Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Coasterphreak posted:

At this point, idc if we ship Ukraine a fully loaded Nimitz class and tell them to have fun. We have enough of the loving things.

One loaded Ohio SSGN could just about end the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

One of the great lessons of this war (and Iraq, repeatedly) is that one big strike of 100+ cruise missiles is scary and bad, but sure doesn’t win a regional land war.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Stultus Maximus posted:

I dunno about an SSGN, but an Ohio SSBN would.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

standard.deviant posted:

I dunno about an SSGN, but an Ohio SSBN would.

Or we could just park a full fleet in the Black Sea and tell Russia to knock it off, but that won’t happen unfortunately.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A.o.D. posted:

T-72 is a worse tank, but it's not a bad tank. It's a hell of a lot better than no tank.

Exactly. The problem is that there are no tanks to replace them with.

The US has M1s to spare, but doesn't want to part with any and and if goon testimonials are to be trusted, their they are so heavy and their powerplants are so thirsty and fragile it's doubtful if anyone else would want them.

No other tank is available in any meaningful numbers within the next few years, unless a number of European countries are willing to take the gamble that they can part with theirs and be underequipped for however many years it takes for European or Korean manufacturers to replenish their tank fleets.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

not caring here posted:

I've never seen the aux generator, so while I don't doubt it is a thing, you might have been hearing that sweet, delicious heater that makes napping in the field such a sinful delight.

We had APUs on our M1A1s back in the '90s. As has been said they keep the sights, hydraulics, and radios running so you can conserve fuel. They were pretty drat loud though. My platoon was cross attached to an Infantry company for a while and the CO hated the generators.

The heater doesn't make a lot of noise--mainly because it never loving worked. It's not a deadline item so we never got parts.

Running and maintaining an Abrams is surprisingly easy at the crew level. Keep a close eye on fluid levels, track tension, and clean your v-packs. If anything craps out you can pull it and replace it quickly. If I remember right you can pull a power pack in 15 minutes and install a new one in 30. We could send a supply of spare packs along with any M-1s being donated to bridge the higher echelon logistics gap. We have a shitload of Abrams on hand--Ukraine should get some of them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Coasterphreak posted:

Or we could just park a full fleet in the Black Sea and tell Russia to knock it off, but that won’t happen unfortunately.

I don’t think fighting Turkey and Russia simultaneously is a good idea. It’s already a bad idea to start a war with Russia.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Coasterphreak posted:

Chronosphere the USS Missouri into the Dnipro River

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t think fighting Turkey and Russia simultaneously is a good idea. It’s already a bad idea to start a war with Russia.

Turkey probably wouldn't care other than lodging complaints.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Turkey pretty much controls access to the black sea.

Erdogan would probably be vocal about it, but let it happen with enough grease for his palm and more equipment for his military.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The US has M1s to spare, but doesn't want to part with any

We were happy to sell a bunch of them to the Saudis to get blown up in their own imperialist bullshit, why not part with some more for a better cause? At the very least, Poland already has some, let them donate their Leos and T-series tanks, backfill with Abrams to unify their fleets?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arrath posted:

We were happy to sell a bunch of them to the Saudis to get blown up in their own imperialist bullshit, why not part with some more for a better cause? At the very least, Poland already has some, let them donate their Leos and T-series tanks, backfill with Abrams to unify their fleets?

If there's one thing the Saudis have, its money and a LOT of fuel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Either would help and both are being obstinately withheld, probably mostly because the countries that produce them are embarrassingly short on stock.

Then there are the escalation concerns, which the German leadership seems to have bough wholesale.

It's strange that so far nobody has offered Bulgaria and Morocco a swap, their T-72s for new tanks. No logistics fuss, no unfamiliar tanks rolling into Ukraine and technically nobody who doesn't want to ship tanks to countries at war has to.

Granted, the T-72 is a worse tank, but it's better than no tank.

I have to wonder if the gent who was just removed from Germany's intelligence service has anything to do with Germany holding back its tanks. Once again I cannot fault the Russian espionage game.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

It's only a land war you have to worry about

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Also battles of wits with Sicilians...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also battles of wits with Sicilians...

That one is slightly less well known.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

That one is slightly less well known.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This is a mildly interesting article about that murderer who joined Wagner, deserted and got captured by UA, and then somehow got captured by Wagner and murdered. It's well researched but not a super interesting topic. But I thought this pic was funny:

quote:

A prisoner exchange between Ukraine and Russia on October 29, 2022. ©Ukrainian Security Service handout

Definitely not the age group you'd usually expect to see in a POW exchange.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

This is a mildly interesting article about that murderer who joined Wagner, deserted and got captured by UA, and then somehow got captured by Wagner and murdered. It's well researched but not a super interesting topic. But I thought this pic was funny:

Definitely not the age group you'd usually expect to see in a POW exchange.

Obligatory joke about how that's just what 19-24 year old Russian men look like.

For content: Putin sacked his campaign commander- the one who was regarded as a competent military commander with a reputation for speaking more truth to Putin than others- and replaced him with a general regarded as a sycophant.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-appoints-gerasimov-top-commander-ukraine-2023-01-11/

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Russia already has a M1 and its in Kubinka. Mark Hertling was shown it to rub it in his face when he visited Russia in 94 in their not for the public part of the museum.

Genuinely curious how they got one back then. Gulf War maybe?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Just take him out to dinner first.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Arrath posted:

We were happy to sell a bunch of them to the Saudis to get blown up in their own imperialist bullshit, why not part with some more for a better cause?

Egypt too.

Come to think of it, the Abrams is mostly used in hot and arid places. Maybe the reason is that it breaks, if it gets wet?
:shrug:

Arrath posted:

At the very least, Poland already has some, let them donate their Leos and T-series tanks, backfill with Abrams to unify their fleets?

They did that and will receive their first M1As in 2025.

There are some 400 T-72s in storage in NATO countries, principally Bulgaria, Hungary and the rest here and there. Assuming half of those can be restored into a working tank, that's 200 tanks.

It seems like the perfect opportunity to unify ammo and part supply chains while delivering hurt to the alliance's principal adversary.

The only non-ghoulish reason why not to I can come up with is the fear that the gremlin in the Kremlin will do a nuclear ragequit if his army is pwned too quickly.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There's also the matter that their former owners need something to replace them with I suppose? What with the current Leo 2 production/refurb line moving at a rather sedate pace and Poland probably having booked out the Koreans for the foreseeable future.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh No! Our Soliders Are Being Wasteful With Their JP-8 Ammo, We Better Only Give Them poo poo Tanks Bolt Action Rifles to Encourage Them to Aim Better!

Anime titles are getting weird

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just take him out to dinner first.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Ukraine has weighed in on the M1A1 question and boy, have they.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1613599573955444751

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bra-loving-vo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lum_ posted:

Ukraine has weighed in on the M1A1 question and boy, have they.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1613599573955444751

Hell, they have spoken.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Local politics grandstanding alert

https://twitter.com/nathandahm/status/1613265794053570561?s=46&t=3eQq88Nc3OYDAkKoZl3_DA

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol how are they so good at this hah

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just remove all federal funding or turn over the whole state to the natives.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Is this what the pre-Pearl Harbor isolationists sounded like in the 1940s?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Generation Internet posted:

If they had Twitter back then I bet it would.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oklahomans also reacted embarrassingly when the feds approved gay marriage and decided to house migrant children in federal facilities. It’s a weird political landscape.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Bra-loving-vo.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Stop joking, this is serious stuff. Just imagine what the world would be like if the Ukrainians accidentally destroyed Lawton, Oklahoma.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
2hrs 5mins in, equipment bound for europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAMxnwcrcOk

I can't remember how to embed to a time. Rest of the video is potentially nws/nms at moments.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bees everywhere posted:

Stop joking, this is serious stuff. Just imagine what the world would be like if the Ukrainians accidentally destroyed Lawton, Oklahoma.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol that’s reminiscent of concerned letters to the editor about Gitmo prisoners being relocated to prisons on US soil and people thinking there’d be weekly Arkham Asylum supervillain escapes.

Generation Internet posted:

David McCullough‘s Truman book had a fascinating snapshot of previously isolationist members of Congress reacting to Pearl Harbor, I think he compared their reactions to “looking as if they’d swallowed a hot stove.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bees everywhere posted:

I went to basic at Fort Sill.

Oh my God please dump a whole salvo of patriots and MLRS on that town. Just delete the whole grid.