Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slavvy posted:

What is wrong with dutch people genuinely?

Like idk who the biggest assholes are or whatever but every single dutch person I have ever interacted with has been batshit crazy and irrational, like they were raised in a bizarre mirror universe

Calvinism. so you can trace the corruption to the English, the root of all modern evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

mawarannahr posted:

Calvinism. so you can trace the corruption to the English, the root of all modern evil.

calvin was swiss-french?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

oscarthewilde posted:

calvin was swiss-french?

he was? I’m just hearing this for the first time. oh well carry on.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the dutch like the belgians have the temerity to be a small piece of poo poo country that gets invaded and occupied 24/7 but also carry out some of the biggest colonial genocides of world history. also the fact that they were the birthplace of calvinism puts them on the bottom of the list.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://twitter.com/Jingjing_Li/status/1610480399939178496?s=20&t=H-UpR_Z_jBN6RyaXyMHM5w

:whitewater:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

this is my president

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

the dutch like the belgians have the temerity to be a small piece of poo poo country that gets invaded and occupied 24/7 but also carry out some of the biggest colonial genocides of world history. also the fact that they were the birthplace of calvinism puts them on the bottom of the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcUs5X9glCc

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1613566549012500483?s=20

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

exmarx posted:

the nz one of those maps claims that the highest-density place is a tiny town with less than half the density of auckland lol. i'm pretty sure whakatāne should be flat too

If you're married to a new Zealander you get counted as well so it's including sheep etc.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Slavvy posted:

What is wrong with dutch people genuinely?

Like idk who the biggest assholes are or whatever but every single dutch person I have ever interacted with has been batshit crazy and irrational, like they were raised in a bizarre mirror universe

Developed an easily exploited class consciousness via Calvinism, got rich/ like proto america, then got horribly owned. Broke brained ever since.

Expect goons to become mentally Dutch if the forums survive the biosphere collapse.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

quote:

It is not automatically inappropriate for police officers to work overseas. The F.B.I., for example, posts agents abroad. But they typically declare themselves to the foreign government and work out of American embassies. If they perform law enforcement duties, it is with the permission of the local authorities. China has made similar arrangements for joint patrols in places like Italy, a popular destination for Chinese tourists.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Absolutely dastardly

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Anglo countries just keep digging up new buzz words to synergize the anti-China league. Confucians Institute...Thousand Talent professors...Oversea Police Outpost.. They are going to get to the Taoist temples soon.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's like a stupid person had to write dialogue for the egghead who explains why there are demons on mars.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Eminent DNS posted:

Absolutely dastardly

i love how the stenographers don't dare allowing replies on their china bad twitter anymore

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The NYPD literally has several branches in other countries

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I will pray for victory in Xi Jinping's eternal struggle to dethrone God.

It is his mandate of heaven.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
President Xi says "Reach Heaven through Violence."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Just going to say people trying to kill and dethrone god have a good track record of success

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Xi would obviously rather betray God than to have God betray him.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the context of this clip is that he went full postmodern while trying to keep himself aligned with a muslim fundementalist redpill vtuber

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

like he's been grifting on the traditionalist islam circuit and he said something like "well the story of cain an able literally happened, it's literally happening all the time, it's a fundamental tale we see repeated in politics, in war etc"

And the other guy said "yah but I believe it literally happened like, literally, do you think it happened as is written in the Quran"

and that's what he responded. because he's trying to reach a new audience. just fyi

and also he's railed against post modernism but just employed it par excellence in trying to keep his grift going.

it's super funny with the context imo. debauchery.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

It depends on what your definition of "is" is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it depends what you mean by "funny"

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

If you're mocking my post, we're in a bit of a whoosh situation. But I'm angry regardless

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

it depends what you mean by "funny"

posting every single Jordan Peterson tweet might be the funniest joke in the world, no wonder it’s a goon favorite

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This is interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDyjSp-2kcY&t=28s

I never understand in places like Japan and HK, why people don't like to live in the rural side. I mean just lower the tax for the suburbs.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

This is interesting

I never understand in places like Japan and HK, why people don't like to live in the rural side. I mean just lower the tax for the suburbs.

car ownership and/or walking distance to basic goods might play a factor

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

This is interesting

I work a permanent-WFH job, so I could move out to the suburbs or the provinces. In fact it's probably the only way I'll ever be able to afford a house-and-lot at a reasonable price

couple of issues are:

* as Oglethorpe said, distance to basic goods can be a factor - Lazada/Aliexpress and online shopping can cover a lot of gadgetry and conspicuous consumption, but where I am right now it's like a five minute walk to a supermarket and a drugstore, and maybe a 10-15 minute drive to any kind of retail establishment I'm looking for. It wouldn't be insurmountable to have to work with "your groceries are a minimum 30 minutes away and everything is closed by 8 PM", but it would take some adjustment

* distance to friends and family is another factor - it can be A Thing to know that you're more than an hour away from folks you want to hang out with

* going to work - my position of being able to WFH all the time is relatively rare, and the prospect of an hour-plus commute into the city can be daunting if you have the option to otherwise not do that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

This is interesting

cause cities are way cooler and better to live in

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

This is interesting

I know nothing about HK, but you don't have to go far into the Japanese country side to find old style toilets again. Also like half the restaurants are run by retirement age couples. The other half by widowers.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The cities are where all the jobs are.

Obviously rural America is way different but I have friends who visit their families in the boonies and they just talk about how all the jobs there are medical ones that try to stem the bleeding of a completely exploited and abandoned region.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

I know nothing about HK, but you don't have to go far into the Japanese country side to find old style toilets again. Also like half the restaurants are run by retirement age couples. The other half by widowers.

Yeah, in general a lot of towns are also just generally dying and it isn’t perhaps that exciting to live there even if it is cheap. I think WFH can help to some extent but in Japan their demographic decline is just too steep to offset. Eventually, even the Tokyo region is going to start shrinking.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The cities are where all the jobs are.

Obviously rural America is way different but I have friends who visit their families in the boonies and they just talk about how all the jobs there are medical ones that try to stem the bleeding of a completely exploited and abandoned region.

Rural everywhere is pretty much that these days. They're abandoned and ignored, there's no reason for anyone to stay there beyond stubbornness or outright inability, and a lot of the people who are still there are goddamn crazy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

genericnick posted:

First of all, I watched that video, it's not a lot of money. It's 1mil yen (8k usd) but you have to stay in the same countryside for 5 years. I rather they give out annually, like 4k, 3k, 3k for first 3 years.

Now back to your concern. How expensive it is to replace the toilet? I have seem my contractor replaced the toilet twice, it's not that hard.

About the small restaurants, are you saying you don't like tiny family run restaurant or you don't like to make conversation with old couples?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I work a permanent-WFH job, so I could move out to the suburbs or the provinces. In fact it's probably the only way I'll ever be able to afford a house-and-lot at a reasonable price

couple of issues are:

* as Oglethorpe said, distance to basic goods can be a factor - Lazada/Aliexpress and online shopping can cover a lot of gadgetry and conspicuous consumption, but where I am right now it's like a five minute walk to a supermarket and a drugstore, and maybe a 10-15 minute drive to any kind of retail establishment I'm looking for. It wouldn't be insurmountable to have to work with "your groceries are a minimum 30 minutes away and everything is closed by 8 PM", but it would take some adjustment

* distance to friends and family is another factor - it can be A Thing to know that you're more than an hour away from folks you want to hang out with

* going to work - my position of being able to WFH all the time is relatively rare, and the prospect of an hour-plus commute into the city can be daunting if you have the option to otherwise not do that

Most of your points are general big city vs suburb pros and cons. I remember I used to care about these incentives but after my kid was born these metropolitan benefits seem much less important. I agree with you it's very rare for full time WFH jobs, especially for 2 people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
like, I'm not saying I would never move to the 'burbs - if I ever scrape up the money, why not, right? I was just pointing out the trade-offs

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I fell into a Filipino suburban house rabbithole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpBu2A-i68M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78ecciLAOQ

I love the SE Asian architectural aesthetic.

I've never been to SE Asia and have no connections there but it sure looks pretty awesome. a WfH job while living there would be nice.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Now back to your concern. How expensive it is to replace the toilet? I have seem my contractor replaced the toilet twice, it's not that hard.

idk if this is a problem in suburban/rural Japan like it is in some parts of hick rear end bullshit central PA but it can depend on the local plumbing infrastructure, you may not have a lot of options

gradenko_2000 posted:

like, I'm not saying I would never move to the 'burbs - if I ever scrape up the money, why not, right? I was just pointing out the trade-offs

because they stink!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

About the small restaurants, are you saying you don't like tiny family run restaurant or you don't like to make conversation with old couples?

I used that more as an example of a general lack of modern infrastructure, than a particular complaint about the toilets. (they suck though). Nothing against old couples, but that's the general age structure the more you go out from the cities. Everyone's old because the kids moved away and if you move into a village while young everyone except you is going to be old.