Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It also, apparently, actually produced basically nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Phigs posted:

I wish I could know what exactly was going on inside Amazon's gaming division. I don't know how it could have produced so little of worth after all this time.

read the closed new world thread and you'll get an idea of how

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
sounds like a nice gig

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Amazon Games has actually made ten games

It's just that no one knows about nine of them because they aren't even big enough to have their own wiki page and one of them was a port of Dragon's Lair

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Stop being so harsh on such poor, underfunded indie studio, they are doing the best they can, ok?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Come on Everquest 3.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Amazon Games has actually made ten games

It's just that no one knows about nine of them because they aren't even big enough to have their own wiki page and one of them was a port of Dragon's Lair

I remember posting about how the third person moba was going to shut down before it left beta and it ended up surprising me by not shutting down but actually unreleasing

(then canceled like 3 months later)

Also the weird time travel arena shooter that I think had a single playtest and never appeared again?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i've come to believe all successful MMOs are accidents. hiring john videogames smedley will not change that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

"We put a bunch of developers in a room with a few crates of Redbull and told them to make Warcraft 4, and a year or two later out pops WoW and we're like, whoa, what is this?"

– Mark Kern

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Has there ever been an old veteran MMO developer that made a second good MMO? Seems like it's all about capturing lightning in a bottle at a time when doing cocaine at your desk was considered normal.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Raph Koster is the only one that comes to mind.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Modern MMOs by respectable studios suck because people who play MMOs are freaks and the developers need to be even bigger freaks to understand what appeals to them.

If you told someone normal that people voluntarily grind out the same mission every day to get reputation points in order to get a different colored tabard that no one really cares about would say that your game would be dead in a week. Not freaks, though, they know. They always know.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cardboard Fox posted:

Has there ever been an old veteran MMO developer that made a second good MMO? Seems like it's all about capturing lightning in a bottle at a time when doing cocaine at your desk was considered normal.

It's probably infinitely easier for someone who makes a good modern MMO to make a second good MMO than a veteran MMO dev to make a second good MMO because there was a huge, hard shift in the mid 2000s away from old MMO styles. Old MMOs are just absolutely not good and feasible anymore because it requires too much focus, attention, and effort to play and nobody is willing to sit down and kill lizards in a field for 5 hours to get half a level anymore.

For example, I would absolutely trust YoshiP to make a brand new, rock-solid MMO.

This is a good thing, though, because the people who want to play old MMOs have options to relive the glory days and be reminded why they're terrible, via private servers like Warhammer Online and evergreen offerings like FFXI retail and, I guess, WoW Classic

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Phigs posted:

I wish I could know what exactly was going on inside Amazon's gaming division. I don't know how it could have produced so little of worth after all this time.

periodically I am reminded the Amazon Luna exists because a multiplat game will be launched on it, I have never seen a soul admit to playing it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zil posted:

Come on Everquest 3.

but that means having to crawl back to daybreak, the developer who had ties to the russian mob

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Smedley going back to Daybreak to make Everquest 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

jokes posted:

It's probably infinitely easier for someone who makes a good modern MMO to make a second good MMO

Has there been a good modern MMO?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Watch the space below for the inevitable "FFXIV is a great MMO!" and "FFXIV is a terrible MMO!" conversation in answer to your question.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i don't think an individual game can escape the fact MMOs exist in an environment of stagnancy because the incentive models of keeping players invested combined with parsing hall monitor culture makes players into miserable powder kegs

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I thought Daybreak was no longer connected to the Russians, do I have to uninstall Planetside 2 :ohdear:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
fortnite

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

kedo posted:

Watch the space below for the inevitable "FFXIV is a great MMO!" and "FFXIV is a terrible MMO!" conversation in answer to your question.

Whether it is or is not good, it is definitely not modern though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Note to future private server owners: Remember to patch every known exploit BEFORE moving your testing environment to open beta.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is the point in having a private LOTRO server?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

Trion Worlds, the people who made Rift, was a bunch of mmo vets from different companies. Rift was good until they added a bad expansion, stopped making money off it, and subsequently cannibalized it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rift was super good. Like, very briefly. But I think they latched onto the "beat WoW" mindset and then were disappointed about it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rift could have stayed really good. Trion needed to just keep putting out expansions that increased the level cap, added new classes, and continued to improve quality of life. I also would have stayed with the game if it was just the base game and nothing else. Leveling was fun in Rift.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Old MMOs were good and in fact better.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No “modern” MMO is good or at least what the developers consider “modern” is bad. I’m fine with FFXIV being labeled not modern as long as it’s good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

No MMO is good or at least what the developers consider MMO is bad.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

I’m fine with FFXIV being labeled not modern

???

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster said it’s no modern and I looked at my list of true and reliable internet commenters and they’re on the list!!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Doom Rooster said it’s no modern and I looked at my list of true and reliable internet commenters and they’re on the list!!

ohhh i see

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
ffxiv was released 13 years ago
but it still is getting expansions to this day

then again so is everquest 1

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FF14 is absolutely a modern mmo.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There are two kinds of MMOs: Pre-WoW MMOs and post-WoW MMOs. Both have their strengths and weaknesses even if I can't actually stand half of them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pre-wow mmo: games made by shut ins for shut ins like Everquest

WoW: is WoW

Post-WoW, wave 1: It's WoW but set somewhere else

Wave 2: its WoW but with more combat animations

Wave 3: "toolbars suck! Here is a combat system that looks more active but actually isnt because we just assigned your five skills to keyboard commands and mouse clicks".

Wave 4: WoW but it's from an Asian developer, the west discovers the Cash Shop

Wave 5: Skip ten years of WoW expansions, Destiny comes out and ruins the chances of any at-scale MMOs forever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's horrifically accurate

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jokes posted:

That's horrifically accurate
If you replace Warframe with Destiny then maybe...

Warframe/Destiny/PoE/GaaS lobby games in general are the natural evolution of what most MMOs have become. They drop the "some hours of time burner content" and get you into the actual gameplay part. They also take the lesson most MMOs learn the hard way, that "massive" is anathema to good gameplay, and use it as a core design goal.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

What is the point in having a private LOTRO server?

There's some notable content differences between the current live/progression servers and what used to be there on release day. This private server is trying to bring those elements back.