Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

They have a tag called "Death to the NCAA"

And two of the better media sources out there talking about college football, Shutdown Fullcast and Split Zone Duo, would agree with that stance.

(In before somebody makes the “SZD is an NFL podcast” joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
To hand-wring about the NCAA in 2023 is to be somewhat out of the loop anyway, the NCAA is already dead and everyone pretty much knows it including the NCAA. It’s the conferences and to a large extent ESPN who have their hand on the wheel now.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I really think the lack of coverage on Defector is about no one having CFB expertise/really loving CFB. If they bring on someone who loves the college game, they'll have more articles about it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's a shame because college sports is usually an unending torrent of stupid happening.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Exactly. The amount of undeserving doofuses that get college coaching jobs and end up loving up over and over is ripe for the exact kind of humor I expect from Defector.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Here’s everything on Defector with a College Football subject line.

And here’s Death to the NCAA.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/bigcontentguy/status/1612215818674225153

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Skip's Tweet bumped his ratings 57%, humanity as predictable as ever:
https://www.thewrap.com/skip-bayless-shannon-sharpe-feud-fs1-undisputed-ratings-boost/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

General Dog posted:

To hand-wring about the NCAA in 2023 is to be somewhat out of the loop anyway, the NCAA is already dead and everyone pretty much knows it including the NCAA. It’s the conferences and to a large extent ESPN who have their hand on the wheel now.

the ncaa is currently attempting to nail jim harbaugh over playing dumb about a breakfast he paid for with a university credit card during the covid dead period

it's a joke

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah this isn't remotely surprising

His entire career since he got to ESPN has just been him trying to start poo poo to get ratings and attention. It's worked incredibly well considering how rich he is now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this isn't remotely surprising

His entire career since he got to ESPN has just been him trying to start poo poo to get ratings and attention. It's worked incredibly well considering how rich he is now.

There was a really fascinating profile of him in the Washington Post ten years ago.

He strikes me as someone who is deeply driven to succeed--to the point that he's estranged from much of his family--but also someone who is very, very deeply depressed.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

He is a deeply miserable person, which weirdly plays into his inflicting as much misery upon everyone as long as he gets ratings and is paid.

He was the first person heard on KCTK in Dallas in January 1994. He was fired after a year of irritating the audience and alienating his coworkers, with whom he cultivated no relationships. At media events he won’t even acknowledge any of his former colleagues from that station.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He keeps posting those pictures of him working out or whatever and it comes off as very pathetic

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What psycho willingly eats a five-day-old sub?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dinosaurs! posted:

What psycho willingly eats a five-day-old sub?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

There was a really fascinating profile of him in the Washington Post ten years ago.

He strikes me as someone who is deeply driven to succeed--to the point that he's estranged from much of his family--but also someone who is very, very deeply depressed.

That’s a shame (not really) because I’m sure his brother makes some good meals for the holidays.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1613669066161397761?s=46&t=jVYg6ufq5spOdGJj91eYSA

Shams doing some shameful whitewashing here

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

He keeps posting those pictures of him working out or whatever and it comes off as very pathetic

Uncle Rico of sports entertainment.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

yeah his ankle must've been real hosed up there, made a horrible creaking noise that you swear sounded like

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah his ankle must've been real hosed up there, made a horrible creaking noise that you swear sounded like
Fuckin ankles worse than Carlos Correa swear to god

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Yeah this is bad. Leonard is a poo poo head and embarrassed the NBA pretty bad after they did all that fluff on him and then he said a slur. He must have a hell of an agent but maybe Shams should say no to this one. Especially since him making the team, while not impossible, is unlikely. The Lakers have been working dudes out every single week for a month and none of them made it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

To follow up he did end up acknowledging it after getting pilloried for a half hour

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Defector paywall is down this week.
https://twitter.com/barry/status/1613907970118778880?s=20&t=43nYFYly2X8EbM2coB7zsQ

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The guest blog from a weird twitter guy who tells a story about interviewing to be Elon / Tesla's in-house Brand Poster is pretty great.

https://defector.com/i-was-almost-elon-musks-twitter-voice/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rick posted:

Yeah this is bad. Leonard is a poo poo head and embarrassed the NBA pretty bad after they did all that fluff on him and then he said a slur. He must have a hell of an agent but maybe Shams should say no to this one. Especially since him making the team, while not impossible, is unlikely. The Lakers have been working dudes out every single week for a month and none of them made it.

Just wait till Miles Bridges is signed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do Shams articles read like that? Did they get him an editor?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do Shams articles read like that? Did they get him an editor?

I’m not sure there’s any outlet thats had an editor on payroll for 15 years now

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Just wait till Miles Bridges is signed.

not that being better at basketball excuses someone for being an irredeemable shithead, but there's at least a basketball reason someone might want to sign miles bridges

leonard was never going to be anything more than the second or third big off the bench for any team; other than a little career renaissance in miami he was wrapping up an unremarkable career as a backup 20 mpg center. i don't necessarily blame the lakers for kicking the tires on him but any workouts he's getting at this point are favors to his agent; similarly, shams playing loving stupid is also a favor to his agent (whereas the inevitable miles bridges redemption arc will likely also be at the behest of the teams that are interested in signing him)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Never Forget

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sports Argument Stadium › The Sports Journalism Tumblr: Calling me a racist is cute

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
God, that's such classic Rovell. Especially since the reason he was buying all that MLK memorabilia was because he thought it was undervalued and he'd be able to flip it for profit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

a fool is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing

wakka wakka

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

God, that's such classic Rovell. Especially since the reason he was buying all that MLK memorabilia was because he thought it was undervalued and he'd be able to flip it for profit.

IIRC correctly, that included pages of the Birmingham jail ledger. Rovell pitched a fit when people suggested he donate things to a museum.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Never Forget

An incredible moment in sports journalism history.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

You could curate a coffee table book with incredibly tone-deaf Darren Rovell tweets.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

habeasdorkus posted:

I forgot about this

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Huge SBNation layoffs today. Lots of soccer & hockey sites bring shuttered at least (I mainly follow those folks).

and some folks are particularly ghoulish about it https://twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1616454843303854080?s=46&t=OeF1Kwls6sLKr9cYfgQ04Q

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Don't really get where the cost savings are coming from by firing people you barely pay

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Said it before and I’ll say it again: Vox quit caring about SB Nation, the site that birthed it, the second it became a go-to read for Beltway people who make decisions in the DNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Troy Queef posted:

Said it before and I’ll say it again: Vox quit caring about SB Nation, the site that birthed it, the second it became a go-to read for Beltway people who make decisions in the DNC.

100% true.