Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I wonder if nexo will stop trying to buy my nexo.us domain or finally offer 5 figgies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Qwertycoatl posted:

It might also be a vague shoutout to the conspiracy theory that he was arrested to prevent him from testifying to congress, for reasons of ????

(a theory which, as well as suffering from lack of sensible motive, also fails to account for the fact that nothing in the world can prevent SBF from telling everyone everything)

If you sewed his mouth shut, he would spontaneously develop telepathy so he could keep incriminating himself.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nexous posted:

I wonder if nexo will stop trying to buy my nexo.us domain or finally offer 5 figgies

After this you’d be lucky to be getting 5 delicious figs from them.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So now the SEC is charging genesis and gemini with selling securities....maybe sbf was onto something about paying off law makers to tell regulators to stay out of this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I believe that, generally speaking, a company's first order of business, particularly financial firms, should be "comply with the law". Is it web3 innovation to not do that?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
the other shoe drops on barry

https://twitter.com/GaryGensler/status/1613658338629230611

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

jokes posted:

I believe that, generally speaking, a company's first order of business, particularly financial firms, should be "comply with the law". Is it web3 innovation to not do that?

Most tech startups operate under the principle of "Do it until we're ordered not to"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

drk posted:

as riveting as pig chat is, how about chicken eggchat

Zac Oyama was right all along.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

jokes posted:

They asked each other and said it's fine.

Many of the people I used to deal with in crypto, I had also strongly advocated should contact lawyers *before* doing anything because of the lack of understanding of crypto legality and so on. They always, always are unwilling to seek professionals, out of being cheap and/or arrogance.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

notwithoutmyanus posted:

They asked each other and said it's fine.

Many of the people I used to deal with in crypto, I had also strongly advocated should contact lawyers *before* doing anything because of the lack of understanding of crypto legality and so on. They always, always are unwilling to seek professionals, out of being cheap and/or arrogance.
Cheap? The'll spend 5k on a NFT but not to retain a lawyer?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Lammasu posted:

If the lawyer says "Don't do that, it's illegal," how do they get a lambo? Best to just move fast and break things.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lammasu posted:

Without even blinking if it were asked in the same sentence - yes. It's pure greed/narcissistic blinders.

Mindset ^^^ is spot on for many of em. They'll never find me/care about me, etc.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is now a good time to invest in Bitcoin?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lammasu posted:

why get a real lawyer when they can get or make nfts of Phoenix Wright?

(the answer is because Wright only does murder cases or cases that lead to murder. also if your name is a pun of somekind , oh boy better hope your not the vic.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PhazonLink posted:

(the answer is because Wright only does murder cases or cases that lead to murder. also if your name is a pun of somekind , oh boy better hope your not the vic.)

your honor, it's obvious that my client, ezzie mark, was never even in the same room as the victim. in fact, at that moment, he was buying these invisible tokens from the real killer's accomplice, mr pansy!!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

Is now a good time to invest in Bitcoin?

look at this guy and his investing

Buy the dip

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ups_rail posted:

look at this guy and his investing

Buy the dip

Which dip?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

wasn't there a poster in this thread who used to have a gimmick along the lines of "sure, most crypto outfits are scams and ponzi schemes, but Nexo seems legit"? how's that working out? oh, it's working out exactly like everyone else predicted?
To be fair, the money laundering and tax crimes industry can offer real consistent profits in a way most crypto things can't. Laundering money is an in-demand service people will actually pay for

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Bondematt posted:

Which dip?

Ranch for me personally but you have to consider your risk adverseness

drk
Jan 16, 2005
i know it was already discussed last page, but this is a very fine vintage of mycrimes.jpg

also, good reading for a 1L class entitled "so your client's an rear end in a top hat"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mozi posted:

he only has one playbook, it worked for him well in the past and he can't think of any other strategy. this is just to appear well-meaning and open and helpful, the 'good guy' of crypto. ofc we know from leaked messages he knows it's all BS. but yea what he's doing now is just trying to will this alternate reality back into existence where he could just spout off nice-sounding things while playing LoL and rich and powerful people give him money. it's not working but he can't admit it

nah, his playbook was to bribe as many politicians as possible before stealing a shitload if money. to be fair, it’s a plan that usually works out well.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Bondematt posted:

Which dip?

All of them!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sophy Wackles posted:

All of them!

The that comes after I place my hand upon your hip!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Most tech startups operate under the principle of "Do it until we're ordered not to"

Amazon's no-sales-tax method of getting ahead of retailers sure worked wonders while it lasted!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

nah, his playbook was to bribe as many politicians as possible before stealing a shitload if money. to be fair, it’s a plan that usually works out well.

no, what you're describing is the standard rich person playbook, not what SBF is doing with his current publicity tours

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Does SBF have an elon musk style cult following or something? Or does he pretend like he does?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

nachos posted:

Does SBF have an elon musk style cult following or something? Or does he pretend like he does?

He did briefly I believe, before everything imploded and the news about his multiple multimillion dollar mansions started spreading he was lauded as being the good guy bitcoinrich man, because he drove a normal car you see

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
i had a soft green poo poo today and as a result bitcoin has gone up

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Last summer, the company I work for flew our 82-year-old semi-retired Crypt Keeper-looking gently caress who was a bigshot at the company back when time was young. He gave an hour-long presentation about how the metaverse and cryptocurrency were the future of business and we all will need to be prepared for the massive changes coming very soon. Naturally, he received a standing ovation from a rogue's gallery of sycophants and blank stares awestruck by an octogenarian's visionary insight about poo poo he completely does not understand.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Alan Smithee posted:

*cops arrest winkles seperately*

"nono you want the other twin, I'm the innocent one!"

One twin always lies, the other twin always also lies.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Last summer, the company I work for flew our 82-year-old semi-retired Crypt Keeper-looking gently caress who was a bigshot at the company back when time was young. He gave an hour-long presentation about how the metaverse and cryptocurrency were the future of business and we all will need to be prepared for the massive changes coming very soon. Naturally, he received a standing ovation from a rogue's gallery of sycophants and blank stares awestruck by an octogenarian's visionary insight about poo poo he completely does not understand.

Lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hope he made an nft of his prime age self so when he dies he's be a coin.

also hope the hardrive the coin is held on is safe and stuff. reminds me of a Batman Beyond episode where an AI infects the batsuit, then "dies" at the end from getting empedstabbed frpm an improvised eletro spear and it de ages into death. lol at Terry's non human not killcount.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

hope he made an nft of his prime age self so when he dies he's be a coin.

also hope the hardrive the coin is held on is safe and stuff. reminds me of a Batman Beyond episode where an AI infects the batsuit, then "dies" at the end from getting empedstabbed frpm an improvised eletro spear and it de ages into death. lol at Terry's non human not killcount.

Batman Beyond went hard. p anti transhumanism for some reason tho, i blame 90s drug war allegories

They actually use fully digital currency in that and the spinoff The Zeta Project has the titular robot be a holographic Terminator who explicitly is able to generate as much money as he needs

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hey anyone know why btc shot up?

Is it a rug pull, a pump dump, did you buy the dip?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I would not be surprised if whatever happened involved laws being broken or about to be broken.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

nachos posted:

Probably a few but I don't think anything much at all. The effective altruists liked him but they were more interested in his money than his ideas. And in the cryptocurrency world his exchange was the boring well-run one that you could trust wouldn't suddenly go bankrupt.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Ups_rail posted:

There's no more bad news that could possibly happen, future is bright

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://mycrimes.blog

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I don't get it, is this one of those "he's not confesssing, he's bragging" type deals?

Pretty sure SBF is just an AI chatbot that's used financial media and it's own farts as reference data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

It's Bitcoin following the stock market on more positive (than forecast) CPI data and recent dollar index moves with China releasing restrictions on Taiwan, most likely. Which resulted in a short squeeze liquidating 300 million or so of retail traders for Bitcoin. It has created a gap at about 19k, but how that gap gets filled (or created tomorrow) is anyone's guess.