Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Weka posted:

Oh for sure, if the economy really hits the shitter they will likely be on the outs.

Wrong. If the choices are between a greater and a lesser evil, you should pick the later rather than the third option of failing to exert influence. Your position would seem to support the USA removing Saddam when they did for instance.

Lmao at the implication Z is the lesser of any evil

All the dude does is ask for guns and say "thank you but it's not enough, you are failing us"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol where does the thread title come from

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Oglethorpe posted:

lol where does the thread title come from

https://twitter.com/nogaikhanate/status/1612963703988834305

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GlassElephant posted:

That's what the Russians have been doing.
*bloodlust*

um, why did you post this?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

:eyepop:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

lollontee posted:

um, why did you post this?

The sad thing about no longer being able to do SYQ is that we lose our sense of relativism- him, mlmp, the :gb2gbs: guy are actually the most sane and hinged pro-Ukraine posters on the site

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jel Shaker posted:

i would simply use the big guns to make the trenches for me, or at least 90% of it

Improving shell holes is part of field fortifications and a lot of work. Iirc, mostly because of drainage, but also because the shape of a crater may not be ideal, they don't provide protection from shell bursts the way a trench does, something to do with the angle of the walls, also some stuff about the soil being unrevetted. There's a risk of loose soil burying you or you getting soaked or drowned, so you actually have to do a fair bit to make them habitable for any period of time. I believe this was covered in the recent experimental archeology book on WW1 trenches.

To loop back to the woods, I don't actually know what characteristics of Douglas fir-larch, Hemlock-fir, Spruce-pine-fir and Coast Sitka spruce make them suitable for this work. I would say "springiness" but that's not really a technical term. Anyone in the trades?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I found the Twitter account of Taylor Dudley, the 35 year old navy vet they released in Kaliningrad today.

https://twitter.com/dj_tayls/status/950121970842198016

https://twitter.com/dj_tayls/status/893491504462925826

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/electronicworld/episodes/2018-01-06T09_30_59-08_00

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Apparently civilian construction has the same preferences, though still no indication as to why:

"Specific wood is required for use in a timber shoring system. Oak with a bending strength of 850 psi and Douglas fir with a bending strength of 1500 psi are specifically mentioned in the Standard. Manufactured components are also allowed if they posses equivalent strength and tabulated data for the device is at the job site. NOTE: The timber shoring tables are specifically designed for either oak or Douglas fir, or equivalent, and care should be exercised not to mix the wood types in a shoring system."

Interesting, there's a paper as well,

Timber for the trenches: a new perspective on archaeological wood from First World War trenches in Flanders Fields

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Futanari Damacy posted:

The sad thing about no longer being able to do SYQ is that we lose our sense of relativism- him, mlmp, the :gb2gbs: guy are actually the most sane and hinged pro-Ukraine posters on the site

Yeah, the SYQ ban has improved my mental health quite a bit.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Frosted Flake posted:

After work I can riff on it here if the thread’s slow and there’s no news.

fingers crossed

cool thanks. I think I read this guy's blogs about military combat in Middle Earth a year ago lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

people are racist yes but as FF has been documenting it also comes from deliberate policy choices by governments

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Futanari Damacy posted:

the loss of SYQ is an inhumane injustice wrought upon cspam by a couple of now permabanned weirdos stupid poo poo. why does PYF get to have a goonlulz thread but we dont?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

genericnick posted:

It's hard enough reading that stuff- imagine thinking it! :haw:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

genericnick posted:

what!?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i dont know you people

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently civilian construction has the same preferences, though still no indication as to why:

"Specific wood is required for use in a timber shoring system. Oak with a bending strength of 850 psi and Douglas fir with a bending strength of 1500 psi are specifically mentioned in the Standard. Manufactured components are also allowed if they posses equivalent strength and tabulated data for the device is at the job site. NOTE: The timber shoring tables are specifically designed for either oak or Douglas fir, or equivalent, and care should be exercised not to mix the wood types in a shoring system."

Timber for the trenches: a new perspective on archaeological wood from First World War trenches in Flanders Fields

fir, spruce, and pine all hold nails well and are relatively strong for their weight. that's just from a woodworking perspective. none are especially hard to work with, having fairly sparse grain too

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GlassElephant posted:

That's what the Russians have been doing.
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1612852512838807557
From the pictures and videos the design of the trenches looks about the same, they just have cleaner lumber.
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1612852584578158592

Why are contractors working on military installations for the military during wartime counted as civilians? It sounds just like when Iraqis bombed an American army base and killed a bunch of non uninformed contractors repairing humvees or something. If you by choice work at a military installation, during an armed conflict, and willingly take the money from the military to be there and help it out doing military stuff then you are actually in the military partaking in the hostilities and not a civilian.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Please, we can do better than "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" :nallears:

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Would just like to re-affirm that I am Neutral in this war as is the only defensible stance.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm not really sure about specifics, but firs are generally among the softwoods with the highest specific and absolute strength. For fortifications, I would guess that hardwoods like oak and beech are just not as abundant or practical in the regions of interest, apart from being harder to work with.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zudgemud posted:

Why are contractors working on military installations for the military during wartime counted as civilians? It sounds just like when Iraqis bombed an American army base and killed a bunch of non uninformed contractors repairing humvees or something. If you by choice work at a military installation, during an armed conflict, and willingly take the money from the military to be there and help it out doing military stuff then you are actually in the military partaking in the hostilities and not a civilian.

That’s not how laws really work. No one is a “war criminal” if you blow up a military depot repairing military vehicles, and half the mechanics at the depot are contractors. Everyone gets that.

But hunting down and killing a person who sells sandwiches or coffee at a base, because they’re not a pure enough civilian? yeeesh

Plus a ton of other legal distinctions.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Zudgemud posted:

grover?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lmao

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
The Dnieper marshes are a kind of Great Dismal Swamp if you think about it

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

"Sawn lumber used for shoring and timbering should ideally be a minimum of No. 2 or better from the following groups:"

Douglas fir-larch
Hemlock-fir
Spruce-pine-fir
Coast Sitka spruce

I don't actually know anything about soil and the like.

Those seem to be soft woods, meaning they are generally easier to cut and handle although they are not as resilient.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lollontee posted:

the loss of SYQ is an inhumane injustice wrought upon cspam by a couple of now permabanned weirdos stupid poo poo. why does PYF get to have a goonlulz thread but we dont?

you can probably post a goonlulz thread? syq was unfunny succ thread garbage though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Morbus posted:

I'm not really sure about specifics, but firs are generally among the softwoods with the highest specific and absolute strength. For fortifications, I would guess that hardwoods like oak and beech are just not as abundant or practical in the regions of interest, apart from being harder to work with.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

fir, spruce, and pine all hold nails well and are relatively strong for their weight. that's just from a woodworking perspective. none are especially hard to work with, having fairly sparse grain too

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. We just have axes, hatchets and crosscut saws, at least at the battery level so I'd imagine that comes into it too. I don't think we have too many nails allocated either.

The early Cold War American pam is online and it gives you an idea of how much backbreaking labour there is, and keep in mind these guns have a smaller footprint than the M777. Its days of labour without the sappers coming up with their bulldozers. When the ground is frozen you have to build a fire over it too, which obviously may not be possible, due to the military situation.

Gun crews have gotten smaller since to Cold War too. I think this dovetails with the discussion months ago about why tanks having a Loader or Assistant Driver may be worthwhile for its own sake. There's just so much work to be done that having a "Fuze setter" in the gun detachment that's mostly there to have 8 people instead of 7 doing hard manual labour is likely worth the inefficiency. If I remember the recent "more efficient" US warships also ran into this problem as there were so many things sailors needed to do outside of action stations that a larger compliment helps significantly.

I hope this clarifies why a military that has skimped out on bayonet strength might employ civilian contractors too, by the way.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Jan 12, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Zodium posted:

you can probably post a goonlulz thread? syq was unfunny succ thread garbage though.

We specifically are not allowed to do this I think, in the context of the war and what other people are posting. I wouldn't fight about it though, it's one of those things where we'll just have to be content with being on the right side of history

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I miss the syq's, I think we should explore bringing them back.. maybe start off when only letting trusted and responsible CSPAM'ers syq and see how that goes

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the Russian Federation doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a tank factory gets killed when the tank plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a FAB-1000 dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the Azovstal bunker vending machines eats a 2500kg bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the thread is up

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ThomasPanagopo3/status/1613268402176401427

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

Saying we need to keep Zelensky or else someone worse will take over is like saying we needed to support Trump so Mike Pence didn't become president... it's never morally defensible to support "the evil you know" :o:

Look I know the skies are on fire and it's literally hell on earth but if we don't give demon Lord Asmodeus our unwavering support, despite the fire pits full of babies and the factories that make IKEA out of human skin & bone, we could end up with someone worse.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
All countries should cease military assistance to Ukraine. Humanitarian only should go through.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Futanari Damacy posted:

https://twitter.com/yeongno3/status/1613530126964359168

Given the outcome of battle so far it would have to be an angel, wouldn't it?

I can fix her

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

All countries should cease military assistance to Ukraine. Humanitarian only should go through.

yeah that is an easy first step towards peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

lollontee posted:

the thread is up

what thread?