Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I love FFX with every fiber of my being but I fully recognize it’s a goddamn mess. And will rarely engage with the Blitzball recruitment beyond giving Brother 99 gil so he can carry my team.

Though speaking of, Keepa is actually pretty good… once he’s super high level. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Didn't Half Life, or some variant of it, have people dying by comically exploding into a couple organs and maybe a skull that would plop to the ground? I can picture it in my mind, but not having luck finding animations..

Blood 2 was a gigantic pile of poo poo and quite possibly the worst sequel ever but I did enjoy the way the bodies just kind of exploded into a stream of blood and some limbs. Not enough to not immediately erase it, but it was one tiny nice thing in a giant bowl of poo poo .

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Weirdly, I've never had much trouble with blitzball even with the starting team. This is mostly due to Tidus being OP though and the fact that I've put far too many hours into that stupid minigame throughout my life.

I think there's a certain joy to making at least three of your characters into demi-gods and beating the bonus bosses one time, but holy moly, never again. They really went too far with it, and even if you have boosted all of your stats to 255 and crafted the best armour, Penance can still take like 45 minutes to take down (I believe some of the later games went even stupider in this direction?). What I did enjoy about the re-releases though is all the North American players finally getting to experience the inconvenience of the Dark Aeons, since the International version is the only version that ever got released for the PS2 in Europe. Now you too get to experience the "joys" of having to backtrack to Besaid upon getting to Macalania Woods if you want to get Auron's final limit break while it's still useful!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The superboss in FF12, Yiazmat, has like 50 million hp, BUT

You can save in the middle of the fight at your leisure

So they got better with it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Soldier of Fortune 1 and 2 were marketed entirely on just how gruesome and realistic the bodies could be hosed up by bullets.

I haven't played it in forever, but I DID like it in Soldier of Fortune 2... like, after a shootout, you could go around and look at the bodies. You could see where you hit them, how you hosed them up. It was meant to be edgy garbage of the era but I rather liked it for reasons that weren't explicitly that.

I like seeing blood and bodies that don't go away for the same reason I like seeing busted chairs and chipped cement pillars with rebar exposed after a gunfight.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As esoteric as it is, the side-content to FFXII: Zodiac Age is far better than X.

Nothing is gated behind a minigame, it's distributed across the story instead of being backlogged to the end, and there is a hard cap to your power potential. A level 60 character with a maxed grid and the best gear can take down anything. In X you have to grind for every little stat boost and you are not free to customize your equipment at all given the sheer cost of materials.

You will need a map for the Great Crystal, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I replayed FFX a few years ago and Wakka's celestial weapon was the only one I didn't bother to get. Dodging 200 lightning bolts is mindless, winning 3 whole seasons of blitzball is just masochism.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

exquisite tea posted:

I replayed FFX a few years ago and Wakka's celestial weapon was the only one I didn't bother to get. Dodging 200 lightning bolts is mindless, winning 3 whole seasons of blitzball is just masochism.
I think I'd be more into it if the prizes were always Wakka's overdrives and weapon, but the fact that you either have to play a few tournaments until the right prizes show up or reset all data until you get the right prize but start every league from scratch really kills it.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Jan 12, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Harvestella: once each day you can “take a break” and eat a meal from your inventory at a save point, which restores much more stamina than eating it normally. the first time you do this for particular meals, it can trigger a conversation between some of your party members about some topic or other, which adds some much-needed character to them because they barely interact with each other in the game’s actual story. It’s a nice inclusion.

At a certain part of the story, a message appeared that said something like “Break time conversations will no longer happen” and that was just…the end of them! I’m several chapters after that point and they haven’t come back. none of the ones I saw were something that would conflict with the story so I don’t know why they’re gone, and I wasn’t able to cook most of the types of food in the game before they vanished either so I probably missed a bunch of them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Heavy Rain: I had to refund because the gamepad controls are so awful, which gated me from enjoying the hilarious plot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Heavy Rain: I had to refund because the gamepad controls are so awful, which gated me from enjoying the hilarious plot.

[quietly, in sympathy] Shauuun...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It certainly gave The Last of Us a perfect blueprint to work off of. If your mature, adult game begins with the death of a child, it should be tragic, as opposed to hilarious.

Why kind of ten year old gives a poo poo about balloons?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It certainly gave The Last of Us a perfect blueprint to work off of. If your mature, adult game begins with the death of a child, it should be tragic, as opposed to hilarious.

Why kind of ten year old gives a poo poo about balloons?

I mean, if you make them into a hammer or sword they can use to annoy their siblings or parents with, I could see it

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I found it hilarious that Ethan could utterly clown his son in a sword fight and not let him win.

He's basically a French (?) version of the Competitive Dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MigZFRWYHg

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think there's a certain joy to making at least three of your characters into demi-gods and beating the bonus bosses one time, but holy moly, never again. They really went too far with it, and even if you have boosted all of your stats to 255 and crafted the best armour, Penance can still take like 45 minutes to take down (I believe some of the later games went even stupider in this direction?).

It's an MMO so not directly comparable but people spent 18 continuous hours trying to beat Pandemonium Warden in FFXI and had to stop when they became physically ill

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The funny thing about Penance is that he is not immune to Doom so depending on your setup it could be easier to just cast that at the start and survive for 255 turns.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like Metal Gear Rising's style of ultra violence.

Youre just cutting through robots and you see cool(red hot) metal crosssections. They're just robots Jack.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cutting Monsoon into 100 plus red hot pieces and finishing with a judo kick to his head to knock it off his body, only for his head to proceed to CONTINUE MONOLOUGING amongst the triangular pieces on the floor was a hilarious denouement to that fight.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's no way Final Fantasy X is 22 years old. It's the new Final Fantasy game, it just came out! I just asked my friend why it looks better than Gamecube games when the Gamecube is meant to have better graphics! I had that conversation very very recently, surely! You're having a laugh!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

2house2fly posted:

There's no way Final Fantasy X is 22 years old. It's the new Final Fantasy game, it just came out! I just asked my friend why it looks better than Gamecube games when the Gamecube is meant to have better graphics! I had that conversation very very recently, surely! You're having a laugh!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FFX is perfectly dated for me because i remember being able to play it on 9/11 despite it being a weekday because my mother was distracted

e: looking back the dates aren’t right so I guess I played spyro or something instead. A great day of gaming regardless

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Jan 13, 2023

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Elden Ring takes a pretty serious nosedive after Leyndell. It just becomes a chore because suddenly every enemy, especially past Snowfield, hits like a truck. It takes my +10 unique weapon two hits to kill a rat. Never mind that bigger enemies have like ten times the health they should, and way too many of them teleport to you or spawn on top of you with no warning(???)

I was really loving the game but somewhere around Mountaintops it became a completely merciless grind that requires 100% attention and it feels like I should be getting paid for working this hard.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Thoughtless posted:

Elden Ring takes a pretty serious nosedive after Leyndell. It just becomes a chore because suddenly every enemy, especially past Snowfield, hits like a truck. It takes my +10 unique weapon two hits to kill a rat. Never mind that bigger enemies have like ten times the health they should, and way too many of them teleport to you or spawn on top of you with no warning(???)

I was really loving the game but somewhere around Mountaintops it became a completely merciless grind that requires 100% attention and it feels like I should be getting paid for working this hard.

There's a huge difficulty spike there. It's really a "git gud" check or if you're a scrub like me a "do you have 60 vit" check

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

My favorite go-to example is Left4Dead where I could take or leave the zombies, just let me explore abandoned urban locations in the middle of the night (or sun-drenched afternoon in the case of some of 2's maps).

Play Infra.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's surprising to me that they've rebalanced so much of Elden Ring but they've never really done anything with the HP values of the enemies in the late game. That difficulty spike must really be part of the vision

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Dead Space 3 hit a great middle ground regarding this facet. You are traveling to a frozen 200 year old fleet, and so all of the necromorphs are still transformed humans but they're all old and mummified soldiers comprised of multiple people. They burst out of the snow wearing completely dehumanizing snowsuits and so on. Clicking and gurgling and grumbling noises instead of humanoid yelling. It really rides the line between that grotesque body horror and something alien and intentionally not able to be understood, so many hands and fingers just sticking out randomly. Once the human enemies show up and start getting taken over like idiots, the gory screaming slashers from previous games return occasionally and when they do they have a huge impact!

edit: The lurker enemies for example, previously babies which attacked you with their own spinal vertebrae as projectiles, are now malformed sled dogs. Y'know, because nobody looking for alien artifacts on an ice planet would really have time to get it on!

There's still a need for sled dogs in a future where we have the technology to colonise space?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There's still a need for sled dogs in a future where we have the technology to colonise space?

People like dogs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Re: gore in media

Some people never got past their edgy teenage phase and think gore = quality. I know a guy who dead rear end argues that The Last Airbender needed to show dead burned bodies after fire nation attacks. Or air benders suffocating people in flashbacks.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Len posted:

Some people never got past their edgy teenage phase and think gore = quality. I know a guy who dead rear end argues that The Last Airbender needed to show dead burned bodies after fire nation attacks. Or air benders suffocating people in flashbacks.

I don't know if it's the :420: but I am absolutely losing my poo poo giggling at this. Like how deep did this go, what was the criteria? Was he demanding to see bloody stumps in Looney Toons or Three Stooges?

I knew a kid in high school who was determined to die on a hill of "If there's not naked titties in it, it's not a good movie".

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Infra loving rules

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Len posted:

...Wasn't the entire point of the Air Nomads that they were all pacifists?! Why would they be suffocating people?!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
fake e^ given the FN armor around the temples, theyre the smart kind of pacifists that attack back.

turns out adult monks have some wisdom that even the avatar as kid doesnt have, and know that absolute pacifism might be bad in some cases.

Len posted:

the cartoon??

or lovely m night live action movie?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

serefin99 posted:

...Wasn't the entire point of the Air Nomads that they were all pacifists?! Why would they be suffocating people?!

They didn't kill them, the lack of air did

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

They didn't kill them, the lack of air did

A natural death, you can't survive without air. Simple fact.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
IIRC, Legend of Korra does have an airbender suffocate someone on screen. But he's a bad guy and Korra was aimed at more of a teenage audience.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dear games: please include different controller button icons in your game - especially when I know your game was released on every console - and let me choose which icons to use. Don't try to autodetect what controller I'm using. Looking at you, Dead Cells.

Also, if you insist on only having Xbox controller prompts even though I know drat well you released on every console, Witcher 3, actually use button icons, don't just show me a blue X and expect me to remember you mean Square, not the button with a blue X on my DualShock 4. :mad:

Just put it on the options screen, dicks!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Digimon Story: Lost Evolution is a pretty solid conclusion to the trilogy of DS digimon world games. It's every bit as tedious and grindy as the other two, and it wraps everything up neatly and has so much poo poo it's a send off to that little world and it's a shame there had never been a localization of it until the fan translation.

So here's the stupid arbitrary thing that bothers me about it: I know there's like, way too loving many digimon to ever put them all in a single game so they usually stick with fan favorites/whatever's on TV at the time; but they absolutely cut some digimon from DS and Dusk/Dawn when including new digimon. I miss hit dudes like "Ball With Chainsaw" and "Ball With Machete", to fill out the multiple lines of "Ball with arms" digimon that are so weirdly iconic. In fact, the poop digimon isn't in this one either. It's cool you can get some of the unplayable bosses from the previous games though. Not just that, but they also did away with two of the most annoying long running features of digimon games: traditionally fused digimon don't require you to have and consume two digimon in your party now, and signature skills are now just usually the highest level skill a digimon learns and can be passed on like any other, rather than being an unmovable skill that throws balance out of whack. Looking at you, Cyber Sleuth, with that last one where, where thanks to DEF ignore, war greymon was basically just flat out better than omegamon, and roughly half the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oh believe me, it's in the backlog.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Agents are GO! posted:

Dear games: please include different controller button icons in your game - especially when I know your game was released on every console - and let me choose which icons to use. Don't try to autodetect what controller I'm using. Looking at you, Dead Cells.

Also, if you insist on only having Xbox controller prompts even though I know drat well you released on every console, Witcher 3, actually use button icons, don't just show me a blue X and expect me to remember you mean Square, not the button with a blue X on my DualShock 4. :mad:

Just put it on the options screen, dicks!

IMO, they don't even need to go to the trouble of making a whole options screen for it. Just use the loving windows default symbols for what controller buttons are, i.e. numbers in little circles, instead of just loving ASSUMING that I have an xbox controller.

or worse, some games display xbox controller buttons even when I'm not using controller input at all. I'm over here tryna figure out what button "(X)" is and it ends up being right mouse button or left ctrl or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DontMockMySmock posted:

Just use the loving windows default symbols for what controller buttons are, i.e. numbers in little circles, instead of just loving ASSUMING that I have an xbox controller.

that's an insanely stupid idea holy poo poo
actively makes everything worse