Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Deleter posted:

its however tall he needs to be to do those sick wrestling moves on terezi
However, Terezi is now short and plump, so therefore is Gamzee. Q.E.D. [this is games canon, which is obvs not canon unless it is]

I think Meat is genius. I think Candy is depressing, and in some cases very OOC. For one, John had the only good guardian/child relationship in the whole drat strip, and it has always seemed implausible to me that he'd abandon his son when his marriage ended. I am also skeptical that Karkat, of all people, would passively stay in a Dave/Jade/Karkat triad that was bad for all of them. "Everybody has horrific PTSD" I would believe; "everybody is just miserable because that's what your 20s are like", as posted on Twitter by one of the authors, is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

“The people who disagree with my opinion are illiterate morons” is a boring, thought-terminating take.

The fact is most people who read Homestuck, regardless of what they thought of or, are not well-versed in media critique and elucidating why they did or did not like the media they consume. Because most people of that demographic aren’t. I don’t even want to make that a value judgment as while it’d be nice for people to better understand what a piece of media is trying to do, people likely got more on their plate than dedicating brain space to that.

In closing, Homestuck objectively sucked because nothing in the work confirmed Vriska’s fatness.

Slashed Out
Jul 27, 2022
The hiatus hell of 2013-2016 really took a toll on the comic, but I'd still say I enjoyed all of it (including the Epilogues - not HS^2, though)

I am sad no more MSPA's happened - the only thing we got outside of Homestuck was Psycholonials, and that felt more like a display of "I can do stuff timely and wrap it up concisely, even after the hiatuses and the pausing of Homestuck^2 and the entire Hiveswap fiasco" in my opinion. A part of me wants to see more of Hussie drawing silly comics that may or may not balloon into something epic, or otherwise experimenting in the web space further or the Midnight Crew adventure. I wouldn't mind experiencing more Hussie humour and storytelling and so on, and whatever Hussie ends up making in the future I'll go and check out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Deleter posted:

Like I'm not sitting here in a pile of Marx or postmodern bookthinking stuff or whatever but when the comic has a character who is explicitly the author's idea of a "bad reader" doing stuff on screen it is somewhat bewildering to me that everyone was instead concerned with how tall Gamzee is

Yeah, but the "bad reader" was defined as bad specifically because of his disinterest in things like Gamzee's height (and also, okay, he committed a bunch of crimes).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I guess for me, the Scratch was the high point, and things just kind of declined from there, slowly at first, but with increasing speed as time went on. The Alpha kids were... alright, but Caliborn and Calliope absolutely never clicked for me--they were an element that was added on past the point where I could appreciate anything new being added, because there was already just Too Much. (The dream bubbles, the Condesce, the Dancestors, Specifically Aranea, everything to do with Gamzee, Dirk's Bullshit, etc. etc. etc.)

I think the RetJohn was my real breaking point, though. It replaced a bunch of stuff we'd seen with stuff that we hadn't, in a way that I just kind of wasn't able to follow anymore. Sure, Vriska's back, but... meh. Maybe I'm just salty because I liked Dave and Karkat as best friends way more than I liked DaveKat as a ship, but it just felt like too much Stuff, not enough Character, and some characters had just plain fallen apart.

I didn't touch the Epilogues or Homestuck^2, I just didn't feel like there was any hope for it to go back to being what I had enjoyed.

I don't know where that puts me on the Media Literacy scale, but it's how I feel.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

I guess for me, the Scratch was the high point, and things just kind of declined from there, slowly at first, but with increasing speed as time went on. The Alpha kids were... alright, but Caliborn and Calliope absolutely never clicked for me--they were an element that was added on past the point where I could appreciate anything new being added, because there was already just Too Much. (The dream bubbles, the Condesce, the Dancestors, Specifically Aranea, everything to do with Gamzee, Dirk's Bullshit, etc. etc. etc.)

I think the RetJohn was my real breaking point, though. It replaced a bunch of stuff we'd seen with stuff that we hadn't, in a way that I just kind of wasn't able to follow anymore. Sure, Vriska's back, but... meh. Maybe I'm just salty because I liked Dave and Karkat as best friends way more than I liked DaveKat as a ship, but it just felt like too much Stuff, not enough Character, and some characters had just plain fallen apart.

I didn't touch the Epilogues or Homestuck^2, I just didn't feel like there was any hope for it to go back to being what I had enjoyed.

I don't know where that puts me on the Media Literacy scale, but it's how I feel.

I mean none of that is a media literacy thing, sometimes poo poo doesn't vibe with you.

What I will say, is that the reading experience it probably a lot better nowadays that you can just read from start to finish on your own time, but I do wish baby me had gotten into it when there was an active, non-bitter fandom

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

egg tats posted:

I mean none of that is a media literacy thing, sometimes poo poo doesn't vibe with you.

What I will say, is that the reading experience it probably a lot better nowadays that you can just read from start to finish on your own time, but I do wish baby me had gotten into it when there was an active, non-bitter fandom
This. I got in right before the end of the mega-hiatus, or whatever it was called. I wish I'd been there for Cascade, when everybody was bubbling over with joy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The pre-Cascade hiatus was wild since the fanbase was at a peak and didn’t have to go this long without an update before. And when the update finally came out he had to upload to Newgrounds as the traffic threatened to crash his server. Then the traffic crashed Newgrounds.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think we also killed Megaupload

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I caught up with the backlog like, 2 days before cascade dropped, it was an interesting experience watching the internet burn in realtime :allears:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I remember Hussie balking at how people were passing around blurry recorded videos of it on stream-sharing websites like it was found footage or something.

Pants Donkey posted:

Webcomic burnout is real, especially for younger creatives who realize they want to do more with their career than a comic they loosely plotted out ten years ago as a kid and didn’t expect to spend their entire 20s working on it. Not everyone can be Tom Siddell and consistently chug away on one story for 20+ years.
This is funny considering Gunnerkrigg Court is also kind of spiraling and feels a lot like the author is sick of it. Certainly not as spectacularly and interestingly as Homestuck, but yeah.

I really appreciate the intelligent discussion on the last few pages. I wish I'd seen these kinds of nuanced critiques back when I was a lot more invested in the comic.

It's hard for me to think about the epilogues without remembering Candy's abundance of weird sex poo poo. Like, yes to some degree I'm sure it was parodying how horny a lot of fanfiction gets, but it was so bizarrely, unnecessarily fetishistic. I have a blurry memory of Gamzee drinking Jane's breast milk, or something? Did that happen, am I crazy? Also it was a really weird choice turning Jane, a well-beloved and adored character who was basically the equivalent of John in much of Act 6 as far as relative narrative focus, into Hitler. I would normally feel bad about making such a crass comparison but then all that poo poo was based on rehashing a weirdass text Hussie wrote about the Condesce raping a (real, live!) comedian until he killed himself, who they explicitly refer to as undersea lady hitler or whatever.

It was really funny when Hussie ultimately apologized for that but only for the part about Albert Einstein causing the holocaust. Like... you saw nothing wrong with the rest of it?

In general I found it really weird how once it got to "these characters who I spent years portraying as minors are legal age now" it exploded into weird horny poo poo. I understand that the epilogues weren't written by Hussie, but certainly had their oversight. And then Yiffany was apparently Hussie-mandated?

I'm not accusing them of being a sex pest or something, just that it felt kind of weird (and gross) seeing these characters who I'd grown up reading their wacky teenage adventures exploding into alluding to their secret dog dicks or whatever.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 12, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The whole Evil Overlord Jane thing felt like it was making up for the way that over act 6 Jane was set up as being loaded up with all this subliminal messaging, which resolved with her being mind-controlled to the bad side once they'd all arrived in the session, but then after that... it didn't really go anywhere. She showed her evil side by having a gross conversation at Jake and then was just cannon fodder for the Condesce until the whole retcon happened. Having her go be the same evil empress in the new world seemed to me to be trying to actually pay off that character element. Especially since Jane doesn't have much interesting going for her otherwise.

All the sexual stuff was kind of off-putting to me too, yeah. I don't think Hussie can be absolved of that either. For act 6 they'd rightfully determined that, while it's perfectly realistic for 16 year olds to be wanting to/actually having sex, we as an audience don't need or want to see it. The characters clearly had those feelings and experiences but the narrative was suitably coy about it. The epilogues and HS2 didn't seem to figure out that really this applies when they're 21 too, even if it wouldn't run afoul of any obscenity laws now. Adding sexual content to something that didn't have it before just isn't a winning strategy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Epilogues were taking things fans wanted from Homestuck and warping them to extremes.

Candy are fluffy character-driven moments, usually conversations during downtime. It’s the stuff that leads to shipping and characters forming romantic relationships so you can see how a narrative comprised of nothing but this could get horny and weird fast.

(And yes, you can argue that relationships are actually plot-relevant. I guess you can say this is how the author applies the Candy/Meat divide to Homestuck)

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Hussie went full Hideo Kojima. Kept trying to one-up himself so much he became incomprehensible. The only person in the world who thought having the main villain die off-screen in the finale would be cool.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

dipwood posted:

Hussie went full Hideo Kojima. Kept trying to one-up himself so much he became incomprehensible. The only person in the world who thought having the main villain die off-screen in the finale would be cool.

id argue theres something kinda funny about how after Caliborn ascends to his ultimate form by way of constantly doing poo poo the game tells him is stupid and onerous out of sheer spite, everyone basically stops giving a gently caress about him. yeah okay great you have become the Heat Death of the Universe, how nice for you.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

paranoid randroid posted:

id argue theres something kinda funny about how after Caliborn ascends to his ultimate form by way of constantly doing poo poo the game tells him is stupid and onerous out of sheer spite, everyone basically stops giving a gently caress about him. yeah okay great you have become the Heat Death of the Universe, how nice for you.

I suppose "Undermining your own story by having your characters and narration being unimpressed at what you write" is something that works gangbusters with teenagers but backfires on older readers.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Delphisage posted:

I suppose "Undermining your own story by having your characters and narration being unimpressed at what you write" is something that works gangbusters with teenagers but backfires on older readers.

idk i have thoughts about the whole caliborn/lord english thing to the effect of, i think its fitting that the guy who refuses to learn or change in any way whatsoever to the point that he will draw right angles until they make a circle gets his wish - becoming a pain in the rear end that nobody really wants to deal with but somebody has to

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Caliborn's Masterpiece details what happens in the final fight with Lord English, right? It didn't need to be in Act 7 as well, because we already saw it in glorious claymation.

e: actually, on refreshing myself, it just sets up what the chest is and shows us the simultaneously post- and pre-final fight that wound up with the kids getting trapped in the chest so that they could be released to defeat Lord English later. So yeah, I guess there is elision there.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 12, 2023

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

paranoid randroid posted:

I was going to say something like "you have to admit mailing your own head to a guy with a note saying 'no time to explain, kiss me' is at least audacious" before realizing, no wait thats the other decapitated head make-out

Homestuck: It's a Definitely a Story Where Stuff Happens

Homestuck is that fun thing where you think about something that’s bad in it and it reminds you of two other, extremely similar, worse things. It’s basically a fractal pattern of bullshit

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I find it safer to think of it in the opposite way.

Homestuck is that bad thing where you think about something that's good in it and it reminds you of two other, extremely similar, better things. It's a fractal pattern of laughing.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I don't want to be crushed by memories of things anymore than I already am. I just want to laugh.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its good to remember things that are either interesting or funny and, for better or worse, homestuck is full of them

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Homestuck's good and like, 98% of it is really good. The flaws are interesting to discuss but they're definitely not the defining factor of the work.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

The Epilogues were taking things fans wanted from Homestuck and warping them to extremes.

Candy are fluffy character-driven moments, usually conversations during downtime. It’s the stuff that leads to shipping and characters forming romantic relationships so you can see how a narrative comprised of nothing but this could get horny and weird fast.

(And yes, you can argue that relationships are actually plot-relevant. I guess you can say this is how the author applies the Candy/Meat divide to Homestuck)

One of the good things I'll say about the epilogues is that on the surface Candy was supposed to be about those character driven moments and Meat was meant to be about the plot developments that really drive the story, but around midway through each story it shifted into the opposite direction and culminated in the last chapter for each fully embracing the Meat/Candy dichotomy.

The idea behind it was great, but man did I find the execution questionable in some parts.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
for old times sake, whaddya say we play the hits

vriska did nothing wrong

life_source
May 11, 2008

rose is evil

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I can't believe Hussie sank JohnRose

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
vriska fat

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cavatica posted:

One of the good things I'll say about the epilogues is that on the surface Candy was supposed to be about those character driven moments and Meat was meant to be about the plot developments that really drive the story, but around midway through each story it shifted into the opposite direction and culminated in the last chapter for each fully embracing the Meat/Candy dichotomy.

The idea behind it was great, but man did I find the execution questionable in some parts.
i never read Candy, but that makes sense.

I wasn’t sure if the narrator was the cause of the two narratives being the way they are, or because the writer just…wrote them that way. Or some unknown third option.

But the two swapping makes sense because Candy has alt Calliope as its narrator, and she has always been the big fandom person who loves the characters and fanart and shipping. I mean the cherubs had a diet of meat and candy so not exactly subtle. If she left Candy to usurp the narrative from Dirk, then Candy would have more relevant things happen as going towards some kind of plot equilibrium, and Meat would be increasingly stagnant with more meaningful character interaction as Calliope asserts her narrative over things.

However, if Jade started in Candy as a dictator, then that hurts the theory.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
shoulda had more spades slick

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Terezi drawing a crime-scene line and then dropping dead in it was metal.

I have the incredibly vague memory of seeing something similar to this in a live-action comedy, only the victim just misses the outline and has to sidle over to fit in it properly before dying, wish I could remember what it was

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Gnome de plume posted:

I have the incredibly vague memory of seeing something similar to this in a live-action comedy, only the victim just misses the outline and has to sidle over to fit in it properly before dying, wish I could remember what it was

I think you are thinking of Loaded Weapon.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

series finale

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I almost forgot that was coming out.

I feel sorry for them, just as I feel sorry for everyone who read the epilogues and/or Homestuck 2.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
In a way I'm happy they didn't dwell on ^2 too much. What a bizarre few months that little experiment was.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
The Official Homestuck Crossover You've All Been Waiting For!

https://twitter.com/homestucknet/status/1631697559109480451

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The gently caress is requiem, oh it’s a loving tea shop in Anaheim (which is the only loving place that would tolerate bullshit like this, us Angelinos don’t tolerate bullshit like that). It’s about thirty minutes away. I could feasibly go there to point and laugh at losers supporting a bad webcomic made by a worse person in the year of our lord twenty and twenty-three.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Requiem dares to ask the tough question of: What if we took the concept of an arcade bar and removed literally all the booze and made everything like ten times more embarrassing and weird to look at?

Like there’s no loving shortage of goddamn arcade bars in LA, or even just craft breweries that often are owned or run by nerds who would be happy to set up a tv for a video game tournament or some poo poo. But no. Go to Anaheim so you can embarrass yourself walking the streets dressed like a teen girl who is also a dog.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Cosplay is significantly less weird and embarrassing than what you're doing right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

Cosplay is significantly less weird and embarrassing than what you're doing right now

no no, it's normal for a person to get so mad at people doing things they'd be too embarrassed to do that they trash the concept of a cafe in a seemingly unrelated rant