Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

wasnt russia handing out tons of russian passports for their annexed territories? seems like a bad idea by ukraine if hypothetically the intent is to reincorporate the people
https://twitter.com/AniaKoniec/status/1563626565019508737

"When they go low, we go high"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just saw one of those articles saying "Zelensky mocks mercenary group over claims city is littered with the corpses of ukranian fighters"

Motherfucker what are you mocking? Just yesterday someone posted a link where one of the videos made it sound like when the chechens were clearing mariupol. Are these people not ukranian? Or it doesnt count if they are stacked inside buildings?

Kind of? It's hard to tell if he cares about anything besides his own personal position of power.

The more practically minded nationalists have been horrified at how many of their people were sacrificed over the past months. But those people are kind of in the background being ignored by most twitter posters.

Anyway, looking back on some old posts.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. Entirely possible that Russia is doing to Ukraine in Kherson what Ukraine has been doing to Russia in Bakhmut and the central axis.

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah bakhmut is really wooping the Russians belong time, really embarrassing.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

Also, historically the difference between militias and soldiers is that militias won't dig trenches. It was a problem in the Spanish Civil War for the Republicans, but of course throughout history, going back to the Romans preparing a fortified camp every night while warbands laughed at them. The reasons to do the backbreaking labour and time consuming planning aren't immediately apparent, and require discipline and organization to get it done. If Ukraine has mostly green conscripts up north, digging in frozen ground is a lot to expect from them, and half assing it would be the natural result if there's little oversight.

That reminds of a sociological study of a Finnish infantry company during WW2 (https://www.doria.fi/handle/10024/74160 is it I think) and digging trenches (or manual labour in general) was one of the main point of contention that the privates absolutely loathed to do, haggling with NCOs over whether they should participate, the NCOs thinking they have priviliges and the privates calling bullshit. The worst day in terms of casualties for the company was a direct result of not preparing defences well enough.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1613577923004342273?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
russia and belarus should get a room already

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

the Romans preparing a fortified camp

what's a good article or some free thing I can look at/watch that details the practicality of this, like how many people were doing what tasks and for how long, and did those people get spared from the watch that night or get bigger dinners etc., could centurions who had a bit more money buy off a poorer guy to do their camp work for them, what did camp followers do while the army was constructing their camp. lots of this nuts and bolts stuff always gets glossed over in survey histories

did they do it every single day or did they take a day off between marches or what cause from the image reconstructions I've seen of the camps that seems like a loving ton of work to do every single night and still be expected to fight at the drop of a hat

indigi has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Jan 12, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

even if fir is the correct choice,

That looks like a pinus species. Out of idle curiosity is that also on the correct choice list? It's about splintering, right?

Atrocious Joe posted:

The dilemma Europe will face is that hatred of refugees isn't dependent on racism or other forms of xenophobia. Turkish politicians initially accepted refugees from Syria as fellow Muslims, but after years of economic pressures those same politicians look the other way as refugees are attacked in the streets. The British got real racist against Poles just a few years ago.

Ukrainian refugees may have been welcomed into the EU over the past year, but they could easily be turned into scapegoats if there is a need by governments involved.

In what way is this not dependent on racism or xenophobia?

Lostconfused posted:

What's the difference?

The difference between Zelensky and an ultra-nat is the later will likely start the ethnic cleansing in earnest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Weka posted:

That looks like a pinus

lmbo

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

:thunk:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Weka posted:

In what way is this not dependent on racism or xenophobia?

people invent new forms of racism and xenophobia, resurrect old ones, or reemphasize existing bigotries all the time to fit current political and social agendas. this is in contrast to most bigotries being innate or ancestral beliefs is more my point.

this gets complicated because people do genuinely believe racist poo poo. NATO leaders probably actually believe Ukrainians are people who are from the "garden" and will fit into Europe, rather then other refugees who are from the "jungle" and should be kept out.

however, if it becomes useful to scapegoat Ukrainian refugees in Western Europe, it could happen even if they are considered white and easily assimilated right now

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grimnarsson posted:

That reminds of a sociological study of a Finnish infantry company during WW2 (https://www.doria.fi/handle/10024/74160 is it I think) and digging trenches (or manual labour in general) was one of the main point of contention that the privates absolutely loathed to do, haggling with NCOs over whether they should participate, the NCOs thinking they have priviliges and the privates calling bullshit. The worst day in terms of casualties for the company was a direct result of not preparing defences well enough.

finnish military discipline during the wars was imo a joke outside the immediate personal presence of a deeply motivated officer, and still is kind of a polite pretension. NCOs in finnish army are absolutely considered as part of the guys supposed to do manual labour tho, and they're sort of seen as the designated guy who get to be yelled at when everyone fucks up, and i am also talking out of my rear end based on second hand personal experiences

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's a N for the word Azov like to call black and brown people.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Fell Mood posted:

Umm, I'm supposed to use my big guns to kill the evil enemy in glorious heroic combat. WTF is this digging trenches and firing positions poo poo. I didn't sign up to dig holes.

i would simply use the big guns to make the trenches for me, or at least 90% of it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

actually the main azov guy said it stands for national identity

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
as i am drunk, i would go and argue that one of the major problems fascism, as an ideological movement over history had in finland, besides organized and heavily armed workers, was that finnish culture on average was just rather anti-authoritarian. finns really do not like being told what to do, and it is seen as humiliating to submit without protest

exceptions where fascism did thrive in finland was Pohjanmaa, or ostrobothnia, which has for a long time had a characteristic of landlordism on a scale very peculiar to the place, especially a hundred years ago. absentee landlords with struggling tenant farmers means large numbers of unlanded sons with no prospects, hence the finnish fascism incubator and the Lapua Movement. the other exception is insane nationalist teens who go off to germany to become psycho jäegers for a few centuries

e:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4ger_Movement

lollontee has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Jan 12, 2023

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

It's not a swastika, it's four Ls together, meaning Liking to Live, Laugh, Love

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

Yah they would totally use a different alphabet for their internal branding. Lmao

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jel Shaker posted:

Let me just check out what else he has said, sounds like a smart gohhh :stare:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

It's not a swastika, it's four Ls together, meaning Liking to Live, Laugh, Love

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Saying we need to keep Zelensky or else someone worse will take over is like saying we needed to support Trump so Mike Pence didn't become president... it's never morally defensible to support "the evil you know" :o:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
On an unrelated note, mad respect to whoever came up with multi-tab browsing. Reading some extremely funny posts rn

Ross flipping out over the sandwich but instead he's mad about posts

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
Dont need trenches when you got piles of orks bodies to climb and shoot from dum dums.

Prozelenstip: all bodies are orks.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

russia and belarus should get a room already

they did just that some 25 years ago

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

lollontee posted:

finnish military discipline during the wars was imo a joke outside the immediate personal presence of a deeply motivated officer, and still is kind of a polite pretension. NCOs in finnish army are absolutely considered as part of the guys supposed to do manual labour tho, and they're sort of seen as the designated guy who get to be yelled at when everyone fucks up, and i am also talking out of my rear end based on second hand personal experiences

I think the study I linked outlines that there's a different culture between the barracks with young men doing their conscription (kersanttikauhu=NCO-terror being a concept) and an army in the field filled with reservists with families and jobs that are actually productive unlike that of a career officer. Put that into the situation in the Continuation War, with 3 years in the trenches and it's a recipe for all sorts of figuring out a hierarchy in the ranks over who's "old" and who's "new" and who should be doing more manual labour and who have earned the privilidge of doing less of it.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

lollontee posted:

as i am drunk

I will now take your post about finnish culture and history extra seriously

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It very well may be that the formations the Ukrainians are sending up north are green, and just there aren't really the available experienced NCOs/officers a this point. It is also they seem to be pretty thin on the ground with only a few brigades up there. The Donbass is likely tying too many resources for the AFU to have extra experienced formations to spare.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/yeongno3/status/1613530126964359168

Given the outcome of battle so far it would have to be an angel, wouldn't it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
if the land is fully uncontested and there's no Russians for tens of miles why can't they just pay out-of-work or refugee civilian contractors who might know what they're doing to help

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Rashists are menacing the world with their conduct

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-china-covid-restrictions/32221005.html

quote:

Russia Sees No Danger From China's Relaxation Of COVID Measures

Russia sees no dangers from Beijing's relaxation of measures to fight COVID-19 and will not impose extra restrictions on people arriving from China, TASS cited a senior official as saying on January 12. China last month abandoned its strict anti-virus regime, prompting a rise in the number of reported infections. More than a dozen countries have since demanded negative test results from travelers arriving from China. But Russia is “not introducing any additional measures against people arriving from China,” said Anna Popova, head of the consumer safety watchdog Rospotrebnadzor. TASS said Popova made the comment on state television.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Futanari Damacy posted:

https://twitter.com/yeongno3/status/1613530126964359168

Given the outcome of battle so far it would have to be an angel, wouldn't it?

she should of dressed as the full metal bitch

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grimnarsson posted:

I think the study I linked outlines that there's a different culture between the barracks with young men doing their conscription (kersanttikauhu=NCO-terror being a concept) and an army in the field filled with reservists with families and jobs that are actually productive unlike that of a career officer. Put that into the situation in the Continuation War, with 3 years in the trenches and it's a recipe for all sorts of figuring out a hierarchy in the ranks over who's "old" and who's "new" and who should be doing more manual labour and who have earned the privilidge of doing less of it.

so how would you compare the relative discipline situation between the Continuation War, and the Winter War?

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

indigi posted:

if the land is fully uncontested and there's no Russians for tens of miles why can't they just pay out-of-work or refugee civilian contractors who might know what they're doing to help

That's what the Russians have been doing.
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1612852512838807557
From the pictures and videos the design of the trenches looks about the same, they just have cleaner lumber.
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1612852584578158592

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Civilian contractors? Oh, you mean military aged males???

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

GlassElephant posted:

That's what the Russians have been doing.
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1612852512838807557
From the pictures and videos the design of the trenches looks about the same, they just have cleaner lumber.
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1612852584578158592

this is the only thread you post in and you only do it to own the tankies

thats psychotic

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Civilian contractors? Oh, you mean military aged males???

You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... (taps his heart) not his wallet

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Atrocious Joe posted:

however, if it becomes useful to scapegoat Ukrainian refugees in Western Europe, it could happen even if they are considered white and easily assimilated right now

Oh for sure, if the economy really hits the shitter they will likely be on the outs.

Futanari Damacy posted:

Saying we need to keep Zelensky or else someone worse will take over is like saying we needed to support Trump so Mike Pence didn't become president... it's never morally defensible to support "the evil you know" :o:

Wrong. If the choices are between a greater and a lesser evil, you should pick the later rather than the third option of failing to exert influence. Your position would seem to support the USA removing Saddam when they did for instance.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

what's a good article or some free thing I can look at/watch that details the practicality of this, like how many people were doing what tasks and for how long, and did those people get spared from the watch that night or get bigger dinners etc., could centurions who had a bit more money buy off a poorer guy to do their camp work for them, what did camp followers do while the army was constructing their camp. lots of this nuts and bolts stuff always gets glossed over in survey histories

did they do it every single day or did they take a day off between marches or what cause from the image reconstructions I've seen of the camps that seems like a loving ton of work to do every single night and still be expected to fight at the drop of a hat

There are some really good books on it actually. Off the top of my head Brill has several, though the name escapes me, and Osprey does to. In the Fortress series Roman camps get their own entry, but the labour soldiers do is also part of the Warrior series.

There’s also a reenactment/experimental archeology group in Europe that reenacts what soldiers lives were actually like in the Ancient Greek, Roman, Late Roman world (not in combat, doing various work). I forget the name also but they’re cool in terms of not emphasizing the arms and armour but tools and everyday clothing.

I have some photos on my phone though, so I must have discussed it somewhere recently

After work I can riff on it here if the thread’s slow and there’s no news.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

indigi posted:

this post from a military historian gets into the logistics of moving an army around, which doesn't exactly answer your question, but it does note that the front of an army probably has to stop marching at around 3 pm to allow for the rest of the army to catch up to and reach the camp site before sunset, so it stands to reason that it probably takes a good long time to set up a fortified camp and that anyone who isn't foraging probably has to do it. and yes afaik the romans did it every night on the march.

blog warning: the author is very knowledgeable but also very, very liberal in his politics so anything touching on current events is annoying to read lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this is the only thread you post in and you only do it to own the tankies

thats psychotic

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lobster shirt posted:

blog warning: the author is very knowledgeable but also very, very liberal in his politics so anything touching on current events is annoying to read lol

I knew it was going to be ACOUP before clicking lol

He is very knowledgable though, and has articles on fieldworks and trenches also.

e: The Rocky Road to the Great War covers entrenchments in the modern period, that's a good place to start for those wondering about the construction and design of trenches.

As for the wood, I was going to put it to you guys, if you know about construction or lumber. I can only see the recommendations,

"Sawn lumber used for shoring and timbering should ideally be a minimum of No. 2 or better from the following groups:"

Douglas fir-larch
Hemlock-fir
Spruce-pine-fir
Coast Sitka spruce

I don't actually know anything about soil and the like.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Jan 12, 2023