Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought first degree was planned out intentional murder?

Not even George Floyd’s death got that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The mall near my house is thriving and I'm happy for it. I never go because I have Amazon Prime but I'm glad.

Yeah the local Denver mall is always hopping, but it’s also full of higher-end retail and is situated in an incredibly rich area with a lot more walkable (also stupidly expensive) retail and restaurants. I think the years where a mall could be filled with EB Games, Suncoast, and Claire’s is well behind us.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

drat shame about Sears, I was going to call them this summer about a home air conditioning system.

I bet your wife is pissed.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I went to two area malls for early Christmas shopping. One seemed to be doing really well, and the other had a ton of empty spaces along with the usual JC Penny and Dicks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't think I've been at the mall here in Dubuque since I worked at Sears Portrait Studio for a spell back in college, so almost 20 years ago. All I know about it anymore is that the company that owns the property, Cafaro, is heavily rumored to be a front for money laundering for organized crime.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Del Amo Mall in Torrance (South Los Angeles) used to be the biggest in the country but was pretty much dead into the aughts until some company pumped like a hundred mil into it now it’s bougie as gently caress and always packed

e: 200 million

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 12, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've been shopping away from Amazon lately. For example, today if I wanted to buy something via Prime, the delivery date is January 23rd. 11 days. But yeah, go ahead and cut your workforce because Alexa is killing you and all you care about is the bottom line.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL has somehow managed to keep chugging along. They've lost some stores, but as far as I know they generally keep filling them with someone else. It was the biggest mall in the US back when it was built, but that's like 50 years ago. I haven't been in it for like 5 years or more though.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

wandler20 posted:

I've been shopping away from Amazon lately. For example, today if I wanted to buy something via Prime, the delivery date is January 23rd. 11 days. But yeah, go ahead and cut your workforce because Alexa is killing you and all you care about is the bottom line.

As if we didn't have enough motivation with labor issues, last weekend we had TWO (2) Amazon drivers get stuck in our driveway. I am assuming their delivery times are monitored closely enough that they're loath to get out of the car and walk up driveways, and also assuming they aren't spending the money to get decent tires on their vehicles.

Also unclear why the first one was there to begin with, because they didn't deliver anything :shrug:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

around here, ted lerner (washington nationals owner) hit the jackpot in the 60's when he decided to build a mall at the intersection of the capital beltway and two major state roads

now the area around it is one of the 15 biggest business districts in america, and has the headquarters of such companies as hilton and capital one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tysons,_Virginia

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I went to a very rich middle school for 6th and 7th grade because one of my uncles taught there and spent a ton of unsupervised time at Bellevue Square, the Seatttle area's most boring mall. I was a poorer fat kid and got followed around Ambrocrombe and Fitch by a sales teen when one friend wanted to shop there and that god forsaken perfume/cologne just hung around in a cloud for days. I also spent a buch of time after school at the Tower Records or Barnes and Noble nearby. I bought my first VHS tapes at Tower Records: a bunch of DiC Sailor Moon dub tape and later the first 2 Gundam 0083 tapes because it had a big robots and my grandma was annoyed that I only got girl cartoons my brother wouldn't watch. Good times.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Goddamnit. Just out of the blue now I have the line “The making GBS threads log system is based on mutual trust” stuck over and over in my head

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

bobjr posted:

I thought first degree was planned out intentional murder?

Not even George Floyd’s death got that.

Not in Illinois. In particular, this line:

quote:

(2) he or she knows that such acts create a strong probability of death or great bodily harm to that individual or another

As LeeMajors said,

LeeMajors posted:

that's literally week 1 EMT school lessons to NEVER SECURE YOUR PATIENTS PRONE EVER EVER EVER EVER

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I went to a very rich middle school for 6th and 7th grade because one of my uncles taught there and spent a ton of unsupervised time at Bellevue Square, the Seatttle area's most boring mall. I was a poorer fat kid and got followed around Ambrocrombe and Fitch by a sales teen when one friend wanted to shop there and that god forsaken perfume/cologne just hung around in a cloud for days. I also spent a buch of time after school at the Tower Records or Barnes and Noble nearby. I bought my first VHS tapes at Tower Records: a bunch of DiC Sailor Moon dub tape and later the first 2 Gundam 0083 tapes because it had a big robots and my grandma was annoyed that I only got girl cartoons my brother wouldn't watch. Good times.

A lot of time in my high school years was spent at Tower Records. Me and my friends usually had some weekend routines of go hang out at the Baker's Square and get free drinks and pie because the servers liked us, then go to either Tower Records, or the local indie record store. It was either that or play N64 at someone's house. Occasionally we'd actually have a show to go to, so we'd head to the city. Ah the fun times of suburban teenage living.

Tower Records was preferred because they had all those listening booths, so you could possibly find some new music. They also sold tickets there, anything run through ticketmaster, which was nearly everything at the time. So it was a convenient place to get tickets if we needed them too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the EMTs are charged with the maximum charge because 95% of charges get pled down, and so DAs are always gonna over-charge if they possibly can as the opening bid in what is basically a private negotiation over how much punishment a defendant will accept to avoid the risk of maybe much harsher punishment if they insist on a trial

because of that factor you can rarely take publicized charges at face value

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Welp hope nobody had money on getting those 100 years of Rick & Morty

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah just saw the accusations that came out. Sounds pretty bad.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BURRRPPP LOOK AT ME MORTY I’M MILKSHAKE DUCK RICK, I’M A MILKSHAKE THAT’S ALSO A DUCK

AND I BEAT MY GIRLFRIEND MORTY, SHE’S JUST OFFSCREEN, IS SHE A MILKSHAKE OR IS SHE A DUCK

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What happened? All I know about that show is from the ads I see on Adult Swim as I watch my nightly King of the Hill reruns before bed. Looks like an incredibly unfunny show for media-addled nerds.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Got arrested for felony DV in 2020. Court case has yet to go to trial.

I enjoy the show quite a bit but woof

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

What happened? All I know about that show is from the ads I see on Adult Swim as I watch my nightly King of the Hill reruns before bed. Looks like an incredibly unfunny show for media-addled nerds.

Lmao I have the exact same "all I know about that show" and your description is spot-on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

GD_American posted:

BURRRPPP LOOK AT ME MORTY I’M MILKSHAKE DUCK RICK, I’M A MILKSHAKE THAT’S ALSO A DUCK

AND I BEAT MY GIRLFRIEND MORTY, SHE’S JUST OFFSCREEN, IS SHE A MILKSHAKE OR IS SHE A DUCK

I enjoy his output well enough, but Justin Roiland turning out to be a nutcase/rageaholic/sex pervert (any or all) would not be especially surprising or really paint his work in a new light.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's a very funny show that has the worst fans imaginable despite mashing you over the head with the message that acting like you're smarter then everyone else will just leave you self sabotaging and miserable.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/midnight_sumo/status/1612977793683578880?s=46&t=ZtvtWp1vY2yykLx-cyoOVA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I guess you could be forgiven for not remembering the McDonald's Szechuan sauce craze from a few years back, there's been a lot of news to absorb over the last several years.

Also my understanding is that it's one of those shows where a distressingly high % of the population identifies with the character who is supposed to be anything but an aspirational example, a la Walter White in Breaking Bad. I tried watching it a few years ago but wasn't feeling anything after the first two episodes :shrug:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
drat he also writes a funny show called Solar Opposites

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp. My wife and I love to watch it. I guess that's done now. Sucks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The one near me (where my dad worked for several years selling appliances) has been turned into apartments and condos, with most of the first floor becoming a DeVry University, and some indoor parking.

Huh, speaking about things I'm somewhat surprised to find are still around.

The DeVry that was sort of by me is now a federal FEMA office apparently looking it up. I didn't pay any attention but apparently that's why there's gates to get in and security now that I noticed driving past.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this isn’t good

https://twitter.com/tmz/status/1613672708742565889?s=46&t=ZazL88w9VZmglMs1CNjW6Q

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In b4 vax blame doom posting.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I was having my dogs sit so I could give them treats and the girl ripped a massive fart when I called her a good girl and smiled at me

Good girl

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Finally got my actual Official Offer from the feds, just in time as our new AG is a loving lunatic with worse managerial practices than the Sears guy, whose priorities are: make abortion illegal again and make all the employees miserable.

Free. free free free.

oh man writing that 2 week notice is going to be so gratifying.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
To be fair Sears WAS Amazon. In like 1905.

https://www.newsweek.com/unearthed-sears-catalog-1905-arsenous-tablets-bust-cream-1601127

And then the Wells Fargo wagon would deliver your Acme Bust Cream :corsair: Prime took a week back then!!

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sears used to ship you a house by rail. Some assembly required.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ether Frenzy posted:

Prime took a week back then!!

Still does today.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Sears, more like jeers mirite

Leperflesh