Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Sudden Javelin posted:

at risk of sounding like out of touch bourgeois scum, I don't think having an Internet connection in 2009 is a sign of opulent wealth, particularly if you've afforded both the game and handheld

Even as a kid who frequently went to libraries in the late oughts, I could never find an internet connection for my DS. Though maybe that's more to blame with how I was 14 and didn't figure out what they were until a few months after I bought Pokemon White?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe not a full wealth axis exactly, but even in 2009 - heck, even in 2023 - there are places in the US where you just don't have good internet access.

Eimi posted:

wait if wyvern rider and griffin rider are the advanced classes, is there no falco knight?
correct.

Pegasus Knights are split into Sword/Lance/Axe Flier. They promote into either Wyvern Rider or Griffon Rider. Wyvern Rider get to choose sword, lance, or axe to gain on top of whatever they had unpromoted, griffon riders gain staves to be a flying healer. You'd think Falcoknights could fit into this by gaining bows like Kinshi Knights in Fates, but I guess they wanted to stick to two obvious promotions per base class.

Dark Flier also doesn't exist as a base class, the only flying mages seem to be Hortensia and Ivy, who both have unique classes. (Ivy rides a Wyvern, Hortensia a Pegasus.)

The 4th wave of DLC mentions additional classes, so its possible Dark Flier will exist there, like how it was DLC in Three Houses.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
fair, I'm in the UK and we all live on top of each other so access is good

The original DS could also only detect WEP iirc. I'm not very tech-minded but I believe most connections swiftly moved to WPA because WEP was ludicrously easy to crack

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Look, the need for female spaces for growth and safety is something that I recognise.

But I think that the restriction of men from things which have already been coded as female dominated is counterproductive to the overall goal.

It is significantly more powerful and subversive in the status quo for a man to be allowed to wear a cute skirt and fly on a pretty flying horse than it is for them to be restricted to women.

That being said if you restricted Brawler to women and Pegasus knights to men, I'd consider that to be really loving interesting.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Canadian living in the GTA here, in case it's relevant.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Delphisage posted:

They did have Falcoknights in FE11, but restricted it to only being accessible to players with internet connections in 2009 because screw poor people. Especially dickish thanks to Dracoknights still having their relatively low speed caps from GBA.

I don’t think cost is the issue here, it’s that a rotating shop is terrible for a linear and finite game like Fire Emblem. There’s also the fact that Wi-Fi servers are long gone now, so if you play Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon in the year of our lord 2023 you’re gonna need a proxy server or modified version of the game to use, for example, a Brave weapon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

It is significantly more powerful and subversive in the status quo for a man to be allowed to wear a cute skirt and fly on a pretty flying horse than it is for them to be restricted to women.
sure but i dont really expect subversion of the status quo from fire emblem

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
it's called liberty city, GTA is just the title

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t think cost is the issue here, it’s that a rotating shop is terrible for a linear and finite game like Fire Emblem. There’s also the fact that Wi-Fi servers are long gone now, so if you play Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon in the year of our lord 2023 you’re gonna need a proxy server or modified version of the game to use, for example, a Brave weapon.

Dragon Quest 9 really got hosed by this

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Falcoknights never resulting in the rider riding a falcon so gently caress that class I hope it never comes back.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess it’s not quite related to pegasus knights, but Endorph’s post made me think about how wyvern riders are pretty evenly divided between male/females with usually the guy coming later so it’s more likely you’ll use Jill or Cherche than FE9 Haar or Gerome. I think pegasus knights being gender locked is neat/cool as just a series staple, but also I think when people complain about it they’re thinking about gender locked classes in general like how girls can’t be in dedicated punch classes outside of DLC in 3H or guys can’t be gremories, which is kinda lame because girls should be all kinds of cool classes like armor knights/axe fighters more often. Thankfully this game doesn’t seem to have done that since girls can punch and be axe fighters, which kinda fixes that problem, and pegs being girl locked doesn’t really seem impactful mechanically unlike 3H since once you’d be able to reclass you can just promote to a flier instead.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

sure but i dont really expect subversion of the status quo from fire emblem

What are the franchises you'd expect status quo subversion from?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Funky Valentine posted:

Falcoknights never resulting in the rider riding a falcon so gently caress that class I hope it never comes back.

It's fine, just grab a bird laguz and toss a dude aboard.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sudden Javelin posted:

Dragon Quest 9 really got hosed by this

:smith::hf::smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Delphisage posted:

What are the franchises you'd expect status quo subversion from?
project sekai colorful stage featuring hatsune miku

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Last Celebration posted:

I guess it’s not quite related to pegasus knights, but Endorph’s post made me think about how wyvern riders are pretty evenly divided between male/females with usually the guy coming later so it’s more likely you’ll use Jill or Cherche than FE9 Haar or Gerome.

That's mostly thanks to the first dracoknight, Minerva, being not only female, but a significantly important one. So female (usually red-armored) dracoknights ended up enshrined just as archetypically as red-and-green cavalier pairs and blond-haired mercenary swordfighters.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 12, 2023

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Minerva rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the only fe games where your primary wyvern is male are fe7 and fe8. The rest of the time male wyvern riders are either lategame prepromotes or ests.

Tho deen is definitely better than eda in thracia

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

Tho deen is definitely better than eda in thracia

Poor Eda, getting recruited at the same time as a promoted equivalent with maxed weapon ranks and exclusive access to an OP lance.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 12, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Natural 20 posted:

That being said if you restricted Brawler to women and Pegasus knights to men, I'd consider that to be really loving interesting.

This gave me visions of an obviously straight and masculine-coded man riding the pretty horse. I'm talking like, a Geralt type of guy on a pink pegasus and when people point it out he goes "yeah? you got a problem with my war steed?" and they shut up pretty quickly. His wife can be a brawler.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pegasi hating men lore goes far beyond Fire Emblen

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Deltasquid posted:

This gave me visions of an obviously straight and masculine-coded man riding the pretty horse. I'm talking like, a Geralt type of guy on a pink pegasus and when people point it out he goes "yeah? you got a problem with my war steed?" and they shut up pretty quickly. His wife can be a brawler.

Ah so Bellerophon then.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pegasi hating men lore goes far beyond Fire Emblen

It's not actually that common.

It's much more true for unicorns. But the pegasus is pretty much just a war steed and was seen as such by the Greeks who came up with the myth.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We should compromise and make unicorn riders that are male only. That way no one is happy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hellioning posted:

We should compromise and make unicorn riders that are male only. That way no one is happy.

Hell yeah.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
When videos games and also gamers stop having a misogyny problem, then we can share pegasi with men, as a reward.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hellioning posted:

How about narwhal riders?

"You watch the seas, I'll watch the skies" as husband and wife cover both approaches to the castle

They can be red and green, too, as a treat

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hellioning posted:

The horses in 3 Houses were bizarre unicorns for some reason. They should continue that imo.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I don't really care about gender distribution for classes now that numerous romhacks have already done every possible combination by now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The big Q+A Thread makes me question why Sommeil is even there outside of twitter sharing memes. You can't even do the basic thing and let them keep the costumes during support convos, why?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Remove class change but bring back FE8 promotion where you get your pick of advanced classes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the broader reclassing is, the weirder gender restrictions are imo. It's significantly less weird to have all berserkers be men and all pegasus knights be women when there's two of each in the entire game, than it is when the entire cast can become anything other than The One Thing Their Gender Can't Do

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Nanomashoes posted:

Remove class change but bring back FE8 promotion where you get your pick of advanced classes.

This is kinda-more-or-less what Engage has if you ignore second seals if you squint a little. Every base class has their choice of two advanced classes

I think the only difference would be that there's no advanced class overlap (i.e every advanced class is wholly unique to their base class).

edit: oh and I think because base Fliers (the peg knights) are gender-restricted, male units can only become fly if they second seal from an advanced class into Griffin/Wyvern Knight. Maybe, not sure.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Endorph posted:

2) engage meter starts full at the start of battles (ltc city probably)

lol. lmao

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I better save my Engages, in case I need them later in the map : )

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

cheetah7071 posted:

the broader reclassing is, the weirder gender restrictions are imo. It's significantly less weird to have all berserkers be men and all pegasus knights be women when there's two of each in the entire game, than it is when the entire cast can become anything other than The One Thing Their Gender Can't Do

Yeah, this is it. If you’re doing freeform reclassing, let anyone be anything. Otherwise, a character’s class options should say something about them and the culture they come from.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Engage meters starting off full feels like an absolutely wild decision on paper. The alpha strike potential is nuts. Now I'm really curious if maps are designed around that or not.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 12, 2023

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
frankly hosed up the game call engaged doesn't have s-ranks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

Engage meters starting off full feels like an absolutely wild decision on paper. The alpha strike potential is nuts. Now I'm really curious if maps are designed around that or not.
the main game breaking potential feels like it'd be in byleth + sigurd + celica.

though one thing i do like about the engage mechanic is unlike pair-up in awakening/fates you can actually fully turn it off by just not equipping the engages. in those games even if you didnt actively pair up just having units next to each other would activate it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Gonna have to put my switch on it’s side to play this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

the main game breaking potential feels like it'd be in byleth + sigurd + celica.

though one thing i do like about the engage mechanic is unlike pair-up in awakening/fates you can actually fully turn it off by just not equipping the engages. in those games even if you didnt actively pair up just having units next to each other would activate it.

Yeah I'd agree, those three are the ones that feel like they "break the rules" more than the others, either with extreme mobility or just going nuts with the action economy (Byleth).

I keep reminding myself to keep pair up and battalions in mind when I'm thinking about the effect of engages, too. It's not a system that's just showing up out of nowhere--it has precursors in pair up and battalions, which had their own really powerful things. Hell engages might even be less wild than Awakening's version of pair up in some ways, plus they let you actively use all of your deployed units instead of merging them into a smaller number of super-units with pair up.