Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
That's basically what xTeVe works around - merging and managing multiple playlists into that single one (which my TV only supports one loaded at a time as well for example). xTeVe is actually really useful and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you had that kind of issue again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve used xteve before but only with external m3u sources before I realized it was more hassle than it was worth. Might give it a whirl again when I’ve got some free time and try do some mixing of the internal stuff I’d like to generate channels from and the real live TV stuff. Thanks for the reminder it handles multiple sources!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah I may try xteve for local stuff too since it’s free. Would also prefer to keep everything in Plex, the Channels app ingests Plex media folders but you have to use their player app.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Fwiw the xTeVe Devs are really really helpful to even dumbasses like me via their discord too.

For actually making channels and playlists I remember DizqueTV being ok and there was at least one other I tried but can't remember. Both were aimed at Plex IPTV integration and if that's all you want then you don't need xTeVe with them, just load the playlist and EPG XML into Plex IPTV by pointing it at DizqueTV you're running.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've found ErsatzTV to be the best one so far, but I haven't played with xTeVe yet - I'll have to take a look.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah ersatz was what I was messing with, but I managed to keep crashing it just with a handful of MVs and ran out of time to get to the bottom of it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well I got ersatz up and running. Kind of a pain in the rear end because the whole channels, collections, schedules, and playouts could be a little clearer. I was stumped on why I couldn't get my channels to sync into Plex until I realized I had to create playouts for them. But it works and it's nice that it integrates into Plex so it has wider compatibility without having to use additional player apps.

Obviously seems a lot more fiddly than Channels app but I'll give both a shot and see if I even use this kind of thing over the next month. It's an attractive idea to throw something on in the background or in the evening but will I actually use it?

Is there something where Plex records Live TV streams and therefore eats up space when doing this kind of setup? I can't find a setting for that but someone in the various threads I went through said something about it?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Plex media server is closing 30 seconds after boot the pc into Windows / start it up again. Any likely things I can check?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I... didn't know that pseudo-tv lives on in not one but two different projects. (the other being https://github.com/vexorian/dizquetv)

Time to recreate the disney afternoon complete with bumpers.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ChannelsDVR is a much better app for live dvr than plex. Well worth the yearly fee and an IPTV service. I use m3u4u to whittle down the feed since channels caps IPTV at 500 channels. This is for my mom, I just use IPTV apps as I only use it for live sports but my mom watches all her hgtv and hallmark poo poo.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

Plex media server is closing 30 seconds after boot the pc into Windows / start it up again. Any likely things I can check?

Check the logs?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Qwijib0 posted:

I... didn't know that pseudo-tv lives on in not one but two different projects. (the other being https://github.com/vexorian/dizquetv)

Time to recreate the disney afternoon complete with bumpers.

This is pretty cool! It didn't take long to setup, and I created some content-specific channels for friends.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Remember the only people who can see the tuners, whether live or generated, are those in your Plex Home and not just regular people added to your library. Kind of a pain which is why I’d like them to implement pseudo channel generators using local content officially.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Remember the only people who can see the tuners, whether live or generated, are those in your Plex Home and not just regular people added to your library. Kind of a pain which is why I’d like them to implement pseudo channel generators using local content officially.

Yep - definitely annoying, but I do have a few friends that I've added as home users so they can enjoy plex pass perks like intro skipping.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’ve not seen any major disadvantages to adding people to home at least. I think there’s a hard limit to how many and the people on it can access any accounts you have without PINs but that’s about it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I've played more with ErsatzTV, setup about a dozen channels, and this thing is going to change how I use Plex for passive watching during work and evenings when I want to zone out. I know there's been rumblings for years about them adding it but it really should be a Plex native feature. I still think it's a little convoluted to setup, but collections, smart collections, and multi-collections are pretty slick.

- Collections can pull from any library, so I made an Evil Dead channel that has the Ash Vs show and all of the movies shuffled randomly.
- Multi-collections can combine multiple channels into one. I made individual channels for UFO shows, ghost shows, and cryptic shows. And then a Paranormal channel that pulls from each of those.
- Smart collections can search any metadata provided by Plex using pretty complex queries. So I created a channel for movies directed by Steven Spielberg, another for 70's horror movies, etc. And using smart collections means as Plex library updates so do my channels.

As you can tell by my media collection, I have no friends so sharing isn't a dealbreaker for me. I cancelled the getchannels app trial subscription since I have no use for DVR and just want linear channels of my media. I'm going to throw some money at the dev because this is pretty well put together and I've wanted this functionality for years.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

kri kri posted:

ChannelsDVR is a much better app for live dvr than plex. Well worth the yearly fee and an IPTV service. I use m3u4u to whittle down the feed since channels caps IPTV at 500 channels. This is for my mom, I just use IPTV apps as I only use it for live sports but my mom watches all her hgtv and hallmark poo poo.

Tried this out today and it's really good. Integrates with cable provider TVE somehow too... magic!

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Read through the OP and last few pages so sorry if this is beaten to death. Let me know maybe if this is more appropriate in the NAS or homeland thread?

I'm interested in setting up a Plex server (along with radarr, sonarr etc) for me and some friends. I'm very into the software side of things but not super keen on the hardware side of researching, buying and building a HTPC* with enough power to host around 4 - 5 clients (i.e. 4 - 5 houses)

Came up on a guide online for hosting Plex on the free tier of Oracle cloud ( though it only has 200gb storage so I'd need to either pay for another online storage or Oracle sub). Lots of setting up Ubuntu and docker and containers etc. which is what I'm interested in learning. (I might also gently caress around with hosting a gaming server or whatever).

So, how feasible is this with Plex for around 5 clients? Are the specs in the oracle free tier by themselves enough for the kind of data flows I'd expect or am I gonna get hit with some surprise "you've been auto upgraded to our silver torqouise tier, pls send $500"? I'm also not opposed to paying for a cloud service either so it doesn't have to be oracle necessarily.

Note too, cost wise, that I'd prob be splitting costs between 5 households (7-10 people).

*I'm not completely opposed to hardware homelab if it's a significant cost difference. If we're talking a few hundred bucks difference that means I don't need the headache of hardware then that's fine. If we're talking "you're gonna get turbofucked by a cloud provider" then I could prob rope a friend who's more into the hardware side to do that part

Edit: https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/ details on the cloud stuff

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
IDK if its anything like AWS but outbound bandwidth from cloud providers can get very expensive, very quick.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

IDK if its anything like AWS but outbound bandwidth from cloud providers can get very expensive, very quick.

I do cloud services for a living and there is no way in hell I'd host a Plex server in a cloud, for this very reason.

My recommendation for you, op, would be to go buy a Synology NAS, set up Plex as a Docker container, and call it a day.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

cruft posted:

My recommendation for you, op, would be to go buy a Synology NAS, set up Plex as a Docker container, and call it a day.
I haven't looked recently, does Synology have anything in the current lineup with quick sync? If not, they are going to have a bad time running multiple streams.

Or are we in the fantasy world where we somehow train everyone how to direct play everything?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 12, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CopperHound posted:

I haven't looked recently, does Synology have anything in the current lineup with quick sync? If not, they are going to have a bad time running multiple streams.

Or are we in the fantasy world where we somehow train everyone how to direct play everything?

Fair point. I keep forgetting that not everybody has the bulk of their stuff encoded in h.264.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

265 supremacy, the real problem is the people who insist in watching in a Chrome window.

Also Plex for just sticking terrible default settings for remote streaming like it’s 2007.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

265 supremacy, the real problem is the people who insist in watching in a Chrome window.

:argh:

Fortunately for me, this has only ever been one person at a time, and the RPi4 can keep up with a single 1080p h.265->h.264 transcode," cruft said, watching a movie in a Chrome window.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also Plex for just sticking terrible default settings for remote streaming like it’s 2007.

I can rationalize a lot of Plex's business decisions, but it really annoys me that not one PM on their team has a enough desire for this feature to get it implemented. Are Plex devs even using their own apps? Give me AMD quicksync, more dynamic transcoding options, forced direct play under a certain resolution, etc.

They're some of the highest voted posts on their support forum for years now, and they're always ignored.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 12, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cruft posted:

Fortunately for me, this has only ever been one person at a time, and the RPi4 can keep up with a single 1080p h.265->h.264 transcode," cruft said, watching a movie in a Chrome window.

If you can run chrome you can install https://github.com/iwalton3/plex-mpv-shim and direct play everything.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Dumb question, since all the various IPTV discussion has been going on: I added ersatztv to my docker-compose and got it set up and working with Plex without issue. But I'm not the type of person to read things before just doing them, so I'm at the end here and it looks like the only access is going to be on my local network or externally via Plex (with plex pass) somehow. If I wanted to make channels for my broke-rear end friends, is there any way to just make something, provide the m3u file and have them connect? Is the only way to do this by adding them as family members so they get the benefit of the plex pass?

Every time I consider doing something outside the network, it comes to using a reverse proxy and I've never been able to get that working, but if it's required, I could look in that direction and give it another go. Am I overcomplicating things?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

George RR Fartin posted:

Dumb question, since all the various IPTV discussion has been going on: I added ersatztv to my docker-compose and got it set up and working with Plex without issue. But I'm not the type of person to read things before just doing them, so I'm at the end here and it looks like the only access is going to be on my local network or externally via Plex (with plex pass) somehow. If I wanted to make channels for my broke-rear end friends, is there any way to just make something, provide the m3u file and have them connect? Is the only way to do this by adding them as family members so they get the benefit of the plex pass?

Every time I consider doing something outside the network, it comes to using a reverse proxy and I've never been able to get that working, but if it's required, I could look in that direction and give it another go. Am I overcomplicating things?

Open your Plex port, add them as a home family member, let them enjoy your plex pass perks like intro detection (outro detection coming soon!).

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

CopperHound posted:

Depends on what you get

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

cruft posted:

I see people say this and I'm wondering, is the main benefit to running Plex via Docker over the package just more control of settings?

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 12, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MikusR posted:

If you can run chrome you can install https://github.com/iwalton3/plex-mpv-shim and direct play everything.

The people using chrome aren’t going to do this

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

I have a 2bay DS218+. I'm close to out of space with 2x18tb drives. If I want to expand the drive bays, would I go with a DS920+ then? I use hardware transcode.
Would looking at ebay for a used one be a bad idea? $750 for 2 year old hardware hurts.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

deong posted:

I have a 2bay DS218+. I'm close to out of space with 2x18tb drives. If I want to expand the drive bays, would I go with a DS920+ then? I use hardware transcode.
Would looking at ebay for a used one be a bad idea? $750 for 2 year old hardware hurts.

I dont know anything synology, but if cost is an issue you might be able to get a pretty decent OEM like an HP or something for pretty cheap. Could ask here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

deong posted:

I have a ds918+ that was 549 new and has 4 bays. At the time it had as much hardware support as any of the Synology units and it’s working fine, albeit for 1080p content.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

jisforjosh posted:

Depends on what you get

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MfYoJkiwSqCXg8cm5-Ac4oOLPRtCkgUxU0jdj3tmMPc/edit#gid=1274624273

I see people say this and I'm wondering, is the main benefit to running Plex via Docker over the package just more control of settings?

What would be the cheapest for being able to support 4-5 users?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

I'd be worried about getting the feds called on you for :filez:. Also, go look at the size of your files and figure out how many plays you'll get with 200gb. You are looking at ~20 movies before you run out of bandwidth. Also, like someone else said commercial cloud bandwidth gets :homebrew: super quickly. You can look into seedboxes which I'm not going to link to because :filez: but that might be better solution to pay someone to host. Once again it's still not going to be cheap because of bandwidth costs. If everyone is using your Plex server regularly I'd estimate 500gb per user. This is a case where Tautulli would be useful.

EDIT: For how many users it comes down to if you need to transcode or not. If most of your stuff is in h264 and all of your users request to "direct play" (just play the file with no transcode) you could get away with not much. Serving files is cheap. However, if you start having h265 content and people want h264 it can take a very beefy server to handle that if everyone needs to transcode. I think people get around this by splitting libraries between h264 and h265 plus 1080p and 4k so clients can get what will direct play instead of needing transcoding. ALSO, you need all of the clients to set their clients to Direct Play instead of wanting 720p 4 megabits.

gariig fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 13, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

200GB is block volume storage space, not outbound transfer (of which Oracle appears to give you 10TB).

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

All this talk makes it sound easier to just hang a usb3 jbod enclosure off of an ultra small form factor PC.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

astral posted:

200GB is block volume storage space, not outbound transfer (of which Oracle appears to give you 10TB).

This stuck out to me

quote:

Flexible Load Balancer: 1 instance, 10 Mbps
If that's really 10mbps of bandwidth you'll only get 1 stream at a time. I have to imagine that's how you don't run a production service on the free tier and need to pay Oracle

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There are some Plex users out there who use rclone to host and sync encrypted Plex libraries with an "unlimited" Gsuite account with Google Drive, but the setup seemed pretty advanced and I'd always be worried Google would eventually shut me down or something. It is possible, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oysters Autobio posted:

What would be the cheapest for being able to support 4-5 users?

If everything is direct streaming, you could do 50 users!

I think maybe you are approaching this incorrectly. You don't know what the load will be on your 4-5 users, but you want to spend the least amount of money to do it. How is that supposed to be figured out? Maybe come up with a budget first.