family came to this country - that his ancestor had stowed away on a ship illegally, and when he got found out as the boat was coming into shore, he slipped out of his jacket and jumped in the water so that he could swim to safety. Naturally he was a good storyteller and made this sound epic, but of course we all wrote this off as another one of his fables. But then years later another friend told me that exact same story - verified by his dad, because it turned out that they were distantly related, and that story was true.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Ulty posted:

I knew a guy in high school who would tell us all sorts of stuff, including that he was 16th in line for the throne of England, or that his uncle was a mob boss and was planning to make him the new Don... at 17 years old.

It would be cool if there was a dynastic marriage that united the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha with the House ot Gambino

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
How is there not a mechanism for removing someone like Santos from office when he clearly only got in by lying about everything? It's ridiculous.

Also a second set of classified documents has hit the Biden administration. This time in his garage in his Delaware home.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

BonoMan posted:

How is there not a mechanism for removing someone like Santos from office when he clearly only got in by lying about everything? It's ridiculous.

Also a second set of classified documents has hit the Biden administration. This time in his garage in his Delaware home.

There is! It's in the Constitution. Too bad about needing a 2/3 majority, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BonoMan posted:

There is, but like so many other things we are discovering these days, it's conditioned on most of Congress being willing to put country over party.

quote:

We gotta start calling him Joey Documentseed

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Judgy Fucker posted:

There is! It's in the Constitution. Too bad about needing a 2/3 majority, though.

Well yeah, but I mean something else that's more of an automatic disqualifier "you ain't even getting sworn in because you clearly defrauded the voters" thing.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

His real name is Santos L. Halper.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

There is a mechanism for removing a House rep, but a significant portion of his own party would need to be on board with removing him. And politicians lying to win elections is pretty par for the course, so it remains to be seen whether this will actually be scandalous enough.

Ultimately, the really ridiculous thing is that the press and his opponent both failed to notice any of it. The NYT revealed all this stuff a month after the election, which is unusual timing. I would really love to hear the backstory on how this stuff came to their attention in the first place. Was it an independent investigation or were they tipped off? When did they realize something was up? How long did they sit on the story before going to print?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

In Michigan, the Dems seem to be good:

https://twitter.com/CraigDMauger/status/1613273160710868993

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Santos wasn’t found out because political operators and reporters aren’t hired with competence (in the way you’d imagine competence at those jobs being defined) as the primary consideration by the people doing the hiring.

Kim Kelly is easily one of the best labor and heavy metal music reporters, either beat she is an incredible get. So what of her two specialties gets published in the NYT? Guess.

If you’re not hiring IF Stones, you are hiring the kind of people who aren’t capable of producing news that is relevant and will actually afflict the comfortable, and comfort the afflicted, a good standard baseline for good reportage. The NYT’s editorial decisions outside the news desk make it completely obvious why the news desk sucks. David Brooks. David French. Rich people wedding stories. Landlord-centric stories about housing. It never ends over there, because they’re doing the job as expected by their bosses.

What you expect from the NYT and what the bosses who run the NYT expect are at cross purposes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Main Paineframe posted:

There is a mechanism for removing a House rep, but a significant portion of his own party would need to be on board with removing him. And politicians lying to win elections is pretty par for the course, so it remains to be seen whether this will actually be scandalous enough.

Ultimately, the really ridiculous thing is that the press and his opponent both failed to notice any of it. The NYT revealed all this stuff a month after the election, which is unusual timing. I would really love to hear the backstory on how this stuff came to their attention in the first place. Was it an independent investigation or were they tipped off? When did they realize something was up? How long did they sit on the story before going to print?

Their election coverage was already full up on stoking fears of lawless anarchy as crime skyrockets. So there wasn't any time to cover a pathological liar who it turns out didn't fly to Hong Kong to compete in a secret ancient death match tournament.

Their post election coverage was also full up of musing about where the disinformation about terrible crime waves was coming from. So it's really pretty reasonable that it took a whole month to get around to figuring out New York's first 5th degree ninjitsu grandmaster Congressman was a fake.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Pete Ricketts has Blagojevich'd his way to the Senate, as we all expected would happen when Ben Sasse resigned.

https://twitter.com/ChrisDunkerLJS/status/1613551866696048642?t=ND-uk4QduEe5RAAIpLl-_A&s=19

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Still absolutely insane to think that was the series finale of The Simpsons. What a way to end that show.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Trivia posted:

His real name is Santos L. Halper.

:discourse:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

BonoMan posted:

I wonder how many electeds that have handled classified docs are out in their garages right now asking their wives where that box they brought from the office went.

Next we'll hear that Carter found some on his peanut farm and Dubya's been using the backs for doodling self portraits.

I guess everything really is a sequel now. 2023 just had to be bigger, louder, crazier...

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Tech company that services the Democrats' fundraising efforts has just laid off 10% of its workforce, with at least 28% of those layoffs being directed at workers and management under the legacy NGPVAN/EA business entity, which is the unionized arm of the business.

https://twitter.com/akela_lacy/status/1613601002585718803

Bonterra is owned by a UK-based investment firm that positions itself as an investment firm looking to invest in social good called Apax Partners

Other than the Democrat party, Bonterra's Everyaction platform serves NARAL Pro-Choice America, AFL-CIO, UFCW, and AFSCME.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

nine-gear crow posted:

Still absolutely insane to think that was the series finale of The Simpsons. What a way to end that show.
huh, i always thought it ended when they lowered some rando named grimes into the ground. guess there were a couple more seasons i didn't see

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So now Biden has a special counsel to investigate the classified documents at his office and residence.

I think there's no way in hell Trump gets indicted for hiding the documents at Mar A Lago now. Even though the situations were very different and Trump was purposely trying to keep them even after multiple negotiations to get them back. I think that's not going to matter now. If the precedent gets set that taking classified files is just what presidents do, then I don't see how any of them end up getting indicted. And we don't even know what will happen between now and the end of the special counsel investigations. What if documents are found in Obama's offices? Like someone else in this thread said, probably ever living former president is having their offices searched right now after today's revelations.

Not to mention the decorum angle and Garlands extreme sensitivity to looking political and partisan. Can we really expect him to indict Trump and not Biden knowing the explosion of right wing rage that will result from it?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Trump was never going to see any real consequences form the documents at MAL regardless of this.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cunningham posted:

What's also wild about this situation is that the student could have said their thing - "Hamline is racist!" or whatever - and the university could have said something like, "we appreciate the opportunity to have a public dialogue about the subject/we appreciate all viewpoints," etc., and, if they really didn't like what the adjunct did, months later they could just not renew the contract. This entire PR nightmare could have been avoided easily.

The lecturer isn’t white so maybe they thought that angle would detract from the message.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is probably going to end up like Hillary's emails where it turns out everybody in every cabinet has The_Nuclear_Secrets.txt sitting on top of their desk most of the day. I guess you're getting a sense now of why nobody showed up to Mar-a-Lago with a set of black bags and cattle prods.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

World Famous W posted:

huh, i always thought it ended when they lowered some rando named grimes into the ground. guess there were a couple more seasons i didn't see

There were four other episodes between "Homer's Enemy" and "The Principal and the Pauper", yes. Including the "Homer visits the World Trade Center" episode :eng101:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Trump was never going to see any real consequences form the documents at MAL regardless of this.

Agreed. Look at the class position of the offender and actual crime and penalties for previous cases, and this all resolves itself. Sandy Berger vs Reality Winner is a fun comparison.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

So now Biden has a special counsel to investigate the classified documents at his office and residence.

I think there's no way in hell Trump gets indicted for hiding the documents at Mar A Lago now. Even though the situations were very different and Trump was purposely trying to keep them even after multiple negotiations to get them back. I think that's not going to matter now. If the precedent gets set that taking classified files is just what presidents do, then I don't see how any of them end up getting indicted. And we don't even know what will happen between now and the end of the special counsel investigations. What if documents are found in Obama's offices? Like someone else in this thread said, probably ever living former president is having their offices searched right now after today's revelations.

Not to mention the decorum angle and Garlands extreme sensitivity to looking political and partisan. Can we really expect him to indict Trump and not Biden knowing the explosion of right wing rage that will result from it?

There's nothing wrong with a special counsel investigating both. They both should be investigated, because we're talking about classified documents. If Biden's mishandling of the classified docs is, as it appears facially, to be purely accidental and corrected by his team when discovered, then it should be a pretty open-and-shut case. If the government seriously cannot differentiate between this and someone who intended to steal classified documents and then failed to return them, then that's a separate, far more serious thing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fart Amplifier posted:

There's nothing wrong with a special counsel investigating both. They both should be investigated, because we're talking about classified documents. If Biden's mishandling of the classified docs is, as it appears facially, to be purely accidental and corrected by his team when discovered, then it should be a pretty open-and-shut case. If the government seriously cannot differentiate between this and someone who intended to steal classified documents and then failed to return them, then that's a separate, far more serious thing.

Exactly. Also again a huge difference between Biden's people immediately informing the National Archives and Trump's people constantly stonewalling the National Archives.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Fart Amplifier posted:

This is the logical take.

Which is, of course, exactly why conservatives are currently discussing how this is actually all part of a plot by Kamala and the Dem establishment to replace Biden now so KH can have a 10 year term.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what the House GOP does with this. This feels like somewhat juicier bait than their boring "black sheep kid" content.

Gaetz and Jordan are probably sprinting over to McCarthy's office right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fart Amplifier posted:

this. i am happy they are doing this because its just being safe and making sure their isnt a bigger gently caress up or something. plus on a purely dickhead partisan politics sense, it takes alot of the wind out of the chuds sails over this because even less people will care.

-Blackadder- posted:

Which is, of course, exactly why conservatives are currently discussing how this is actually all part of a plot by Kamala and the Dem establishment to replace Biden now so KH can have a 10 year term.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what the House GOP does with this. This feels like somewhat juicier bait than their boring "black sheep kid" content.

oh i am sure they will try to impeach him over it and tie it to all the right wing billshit, but poo poo usually gains legs because their is an attempted cover up, biden has rightly been open with everything.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

There’s literally no way to know if Biden has been open about everything without an investigation, LOL. Let’s not get too comfortable about the honesty of American politicians, particularly one known for just wholesale stealing another guys biography among other lies, just yet.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

I'm not saying the special counsel shouldn't have been appointed for the Biden case, I agree with you on that. And you're right that they are 2 very different cases, and the DOJ knows that. But Garland knows if he chooses to indict Trump the right wing is going to go ballistic if he doesn't also indict Biden because to them they are the same exact situations. And you might be thinking "Who cares what the chuds think?" And you'd be right, but Garland may have a much different calculus. He may decide it's more important to look impartial than to prosecute criminal behavior.

And like others have said this all sort of irrelevant anyway considering the unlikelihood that Trump would be indicted regardless of anything Biden did.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't think Garland of all people is going to be concerned that the right wing were going to do the thing they were going to do anyways.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
My only issue is naming a special counsel for Trump took a long time and naming one for Biden was almost reflexive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Let's be realistic here. McCarthy would be called to Gaetz's office, not the other way around.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

The problem for Trump was never that he took home classified files. The problem was that he knew he had classified files, concealed them from the government, and failed to fully cooperate when the government found out. That's what elevates it from "mistake" to "crime".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BDawg posted:

My only issue is naming a special counsel for Trump took a long time and naming one for Biden was almost reflexive.

A special council is just someone the DOJ appoints if it could be perceived they were biased in the case. Biden being the sitting President makes that a pretty easy decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem for Trump was never that he took home classified files. The problem was that he knew he had classified files, concealed them from the government, and failed to fully cooperate when the government found out. That's what elevates it from "mistake" to "crime".

Let he who hasn't shown off classified documents to visitors just for clout, then fought the government tooth an nail to keep said documents cast the first stone.